Guide for New Players: Situational Awareness

_1204_ Guide for New Players Situational Awareness

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Putins_Chariot #1 Posted 20 July 2015 - 12:57 AM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles
Note: If you have been on the forums a while, you will probably learn NOTHING from this, as it was directed for very new players...  All comments, suggestions, +1's, requests for other guides, or questions can be commented here, or PM'd to me. 

Some more "Guides for New Players":

Knowing Your Role

Positioning Your Tank

Situational Awareness

Situational awareness is arguably one of the most basic, but important skills to have. Being a good tanker requires you to know EXACTLY where people are, and what they are doing. Don't be that guy who lets people drive up straight behind you and pop a few cans in the fragile rear of your tank. Several factors contribute to good situational awareness, some less than you may think. So lets get started!

1. Knowing your maps- It is very important to know each and every map, with as many details as possible. Always going to the same spot on a map can prove to be very unwise. The key to being a good player is to play each and every tank to its own strengths. Had an incident today where the road was blocked by bodies in Middleburg.

Spoiler

Granted, many know its quite simple to get around (going through cap, or those fields). But knowing the map well helps you pick the fastest possible way. Also knowing key locations of holes in rocks or cracks in buildings can give you an amazing advantage over someone who looks at it as "just a city". For an overview of all the maps, you can see KamikazeeDolphin's overview of maps at: http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/17399-a-birds-eye-overview-guide-of-every-map-in-the-game-14-total/

2. The minimap- The minimap is an incredibly useful tool that many may overlook more than they should. It can sometimes tell tou in advance where the enemy is

As seen here

The map is deadrail. This shows that all of the enemy forces are staggered in the valley or at their spawn, giving us the extra 20 seconds to react before the fighting begins. It is nice to know about how far your tank can spot. I just approximate since its hard to judge distance in battle. Also you can tell that the snipers are exposed and need protection, but that is mostly if you are playing WoT straight from the textbook, where tds most only snipe and heavies always lead assaults. it takes about 5-10 seconds to locate an enemy after the above picture was taken... That 5-10 seconds is enough to get into a great defensive position, or continue the flank. 

3. The HUD (head up display)- The HUD has many factors that assist in knowing your surroundings, besides the controls and view of course:teethhappy:

Spoiler

In the top picture, you can see a red arrow/triangle pointing off screen to my right. This is THE key to situational awareness. The arrow is indicating there is an enemy to my right flank! Eventually, you can develop almost a 6th sense for if the arrow is pointing to a threat or not, but it is always good to check. The arrow also gets darker the closer the enemy is. Obviously, the enemy in this pic was busy, but in your own battle, he may not be. It is ALWAYS a good idea to check the guy out just to be positive. Now, obviously if there is a wall to your right, and the arrow is pointing right, then... do I need to go on?

This picture also shows the capture bar. This is how much the enemy or your allies have on their progress of capping the base. If you do not know what this is (-_-), Capturing the base is an alternative way to win if you are outnumbered, the last guy is running, or you wanna be a pain to your allies. It can also add pressure to enemies, and make them mess up. Pretty simple, but time flies when you're breaking tenks, so 100 seconds may feel like 20. My rule of thumb, wait until it hits 50 until I go do the dirty work myself. Make sure you give enough time, don't start up your Matilda when the bar is at 80 and you are still in spawn.

The second picture is a close up of the top middle of your screen. This is important because it tells you how much of your team there is left. The numbers on your team is how many enemies you have destroyed (as a team). The battle timer is also important, because it tells you how much time you have left. Its important to give yourself enough time to cap (remember, the clock needs to say at least 1:40 for one person to cap), and lead assaults. The tanks at the top left and right (no pic) tells you which tanks were killed, which are alive, what tier they are, and who they are. Most tier 7s can take on at least 3 tier 5's on their own, so be cautious of WHO is left.

Ever seen the light bulb?

The light bulb will appear 3 seconds after you appear on the enemies minimap/screen. If you are a sniper, you know to back up into cover. If you see this, know to expect the fight to be coming' soon. Also lets you know when to get into a good firing position.

4. Know when you are protected- Knowing when you are safe is a good sign of victory. There are markers to show ricochets and non-penetrations. If you are getting these consecutively, then you know you are doing something right, and you are safe (for now).

Bouncing in the king of bounces ;-)

If the marker is red instead of black, it means you have taken damage. Please keep in mind that damage to modules also show up as red, even if your tank lost no HP. If this happens, find cover or angle!

5. View- Obviously you can see enemies from your actual tank right? Well sometimes not. The "draw distance" is how far tanks will visually show up on your screen.

