Serg's Tank Guide 2: IS, The Tiger's Nemesis

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

SergPotato #1 Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6895 battles

Hello guys, this is SergPotato and today for "Serg's Tank Guide", I will introduce you the IS. The IS or named "Iosif Stalin" or "Joseph Stalin", was one of the successful vehicles in the IS tank tree.

This vehicle was introduced in late 1944 after encountering tanks of the Tiger II, and Panthers in the battlefield. The Soviet intelligence also had secret information about new prototype vehicles and heavily armoured tanks. To counter this, they though of a new vehicle designated the IS-1, it's hull was renewed from the KV (Kliment Voroshilov) series with thicker armor, and had the turret of the experimental Kv-85. It's main gun was the 85mm D-5T gun from the T-34-85 (not the ZiS-3) because it was able to destroy Tiger's and sometimes Panthers. But the Soviet Army expected a powerful tank from armor to firepower, the Is-1 was abandoned and the new Is-2 mounted with the 122mm D-25T gun and having extra cast armor.This vehicle was put into combat in the Battle of Berlin fighting the Tiger II's and Panthers. Seeing this vehicle as very successful, later on newer prototypes and Heavy tanks such as the Is-3, Is-4, Is-8, St-1 (T-10) and Is-7 was made. Every tank except the Is-2/3 was not recorded of being in combat but are still put in museums such as the Kubinka Tank Museum.

The IS has a mediocre level of armor at Tier VII, but not pleasing. The armor was amazing in reality, but is somewhat paper because Tier 5's and 6's can penetrate the hull and turret from the front. There is a way to show real Russian bias to your enemies, but how? Below, I will explain the armor, and other stats of this vehicle then tell about the gun.

Armor (Warning: This is only when you shoot it directly; No Angling.)

Spoiler

Modules (Direct Hit)

Spoiler

Tech Tree:

Spoiler

Tips and Tricks to Driving The Behemoth:

The IS looks majestic and powerful from all sides, and the 122 mm gun shows it. This tank is the main tank in the battlefield at top tier, but against Tier IX or VIII, this would be a support / assault. When facing high caliber or guns with stronger penetration, you would angle or make your hull dance. Even the mightiest tank would handle your dance moves. As well, this vehicle has wide tracks and also a sloped side armor on the top, this vehicle is good in side scrape moves. When outnumbered never rush. Your side scraping skills and gun should be what you have to rely on. I will explain which gun and which ammo to use next.

Ammunition

Spoiler

The Do And Don't of Stalin's Heavy Tonk

The Do's

1.) Support always when you are in a high tier match, and when low you are the steel general of the team. Give high alpha damage to the enemy and crush their morale. Peek-a-boom is a method to surprise your enemies and destroy their front line offence / defence.

2.) Dance! Dance! Your armor can be penned directly from the front by Tier V and VI be cautious! Always angle and side scrape. 

3.) When you are using stock, don't use the 85mm at least get the first 100mm or 122mm D-2-5-T. The 85mm won't be enjoyable.

The Don'ts

1.) Flanking is not good for this vehicle if you are the top tier, but if you are the lowest, it is what you should do!

2.) Don't stay alone, against one of more vehicles. If you are you have to pick on the easiest first, but it's better to stay with your teammates!

3.)When researching this vehicle never start from the engine / tracks. Speed doesn't matter, it's the gun and turret!

Thanks for reading! +1 if great! Give feedback and PM me instantly if anything is wrong! Hope to see you on the next guide part 3!

Edited by SergPotato, 05 July 2015 - 10:53 PM.

Proud member of the 501st Clan [501st Reserve] <(owo)

Blitz Blog : BlitzWithSerg

ChickenWangz13 #2 Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3050 battles
hhhmmmmm i see currently grindind for the 122mm on IS. Stock gun is a joke

Edited by ChickenWangz13, 05 July 2015 - 02:03 PM.

LAPPELduvide #3 Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:14 PM

PhD in Dakimakura Engineering and Design M.S. in Waifu Studies

• Players
  • 24316 battles
  • [ANEKI]
Don't tips 1 and 2 contradict each other?

