I Kissed Win Rating Goodbye

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

KamikazeeDolphin #21 Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2895 battles

Good for you!

I felt the same way. There are some people who take it way to seriously and will harass those who have a lower WR. You know what? Who cares? If all you love in life is a good WR, then marry the damn thing.

Fire in the Blowhole!Propaganda Design and Graphics Dolphin

Johnny Depputy Commander

of Auxilia. Long live Imperium!   "Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen!"

BWK60 #22 Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:51 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 42489 battles
  • [III-Z]
WG is missing a bet. They ought to offer the Forum equivalent of prammo -- packages you can buy so you can occasionally +10 something. Lacking that, +1 to OP.

__Crusader6__ #23 Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:08 AM

Annoying Mod

• Players
  • 59528 battles
  • [-C6-]

View PostKlaus_Klavier, on 08 July 2015 - 07:46 PM, said:

If you wanna play for fun download tanktastic (I HEAR THEY HAVE ARTILLERY)

I play to win, but primarily for fun.  I agree with your comment about the [edited]in the IS-7, but not to the point I actually care about finding him.

IT IS A GAME.

Until you can platoon with 6 other know tankers in a game platoon, your at the mercy of fate - and it's really not worth getting annoyed about (beyond a short cathartic rant about the questionable lineage of their parents)

Tank Hoarder: 383 tanks in Garage:  375/385 aced (Mk1 Heavy and T49A repo),    wallet warrior.  Loyal Original M60 owner

Sorry I haven’t aced the Smasher yet - So I’m still ruining tier 6-8 

Dr_Killride #24 Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:01 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7977 battles
  • [NATK]

View PostKlaus_Klavier, on 08 July 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

Can there be a "euthanasia" option where I can make an Idiots phone electrocute his brain?

I had a 47% wr noob in an IS-7 calling my Maus crap and he didn't do a damn thing the whole match except telling me I had a crap tank, he barely left spawn because he kept typing about how crap my tank was, and he laughed at me when I got overran when our team scrubbed off like pubbies often do.

Can you please give me the option to track a persons location so I can walk up to the front door of their home, ring the doorbell, and punch them in the gut so they bend over in pain and I throw a knee right into their face

Because I'd so love to do that to some of these idiots who throw the game away because they think a tank sucks and they want to see you lose so they take the entire team down with them

maybe a break Klaus, seriously? 

WriterDude #25 Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

My Posts Are Forum Prammo

• Players
  • 23053 battles

Yep, exactly. My WR is useful as a measure, but when it comes right down to it, it's less relevant than whether the team gels, whether I make some mistake, or whether I'm enjoying the stupid game.

Had one of those omgilovethisgame moments today. I'm traveling, and was reluctant to really commit to much, but DocMike has a shiny new ride, so off we went to give it a spin. We tooned for 12 games - I think we won 6, lost 5, drew one. I had a total blast.

One of the losses was to Major Troller, where I opened with 'uh oh, Major Troller' in toon chat. Can't be a hero without good villains, right? After one of the wins I got a friend request from the top Leo driver who finished #1 on Red. I saw more o7 hails than I've seen in the past week. In the draw, a Green IS8 just wasted himself, so it came down to a T62 and a Green JgTg 100, with the T62 a one-shot - and the JgTg MISSED from 50 feet with 30 seconds left. That guy must have thrown his iPad through a wall afterward. 

We praised our team for doing well, showed sportsmanship and Gg'd Red when they deserved it, and called out the medium camper who managed to make a win into a loss on Dead Rail. When we closed the toon, out of time, I realized that we spent almost an hour rolling, and it seemed like 10 minutes. That's what the game is about. Sure, we won more than we lost, but we learned, teamed, and shared the experience. :-)

Worthy of focus fire by SPUDX.  Potato Cred Link

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

Duke_87 #26 Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:37 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30573 battles
  • [MOM]

Okay, can someone please explain the relevance of o7, please? :) Is that (jokingly) saying "we are going to sweep you zero to seven?" (Their perspective)

Goal: Suck incrementally less, day by day

WriterDude #27 Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:51 AM

My Posts Are Forum Prammo

• Players
  • 23053 battles

View PostDuke_87, on 09 July 2015 - 03:37 AM, said:

Okay, can someone please explain the relevance of o7, please? :) Is that (jokingly) saying "we are going to sweep you zero to seven?" (Their perspective)

LOL- it was described here on the forums as resembling a salute. Think of the o as someone's head, and the 7 as the bent arm.

Worthy of focus fire by SPUDX.  Potato Cred Link

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

jonesizzle24 #28 Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 2867 battles
I must be a revolutionary, I didn't know what a WR was to begin with. 

