• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Klaus_Klavier #41 Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17129 battles

View PostDr_Killride, on 09 July 2015 - 02:01 AM, said:

maybe a break Klaus, seriously? 

I just need a break from idiots like the one described, I let him have it after the battle and when I looked up his stats and seen he had a terrible record I told him he sucked and that his winrate and stats were complete garbage, he immediately launched into "shut up" and "No!" Further proving my point not only does he suck he didn't even realize how much he sucked

The E25 Whisperer

"Beware for those who those who stare into the abyss....lest the abyss stares back" 

mike82198 #42 Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39280 battles
  • [CRATE]
An_awakward...,

I presented two polar extremes, specifically in the way people deal with WR: anything and everything exists on the spectrum between them. 

There's people who try and improve as tankers but forego the stat obsession, there's people who decide to fight the stats and try to debate them away while not improving as tankers, there's people who set a final goal for themselves and abandon stats after they reach it, ...

Klaus,

You're not gonna get a break from "idiots like the one described", as on average you will have at least one of them present in every single battle. 

HullOnWheels #43 Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 41307 battles
if you care about winning battles I dont see how you can ignore WR, but if you can ...... o7 

Klaus_Klavier #44 Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17129 battles

View Postmike82198, on 09 July 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

An_awakward...,

I presented two polar extremes, specifically in the way people deal with WR: anything and everything exists on the spectrum between them. 

There's people who try and improve as tankers but forego the stat obsession, there's people who decide to fight the stats and try to debate them away while not improving as tankers, there's people who set a final goal for themselves and abandon stats after they reach it, ...

Klaus,

You're not gonna get a break from "idiots like the one described", as on average you will have at least one of them present in every single battle. 

If they are gonna be stupid can they at least TRY? This guy wanted to see the guy driving the maus lose so he purposely threw the game....I think out of almost 1000 tier X battles he is the first to ever throw the game because I drove a maus, I've been told my tank sucks before but I've proven people wrong time after time....but this guy sat and laughed as I struggled to carry our failing team

The E25 Whisperer

"Beware for those who those who stare into the abyss....lest the abyss stares back" 

Cottonhead #45 Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:11 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7527 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostHullOnWheels, on 09 July 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

if you care about winning battles I dont see how you can ignore WR, but if you can ...... o7 

I think the idea is that one can care about winning, without being upset or anxious about losing.  For example I don't play monopoly to lose (unless with my kids and I don't go out of my way to crush them.).  But if I do lose it means absolutely nothing to me.  In fact, I can laugh when I land on someone's hotel and I clear out my paper money.  But for some reason when it came to WoT Blitz, I lost that perspective.  I'm sure someone in part because of getting PM'd and told that I sucked.  Not too many people like to suck at something.  Then after looking at my stats I realized I did suck.  So I began to research.  But, as has been noted here, the game became about not sucking.  But not sucking didn't wasn't the end.  That moved into being angry at people that did suck.  So in essence my WoT Blitz experience became only about winning and no longer just enjoying the experiences I have in the game.  This causes me to dive into my own mind and ask hard questions.  1. Why do I care if I am good or bad at a game?  Answer, in part because winning is fun.  Winning gets more exp, but if I am enjoying all my battles then losing and less exp really shouldn't be a force to make me rage.  2.  Why is rage bad?  Simple answer, humans aught to be more important to humans than little fake tanks that give little irrelevant (to life) stats.  Second part of why do I care:  I don't want to look bad.  Perhaps this is the more troubling of the reasons.  LOL at myself, I don't want to look bad to who?  A bunch of people that own iPads and cruise around in little fake tanks?  Forum trolls?  Answering this question for myself embarrasses me.  I found myself in a position where I really didn't want to look bad in front of people I don't even know, and for the most part will never know.  None of you will help me move.  None of you will come to my kids B-day parties.  Of course in your own spheres you matter and you have intrinsic value as humans.  But in my own life, other than a few clan friends, these people mean nothing to me. (Not as if I would wish them dead, but in the sense of interaction for each others mutual benefit.) What a character flaw on my part.  But even rationalizing through all of that I still found anger at people when they didn't play the way I wanted them to play.  So for me, I have to abandon my stats page.  It's my own weakness, be it pride, or stupidity, or whatever I had to let it go.  So long answer to a short question, but I hope this can help other people too.  If you feel stupid because you how you've felt about a game, or acted towards others, join the Cottonheaded Ninnimuggins club.  :medal:

An_awkward_suppository #46 Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:32 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7385 battles
  • [HVS]

View Postmike82198, on 09 July 2015 - 11:27 PM, said:

An_awakward...,

Klaus,

In 100% agreement.

mike82198 #47 Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:41 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39280 battles
  • [CRATE]

View PostKlaus_Klavier, on 09 July 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

If they are gonna be stupid can they at least TRY? This guy wanted to see the guy driving the maus lose so he purposely threw the game....I think out of almost 1000 tier X battles he is the first to ever throw the game because I drove a maus, I've been told my tank sucks before but I've proven people wrong time after time....but this guy sat and laughed as I struggled to carry our failing team

Nope. They won't. That's part of the being stupid bit.

