70 replies to this topic

Ksftwe #1 Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25706 battles
  • [PRAMO]

POPULAR

Tier X US Heavy Tank: T110E5

Ever wondered why all the unicums drive E5s?

Greetings! If you're here, it means one of three things: one, you recently got yourself a shiny new T110E5, but just can't seem to get the hang of how to dominate the battlefield with it.  Two, you just bumped into a platoon of 70% players who just wrecked you in their E5s, and you are now bashing yourself and asking "WHY CAN'T I DO THAT?" Three, you're exceptionally bored and just like reading unnecessary guides for fun. Or just want to point out every tiny flaw in the post. Which is fine too.

Now, please understand that reading this guide won't turn you into an amazing god-mode Hulk-smash-everything super unicum. You can memorize everything in here to the last comma, but to truly master a tank, you need to remember to practice and repeat. Furthermore, this guide is specifically directed towards beginner or intermediate E5 drivers, and will probably be of little help to an experienced player. If you are, however, one of those experienced players looking to improve, I highly suggest you read A7X0's Advanced T110E5 Guide, created as a follow-up to this guide.

Let's begin! (If you want a far less in-depth collection of tips, skip down to Summary)

Introduction

The T110E5 is the (only) American Tier X Heavy Tank, following the M103 - researchable for 240,000 XP and purchasable for 6,100,000 credits.

Commonly referred to as the 'E5,' this tank is famous for one thing: versatility. With a very responsive gun, superb mobility (for a heavy), and cleverly placed armor "hardpoints," the E5 can accomplish almost any task adequately, while sacrificing specialization for a particular role that it naturally excels at.

This very evenly spread-out distribution of strengths and weaknesses can either be good news or bad news. An experienced player can absolutely abuse the E5's many strengths, while simultaneously hiding its many weaknesses. For the run-of-the-mill player, however, the T110E5's many weaknesses can be very difficult to identify, and strengths tricky to maximize, thus resulting in a sub-par, 45-50% WR. If you're one of the latter, keep on reading!

Stats'Cause numbers are everything in this game apparently

You can find the stats quite easily, so I'll leave 'em here in the spoilers.

Spoiler

StrengthsKnow thy tank, and it will know thee as well 

While the T110E5 technically has a lot of "strengths," they're not exactly strengths, because for everything I'm about to list here, I guarantee there's another tank that can do it better (even disregarding the 215b). But the one thing you should note is how many specific strengths the E5 has, even within the broad areas I am pointing out below.

​Mobility

The T110E5 has it. With a nice 37 kph top speed, fast acceleration, a respectable 25 d/s of traverse speed, and 20 d/s of turret traverse, it's able to not only quickly move around to respond to changing situations, but defend itself at close range by forcing its opponents (particularly those pesky T-54s) to face its front at all times, something many tanks cannot do.

Tricky armor

First, a life lesson for you folks out there: never trust advertisements. Not on TV, not in real life, and not in World of Tanks Blitz. The 254mm of “frontal armor” the T110E5 supposedly has is a lie. Mostly. It’s only found on the tip of the “beak” that is the E5’s hull. The upper plate is only around ~150mm thick, but is extremely well sloped and will likely bounce/autobounce any non-gold shot coming its way. The lower plate is significantly less sloped and is a prominent weakspot.

That being said, the armor is, to say the least, tricky. The unique eggshell-shaped hull of the E5 is not flat, and its odd sloping makes it annoyingly hard to aim properly at a weakspot, especially when the tank is moving. Even the lower glacis is curved (unlike every other heavy) and can give troll bounces. The turret, in addition, has a thick mantlet with tough cheeks (we'll forget about the cupola for now, that's to be addressed later). Especially if you're on a slope, the E5's hull weakspots will shift from condition to condition, making it incredibly annoying to focus on a specific area to shoot at.

Incredible gun

Accuracy. Aim time. Penetration. Reload. The 120mm M58 has it all, and is, without a doubt, one of the most reliable Tier X heavy guns in the game (surpassed only by the British L1A1 found on the Conqueror and FV215b). With 0.35m of dispersion and a pleasant 2.0s of aiming time, this gun will not fail to do exactly as you say most of the time (of course, sometimes, RNG may curse you with a few wild shots that bounce off an ISU, but that's to be expected for every tank). However, one of the best aspects of this gun is its impressive reload time. At 6 rounds per minute, this tank can reload faster than every other heavy (except that dang 215b) by a good margin, ensuring that for every shot you receive, you'll be able to put two back in the enemy.

Great gun depression & elevation

The E5 conforms to the stereotype of American tanks with its excellent gun depression (-8 degrees from the front), which suits it very well to fight on hilly terrain. A hull-down E5 may not be invincible, but always remember that no matter what tank you're in, hull down is always better than being in the open.