┬┴┬┴┤ (◕ᴗ◕✿├┬┴┬┴┤(ಠ﹏ಠ├┬┴┬

>>>Join [MAHOU/ANEKI] Discord!!!<<<

Best ANIME CLAN in the NA and a nice community for weebs. 

herbie424 #4 Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13353 battles
+1 for your tips!

1Joetom #5 Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 29315 battles
You should probably add: "Turret has weak armor. Don't rely on it to go hull down." I routinely damage and kill Hull down IS tanks by shooting them through the gun mantlet.

Tier 9s and 10s: T110E5, T30, E75, T-54, Centurion 7/1, STB-1, M48 Patton, T110E3, IS-7, IS-4, Obj 140, Obj 263, FV215b, FV215b (183)

Evidence I don't suck: http://wotbstars.com/?usr=1joetom&geo=NA&lng=eng

Commander of IRH Retired from Blitz

Like our amazing signature? Join IRH today and get it for free! PM me for more information. Check out our amazing website here.

Puppachino_ #6 Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:25 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3565 battles
Shame...didnt even mention peek-a-boom...and when playing against higher tiers flanking isnt a bad option...worked quite well but overall good job

chessredpanda #7 Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 23514 battles
  • [DEF_A]
I have researched the Russian med line and that seems to help because the T-44 has the 100mm gun on IS and the T-43 has the other 85mm.I would recommend researching the meds first.On Kv1s right now and almost IS.If you want 85mm go T-43!

Made Su152 damage record with 5205 damage beating previous record by MajorTroller which was 5178.NO LONGER HELD

vvk2 #8 Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 76334 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Once one has the top turret, one can mount a D-2-5T gun from KV-1S. If one didn't research that gun during KV-1S grind, well, one is doing it wrong! :)

Overall, if IS is the top tier in a battle, you can do pretty much anything - you can brawl, challenge any tank head on (which is much harder with KV-1S due to that terrible reload), you can flank, or you can do second line support for other heavies like KV-3. It totally depends on the situation. IS is the most versatile tank of Tier 7. It can do pretty much anything. 

LE_gend_VI #9 Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:10 PM

The man, the myth

• Players
  • 20816 battles
In kv1s id flank if low tier. Get off some high alpha damage shots and then close the distance. 

cashcashme #10 Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6708 battles
  • [SPUD]

Love this tank.

Ahredstealth, on 01 July 2016 said:

I love the new economy.  It's stupid.

"If you can't take the pain, then don't play the game"

#YOLOboy                                                                                                                                                                   Worst timing of anyone in [SPUD(X)]

MSixteen #11 Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:28 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles

View PostSergPotato, on 05 July 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

Hello guys, this is SergPotato and today for "Serg's Tank Guide", I will introduce you the IS. The IS or named "Iosif Stalin" or "Joseph Stalin", was one of the successful vehicles in the IS tank tree.

This vehicle was introduced in late 1944 after encountering tanks of the Tiger II, and Panthers in the battlefield. The Soviet intelligence also had secret information about new prototype vehicles and heavily armoured tanks. To counter this, they though of a new vehicle designated the IS-1, it's hull was renewed from the KV (Kliment Voroshilov) series with thicker armor, and had the turret of the experimental Kv-85. It's main gun was the 85mm D-5T gun from the T-34-85 (not the ZiS-3) because it was able to destroy Tiger's and sometimes Panthers. But the Soviet Army expected a powerful tank from armor to firepower, the Is-1 was abandoned and the new Is-2 mounted with the 122mm D-25T gun and having extra cast armor.This vehicle was put into combat in the Battle of Berlin fighting the Tiger II's and Panthers. Seeing this vehicle as very successful, later on newer prototypes and Heavy tanks such as the Is-3, Is-4, Is-8, St-1 (T-10) and Is-7 was made. Every tank except the Is-2/3 was not recorded of being in combat but are still put in museums such as the Kubinka Tank Museum.

The IS has a mediocre level of armor at Tier VII, but not pleasing. The armor was amazing in reality, but is somewhat paper because Tier 5's and 6's can penetrate the hull and turret from the front. There is a way to show real Russian bias to your enemies, but how? Below, I will explain the armor, and other stats of this vehicle then tell about the gun.