IronSpectre1138 #48 Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:48 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5497 battles
  • [SPUDX]
My personal goal, I guess, is to cause a good amount of damage in each game (relative to the other players in the match). If I can be towards the top of that list, I feel like I at least contributed, e.g., wasn't a total tater or camping idiot. My WR went up a few points since joining the forum and watching videos and I've gotten a bit better. At the end of the day, my wife and kids love me regardless of my WR. 

"Traditionally, Spuds love to fight. All real Spuds love the sting of battle."

I am the official beer wench of the Spuds. I may not be a unicum, but I keep the suds flowing.

acrisis #49 Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:53 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20542 battles
  • [III]

My name is acrisis, and I admit having battle fear and stat rage in the past, and still from time to time.

Back in the noob days, when I was just doing some low tiers and grinding a ton of silver in my T46 with the mistaken idea that silver could be converted to gold (yep); I was happier as a player. As frustrating as it was that battles were extremely random and there were many more losses and draws than wins, plus it didn't help that I was green behind my ears (without prior tanking experience); many little things would be exciting. I didn't even realize how it was all tracked to the tiniest detail!

Now, it is only OK as long that WR keeps trending up. The grinds get boring. Often afraid to hit battle, because the previous session was a disaster, or you just lost 3-4-5 in  a row; because of the poor team performance and the luck of the draw if you're on the team with 2-3 guys doing damage vs 3-5.

Back then it was the thrill of a new tank, a new gun, a new tank line, a new tank type, a new nation, exploring a map, going different way then you went before, seeing new tanks. Surviving. Winning. Getting this medal. Another medal. Your first n kills. Finally killed a hetzer. More kills. A mastery. More medals. Etc. So yeah, you only won 45% of the time, grinding across multiple lines. You get yelled at. Feel like you can't do what you want to do. Discover WR & stats. Try to fix things. Need credits. Need WR. Things are looking up. You work as hard as you can ... but you still get called a casual player because a couple things in the game irk you.  Then since wotbstars there's the looking up looking down effect, difference of opinions where people should be at with whichever number of battles under their belt, calling people names because they spent too much time in low tier learning the ropes, grinding n lines at once without premium time, etc etc.

One of the funnest sessions among several platoon friends on teamspeak was one where I dropped .12% WR and bled credits no matter how hard I tried. Carry harder. Prammo harder. Cry harder. Loss after loss. Instead of simply sharing in the fun ... I just get bitter, angry and played even worse.  I just wanted to throw my iPad out. Figured it would take weeks to recover the WR damage. Again, for the n-th time pretty much done with Blitz, because you're more experienced and smarter than before, yet you're only winning 2/10 games. Oh so frustrating and bad for your mood, health, etc.   Blitz is easily the most frustrating game I've played because no matter where you are in your personal evolution and the grand curve of players, you're still only one element among 14 and can/will suffer or triumph based on team formation, MM, RNG, good / bad decisions from yourself and others, etc. You just have to take a step back. It is too easy to get hooked on the performance driven metrics, WR etc with the idea of getting in a clan, doing clan wars, etc. But that's a lot of extra pressure when you're perpetually playing catch-up due to legacy negative stats.

I've previously had some goals and certain tanks in mind by a certain battle count. But the way battles have gone, and grinding gets longer ... well, I have taken the step back, more the road of consolation, play a bit more for fun, help other people out, taken some breaks, figuring maybe the WR is what it is.

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

chipshot07 #50 Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:45 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19394 battles
  • [USS]

I can't focus on win rate because I am grinding 75percent crews, and stock guns, etc.    ( ie. check my Ferdinand stats...)

with new tanks and new lines I don't take the wr overly serious.    I do take it serious when I play my tanks that are full crew and top gunned and have the best tracks, turret and engines.    

koop123 #51 Posted 10 July 2015 - 03:47 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8364 battles

View Postacrisis, on 09 July 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

My name is acrisis, and I admit having battle fear and stat rage in the past, and still from time to time.

