Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

ENO75 #1 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:06 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

The Triarii [iii]

(A brief history of the original TRIARII can be found HERE)

Our website can be found HERE 

SPECIAL NOTES REGARDING SITE REGISTRATION:

As mentioned in our forums on our own website recently, our open recruitment process has been terminated. We're making some administrative adjustments in an effort to prepare for the significant expansion of our Blitz community with the introduction of Android platforms... Battening down the hatches so to speak. 

We will, however, continue to leave the patio door open a crack to prospects who fit our general requirements so that ANY OG (old guy) can feel welcome joining us in our gladiator nights or other grinding platoons. 

Requirements:

- 30+ (Preferred but we'll never say no to an old soul with some thumb-eye coordination). We are a mature group and we do realize that in some cases a 20 year old can be more mature than a 50 year old. 

- Signed / acknowledge Integrity's forum pledge to do our part in keeping the forum a positive and non-threatening environment for those who respect its politics. (Found HERE)

- While guests are often welcome to join us, we will not formally recruit members who have active status with other clans. We ask that members who wish to join and are active elsewhere follow their current clan protocols to terminate their status before applying.

- HIGHLY recommend that anyone interested in figuring out what we're about- go to Lephturn's podcasts HERE. For clan and application information, you can go to Podcast 5 at about 14:30.

In the event that you are interested in joining our website, simply contribute to this thread with enough regularity for us to figure out if you're a proper fit for that community. 

Our registration agreement can be viewed HERE:

Spoiler

TS3 is HIGHLY recommended and is available through the app store on the IOS platforms. Voice comms has really enhanced the experience but considering most guys are playing without headphones I do ask that guys try to keep it somewhat clean. Keep in mind that 7 year old "Timmy" may be looking over dad's shoulder and being set ablaze by a string of profanity may not meet the approval of CINC-HOUSE. 

TS3 INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE

Please PM me for the TS3 details.

BANNER INFORMATION AND INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS CAN BE FOUND HERE

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spoiler

As a way of getting things started I've noticed a real "Cheng / Ch'i" process happening in many, many missions and given the entirely random nature of the teams / map I thought it might be a mentality that would be valuable.

For those of you who aren't familiar and are too bored to google it, Cheng and Ch'i are part a chapter in Sun Tzu's "Art of War" (Chapter 5 that relates to the energy of battle) essentially like ying and yang- and though I haven't looked at it for awhile is a way of describing the energy of attack. Though by definition Cheng is direct interaction with the enemy and Ch'i is more related to the flankor diversions- the two are technically interchangeable and frequently shift throughout battle.

Let's look at Rockfield map- There are two general pushes... one is up the hill by the bunkers and the other is down low closer to the cap. Quite often the heavier push is down in the rocks, while flank guards / sniper sweeps head into the bunkers around to the opposite spawn. Other times, the main push is into the bunkers heading for the flank, while people seeking flank opportunities are in the rocks closer to the cap. You don't really know what is cheng and ch'i until contact is made- and even then it may change as both sides seek opportunities.

Cheng may be the overall motivation of the team- whether they know it or not... are you going to kill everyone, or capture? Generally if everyone is likeminded and think they should capture... most are going to push into the base as cheng. A few might end up heading into the rocks- this would be the ch'i contingent. Ch'i ends up encountering the entirety of the opposition save for 1-2 tanks...

So what do you do in this scenario? Well- two possibilities. One is you maintain this as Ch'i and generally harass the main body of the opposition in hopes that your Cheng is accomplishing its objective (capture)... Or you shift Cheng / Ch'i and move resources around to address the abundance of opposition that has moved into your flank. To maintain Ch'i, the guys being overrun need to have the confidence to withdraw- or "tactically advance to the rear" as it is known. Alternatively, with better coordination that can become Cheng and the bulk of your force can come to your aid to fight the enemy leaving a few stragglers to transition to Ch'i.

How does one do this in a random game at the whims of the MM? Well... generally you can't coordinate it with the team since you can't take the time to type. But why I bring it up is to highlight that even around 2500 years ago, these general concepts applied to a million man army as much as it applies to 7. There is focus, and peripheral... if your eyes shift their focus, then they should move together- otherwise changing focus alone will result in a very blurry image indeed.

See you on the battlefield!

TANK GUIDES:

M4 "Easy 8"

IS3 

KV5

TANK RESOURCE LINKS:

IS / IS3 / IS8 / IS7

Integrity125 #2 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:16 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2938 battles

Sending Old Men To War...

By a random veteran

If I could, I'd enlist today and help my country track down those responsible for killing thousands of innocent people in New York City and Washington, DC But, I'm over 50 now and the Armed Forces say I'm too old to track down terrorists. You can't be older than 35 to join the military.

They've got the whole thing backwards. Instead of sending 18-year-olds off to fight, they ought to take us old guys. You shouldn't be able to join until you're at least 35.

