WoTB Asia Server Made a Big Step.

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

christian1470 #21 Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39220 battles

View Postinterstellor, on 02 July 2015 - 06:16 AM, said:

you are alright man ! I wonder if people will try to ban campers too, sometimes I am afk, but not because I want to be afk, this ruins my Winrate, but when I am afk, it is always because of a good reason (parents, internet connection disappear, crashes) I don't want to be banned because of one of those reasons !

Those are the same reasons I go AFK on occaision. What makes everyone think that "other players" are doing it for some other "less justified" reason? I like the idea of reporting limited to once a day. Also, there is a big difference between a tank never leaving spawn, and one that sprints straight forward with its turret backwards the player has been disconnected. 

christian1470 #22 Posted 02 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39220 battles
On a lighter note, get enough screenshots of a spawn camper in the same position, you might be able to get him banned for being AFK :P

evil00genius #23 Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:22 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 43961 battles
  • [III-X]

So here is the interesting question I need to ask: why is WG expecting us to report afk tanks?  They have the data.  They know exactly who has and has not sent commands to the servers once the game starts.  They know who joined and bailed, who bounced to garage after seeing the lineup, and who had a client stop sending data in the middle of the game.

Why doesn't WG use the data they already have to deal with afk users?

SkiFletch #24 Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30801 battles
  • [SRT]

A one day ban for a first offense is a little harsh if you ask me.  What am I supposed to do when my infant wakes up screaming as I press battle?  Say, "You know what kid? I realize you probably just woke up from sleep and either have really horrible gas, or just vomited all over your crib or have a fever because you're sick but suck it up!  If I leave this game before it starts and tend to your needs like a parent that cares about you, I risk a ban."  This has happened to me in the past, more than once.  Am I a serial AFK'er?  Jebus no.  Has this happened at least 5 times in my 13,000 games?  Yes.  Would I be banned for 5 days because of this?  Straight up, F that.

Furthermore, you're opening up an avenue for abuse here.  People holding a grudge are more likely to report players they don't like and even go to the extent of photoshopping images.  Gonna require a lot of extra work to weed some of that possibility out.

Why not start small and remove the SERIAL AFKers at once.  Just remove their credits and experience gained for being AFK?  This will prevent the folks with big garages just cycling through tanks on X3-5 weekends for multipliers.  Repeat offenders, start banning, that's fine I suppose, but first offense = ban?  Harsh.  Not sure if I'd still want to play this game harsh.

Herodotus4 #25 Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22482 battles
  • [SRT_]

View PostSkiFletch, on 02 July 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

A one day ban for a first offense is a little harsh if you ask me.  What am I supposed to do when my infant wakes up screaming as I press battle?  Say, "You know what kid? I realize you probably just woke up from sleep and either have really horrible gas, or just vomited all over your crib or have a fever because you're sick but suck it up!  If I leave this game before it starts and tend to your needs like a parent that cares about you, I risk a ban."  This has happened to me in the past, more than once.  Am I a serial AFK'er?  Jebus no.  Has this happened at least 5 times in my 13,000 games?  Yes.  Would I be banned for 5 days because of this?  Straight up, F that.

Furthermore, you're opening up an avenue for abuse here.  People holding a grudge are more likely to report players they don't like and even go to the extent of photoshopping images.  Gonna require a lot of extra work to weed some of that possibility out.

Why not start small and remove the SERIAL AFKers at once.  Just remove their credits and experience gained for being AFK?  This will prevent the folks with big garages just cycling through tanks on X3-5 weekends for multipliers.  Repeat offenders, start banning, that's fine I suppose, but first offense = ban?  Harsh.  Not sure if I'd still want to play this game harsh.

If it is only for those AFK all battle, you drive forward until you leave the spawn and then go AFK, otherwise point your tank at the bad guys and gun the engine while you close the app, you will drive straight at them and maybe get a scout medal.

"it is not because I was "brought to my knees" by some noobs, rather because I was unable to bring enough red noobs to their knees." -Vsavsa1

"I excel at mediocracy" -xjs

HereFishyFishy #26 Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11605 battles
  • [BRSKT]

This is an Awful thing to implement IMO.  Sure AFK is a problem sometimes, but you have to think of the situation. 