An_awkward_suppository #29 Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7385 battles
  • [HVS]

When I first started playing the game I had no clue. I had decided to dedicate myself to developing the German lines and by the time I had reached the Tiger at about 2k battles my WR was a mind staggerinjg 37%. A forumer took me under his wing, introduced me to the forums, platooned with me and I devoured every strategic/tactical video I could find and much to my delight my WR began to climb. 

There was a downside however. Reading threads about WR began to influence my approach to the game, making it my holy grail of gameplay and in the process I suddenly found myself crossing the line from enjoyment to trying to please other players who held WR with reverence and in so doing, enjoying the game as a means of relaxation to take my mind off my illness and hospital beds, instead became yet another conduit for stress in my life. This has been the principle reason for having not posted on the forums for so long as I was finding too much of the subject matter to be negative and destructive.

Now I play the game for ME again, the way I did when I first started playing and once again I find myself relaxed instead of stressed. This is not to say I don't try my best - I do - but now I no longer pay any mind to the standards others hold for themselves or by which they judge others. If their opinions don't offer constructive advice for myself and the community, I ignore them as I do threads with negative subject matter. The bonus is I can now play better, still learn from the forums, videos and platoon mates while enjoying the game. Once in a while I still catch myself calling team mates idiots and berate myself afterwards for having done so and will usually send a message of apology post match to whomever I may have chastised. Instead my platoon mate and I will simply discuss the bad or good gameplay in private chat post match.

Incidentally, where I would only platoon with good players so I could learn, I now find myself instead choosing to platoon with people who I get along with for their character as human beings rather than their win rate.

I am also enjoying collecting my tanks once more without the "shame" of progressing up the tier ladder too rapidly using premium and gold. Why? Because it's my game as much as anyone's, there are no privelages for being a Unicum - they are subject to the same game rules, opportunities and game mechanics as the newest of noobs. I am not ashamed to say I spend hundreds of dollars on this game. It's my money I have worked hard for my entire adult life and will spend it any damn way I please. As someone battling advanced cancer this game is one of the very few things left in my life which I am able to spend money for my personal enjoyment, particularly since my wife often platoons with me so there's also that dynamic.

In a nutshell: I will play what I want to play when I want to play it, spend as much as I want on it and have fun doing so simply because the fun I want to have in my life and how I go about it is no ones business but my own, so justifying my choices to anyone in life be damned, let alone to a bunch of strangers I will likely never meet in my lifetime for the sake of placating their views on a game.

Thank you for this thread OP. +1!

ahredstealth #30 Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:21 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

I bought myself a shiny Fury after seven games total in my Blitz career.  I then proceeded to take on IS's frontally.  My win rate was down around 43%.  (Go me.)  Because I cared about win rate, I came to the forums looking for help.  Because I paid attention to win rate, I'm now rocking out above 50% in my Fury.

I believe win rate is a good tool to use for self evaluation, but it should not be the determining factor in self-worth or playing the game.

Play the game to have fun.  (It is more fun to win, though.)

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

NICKEL_AND_DIME #31 Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

Insufficient Loyalty

• Players
  • 53319 battles
  • [III]

Win rate is a useful tool, but one I have to remind myself not to take too seriously.  Do I get excited when my total WR goes up a percentage point?  Yes, yes I do.  It is an easy-to-look-at measure of accomplishment.

But by itself, it's not a good indicator.  What had me raging the other day was how win rate in a single tier (10) of a single vehicle impacted my entire Star1 rating.  For about 36 hours, the game was not fun at all.  I nearly stopped for a long time, but I am glad I didn't.  The tides change in this game.  And it helped a lot to know other friends have gone through the same frustrations.  Now I am trying to just enjoy a good game when one happens. 

MistahWig_HeDead #32 Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:03 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 40946 battles
  • [MOM]

Second best thread on this forumy thingy. Thanks, Cotton.

I get razzed by some fellow M.O.M members for seeming to care about my WR. This, it occurs to me, is nuts, as there's little I've been known for more in M.O.M's storied history than not giving a rip about such silliness. As has been said here, it's a personal measure of my personal relative suckage, relative to my previously measured suckage on any given previous sucking occasion, nothing more. The moment I assign actual significance to anything to do with this or any other light up toy, aside from the very significant social component that's the only sensible reason to play, create/admin/join a "clan", burn out sensitive ocular nerves and all like that there, please someone, anyone, punch yourself in the fist with my face until the madness or I stop(s).

"When clan wars drops" I'm sure there'll be M.O.Ms champing at the bit. I will be un-among 'em. I will do everything necessary to facilitate the participation of the M.O.M mob but that'll be me over there where clan wars isn't, enjoying a nice anything but clan wars. The prospect of adding another layer of damns to the ones I already don't give holds about two percent of zero appeal for me. It's all about the people. I am for the people, by the people, and f*ck the pixels. 