Large tracks

Tracks love to eat up damage. Although the T110E5 has miserable side armor, it can be very good at sidescraping due to its track placement. Many shots that should have easily gone through will instead by taken up by the tracks, which saves you a good deal of damage, and, as we just covered, allows you to put not one, but TWO shots back in the enemy.

Weaknesses'Cuz unfortunately no one is perfect

As amazing as this tank is, no one can deny, it has its fair share of weaknesses...all of which in some way relate to a respective strength.

Horrible reverse speed

Oh, you're backing into cover? Sure, just gotta do it at the speed of a T95 with a dead engine and driver trudging over a river. For all the mobility the E5 has, its reverse speed is simply pitiful. DO NOT go too far out of cover, then decide "whoops, backsies!" It won't work like that. If peek-a-booming, make sure you do not poke too far out of that rock, or you may just get a few 150mm shells in your hull.

Conditional armor reliability

Unfortunately, the E5's weaknesses become more exposed the closer you get. As such, despite its (as I previously phrased it) tricky armor, it is not a frontline tank. The lower glacis can be cut through by Tier 8 guns if exposed and unangled, and the large cupola will be a huge, easy target. I don't even think I need to mention that the side armor is basically plastic wrap, so if you are successfully flanked or surrounded, you will not last very long. The best hope is to go out guns blazing. For every impossible-to-hit armor hardpoint the E5 has, it has an equally unimpressive weakspot.

Low alpha damage

While not really a problem as it is compensated by its short reload, it still can be annoying when you're playing 1v1 against an IS-7 and your shot deals just enough damage to put them at 1 hp. Then the accursed Communist scum reloads, and you're dead. Don’t be surprised to get low 300 damage rolls more often than you’d expect.

Abusing Your Strengths

Strength: ROF

Method of Abuse: The two-for-one tactic. Put two shells in them for every one they put in you (only applies to tanks with slower reloads, obviously, and not when 2 Jagerus are staring right at you).

Strength: Tricky armor

Method of Abuse: Some quick tips:

• Avoid flat ground, as it will make hiding your lower glacis impossible. Anywhere hilly with a lot of shifting terrain - that is where the E5's armor can truly shine.
  • Shift your tank back and forth to make your hard-to-aim-at weakspots even harder to aim at.

Strength: Great gun depression

Method of Abuse: Hull down WHENEVER you can. This is not just a tip for the E5, but every single tank you will ever drive in this game. It doesn't matter how crappy your turret armor is. By hulling down, you make yourself a much smaller target than if you were to stay in the open. Of course, tanks that do have bad turret armor need to hull down with extreme caution, but luckily the E5's turret is fairly troll, meaning you should never choose flat ground over hull down.

Strength: Mobility

Method of Abuse: USE YOUR BRAIN. If you have not gotten into the habit of paying attention to the minimap and battlefield, NOW'S THE TIME. Some quick tips:

• Hunt mediums. The E5 is an excellent medium hunter with its hard-to-hit-on-the-move armor, fast traverse, and perfect combination of alpha damage and ROF to easily override any medium.
  • Be cognizant of the battlefield. Flank getting weak? Abandon the front line and use your suppressive power to keep those pesky T-54s at bay. Frontline starting to fade? Again, fast ROF tanks are perfect for suppression - help out in the front.

Hiding Your Weaknesses

Weakness: Exposed weakspots

Solution: Keep moving. Move, move, move, move, MOVE. A stationary E5 is a dead E5. If you just took a shot, and are reloading, MOVE. Some quick tips:

• After reloading, shift your tank back and forth, and constantly switch the angling of your hull
  • Your cupola has a machine gun mantlet located on the right side (from the your point of view) of the hatch. Try wiggling your turret to the left to get some troll bounces, but be careful not to actually expose the side of your turret.
  • Sidescrape! Be careful when doing this, as you have that cupola and weak sides, but the large tracks can eat up a nice chunk of damage. Consider this a backup plan, however.

Weakness: Unreliable armor

Solution: Don't pick fights with heavies! As I've said numerous times, you are NOT a frontline heavy. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot your gun at them - wait until the opponent has fired or is tunnel visioned on someone else, then pump one, or even two shots in that juicy E 100 side.

Weakness: Low alpha

Solution: I still don't like calling this a weakness, but since it technically is, I put it here. Always remember the 2-for-1 tactic, and you'll begin to appreciate the low alpha, fast reload tradeoff.

SummaryTl;dr

There are no particular tactics for the E5. You do as the situation calls for it, which is why this tank is such a gem. This is why you absolutely MUST keep an eye out on the battlefield to know what you are needed for. I'm going to wrap this all up with some do's and don'ts with this tank.