No one plays the game to lose as much as possible, I have gone AFK my fair share of times and i don't intend on losing a match ever.  However i do have kids and a wife, and sometimes that takes precedence over my gaming.  Someone might need me and i have to drop the game and go, sure its not ideal but it does happen.  The other issue is connection problems, we all have isp issues from time to time, should you be punished for that? 

I am sure the Admins would be dilligent in policing this were it to roll out in the NA server, maybe contacting the player that was reported for an explanation before getting excited about banning to understand the situation.  If i started taking on Bans because i have to change a diaper, or grab my little one when she fell and bumped her head i would be looking for a new game to play awfully quick.

DoragonSenshi #27 Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:36 PM

2nd Lieutenant

• Players
  • 18735 battles

I think it basically should be if you were AFK the entire game.  

With that said, if I ever go AFK, I Yolo and die so that I'm not AFK so :)

SAu 40 > AMX 40

Fight me^

SkiFletch #28 Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30801 battles
  • [SRT]

View PostOnemeaus, on 02 July 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

This is an Awful thing to implement IMO.  Sure AFK is a problem sometimes, but you have to think of the situation. 

No one plays the game to lose as much as possible, I have gone AFK my fair share of times and i don't intend on losing a match ever.  However i do have kids and a wife, and sometimes that takes precedence over my gaming.  Someone might need me and i have to drop the game and go, sure its not ideal but it does happen.  The other issue is connection problems, we all have isp issues from time to time, should you be punished for that? 

I am sure the Admins would be dilligent in policing this were it to roll out in the NA server, maybe contacting the player that was reported for an explanation before getting excited about banning to understand the situation.  If i started taking on Bans because i have to change a diaper, or grab my little one when she fell and bumped her head i would be looking for a new game to play awfully quick.

Amen.  If you have kids, you "get it."

SkiFletch #29 Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30801 battles
  • [SRT]

And we've been told all the time by WG staff that this game is a mobile game, and by it's very nature will entail folks having to put the phone down and do something in real life.  Now we're gonna punish folks who have to do that?  :sceptic:

SimpleOrdMinAnthony #30 Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:46 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 14466 battles
  • [MOM5]

View Postplayer_1234567890, on 02 July 2015 - 04:14 AM, said:

Fabulous! Fantastic! Hallelujah! :izmena:

I am happy with the penalties that WG has decided to implement! There's even a permanent ban that WG may enact! This is wonderful news!

Sanctions

• 1st Offense – 1 day game ban
  • 2nd Offense – 3 days game ban
  • 3rd Offense – 7 days game ban
  • 4th Offense – 14 days game ban
  •  
  • Each situation will be judged on a case-by-case basis. Wargaming reserves the right to judge if players will receive a ban. A permanent ban on an offender's account will be issued in severe circumstances where a temporary ban is deemed insufficient.

As soon as this comes to the NA server, I'll be reporting everybody that I see! This is great! I do not care if life situations happen. I do not care if you have to change the diaper on your baby. I do not care what your excuse is. If you believe that there is a possibility that you might have to leave the match, then do not enter any match to begin with! Otherwise, you must suffer the consequences for your actions and your violations of the rules! :justwait:

This is great! First Failtoons have finally been dealt with and now soon afterwards, they are taking care of AFK players! Woah! These are big developments and a positive step forward for the game and for all players!:playing:

THIS

My Device (Android)Samsung Galaxy Note Pro--12.2''

Clan: Proud to be a M.O.M

Looney-Tooners founded by myself & Acrisis

WhaleSmacker #31 Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17137 battles
  • [SPUD]
With all these problems they did say they will review it by a case by case basis. But I believe that true "serial AFKers" will just lie as this is very much honor based. This might be a step forward but more like a step forward and 2 steps back. I say instead have in game reporting and one report per day, and those who report usually often should be investigated, to see their behavior and if they're just a constant rager. I'm just throwing ideas out here.

NevirSayDie #32 Posted 02 July 2015 - 03:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10007 battles
  • [TAN60]

I'm glad that WG is trying to make Blitz's second-ever gameplay improvement, right on the heels of fail-toon removal! But seriously devs, this isn't hard. This has already been done in hundreds of games--you don't need to ask people to send reports or ban people for an entire DAY on their first offense (diaper, important phone call, etc). First, players shouldn't have to send reports about such a simple issue to fix, and second, it will take waaaay too much time to review reports and implement bans. And reporting is unreliable, so it won't even catch 10% of people who regularly go afk. 

