Noob's guide to grinding.

Noob newbie grind grinding

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

siouxinpa #1 Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:55 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

BLUF (Bottom Line Up Front) I started playing WoTB on July 3rd having never before played a World of game before. This makes me emminently qualified to write a noob guide.

What is grinding? Grinding refers to playing a game solely to accumulate in game resources to advance to better digital things as quickly as possible. In some games, trying to 'win' a battle is counter productive to the accumulation of resources. This is not true in WoTB! If you win you always get more experience and often more credits as well. Always try to win the battle for your team.

There are two resources to accumulate in WoTB, experience and credits. These are earned together but I find it easier to focus on them separately. I know some will say that gold is a resource as well, but honestly it is not. In game resources have to be able to be earned in game, which can't be done with gold. 

Don't worry about grinding until you get to the tier where you are having a difficult time making both resources consistently with your current tank. For me this was my tier 7 T29. I'm sure some never encounter this problem and others get to it earlier or later than I did.

How I grind resources.

Step 1: Get one tank to elite status (researched all modules and the next vehicle).  This now became my credit tank. All experience I gained on this tank from this point forward is useless to me unless I spent gold to convert it to free experience which can be used on any tank.

I found it easiest to use the tank that preceded my problem tank in the tech tree, in this case the M6. I did this for a couple reasons. I knew how to play this beast, something I was just figuring out with my T29. Also with the M6 I occasionally got into Tier 4-6 match ups which was great for doing massive amounts of dmg, which meant lots of credits.

I stripped everything expensive that I could spend in a battle off this tank. This meant no premium shells, if I got into a Tier 6-8 battle I maneuvered for flanks & rears or shot HE. The point is to do as much dmg to the enemy as I could, the more dmg I did, the more credits I earned.

I also took all expensive consumables off the vehicle. My crew was at 100% by this point so I didn't need any boost there to be effective. I knew the movement speed and reload speed and could adapt my play to not need boosts there. So I rolled with a manual fire extinguisher, a first aid kit and a repair kit. I would use the fire extinguisher whenever needed, unless I only had a couple hit points left. This left the repair and first aid kits. These were only for use in the early battle. If there was only a couple minutes left, I wouldn't use them. If I had less than half health, I wouldn't use them. Now this was situational. If victory/defeat hung in the balance, I'd use them to get the victory. For the most part though, I held true the concept. Since I wasn't using expensive ammo and almost no consumables, this allowed me to quickly grind credits that would be spent on Step 2.

Step 2: The experience grinder. This was the tank I was trying to upg, my T29. The M3 90mm gun carried over from the M6. I used some free exp to upg my tracks and motor one step from stock. I learned early on that playing a fully stock new tank is a painful experience. The rest I would grind on the T29.

Now my thought process for the exp tank was completely the opposite of the credit grinder. My crew was at 50%, so they needed all the help they could get.  My consumables were case of cola, adrenaline (which I used almost every battle) and a multi purpose restorative kit (which was used almost as often). I also used premium shells as half of my ammo loadout. A 90mm gun going up against tier 9 armor is a guaranteed fail. If I wanted fast progress, I was going to have to pay the price.

Step 3: Grinding cycle. Run the credit grinder 10-15 battles. This earned enough credits to run the exp grinder 10-20 battles, netting 15-20K XP each cycle. Rinse and repeat.

Step 4: When to stop. Tanks need large quantities of both resources and I've been spending every credit I've made. Since I know that I'll need to purchase the new tank after I've researched it, once my crew in my exp grinder (T29) reached 100% I reduced my loadout of premium shells from half to 5-10 and did my best not to use them. I also changed my consumables to match the credit grinder (FE/FAK/RK). This created 2 credit grinders. At this point I knew how to use my no longer new tank, have researched all of the modules and have mounted the ones which best suit my play style. I could now gain exp and credits at the same time. I focused on T29 only playing the M6 for the 2x exp battles or when I got killed early in the T29. I had about 30k exp banked to research the T32, but with two credit grinders by the time I had enough exp to research it, I had enough credits to buy it and the expensive exp grinder loadout.

Step 5: Prep for next tier cycle. Once I purchased my T32, I converted all of my elite XP to free XP and sold my M6. That gave me enough credits to add one top end piece of equipment to my T32. I then played my T29 credit grinder until I equipped every piece I wanted on my T32. At which point, the cycle began again. I'm currently 2/3's of the way to the M103 in both exp and credits using the same grind pattern.

I know this will be controversial but I only train my crews to 50% for free. I figure it doesn't help to have a fully trained crew on an unfamiliar tank and I can blame bad performance on the crew instead of my own skills. It also allows me to be fully comfortable with the vehicle when it turns to a credit grinder. Did I mention its free? That means more credits to use to grind exp with.

This is how I've figured out my best way to grind resources in this WoTB. That doesn't mean that it's the only way to do it or even the best way to do it. I find that it's very efficient in getting to the next tier both in resources and skill level. Suggestions and on topic criticisms welcomed.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

Pikachu76 #2 Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 35595 battles
  • [TITAN]
Nice! +1

Member of WoTB Since Day 1!