For starters: Researchers say 18-year-olds think about sex every 10 seconds.
Old guys only think about sex a couple of times a day, leaving us more that 28,000 additional seconds per day to concentrate on the enemy.
Young guys haven't lived long enough to be cranky, and a cranky soldier is a dangerous soldier.

If we can't kill the enemy we'll complain them into submission. "My back hurts!" "I'm hungry!" "Where's the remote control?"

An 18-year-old hasn't had a legal beer yet and you shouldn't go to war until you're at least old enough to legally drink. An average old guy, on the other hand, has consumed 126,000 gallons of beer by the time he's 35 and a jaunt through the desert heat with a backpack and M-60 would do wonders for the old beer belly.

An 18-year-old doesn't like to get up before 10 a.m. Old guys get up early (to pee).

If old guys are captured we couldn't spill the beans because we'd probably forget where we put them. In fact, name, rank, and serial number would be a real brainteaser. Boot camp would actually be easier for old guys

We're used to getting screamed and yelled at and we actually like soft food.
We've also developed a deep appreciation for guns and rifles. We like them almost better than naps.

They could lighten up on the obstacle course however. I've been in combat and didn't see a single 20-foot wall with rope hanging over the side, nor did I ever do any pushups after training. I can hear the Drill Sergeant now, "Get down and give me...er...one." And the running part is kind of a waste of energy. I've never seen anyone outrun a bullet.

An 18-year-old has the whole world ahead of him. He's still learning to shave, to actually carry on a conversation, to wear pants without the top of the butt crack showing and the boxer shorts sticking out, to learn that a pierced tongue catches food particles, and that a 200-watt speaker in the back seat of a Honda Accord can rupture an eardrum. All great reasons to keep our sons at home and to learn a little more about life before sending them off to a possible death, let us old guys track down those dirty rotten cowards who attacked our hearts on September 11.

The last thing the enemy would want to see right now is a couple of million old farts with attitudes.

Strange but true. In the Roman army the third line of infantry (the Triarii) was made up of the older legionaries. If the day went well the young bucks would do most of the work. If things went badly the first two lines could fall back behind the Triarii, who would form a phalanx . Being older and more experienced the Triarii were less likely to panic under such conditions.

I'm just a teenager, but I couldn't resist posting this. :)

Class II Closed Beta Tester

Community Pledge Signer

Tier Xs: IS-7. I know I know. I'm working on getting more.

"The object of a fight is not to win. It is to give your opponent no choice but to lose."

ThemasterTanker1 #3 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:21 AM

No, this is Patrick

• Players
  • 18304 battles

View PostIntegrity125, on 27 July 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

The last thing the enemy would want to see right now is a couple of million old farts with attitudes.

That is the greatest thing I have ever heard in my life.

Str8UpJack #4 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:22 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14535 battles
  • [III-C]
I am in!  I am coming in at a "young" 46 yrs old.  My head hurts after reading the drama queen [edited]flying around this forum lately.  It was entertaining at the start but it's just spun way out of control now.  Add me and I'll add you and anyone else that is mature enough to keep the drama off this forum and game.   Peace!

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

Str8UpJack #5 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:27 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14535 battles
  • [III-C]
Man that is great stuff, Integrity!  Haven't stumbled on that before.. Where did you find it?  Most of hit home pretty hard though ;)

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

siouxinpa #6 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:29 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

I resemble the old fart stereotype, retired after 27 years in the infantry. Love talking tactics. Drama can be entertaining, it can also be destructive.

Feel free to add me. And head on over and sign Integrity125's pledge

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

Integrity125 #7 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2938 battles

View PostStr8UpJack, on 28 July 2014 - 11:27 AM, said:

Man that is great stuff, Integrity! Haven't stumbled on that before.. Where did you find it? Most of hit home pretty hard though ;)

Found it over here:

http://www.angelfire...ter/murphy.html

Community Pledge Signer

"The object of a fight is not to win. It is to give your opponent no choice but to lose."

concep #8 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:35 AM

Stop Tunneling Me

• Players
  • 26656 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostENO75, on 27 July 2014 - 10:06 PM, said:

Let's look at Rockfield map- There are two general pushes... one is up the hill by the bunkers and the other is down low closer to the cap. Quite often the heavier push is down in the rocks, while flank guards / sniper sweeps head into the bunkers around to the opposite spawn. Other times, the main push is into the bunkers heading for the flank, while people seeking flank opportunities are in the rocks closer to the cap. You don't really know what is cheng and ch'i until contact is made- and even then it may change as both sides seek opportunities.

As the tiers get higher and higher on that map, you'll notice less activity down in the cap area and have almost 100% of the combat in the bunker area. Usually quick and ferocious, the moment a member of your team dies near a bunker, which is covering the other bunkers, it's basically game over. The enemies mediums will converge on you but you do have an escape route which is down the hill and rush down middle in the small ravine running parallel with cap. Flanking almost never works in higher tiers once you've already made contact as there are only few avenues of approach to fire upon the enemies once you're in position and a majority of the time, they'll see your move coming. When there's an enemy on cap, the majority of the team, especially in higher tiers, MUST finish off the remaining enemies around the bunkers or you'll expose yourself and easily become mincemeat to your eager enemies who want a nice chunk of your HP.