In this picture...

there should be heavy tank in the back there (look at my minimap) This shows up very rarely, but is very possible (happens in PC all the time) Unfortunately, this is a set distance and can not be changed without mods/hacks. Also, remember to keep that turret turning so you can visually see the reds.

Configuring you view in settings can also help know what you are up against. Go to top left>Settings>Marker> Choose your ally, enemy, or dead, and, configure! I would RECOMMEND showing tier, model, and hp on all enemies... The rest is up to the individual. 

VERY IMPORTANT Though your tank may be hidden, trees are not. Look on the horizen for fallen trees. Or if on the hunt, look for broken fences and other destructable terrain

6. Things to keep in mind- the "duh" moments

• If there is bullets landing around you, move. You are being sniped.
  • if a scout is coming, kill him first. Dont let him behind you and your team
  • never leave a flank open
  • Realize and know when somebody is behind you.

7. Player feedback-

1.  After you die, go back and watch others and see how THEY react, since you have free movement camera you can see all around them. Pay attention! Though you cant see their HUD or controls, you CAN see how they react in certain situations ~tlouie

Hope you enjoyed!

Got something to add? Leave it in the comments and I can edit it in! 

Edited by _1204_, 16 August 2015 - 12:39 AM.

_Kase #2 Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:03 AM

Why Am I Never On The Red Team?

• Players
  • 39135 battles

This is put together very well, very easy to understand!

I just hope it will help with the low standard of gameplay:teethhappy:

3 Years of happiness is what blitz brought to me

What Has It Done For You?

(I support +2/-2)

MSixteen #3 Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:05 AM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles

View PostWMd76, on 19 July 2015 - 07:03 PM, said:

there are very few TRULY horrible players on the forums

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

tlouie #4 Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:10 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]
If you're killed early in the battle, do not just return to the garage.

Stay and learn.

Cycle thru your team view until you find the teammate with the most kills in this match. Now watch them and study the mini map!

Thestral_ #5 Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:10 AM

Explosive Ordinance Disaster

• Players
  • 13680 battles
Very in depth. Great for new players.

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid. -Some famous british tanker on youtube.

dilusions #6 Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:18 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15554 battles
:honoring:

Blesd12 #7 Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:47 AM

Bulldog Alpha

• Players
  • 11012 battles
Absolutely spot on 

Bulldog is Here!!! 

"Bulldog will always win! Unless a frickin russian shows up. Dang russian 152 mm.

LE_gend_VI #8 Posted 20 July 2015 - 01:49 AM

The man, the myth

• Players
  • 20816 battles
If we could only get the masses to see this. Very well written. Most forumers notice alot even under fire and can multi task while dishing out damage. I spam the forum address all the time maybe someone will see it

Putins_Chariot #9 Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:20 AM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

View PostLE_gend_VI, on 19 July 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

If we could only get the masses to see this. Very well written. Most forumers notice alot even under fire and can multi task while dishing out damage. I spam the forum address all the time maybe someone will see it

Yes, I know. Tutorial needs to be WAY more specific... People need to get this info when they start game. Not after they come visit forums after so many thousand battles

View PostBlesd12, on 19 July 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

Absolutely spot on 

View PostBrokenStar54, on 19 July 2015 - 08:10 PM, said:

Very in depth. Great for new players.

View PostWMd76, on 19 July 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

TY all so much:) Looking to do another, but on what? Considering one about predicting the enemys location or tactics like hull down/sidescraping

Ksftwe #10 Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:25 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26250 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View Post_1204_, on 19 July 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

Always going to the same spot on a map can prove to be very unwise. The key to being a good player is to play each and every tank to its own strengths. Had an incident today where the road was blocked by bodies in Middleburg.

I disagree with this. Most maps (but not all) have one or two very important choke points that you need to hold off, depending on spawn. And subsequently, there are places that you need to get to if you want to win. Caves in Black Goldville, bunker in Rockfield, base in Falls Creek, giant fountain in Lost Temple, etc. I go there 95% of the time, no matter what tank I'm in. Why do I always go there? Because it works. It gives me vantage points over important locations, I can farm damage while still being safe, and I can remain a threat to multiple enemies at once. To add on to this, however, you should know when to ditch that oh-so-perfect hull down or sidescraping spot if the situation calls for it. This is where everything else you wrote comes into play...watching your surroundings, knowing when to push, when to retreat, etc.