Tier 10s: Maus, FV4202, FV215b, IS-7, Object 268, T-62a, Jpz E100, E100, IS-4, E50M, Leopard 1, Object 140, FV215b (183), STB-1, Obj 263, Grille 15

Premiums: Jagdtiger 88 (2015), KV-5, T34, IS-6, IS-3 Defender, Type 59, Helsing HO, T-34-85 Rudy, Tankenstein, Panther/M10, E25 #1, Fury, Churchill III, Pz V/IV, Pz. B2, M3 Light, T-127, LTP, T2 Light, Tetrach, 

For Fun Tanks: M18 Hellcat, Ferdinand, T18, SU-152, Ltractor, T82, KV-2, Tortoise, SP I C, RU251

Tanks Under Grind: LTTB

zoom900 #3 Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:47 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4565 battles
  • [MNLX]
Nice trick. All I did before was just spamming battles until my stock tank gets to like 80% crew efficiency rating.

What tank is most suited for the jungle?

The Tiger:teethhappy:

Stegs #4 Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4902 battles
Wait... So I'm doing it wrong?

Community Pledge Signer

Former Master of High Ping 

Aivris #5 Posted 27 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8126 battles
  • [PBKAC]

Excellent post! I have definitely learnt from this very useful thread. +1

This has actually impacted my technique of getting a premium account and grinding non-stop with some help from platooning.

EPICANDY0131 #6 Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 4817 battles
I have enough credits to always start with a 75% crew.

EPICANDY0131[FLYNT]: IS-8; T-54; T32; Tiger II; KV-1S; M4A2E4; T82; M3 Light; T18; BT-2; +2 slots

Recruiter & Trainer of Flyinite

~PLEASE PM ME IF YOU WANT TO JOIN!!!~

(post stats please)

siouxinpa #7 Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:21 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View PostStegs, on 27 July 2014 - 05:28 AM, said:

Wait... So I'm doing it wrong?

Not at all. Like I said this isn't the only way to grind and it even may not be the best way. This is just the best way Ive found so far.

How do you grind?

siouxinpa #8 Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View PostEPICANDY0131, on 27 July 2014 - 12:12 PM, said:

I believe it. I've played a couple games against you, you're a beast.

Stegs #9 Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4902 battles

View Postsiouxinpa, on 27 July 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

Not at all. Like I said this isn't the only way to grind and it even may not be the best way. This is just the best way Ive found so far.

How do you grind?

I agree with you that your way is probably a better way.

What I have been doing: Let Win% drop to 30 or 40 during stock/75% crew mode.  Raise it back to ~50 after I get 100% crew and some better modules. Erm... I might give your system a try after I unlock another tank.

Nice guide.

Community Pledge Signer

Former Master of High Ping 

Aivris #10 Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8126 battles
  • [PBKAC]

View PostEPICANDY0131, on 28 July 2014 - 02:12 AM, said:

Oh lucky you. I've only just had enough credits to buy quite a few of my tanks. I should be smarter about my use of those higher end consumables.

m26pershing2012 #11 Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 442 battles
Nice but remember to stop at a certain point otherwise your games slowly start going downhill.

ThemasterTanker1 #12 Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:01 AM

No, this is Patrick

• Players
  • 18304 battles
  • [CRATE]
I may not be a noob (in my opinion), but this was one hell of a good guide! +1

Swanky

pershing06 #13 Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10960 battles
  • [MAHOU]
Thanks for the link. I may or may not be considered a noob, since I have been watching a lot of jingles and been playing a good deal of wot PC. Thanks anyway, and great tips for someone who is truly a noob!

Professional Skrub. Not much else to say here. 

Click here for stats: http://wotbstars.com...&geo=NA&lng=eng

Tier Xs: T110E3, FV4202

"If it doesn't work, apply more energy."             

putnamJavi #14 Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles
I am proud to be a noob.  This is my first WOT game and I'm loving every minute of it.  Granted stock tank grinds have been painful but it builds character.  

BearHawkMan #15 Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7711 battles
  • [DFNT]
Great guide! I have always just stuck with one tank and done both credit/xp grinding. This way is MUCH faster!

YouTube: Here | Old Sig: Here

Come watch me play video games LIVE at twitch.tv/bearhawkman

CrimsonMG #16 Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10731 battles
Great guide!:great:

Edited by CrimsonMG, 04 August 2014 - 11:50 PM.

Lephturn #17 Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22174 battles
  • [III-S]

Great guide!

I will offer a slight modification - if you get any premium tank you now have your credit grinder. Given that the game is free and amazing, I was happy to spend $ 2.99 for my Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f). I'm a busy dad so I am not going to have time to play a lot and I want to support the devs of this fabulous game, so the few dollars on a premium tank is well worth it for me. That is my credit grind tank and I treat it much like you do - no expensive consumables etc. to max revenue. I also like to load some HE instead of gold rounds, when I'm matched vs. tier 5 and 6 armor I will load HE and try to shoot tracks.