Do's

Don'ts

Equipment/Consumables:

Pretty standard stuff.

Equips

Recommended: Rammer/VStab/Vents

Perfectly fine: Rammer/VStab/Optics

Acceptable: Rammer/VStab/EGLD (idk why 2.0s of aim time would ever be a problem, but to each their own)

Nom noms

Recommended: Adrenaline/Multi/Cola

If you're a penny-pincher: Adrenaline/Multi/Repairs

That's all, folks! Sorry about the long guide, but there really is a lot to say about this beast, as it's probably the least straightforward out of all the Tier X tanks (again, we do not acknowledge the 215b's existence here). I hope this helped out some of the newer tankers who are a little let down by the T110E5 heavy tank's lack of "heaviness." It is, by far, my favorite tank. I hope you will learn to love it as I have.

Edited by Ksftwe, 29 January 2016 - 09:32 PM.

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

Sebastian1145 #2 Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14470 battles
Great Guide!

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

​    Tier 10: Jagdpanzer E100, Obj. 268, FV4202, T62A, Obj.140, and T110E5

VoightKampff #3 Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15952 battles
  • [SCAW]
Nice guide. Thanks for the detail and suggestions!

Describe in single words only the good things that come into your mind about...your mother.

reluctanttheist #4 Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:52 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 25094 battles
  • [III-H]
Spectacular.  +1 to you for this well-written essay on a versatile tank.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Herodotus4 #5 Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22425 battles
  • [SRT_]
Anout that corrections thing at the begining, when you were discussing your 2 for 1 rule you said that 2 120 mm shells hurt more then 1 17 cm shell, they actually do the same damage. I assume you meant 15cm shell because that makes sense, though you are welcome to trade shots with my JGPZ (be warned I will take a shot and take cover)

"it is not because I was "brought to my knees" by some noobs, rather because I was unable to bring enough red noobs to their knees." -Vsavsa1

"I excel at mediocracy" -xjs

Corn_Pop #6 Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:58 PM

I Blame Rocket

• Players
  • 17079 battles
  • [SCSC]

Nice Guide unt +1.

Can I get a coloring book version with wordies under each picture?

So many words. Three functioning cells.....to much reedy.

concep #7 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:00 PM

Stop Tunneling Me

• Players
  • 34947 battles
  • [_V_]
The second equipment setup could be Optics instead of GLD.

Tier Xs (in order of unlocking): T110E5, M48 Patton, T-62A, IS-7, E50M, IS-4, FV4202, T110E3, FV215b, Obj. 268, T110E4, Leopard 1, Obj. 140, STB-1, Obj. 263, T57 Heavy, AMX 50B, Bat Chat 25t

Most played tank: T-62A (3,100 battles)

Favorite Quotes                       #BACKFROMTHEGRAVE                                   YouTube Channel!

Ksftwe #8 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25706 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostHerodotus4, on 07 July 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

Anout that corrections thing at the begining, when you were discussing your 2 for 1 rule you said that 2 120 mm shells hurt more then 1 17 cm shell, they actually do the same damage. I assume you meant 15cm shell because that makes sense, though you are welcome to trade shots with my JGPZ (be warned I will take a shot and take cover)

What're you talking about I said 15cm :hiding:

And yeah if they take cover then obviously you can't put two in, but first, that's why I said never to intentionally trade shots with other heavies/TDs, and second, most enemies are stupid enough that they won't take cover anyway.

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

Herodotus4 #9 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22425 battles
  • [SRT_]
Oops not in time:)

"it is not because I was "brought to my knees" by some noobs, rather because I was unable to bring enough red noobs to their knees." -Vsavsa1

Ksftwe #10 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25706 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostHerodotus4, on 07 July 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

I got a quote though:)

It says 15cm so idk what you're talking about :trollface:

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

Herodotus4 #11 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22425 battles
  • [SRT_]

View PostKsftwe, on 07 July 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

It says 15cm so idk what you're talking about :trollface:

It had to have been when I submited the post, it is now confirmed that you have censoring ties with wargaming:)

Ksftwe #12 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25706 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Post_Kon, on 07 July 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

The second equipment setup could be Optics instead of GLD.

I put that in; I wrote that part a while ago and I've recently switched out Vents for optics for a lot of my tanks, so I agree. thanks

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

Th3Terminat0r #13 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10599 battles
  • [-TT-]
Great guide. I would also like to add one small piece of advice for the moments you have no choice but to take multiple tanks; wiggle your hull left and right if you cannot find cover. Your armor will be flashing red everywhere, I have done this with my M103 and I have bounced another 103, an E100 and E75 that all shot at me within 2 seconds from different angles. If you can wiggle this tank then yes it's a little bit of luck but your frontal armor is nearly on par with an E100 because of how difficult that glacial is to hit and you throw auto Aimee's off a lot.