Back in the noob days, when I was just doing some low tiers and grinding a ton of silver in my T46 with the mistaken idea that silver could be converted to gold (yep); I was happier as a player. As frustrating as it was that battles were extremely random and there were many more losses and draws than wins, plus it didn't help that I was green behind my ears (without prior tanking experience); many little things would be exciting. I didn't even realize how it was all tracked to the tiniest detail!

Now, it is only OK as long that WR keeps trending up. The grinds get boring. Often afraid to hit battle, because the previous session was a disaster, or you just lost 3-4-5 in  a row; because of the poor team performance and the luck of the draw if you're on the team with 2-3 guys doing damage vs 3-5.

Back then it was the thrill of a new tank, a new gun, a new tank line, a new tank type, a new nation, exploring a map, going different way then you went before, seeing new tanks. Surviving. Winning. Getting this medal. Another medal. Your first n kills. Finally killed a hetzer. More kills. A mastery. More medals. Etc. So yeah, you only won 45% of the time, grinding across multiple lines. You get yelled at. Feel like you can't do what you want to do. Discover WR & stats. Try to fix things. Need credits. Need WR. Things are looking up. You work as hard as you can ... but you still get called a casual player because a couple things in the game irk you.  Then since wotbstars there's the looking up looking down effect, difference of opinions where people should be at with whichever number of battles under their belt, calling people names because they spent too much time in low tier learning the ropes, grinding n lines at once without premium time, etc etc.

One of the funnest sessions among several platoon friends on teamspeak was one where I dropped .12% WR and bled credits no matter how hard I tried. Carry harder. Prammo harder. Cry harder. Loss after loss. Instead of simply sharing in the fun ... I just get bitter, angry and played even worse.  I just wanted to throw my iPad out. Figured it would take weeks to recover the WR damage. Again, for the n-th time pretty much done with Blitz, because you're more experienced and smarter than before, yet you're only winning 2/10 games. Oh so frustrating and bad for your mood, health, etc.   Blitz is easily the most frustrating game I've played because no matter where you are in your personal evolution and the grand curve of players, you're still only one element among 14 and can/will suffer or triumph based on team formation, MM, RNG, good / bad decisions from yourself and others, etc. You just have to take a step back. It is too easy to get hooked on the performance driven metrics, WR etc with the idea of getting in a clan, doing clan wars, etc. But that's a lot of extra pressure when you're perpetually playing catch-up due to legacy negative stats.

I've previously had some goals and certain tanks in mind by a certain battle count. But the way battles have gone, and grinding gets longer ... well, I have taken the step back, more the road of consolation, play a bit more for fun, help other people out, taken some breaks, figuring maybe the WR is what it is.

This is a great post. I do not have any more plus ones, but I just wanted to let you know that I loved what you wrote. Every post has been great in this thread. I really feel like I got to know who a lot of you are behind the avatar.

Tonight on "Behind the Avatar, we. . ." *I ain't got nothin"*:hiding:

WR~0.23% Damage Ratio~.0009  WN9~ 35.  Avg Tier~1.10

Duke_87 #52 Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31252 battles
  • [MOM]
One of the ironies of getting better is that you notice other people's mistakes more. When you are driving around semi-oblivious, you don't notice other people being foolish as much. But after you spend that time pulling yourself out of the muck of cluelessness, it becomes very frustrating to lose because other people are making the same dumb mistakes you took the trouble and effort to understand and correct. It is like you improved for nothing, just so someone ELSE could throw the game. lol

Goal: Suck incrementally less, day by day

ahredstealth #53 Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postmike82198, on 09 July 2015 - 06:41 PM, said:

Nope. They won't. That's part of the being stupid bit.

Ha ha ha.  How true.

View Postaramikvideo19, on 09 July 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

At the end of the day, my wife and kids love me regardless of my WR. 

Unless I show my wife a new Pools medal every day, she threatens to call the divorce lawyer.  My daughter laughs and kicks me in the nuts if I potato out.  You should give your wife and kids a big hug tonight for being good people.