One more observation - the match making engine will lump three tiers together, but I find it alternates where you stack up in the list. What I mean is, if you have one match where you are the bottom tier just do your best, likely the next game you will be the top tier. With that said, if you do some damage to tanks 2 tiers higher you will generate excellent credits if your team wins. That means you need a tank that can help your team win even if you are 2 tiers lower - so picking a heavy or a TD for credit grinding might not make sense to me since a slow heavy or fragile TD are not fast enough to do much else when facing higher tier tanks. I like a medium tank that is fast enough to play scout and track shooter when I am am low on the tier rank and play the main battle tank role when I'm high on the tier rank in a match.  This might just be my preference for med/heavy tanks - and I'm a noob too, so please disabuse me of my notions here if you think I am off track. (pun intended) :)

Edited by Lephturn, 05 August 2014 - 01:44 PM.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

siouxinpa #18 Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View PostLephturn, on 05 August 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

Great guide!

I will offer a slight modification - if you get any premium tank you now have your credit grinder. Given that the game is free and amazing, I was happy to spend $ 2.99 for my Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f). I'm a busy dad so I am not going to have time to play a lot and I want to support the devs of this fabulous game, so the few dollars on a premium tank is well worth it for me. That is my credit grind tank and I treat it much like you do - no expensive consumables etc. to max revenue. I also like to load some HE instead of gold rounds, when I'm matched vs. tier 5 and 6 armor I will load HE and try to shoot tracks.

One more observation - the match making engine will lump three tiers together, but I find it alternates where you stack up in the list. What I mean is, if you have one match where you are the bottom tier just do your best, likely the next game you will be the top tier. With that said, if you do some damage to tanks 2 tiers higher you will generate excellent credits if your team wins. That means you need a tank that can help your team win even if you are 2 tiers lower - so picking a heavy or a TD for credit grinding might not make sense to me since a slow heavy or fragile TD are not fast enough to do much else when facing higher tier tanks. I like a medium tank that is fast enough to play scout and track shooter when I am am low on the tier rank and play the main battle tank role when I'm high on the tier rank in a match.  This might just be my preference for med/heavy tanks - and I'm a noob too, so please disabuse me of my notions here if you think I am off track. (pun intended) :)

Good point leph. I didn't include Premium tanks in the guide for one reason....the Löwe.

At the time I wrote this it wasn't uncommon to see 4 Löwes per match, most driven by people who didn't have an idea of how to play in a Tier 8 tank. 

Depending on which metric you use between 80-99% of a forum population are lurkers. As the Löwe was being introduced, there were a lot of posts from experienced WoT players touting how OP the Löwe could be. With the right commander, these posts were and are ABSOLUTELY correct. However at the time it was introduced a lot of the games population was between Tiers 3-6. So our lurkers read how great this tank was and went out and bought this OP beast expecting to make creds and exp hand over fist.

Then came reality, gameplay at those lower tiers they were used to playing at is very, very different. The cap is the main Zone of Engagement. In higher tiers, flanks are usually the main ZoE's. Games are much more run & gun in lower tiers. These are things that get you killed first and quickly driving a Tier 8 vehicle.

So now consumers who were willing to spend almost $30 for a digital tank can't last more than a minute in a battle. The same forumites who touted the Löwe as the best thing since sliced bread now whined and complained about all of the wallet warrior noobs who ruined their battle. Or better yet named and shamed some driver who couldn't figure out what was going on and waggled his turret back and forth never shooting back as he died from fire on all four sides of him.

That $30 went down the drain for those consumers and I am sure WoTB lost players because of it. I'm pretty sure that is also why we won't see other Tier 8 premiums until the player base gets a lot more people in T 7-9.

I didn't want to be a part of the problem of turning new players away from the game, so I didn't address premiums at all. We are mostly alphas in the game community. Even if I wrote a huge warning about not buying a premium out of your tier comfort zone most of us would ignore it. We would think that the warning didn't apply to us...we are too good at games to have that happen. And get our behinds handed to us...repeatedly. The game wouldn't be fun anymore.

I like premiums, I have 3, but I use them to mess around when I'm tired of grinding.

Lephturn #19 Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22174 battles
  • [III-S]

I guess I'm too cheap for the Lowe! :)

I hear you about wallet warriors and the impact on the game for high tier tanks. I just joined so I missed that, but I'm sure the devs have learned from it. For those with a bit of common sense, a close-to-tier or same tier premium can be a very good credit earner. My B2 is mine. I thought about the Lowe and the SU-100Y, but I get that I'd be out of my depth to jump ahead to the Lowe and I don't really play TD's much so the SU would just get me smoked I'm sure.

With premium tanks comes premium responsibility!

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

putnamJavi #20 Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

My main progression has been up the German TD line.  When the Lowe came out, I was too busy grinding my Ferdi to really care.  I did notice from first hand observation that it can be a great tank in the right hands but this was the exception, not the rule.  When the SU-100Y came out, I bought it as it would expose me to Soviet TD's.  Not only has it been able to dish out great dmg against even higher tier tanks but I just can't lose money with this thing.  A dramatic difference when compared to my Jagdtiger as I lose money with that tank even when we win.  Right now, my strategy is to simply grind in my SU-100Y earning enough money to pay for my Jagdtiger.  It works well for me.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users