Just write a simple addition to the game's code that notices when someone goes AFK and automatically warns them after one or two offenses. Then automatically lock them out for an hour or two on the third offense. If you don't have any programmers who know how to do that, hire one. It's pretty standard and there are tons of people who know how to do it. 

player_1234567890 #33 Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 47602 battles
  • [OMK]

View PostSkiFletch, on 02 July 2015 - 10:42 AM, said:

And we've been told all the time by WG staff that this game is a mobile game, and by it's very nature will entail folks having to put the phone down and do something in real life.  Now we're gonna punish folks who have to do that?  :sceptic:

People have been using the "it's just a game" excuse for far too long in my opinion.

Certain people have been abusing that mentality, and if somebody is a serial AFKer, and they are often letting their entire team down, and if they believe that it's not a big deal, then it shouldn't be a big deal to them either if they get banned from playing the game for a day or two. It's just a game after all! It's not the end of the world if a serial AFKer gets banned for a bit! Let them go and ruin some other game in the meantime, while they are enjoying their ban! :justwait:

Anachro12 #34 Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9872 battles
  • [III-S]
If someone is a serial afk'er, WG should be able to mine their data and tell who is doing that. No need to implement a report and ban system. Why don't they just automate it?

player_1234567890 #35 Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 47602 battles
  • [OMK]

View PostAnachro12, on 02 July 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

If someone is a serial afk'er, WG should be able to mine their data and tell who is doing that. No need to implement a report and ban system. Why don't they just automate it?

It's perhaps not that simple to automate as anybody believes.

Edited by player_1234567890, 02 July 2015 - 04:23 PM.

Anachro12 #36 Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9872 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postplayer_1234567890, on 02 July 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

I bet then when you get reported they will probably look. If you are a serial afk'er you will get the ban. If not then you will get a warning or nothing. That would seem fair to me. I know my battery has run out on me and I didn't intentionally afk. I also know that server reset has caused me to be ejected and miss battle reentry. I would also hate to see Dad's and Mom's get penalized. Or those whose internet suddenly crashes.

Edited by Anachro12, 02 July 2015 - 04:29 PM.

Pheldagriff #37 Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9131 battles

View PostMSixteen, on 02 July 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

I'm actually excited about this news! I mean, I'll probably only report the players that were AFK the ENTIRE match (even though I've had to do it myself because I have to take care of my wheelchair bound mother.

If you play through a good portion of the match, and something crappy happens it usually isn't your fault. But if you're AFK the entire match, it probably is.

the moments when he couldve been ur mobile meat shield...

if just wasnt 6miles away

"Sucking is the First Step to Being Sorta Good at Something"

Alo8ight #38 Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:31 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 1810 battles

View Postevil00genius, on 02 July 2015 - 05:22 AM, said:

So here is the interesting question I need to ask: why is WG expecting us to report afk tanks?  They have the data.  They know exactly who has and has not sent commands to the servers once the game starts.  They know who joined and bailed, who bounced to garage after seeing the lineup, and who had a client stop sending data in the middle of the game.

Why doesn't WG use the data they already have to deal with afk users?

The reporting process that Asia is testing is an extra step to validate each "potential" AFK report. Since this is at a testing stage (as Senator_Ratbat has mentioned), we will measure the overall sentiment of the program and decide on the best optimal process we can use moving forward.

player_1234567890 #39 Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 47602 battles
  • [OMK]

View PostAnachro12, on 02 July 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

I would also hate to see Dad's and Mom's get penalized. 

I would love to see dads and moms get penalized. "Dads" and "moms" are no more special than anybody else, and the rules should apply equally for everybody. If somebody commits a crime, then they can't stand in front of the judge and say "Well, your honor, I am a dad". Who cares! I say punish them all!:izmena:

Also, as somebody else pointed out above, the worst serial AFKers and various other rule violators in this game are also very likely to be serial liars.

Edited by player_1234567890, 02 July 2015 - 04:37 PM.

NevirSayDie #40 Posted 02 July 2015 - 04:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10007 battles
  • [TAN60]

View Postplayer_1234567890, on 02 July 2015 - 04:23 PM, said:

Yes it is. Automated afk-detection is pretty standard for Online games. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users