View PostDuke_87, on 10 July 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

One of the ironies of getting better is that you notice other people's mistakes more. When you are driving around semi-oblivious, you don't notice other people being foolish as much. But after you spend that time pulling yourself out of the muck of cluelessness, it becomes very frustrating to lose because other people are making the same dumb mistakes you took the trouble and effort to understand and correct. It is like you improved for nothing, just so someone ELSE could throw the game. lol

While it is frustrating watching other people be clueless, it is helpful to remember my "useless" period, because it keeps me from raging at people.  When I see an Easy 8 do something completely moronic, I smile and remember when I did that exact same thing.  Then I try to offer constructive advice or just enjoy the show.

Far to many people use their dead time in game to rage when they could be laughing at the comedy that ensues.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

Dr_Killride #54 Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:24 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7977 battles
  • [NATK]

View PostKlaus_Klavier, on 09 July 2015 - 03:21 PM, said:

I just need a break from idiots like the one described, I let him have it after the battle and when I looked up his stats and seen he had a terrible record I told him he sucked and that his winrate and stats were complete garbage, he immediately launched into "shut up" and "No!" Further proving my point not only does he suck he didn't even realize how much he suck

I'm probably your 'average rager' out there. But I need to remember the commitment I made to make the game a better place. Back when I was a donkey-@zzed noob (now I'm just a noob), some really great players took me under their wing and I am appreciative of that. In turn, I have taken a few under my own, being careful only to teach dogma from common knowledge and experience and what I feel are the extrinsic pieces of the puzzle to be a good tank gamer. 

When I encounter a donkey-@zz, I have been pointing out dogma for map strategy when applicable and pointing people to the forum when it's clear they have no idea.

We are supposed to be helping our fellow gamers so we need to just keep on doing this. Where's Thunder? He's missed greatly in that regard. I don't follow all the threads, but I hope there are others that are filling his shoes in his absence. I know concep is...we owe these people...

boboland #55 Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 8268 battles
  • [OCAN]
Winning rate is a pretty useless stats. There are so much factors we all know about pick up games, no matter how you want to say about WR, a 19% and a 89% winning rate will be same in my eye and won't win my respect.

Until clan war or 7 platoon vs 7 platoon stats is out, current winning rate stats is rather useless.

ChaoticSpider #56 Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:20 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 24214 battles
  • [MOM]
+1 nice post!

Order unlocked: T110E5, IS-7, T110E4 & STB-1.

Anyone have some spare credits, send my way please and thanks.

Signature tanks T34 & Type 59. Visit us at http://www.momworldorder.com

Zip___LuLu #57 Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:19 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 29108 battles
  • [SPUD]
Great topic that has fostered good discussion.  I was enjoying the game trying to get Ace mastery at tiers 2-4 but then I got obsessed for a few days over my WR.  Took the fun out of the game totally.  When I go into service record to look at my vehicles I try to look away and not see what the WR is; that has helped a lot.  I also quit to garage after getting killed; especially at lower tiers.  Unless someone is having a monster game it is easier than watching and raging about what you see.

CrazyHunter13 #58 Posted 13 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7211 battles

WR = respect in a multiplayer, team only game? Yea, can easily see how well of a problem that causes I.E. high WR players talking [edited]about low WR players, disrespect, insults, ect. To me, WR means absolutely nothing unless WG decides to one day add 1v1 matches and whatnot. Something respect worthy should be determined by PR or awards and medals.

My PR

View Post_Irregular_Apocalypse_, on 08 July 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Hope he comes back when clan wars drops. He popped up a few months back and we messaged back and forth and platooned a few games. PC is probably just more challenging and fun for him. . .I also try to send people to it as much as I can, but some people feel they learn better by trial and error and never bother to learn about the game other then pressing battle over and over.

Would love to see the guide sometime

Sethroskull #59 Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 46343 battles
  • [GLDG]
I feel the same way.  I never cared about stats until a buddy of mine looked at my service record and said " Damn bro you need to get those stats up".  I went from 46% WR to 51.6%.  It took me a long time to raise it that much.  I too started to not enjoy the game.  I care more about trying to get my damage per battle and kills per battle up.  Also on a mad quest for as many Golden M's as I can get.  That's my favorite thing now is getting Golden M's.  Good Post though.

Tier 10 - E-100, IS-4, IS-7, Obj. 268

Tier 9 - E-75, IS-8, M103, ST-I, Obj. 704, T-54

Full Stats -  http://www.blitzstar...com/sethroskull

Duke_87 #60 Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 31252 battles
  • [MOM]
I still try to improve WR (need a goal to work for) but leave the raging at home, and just do my best for the team. I am getting better and better every day. :) main thing is not to obsess over short term dips. They cannot be avoided. 

Goal: Suck incrementally less, day by day

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users