Tank Terminators

Message me for invites if you wish. 50% or higher win ratios tier 8 and up.

Ksftwe #14 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25706 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Postdonniedon13, on 07 July 2015 - 03:10 PM, said:

Great guide. I would also like to add one small piece of advice for the moments you have no choice but to take multiple tanks; wiggle your hull left and right if you cannot find cover. Your armor will be flashing red everywhere, I have done this with my M103 and I have bounced another 103, an E100 and E75 that all shot at me within 2 seconds from different angles. If you can wiggle this tank then yes it's a little bit of luck but your frontal armor is nearly on par with an E100 because of how difficult that glacial is to hit and you throw auto Aimee's off a lot.

I mentioned shifting your angles left and right somewhere in there.

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

Th3Terminat0r #15 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:24 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10599 battles
  • [-TT-]

View PostKsftwe, on 07 July 2015 - 07:12 PM, said:

I mentioned shifting your angles left and right somewhere in there.

then no complaints here. Good guide on a tank I'm grinding my way up to.

Tank Terminators

Message me for invites if you wish. 50% or higher win ratios tier 8 and up.

Ksftwe #16 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25706 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Postdonniedon13, on 07 July 2015 - 03:24 PM, said:

then no complaints here. Good guide on a tank I'm grinding my way up to.

If you liked the M103, you'll love the E5. Just gotta be a little more cognizant of that cupola. Glad this was helpful, and good luck with your grind. :)

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

jdm7 #17 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

60% of the time, it works every time

• Players
  • 25938 battles
  • [501DV]

Great guide!  I keep reminding myself that it's not a frontline tank, yet I keep finding myself in that role when I'm the only tier X heavy on my team.  I need to figure out better tactics when I'm top heavy and there's no STI or E75 to help establish the front.

And great point about moving constantly.  I know I need to do it, but it doesn't happen enough when I'm sucked into the battle.  Thanks again!

[Garage: E100, FV215b, FV215b (183), FV4202, M48 Patton, IS-4, IS-7, Jagdpanzer E100, Obj. 140, Obj. 263, Obj. 268, T110E4, T110E5, T57, Centurion 7/1, M46 Patton, T30, IS-3 Defender, IS-5, IS-6, KV-5, Lowe, T49, T26E4, T-54 ltwt, AT-15A, SU-122-44, T23E3, T-34-85 Rudy, Type 62 Dragon, Cromwell B, Pz. Kpfw. IV Schmalturm, SU-100Y, T-34-85 Victory, Fury, Angry Connor, M4A2E4 Sherman, Pz. Kpfw. IV hydrostat, Ram II, T-25, A-20, Valentine II, BT-7 artillery, FCM 36 Pak 40, Pz. Kpfw. S35 739 (f), SU-76i, T-15, Type 98 Ke-Ni Otsu, Pz. Kpfw. 38H 735(f), T2 Light, Tetrarch]

"The Problem will solve itself in time"

A7X0 #18 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

E4k

• Players
  • 25203 battles
  • [PRAMO]
Great guide. I was going to make one as well but you've covered it all. And you'd be surprised how often people will miss entirely when you facehug and move back and forth diagonally. If anything, the cupola makes it OP because people get so distracted by it and spend so much time focusing on it that they ignore the rest of the tank and will often miss or hit the numerous autobounce parts on the cupola.

underlined = click!

E 100, IS-7, T-62A, Jg. Pz. E 100, T110E3, T110E5[Guide], Object 268FV215b, E 50 M[Guide], IS-4FV4202, Object 140[Guide]M48 Patton, T110E4, STB-1

4014 average damage in Obj. 140, 4055 average damage in T110E4

LE_gend_VI #19 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

The man, the myth

• Players
  • 20814 battles
  • [NIPS]

Good write up! Just got e5 and it's been a blast. I learned alot in 103 and e5 is tougher in every way. 

One thing you mention is the face hug! Under utilized tactic Vs a solo 100/maus. I've never had a problem vs one using the face hug. Peek a boom vs a side scraping 100 is a hard battle.

Closing the distance to get him out of the game has worked for me. Some say the 100 using heat and penning the turret can dispatch the e5 but wiggling the turret and using the barrel to block the line of sight to cupola has worked. 

Even damaging the turret ring and start a cod has worked for me. Some players may be able to work it out using that tactic. Maybe it could be a borderline if you have to brawl with one and can't cod try it

EthereaI #20 Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 44265 battles
  • [PHOBO]
I like to pack Engine boost now instead of coke. For those maps that getting first position counts. On mines I have help the meds take hill and get the advantage. Desert sands when the meds go desert and need one more tank to match there the reds MM.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users