Every poster here is now my new favorite. Please send me a friend request and know that if I happen to type some variation of "Jagoff", "Jagweed" or "Jagweasel" in a particularly heated battle it's my WR I'm addressing, not you. Unless you killed me. Then you're clearly a jagwagon and I hope your mother's WR drops below 50%.  

WigipediA

tlouie #33 Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]

View PostCottonhead, on 08 July 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

I've decided to kick win rate to the curb.  When I was first shown the win rate stat I was at 47%.  I felt dirty and shamed so I studied up on youtube, watched everything that concep, bushka, and 48_ton every put out.  I got into a clan, a great clan, Triarii.  I started platooning.  And something new, I started raging.  I got to my highest win rate 55.50%.  And something else happened.  I began to be afraid to push battle for fear that my win rate might drop.  I'm sure this is just a weakness in my own personality and probably some sort of over competitiveness.  Obviously getting better at the game is still a goal, but being a slave to a stat that either gains me respect with people that play internet tanks, or makes me rage at others who are not a slave to the stat is out.  So why post this?  I hope if there are other people out there like me who want to win, but not be a slave to it will join me in making the forums a better place, making the game a better place.  By better I mean fun and relaxed.  Excellence without rage.  That is all.

Thank you for this topic. I too have noticed the unease before pressing Battle, that my WR might drop further.

And I too notice a lot more relief and enjoyment in focusing less on my WR. I'll still analyze the data to see where I can improve, but it no longer has a strangle hold on my gaming.

How_Bad_Is_Green #34 Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:29 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31012 battles
  • [-MAX-]

View PostCottonhead, on 08 July 2015 - 02:34 PM, said:

I've decided to kick win rate to the curb.  When I was first shown the win rate stat I was at 47%.  I felt dirty and shamed so I studied up on youtube, watched everything that concep, bushka, and 48_ton every put out.  I got into a clan, a great clan, Triarii.  I started platooning.  And something new, I started raging.  I got to my highest win rate 55.50%.  And something else happened.  I began to be afraid to push battle for fear that my win rate might drop.  I'm sure this is just a weakness in my own personality and probably some sort of over competitiveness.  Obviously getting better at the game is still a goal, but being a slave to a stat that either gains me respect with people that play internet tanks, or makes me rage at others who are not a slave to the stat is out.  So why post this?  I hope if there are other people out there like me who want to win, but not be a slave to it will join me in making the forums a better place, making the game a better place.  By better I mean fun and relaxed.  Excellence without rage.  That is all.

Sounds like new clan formation potential to me.  I would love to play more with people who are semi competitive and looking to have discussions about different strategies on certain maps.  I like to win as much at the next person.  But a loss is not the end of the world and overall it is really irrelevant.  The last month I too I have at times been worried that my win rate will go down and stress about the battle button.  Let me know if you ever want to platoon or discuss a new clan.    O7

Boneater #35 Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12484 battles
  • [ISFO]

I gave up on win rate a long time ago. It's a game. I am more concerned with getting my damage average and hit ratio up. To me it means I am contributing. Currently my hit rate is 78% plus. And I am having a lot more fun.

koop123 #36 Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8350 battles

View PostAn_awkward_suppository, on 09 July 2015 - 06:00 AM, said:

When I first started playing the game I had no clue. I had decided to dedicate myself to developing the German lines and by the time I had reached the Tiger at about 2k battles my WR was a mind staggerinjg 37%. A forumer took me under his wing, introduced me to the forums, platooned with me and I devoured every strategic/tactical video I could find and much to my delight my WR began to climb. 

There was a downside however. Reading threads about WR began to influence my approach to the game, making it my holy grail of gameplay and in the process I suddenly found myself crossing the line from enjoyment to trying to please other players who held WR with reverence and in so doing, enjoying the game as a means of relaxation to take my mind off my illness and hospital beds, instead became yet another conduit for stress in my life. This has been the principle reason for having not posted on the forums for so long as I was finding too much of the subject matter to be negative and destructive.

Now I play the game for ME again, the way I did when I first started playing and once again I find myself relaxed instead of stressed. This is not to say I don't try my best - I do - but now I no longer pay any mind to the standards others hold for themselves or by which they judge others. If their opinions don't offer constructive advice for myself and the community, I ignore them as I do threads with negative subject matter. The bonus is I can now play better, still learn from the forums, videos and platoon mates while enjoying the game. Once in a while I still catch myself calling team mates idiots and berate myself afterwards for having done so and will usually send a message of apology post match to whomever I may have chastised. Instead my platoon mate and I will simply discuss the bad or good gameplay in private chat post match.

