Alexbuildit's guide to the M3 light (to sell or not)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

alexbuildit #1 Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

Hello and welcome to yet another long (but hopefully interesting) guide! Today we will take a look at the Russian tier three light tank, the M3 light. Since we get this tank (again) i made a guide for you to decide if you should sell it or not. I try to produce quality content, let me know how to improve! To view my equally extensive and in-depth reviews, click the link! Tiger II Jagdtiger Pz. Kpfw 38h 735 (f) A-32 Valentine II Panther 1 Hellcat Churchill 1

A M3 light tank outside a Russian warehouse somewhere near Kubinka

History: This tank has one of the richest histories of WW2, being one of the most produced tanks of that day and age. 13,859 of these were built (Though not all had the same turret or gun, as the war progressed modifications for a better gun/turret became necessary) through 1941-1943 and over 1,500 were sent to Russia under the lend-lease act. It was very easy to manufacture, easy to transport, and easy to train crews in. Their were four crew members crammed into this tank. The performance of this tank was extraordinary in the first years of the war, but became very obsolete as the war progressed into the later years when it couldn't penetrate most axis tanks. In those years it was attached to troop brigades just for anti-infantry purposes. The russians had trouble with breakdown's in wintertime due to the unstable track and bogey system if it froze up. Eventually they found many other uses for these tanks. They were re-designated as command transports, minesweepers, crew trainers, and my favorite variation-the Anti-Aircraft version.

This tank, due to massive numbers produced, is found in many museums even today. A true American legend if their ever was one.

Maneuverability: 9/10 (Engine Continental W-670) One of the only strong points is its high speed and turn rate. It's better than the Comet speed/traverse wise. A VERY high 40 degrees of hull traverse, and an equally high 40 degrees of turret traverse….Thats 80 degrees of traverse when both are in motion! The speed limit is comparable to the T2 Light…. a max speed limit of 61 K/ph! This isn't a lie either, it reaches this speed very easily, and holds it steadily. These stats can get you in trouble just as fast as your tank's speed limit…. with great speed comes great responsibility, don't YOLO scout or overextend. The reason it has such high K/ph is the weight and engine power…. a wimpy 12 tons of weight, and a extraordinary 268 horse power engine. Yes, this is THE best part of this tank. 

Firepower: 6/10 (Gun 37mm M5) Wow, crap alpha, high reload! This reminds me a bit again of the Comet…. The penetration is sort-of sufficient, though APCR is recommended for some tier fours such as the Hetzer. The penetration is 36-60 with AP, a good 52-87 with APCR, and a low 14-24 with HE. The damage per shot is scarily bad at 30-50 with both AP and APCR, and 37-62 with HE. The redeeming factor is the reload time however, a VERY high 15.67 Rpm without buffs from crew skills consumables, etc. The total damage per minute of this on average is 626.8, not bad. The aiming time is a very nice 1.9 seconds, and the dispersion is very actually bad at 0.46 per 100 meters. The bad part is the Alpha, people don't normally take a look at its other stats concerning the gun though. Honestly only the alpha and dispersion are terribad. 

Armor: 5/10 220 hp below average. The armor leaves a lit to be desired, but does perform satisfactory. It actually has great armor for a light tank, in front at least. 38mm for the front and turret front (With exception to the drivers hatch) will stop all auto cannons using AP at tier two. 25 mm for all the rest of the tank is less than average. The armor will bounce some tier three canons using AP, but forget APCR. So try to show front armor as much as possible, and avoid showing you side at all costs in engagements, as this results in easy crew deaths….The loader particularly. So with most tanks that have speed and a little armor are best played as if they have no armor. Rely on your speed no the armor.

Gameplay: This feels a lot like a weaker armored lesser hp comet at tier three, and I have had great success playing it as such. Use your great speed to flank, get out of bad situations, and rapid fire enemies to the dust of the ground. Granted this may take quite a few shots with such terribad alpha. Try to stay hidden if multiple opponents nearby...this tank is quite fragile when penetrated. Peek a boom is a good tactic, especially with a low aim time. Hull down is a bad idea with a large hatch that sticks out and has VERY low armor. Stick with the mediums, and when low tier play second line support and spam APCR. Play this tank like it has no armor at high tier matches and enjoy the rewards. At high tier, you can trust your armor to a little degree but not against large calibre guns or tds. Never lead the charge, you are support, not front line combat. Sniping is not recommended as your speed would not be put to good use. To help other tanks, if you cant pen anywhere, rapid fire out the opponents treads.  Use supplies and equipment that improve firing speed.