Armor (Warning: This is only when you shoot it directly; No Angling.)

Spoiler

Modules (Direct Hit)

Spoiler

Tech Tree:

Spoiler

Tips and Tricks to Driving The Behemoth:

The IS looks majestic and powerful from all sides, and the 122 mm gun shows it. This tank is the main tank in the battlefield at top tier, but against Tier IX or VIII, this would be a support / assault. When facing high caliber or guns with stronger penetration, you would angle or make your hull dance. Even the mightiest tank would handle your dance moves. As well, this vehicle has wide tracks and also a sloped side armor on the top, this vehicle is good in side scrape moves. When outnumbered never rush. Your side scraping skills and gun should be what you have to rely on. I will explain which gun and which ammo to use next.

Ammunition

Spoiler

The Do And Don't of Stalin's Heavy Tonk

The Do's

1.) Support always when you are in a high tier match, and when low you are the steel general of the team. Give high alpha damage to the enemy and crush their morale.

2.) Dance! Dance! Your armor can be penned directly from the front by Tier V and VI be cautious! Always angle and side scrape.

3.) When you are using stock, don't use the 85mm at least get the first 100mm or 122mm D-2-5-T. The 85mm won't be enjoyable.

The Don'ts

1.) Don't flank. it's 1000% stupidity to the max.

2.) Always keep in support. The reload time gives the enemy advantage for you to flank you.

3.)When researching this vehicle never start from the engine / tracks. Speed doesn't matter, it's the gun and turret!

Thanks for reading! +1 if great! Give feedback and PM me instantly if anything is wrong! Hope to see you on the next guide part 3!

I underlined the parts of the guide that were wrong. I bolded the part that made zero sense.

The IS is one of the best brawling T7 heavies, if not THE best. You should ALWAYS be on the front lines in a T7 match, not in a support position.

In a T8 match, the IS is a less armored, more maneuverable IS-6, considering they have the same gun. THIS is when you want to be a support tank just behind the T8 heavies. But if you DON'T have any T8 heavies, you can still do well as the front line vehicle if you use clever positioning and cover.

The IS in a T9 match should play the same as in a T8 match. It has the same gun as the IS-6, so it will have similar performance. Be a second line support tank, and make sure no sneaky T-54's try to flank your E 75s, and you'll have a great match.

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

SergPotato #12 Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6895 battles

View PostZennosha, on 05 July 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

Don't tips 1 and 2 contradict each other?

The Simpler The Better :trollface:

SergPotato #13 Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6895 battles

View Post1Joetom, on 06 July 2015 - 01:22 AM, said:

You should probably add: "Turret has weak armor. Don't rely on it to go hull down." I routinely damage and kill Hull down IS tanks by shooting them through the gun mantlet.

Got'cha!

View PostPat32E, on 06 July 2015 - 01:25 AM, said:

Shame...didnt even mention peek-a-boom...and when playing against higher tiers flanking isnt a bad option...worked quite well but overall good job

Editing In!

SergPotato #14 Posted 05 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 6895 battles

View PostMSixteen, on 06 July 2015 - 07:28 AM, said:

I underlined the parts of the guide that were wrong. I bolded the part that made zero sense.

The IS is one of the best brawling T7 heavies, if not THE best. You should ALWAYS be on the front lines in a T7 match, not in a support position.

In a T8 match, the IS is a less armored, more maneuverable IS-6, considering they have the same gun. THIS is when you want to be a support tank just behind the T8 heavies. But if you DON'T have any T8 heavies, you can still do well as the front line vehicle if you use clever positioning and cover.

The IS in a T9 match should play the same as in a T8 match. It has the same gun as the IS-6, so it will have similar performance. Be a second line support tank, and make sure no sneaky T-54's try to flank your E 75s, and you'll have a great match.

oh, I was hurrying and sometimes half-awake so I sometimes forget what I was writing. :harp:

MSixteen #15 Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:32 AM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles
you still shouldn't flank in the IS even if you're bottom tier. your gun is more than capable of hurting top tier heavies. you just have to play like a glass cannon when you're bottom tier.

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users