Incidentally, where I would only platoon with good players so I could learn, I now find myself instead choosing to platoon with people who I get along with for their character as human beings rather than their win rate.

I am also enjoying collecting my tanks once more without the "shame" of progressing up the tier ladder too rapidly using premium and gold. Why? Because it's my game as much as anyone's, there are no privelages for being a Unicum - they are subject to the same game rules, opportunities and game mechanics as the newest of noobs. I am not ashamed to say I spend hundreds of dollars on this game. It's my money I have worked hard for my entire adult life and will spend it any damn way I please. As someone battling advanced cancer this game is one of the very few things left in my life which I am able to spend money for my personal enjoyment, particularly since my wife often platoons with me so there's also that dynamic.

In a nutshell: I will play what I want to play when I want to play it, spend as much as I want on it and have fun doing so simply because the fun I want to have in my life and how I go about it is no ones business but my own, so justifying my choices to anyone in life be damned, let alone to a bunch of strangers I will likely never meet in my lifetime for the sake of placating their views on a game.

Thank you for this thread OP. +1!

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

WR~0.23% Damage Ratio~.0009  WN9~ 35.  Avg Tier~1.10

koop123 #37 Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8350 battles

View PostWig_______MOM, on 09 July 2015 - 10:03 AM, said:

Second best thread on this forumy thingy. Thanks, Cotton.

I get razzed by some fellow M.O.M members for seeming to care about my WR. This, it occurs to me, is nuts, as there's little I've been known for more in M.O.M's storied history than not giving a rip about such silliness. As has been said here, it's a personal measure of my personal relative suckage, relative to my previously measured suckage on any given previous sucking occasion, nothing more. The moment I assign actual significance to anything to do with this or any other light up toy, aside from the very significant social component that's the only sensible reason to play, create/admin/join a "clan", burn out sensitive ocular nerves and all like that there, please someone, anyone, punch yourself in the fist with my face until the madness or I stop(s).

"When clan wars drops" I'm sure there'll be M.O.Ms champing at the bit. I will be un-among 'em. I will do everything necessary to facilitate the participation of the M.O.M mob but that'll be me over there where clan wars isn't, enjoying a nice anything but clan wars. The prospect of adding another layer of damns to the ones I already don't give holds about two percent of zero appeal for me. It's all about the people. I am for the people, by the people, and f*ck the pixels. 

Every poster here is now my new favorite. Please send me a friend request and know that if I happen to type some variation of "Jagoff", "Jagweed" or "Jagweasel" in a particularly heated battle it's my WR I'm addressing, not you. Unless you killed me. Then you're clearly a jagwagon and I hope your mother's WR drops below 50%.  

An error occurred

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

WR~0.23% Damage Ratio~.0009  WN9~ 35.  Avg Tier~1.10

Cottonhead #38 Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:49 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7527 battles
  • [III-Z]
Super stoked with the response to this thread.  Great to know there are other tankers out there who are tired of bizarre psychosis effecting there gaming.  :harp:

mike82198 #39 Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39270 battles
  • [CRATE]

View PostCottonhead, on 09 July 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

Super stoked with the response to this thread.  Great to know there are other tankers out there who are tired of bizarre psychosis effecting there gaming.  :harp:

You can clearly see that the stat-disease hits people hard in this game - it's evident in forum posts, in-game, etc., and it's not bizarre. Everyone wants to feel "adequate" and this is a very competitive environment.

What you can clearly see reflected in all of it is the actual personalities. Tanking itself doesn't correlate at all with how smart, kind or [whatever] a person is. How the tanker responds to his stats when he is told/realizes what they mean is, on the other hand, often quite indicative of who they are. Some people choose to kiss win-rate goodbye; others choose to watch videos for hours and then watch their WR go up, 0.02% at a time. 

An_awkward_suppository #40 Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7385 battles
  • [HVS]

View Postmike82198, on 09 July 2015 - 10:25 PM, said:

You can clearly see that the stat-disease hits people hard in this game - it's evident in forum posts, in-game, etc., and it's not bizarre. Everyone wants to feel "adequate" and this is a very competitive environment.

What you can clearly see reflected in all of it is the actual personalities. Tanking itself doesn't correlate at all with how smart, kind or [whatever] a person is. How the tanker responds to his stats when he is told/realizes what they mean is, on the other hand, often quite indicative of who they are. Some people choose to kiss win-rate goodbye; others choose to watch videos for hours and then watch their WR go up, 0.02% at a time. 

I choose to watch videos/follow good advice while not paying attention to WR, merely to be a better tanker for the benefit of my enjoyment, regardless of WR.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users