Ammo percentages:          HE 5%   AP 60%    APCR 35%

Equipment:                        Vents    Gun Rammer    Gun Laying Drive

Consumables:                   Adrenaline (MUST HAVE….NOT OPTIONAL)  Extra Combat Rations    Multi-Repair Kit

I hope you enjoyed this review, and if you did please comment! Let me know what I can do better! Till next time tankers, Blitz ON!

Youtube Channel: ALEXBUILDIT PRODUCTIONS

Leader of the 501st, Pm for details.  

_JuJu #2 Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:18 PM

Community Scumbag

• Players
  • 27783 battles
  • [TENET]
Good guide but yeah..... Sell..... Again....

2 Time Twister Cup NA Finalist

Las Vegas 17/Seattle 18 Mobile Masters Finalist

Spring Season Professional Champion

Too Many Tourney Championship Rings To Count

Ookla_the_Mok #3 Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:29 PM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28800 battles
  • [BRSKT]

The only thing I would add is that I have run it with optics on it before instead of gun laying drive. It fires fast enough for my reflexes and a bit of extra spotting can be helpful considering the armor. Also, thats an expensive amount of APCR, I only carry five in it. 

Source: Win about 58%

Thanks for giving some history as thats the real reason to know about this tank.

BRSKT Discord - Now 46% Dale Doback, 28% Gritty, and 26% folklore.
Alternatively you can check out
 [BRSKT]  

Kevin_Thebeast #4 Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26789 battles
  • [DMONS]

A British guy salvaged something like 15 of these in Brazil a while back. Stuff I can only dream about.

MRKKW #5 Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:43 PM

EDM Addict

• Players
  • 20723 battles
  • [_V2_]
I don't have this tank so i'l take it anyway. Also the Anti-aircraft version looks awesome! I kinda wish it was in blitz.

nostuck2150 #6 Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 43191 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Thank you again for the reviews.

In all honesty I can't wait to try this little tank..

alexbuildit #7 Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View Postnostuck2150, on 25 June 2015 - 01:45 PM, said:

Thank you again for the reviews.

In all honesty I can't wait to try this little tank..

Yup! Id toon with a tank with high alpha to be safe. 

View PostMRKKW, on 25 June 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

I don't have this tank so i'l take it anyway. Also the Anti-aircraft version looks awesome! I kinda wish it was in blitz.

Would be interesting...

View Postthe_knave, on 25 June 2015 - 01:40 PM, said:

A British guy salvaged something like 15 of these in Brazil a while back. Stuff I can only dream about.

Cool….

View Postkatietx76, on 25 June 2015 - 01:29 PM, said:

The only thing I would add is that I have run it with optics on it before instead of gun laying drive. It fires fast enough for my reflexes and a bit of extra spotting can be helpful considering the armor. Also, thats an expensive amount of APCR, I only carry five in it. 

Source: Win about 58%

Thanks for giving some history as thats the real reason to know about this tank.

True, I load more APCR then a lot of ppl, just everyone plays it a little differently I guess.

View PostScumbagJuJu, on 25 June 2015 - 01:18 PM, said:

Good guide but yeah..... Sell..... Again....

Lol

Minecraftexpert_25 #8 Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:58 PM

Not a Unicum

• Players
  • 35824 battles
  • [PRAMO]
Keeping this thing long enough to get the free premium days then it's out to the scrapyard!

January 28, 2016- The day Alo8ight moved on in his life from WG and WoTB. You will be missed o7.

March 27, 2017- Dogface takes over as senior producer for WoTB. Fate of Senator_Ratbat unknown.

Block Quote

"The darker the purple, the darker the soul." - Ancient WG proverb. -CrimsonMG

Up up down left right down up left left down <-----my super MLG pro strats 420 no scope headshot hacks (no credit to ksftwe whatsoever)

Blesd12 #9 Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:17 AM

Bulldog Alpha

• Players
  • 11012 battles
  • [RAIDR]
Kept mine cause it was special. Not anymore. Now, we have to sign of experience but our win rates. Been playing since August  2014. I have nothing to show for it.

Bulldog is Here!!! 

"Bulldog will always win! Unless a frickin russian shows up. Dang russian 152 mm.

_ThePinkPanther #10 Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:18 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17848 battles
  • [100T]

there is no rammer

(Subscribe to my youtube channel :^)

https://www.youtube....GZ-kjbnd0gJRC0A

alexbuildit #11 Posted 27 June 2015 - 01:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]

View PostGreyWolf_14, on 26 June 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

there is no rammer

Wow, I am stupid. Coated optics then I guess.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users