StuG III Review

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

EPICANDY0131 #1 Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles

The StuG III (Ausf. G), one of the best middle tier tank destroyers. This German beast has great mobility and a punchy gun to go along with it. Even the armor at times, can hold up quite nicely. I may not be the best in this machine, but a review can be helpful for those who don't really get how this vehicle works.

[Credentials] Of 63 battles to elite this tank, 71% wins (45w/1d/17l), 57% Survived battles, 877 max exp(I know, I sucked): 1st Class Mastery, 512 average exp, 1161 average damage, 2.0 destruction ratio, and a 1.4 spotting ratio.

Summary: [rundown of major statistics]

The StuG III is based on the Panzer III chassis: the armor layout is 80/30/30. Never, EVER give too much of your side armor to the enemy, unless you are rounding a corner with the front. It has a meager 520 hitpoints at tier 5, which is not really enough for you to take hits deliberately. The tank weighs over 20 tons fully upgraded, and can travel up to 40 km/h, a healthy top speed. The gun packs a great punch, although some consider the L/70's alpha lacking. The view range is a downfall: 220m is Russian-like.

Research Path(s):

*=modules that are already researched from previous vehicles or other lines.

7,5 cm Pak 39 L/48* (Hetzer)/10,5 cm StuH 42 L/28*(Hetzer) -> Maybach HL 120 TR*(Pz III A) -> Maybach 120 TRM*(Pz III A) -> StuG III Ausf. G -> 7,5 Pak 42 L/70

A closer look.

If you have been diligent and have elited the Hetzer, two guns will be available to you. I personally recommend the L/48, but the 10,5 cm derp gun is not incredibly bad, just really unreliable. Going through the initial German 'tank' line, the Pz III A engines all carry over to the StuG III. The engines are an incredible boost to your mobility. the last one increases the hp to 440 from the stock 320 hp. The Ausf. G suspension is a MASSIVE boost to the tank's traverse speed, to 44 deg/s, up by 7 deg/s. I personally researched the gun last because I found that the L/48 with APCR did just fine against 5s and 6s. However, the L/70 can really start to hurt tier 7s. With 8.30 rounds a minute, and 150 penetration with AP is enough for most tanks you will face. For those dug in, like a hull down T1, occasionally loading APCR with 194mm of penetration is a good idea. HE is mostly ineffective, but I took 1 round just to make the pesky T82s back off. For AP/APCR/HE, the alpha damage is 160/160/200 respectively. The accuracy is truly German, with a dispersion of 0.33, and a 1.7sec aim time is wonderful.

Consumables:

The standard.

Multi-Purpose Restoration Pack

Repair Kit

First Aid Kit

OR

Adrenaline/Chocolate

Equipment:

For those of you who keep this TD.

Gun Rammer

Vents

Camo Net/Binoculars

GAMEPLAY:

As a TD driver, you cannot be too aggressive: the low hitpoint pool will not hold up against even lower tier opponents. However, camping from the back is even more useless to the team. On the small maps of Blitz, there is no one camping location that allows a TD driver to dominate by 'sniping'. More often than not, your gun will be reloaded for over a minute, and you will not get a chance to do damage. Finding a middle ground is tough, and it took me awhile too. I usually first rush in to a favorable spot, locate the enemies, and pop a shot into them before ducking back into cover. The gun traverse of the StuG III is fixed in the center, so rounding corners where a heavy awaits you is dangerous. Taking hits to the track will preserve your health, but when enemies find that you are alone and tracked, they WILL target you, and the smarter players will flank you if necessary. The engine/transmission is also mounted in the front, behind the flat lower plate. For this reason, I pack a Repair Kit just in case. A fire can also easily start if the enemy's shell has enough luck. The viewports and top of the tank are also fairly weak, although the obvious target is the huge lower plate.

I believe I have covered most of everything!

Comments and criticism is accepted!

EPICANDY0131[FLYNT]: IS-8; T-54; T32; Tiger II; KV-1S; M4A2E4; T82; M3 Light; T18; BT-2; +2 slots

Recruiter & Trainer of Flyinite

~PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN!!!~

(post stats please)

HereFishyFishy #2 Posted 15 July 2014 - 02:18 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11556 battles
  • [BRSKT]

Good review. I agree with not using the derp gun, it was good in the hetzer, but in the stug, you pretty well always have to load apcr if you want to penetrate. And that reload time makes you a juicy target.   

Annother thing to point out is the stug does not even come close to bouncing shells in the way the hetzer does, so don't expect to take hits out in the open while you reload on that bad boy.

zoom900 #3 Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:20 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4565 battles
  • [MNLX]
:facepalm:One more thing, I see many StuG drivers blundering through all the heavies and mediums thinking they're scouts with their great camo rating, suddenly they're left with only 3 HP...

What tank is most suited for the jungle?

The Tiger:teethhappy:

SergPotato #4 Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6892 battles
Sure that can be a fine day for a noob that plays like that

Proud member of the 501st Clan [501st Reserve] <(owo)

Blitz Blog : BlitzWithSerg

HereFishyFishy #5 Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11556 battles
  • [BRSKT]
It is tempting to make a run with a stug based on how agile it is.  But please don't, it is penetrated by a child throwing a McDonalds bag at it!

SergPotato #6 Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6892 battles
Penetration at the stug III is easy. Shoot the tracks go around and blow it up with some fireworks to kick it back to the garage slot. Or shoot the weakest point which is in the upper part of the hull not the gun deck :)

Proud member of the 501st Clan [501st Reserve] <(owo)

Blitz Blog : BlitzWithSerg

Slengineer007 #7 Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 1695 battles
I agree with all of you. The StuG III is a great tank for camping, but one MUST NEVER run into the open with it, even though it is extremely tempting. Teh reload time is a step backwards, so don;'t expect to be good in the open. I'd rather prefer the Churchill III. 

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube....sdIb97-U-m118Q 

CrimsonMG #8 Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10731 battles
  • [FLOOP]

View PostSlengineer007, on 01 March 2015 - 05:51 PM, said:

I agree with all of you. The StuG III is a great tank for camping, but one MUST NEVER run into the open with it, even though it is extremely tempting. Teh reload time is a step backwards, so don;'t expect to be good in the open. I'd rather prefer the Churchill III. 

Dat bump.

killerwhalejames_steel #9 Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7841 battles

thx for this review :>

I didn't know which guns was best to use.

Heedthelorax #10 Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:06 AM

Private

• Players
  • 35224 battles
  • [SITHS]

Stug III 

Thanks for article, exactly what I wanted to see. I have wide tracks on mine. Will swap out for camo nets, rammer isn't needed i don't think.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users