But overall, it's very advantageous to have a "sweet spot" for each map that you go to (depending on tank type) 80% of the time. It's impossible to memorize every corner of the map so you can exploit it - just yesterday my platoon mate showed me a fantastic hull down spot on Castilla which I had never known before. Clearly I didn't know the map perfectly yet. And I doubt anyone will. If you find a very precise, OP position on a map that works, stick to it every time, except in extreme circumstances.

Everything else in your guide is great, though, so +1 for you.

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

Thestral_ #11 Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:26 AM

Explosive Ordinance Disaster

• Players
  • 13680 battles
I would suggest angling and sidescraping next, too many players dont know how.

If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid. -Some famous british tanker on youtube.

Pheldagriff #12 Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:32 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9131 battles

Great guide! +1

maybe you could create a Knowing your Role guide

I see too many Russian heavies with 122mm guns sniping.

"Sucking is the First Step to Being Sorta Good at Something"

UwUmonkeChan #13 Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:05 AM

Clubs Wargaming

• Players
  • 31871 battles
  • [_V2_]
You HAD to show off your panzer 2j....

Kaylis_Tzu #14 Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:24 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14297 battles
  • [GRIM]
Great guide. Well done. If only it was required reading. +1

"Blitz is a game governed by the aggressive use of force." - Kaylis Tzu

"It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it." - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Putins_Chariot #15 Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

View PostKsftwe, on 19 July 2015 - 09:25 PM, said:

I disagree with this. Most maps (but not all) have one or two very important choke points that you need to hold off, depending on spawn. And subsequently, there are places that you need to get to if you want to win. Caves in Black Goldville, bunker in Rockfield, base in Falls Creek, giant fountain in Lost Temple, etc. I go there 95% of the time, no matter what tank I'm in. Why do I always go there? Because it works. It gives me vantage points over important locations, I can farm damage while still being safe, and I can remain a threat to multiple enemies at once. To add on to this, however, you should know when to ditch that oh-so-perfect hull down or sidescraping spot if the situation calls for it. This is where everything else you wrote comes into play...watching your surroundings, knowing when to push, when to retreat, etc.

But overall, it's very advantageous to have a "sweet spot" for each map that you go to (depending on tank type) 80% of the time. It's impossible to memorize every corner of the map so you can exploit it - just yesterday my platoon mate showed me a fantastic hull down spot on Castilla which I had never known before. Clearly I didn't know the map perfectly yet. And I doubt anyone will. If you find a very precise, OP position on a map that works, stick to it every time, except in extreme circumstances.

Everything else in your guide is great, though, so +1 for you.

I read this while trying to imagine a crusader and team of mediums trying to hold off the fort despair choke point against tier 7 heavies... All jokingness aside, I do see your point;)

Putins_Chariot #16 Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:57 PM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

View Postcrazychimp69, on 19 July 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:

You HAD to show off your panzer 2j....

Well, try bouncing in a centurion...Grinded all last week and guess what? no bounces.:angry: THIS tank, Id be willing to bet id get a screenshot first time, and I did!

Putins_Chariot #17 Posted 20 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

View PostPheldagriff, on 19 July 2015 - 09:32 PM, said:

Great guide! +1

maybe you could create a Knowing your Role guide

I see too many Russian heavies with 122mm guns sniping.

Consider it done:)   

View PostBrokenStar54, on 19 July 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

I would suggest angling and sidescraping next, too many players dont know how.

Was going to do one on tactics like flanking, scouting, and so on

(sorry for comment span... So many replies since I last got on)

Ammo #18 Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:07 PM

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

• Players
  • 30466 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostKaylis_Tzu, on 19 July 2015 - 10:24 PM, said:

Great guide. Well done. If only it was required reading. +1

Ditto, however, I will say that when the red team completely lacks situational awareness it is quite entertaining.  Saturday night at Copperfield, my platoon mate and I found the reds all went flank and held at the spot where the hill can put shells in their side.  And they didn't react to that arrow from the left and their health going to zero.  We didn't take a single round back, they didn't move to safety, we just wiped out 5 of their 7 and then cleaned up the remnants.   Not that I want that to happen every game but it was like arcade shooting and, well, a little enjoyable.

As seen in game chat "ammo sux"

Blitz Community Coalition

Putins_Chariot #19 Posted 20 July 2015 - 08:29 PM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

View Postcrazychimp69, on 20 July 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

A Matilda or Hetzer or regular panzer 2 would be sufficient. Maus would be fine as well.

Why spend a few thousand creds I dont need to?

tinmanic #20 Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:01 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32784 battles
  • [SPUD]
+1 thanks 1204, great info!

Stealth & Tinman looking spudly

My Stats:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users