I may be only 17, but I understand the values of Art of War and love things relating to the military, especially tactics. Whether it be dealing with armor, infantry, helicopters or planes providing support to ground forces, or having a dogfight thousands of feet in the sky.

Tier Xs (in order of unlocking): T110E5, M48 Patton, T-62A, IS-7, E50M, IS-4, FV4202, T110E3, FV215b, Obj. 268, T110E4, Leopard 1, Obj. 140, STB-1, Obj. 263, T57 Heavy, AMX 50B, Bat Chat 25t

Most played tank: T-62A (3,000 battles)

Favorite Quotes                       #BACKFROMTHEGRAVE                                   YouTube Channel!

GaryP11111 #9 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:40 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4228 battles

Fellow geezer here. The ability to adapt to the constant ebb and flow on the battlefield is to me what makes a great tanker. And the most important tool we have is the mini-map, which is so easy to overlook in the heat of battle. I like to make a strategic commitment that I can readily adjust tactically. And by strategic commitment I mean picking out a spot that gives me the best chance of rapidly assessing the changing shape of the battle and allows me a good shot at being an effective component of the team. And for me, it starts and ends with what is best for the team, whether they are highly skilled players or newbies. 

Sure, sometimes you're dealt a lousy hand. For instance maybe you're placed on one of the flanking positions at spawn and then you watch the other tank(s) positioned with you run off and join the main force charging into Middleburg. But that's a part of WoTB just as much as terrain is. That's why it's hard for me to complain about unskilled players, newbies and crappy matches that leave you handicapped at the start. You have to adapt and even if you lose, the right attitude and post-game assessment will improve your game.

Cheng/Ch'i may perhaps be most crucial to medium tank drivers because we're riding into battle in armored vehicles primarily meant for infantry support. That's not an advantage in a universe filled with TDs and heavy tanks. So you have to discover your role in medium tank that helps your team AND adjust to changes on the battlefield.

Occasionally there is a sixth-sense you get during some games where the experience is akin to an instinctive assessment and reassessment of what is going on in front of you and around you. Those games are the most satisfying to me and are the most likely to leave me with higher damage and more kills inflicted upon the enemy.

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

naktl #10 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:40 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles
  • [III]

Boy am I glad to see this post.

I am also in and will likely be the old man of the geriatrics group.

I don't have any experience with WoT outside of Blitz.  I do have a lot of experience with shooters and always prefer to find people to team with who tend toward the tactical and have never really liked twitch games.   I am still pretty terrible at this game, but hope I am slowly getting better.  My name in game is the same as here so you can look me up and add me if you wish.

SRegs #11 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:45 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6197 battles

I'm in too (I'm 50... oh dear God I can't believe it sometimes!).

Anyway also a very interesting posting on the ebb and flow of energies in battles. I'd never really thought about it like that before but it really makes sense and the Rockfield map is an excellent example of a place where those energies play out. The mines is another one that is similar. It's also true that given the ad-hoc nature of the game in the way the teams are put together, it's pretty much like herding cats in terms of trying to get any kind of coherent strategy going. Sometimes one gets lucky and you end up with a bunch that seems to just kind of "get it" in an unspoken or "psychic" way and everyone works together. Other times, well... think cats all over the place.  

Personally my nature tends to be more of the Ch'i type player but the first thing I try to do is see if there's someone I can informally "team up" with or be a wing man to. If I see the rest of the group teaming up or flowing together I'm quite happy to follow the team and work with them as best I can (go Cheng). Otherwise I'll go Ch'i and hope for the best. 

Good stuff ENO!

mdana #12 Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:46 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5259 battles
Great stuff guys. 

T18, T29, T34, T26E4 SuperPershing, M46 Patton, M103, T110E5

IS-3, IS-6, KV-4, KV-5, ST-I

Panther II, VK 45.02 B

Comet

GaryP11111 #13 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4228 battles
Did we just form the Triarri clan?

ad triarios ventum est

ENO75 #14 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Thanks for the great response so far... an assembly of old souls! I don't care if you're 12 or 70... when you get it, you get it. 

I'm with you Naktl- I had never played this before blitz and I probably won't move into the WOT PC since this is exactly what I was looking for. The only thing that could make it better is a group of folks I can identify with.

And Integrity- that's a great clip. 

I'm pretty terrible as well but I think I'm getting the hang of applying some of the techniques. Still haven't gotten my head around ramming yet- whether to do it or defend against it but as frustrating as it is I have to admit that I've been rammed at crucial points where it worked in their favour and though I wanted to punch the guy's face in its face... had to acknowledge that it was EXACTLY what needed to happen to bring me to my knees and give his team victory. 

Also, concep- good analogy on that transition as you get into higher tiers- that's exactly what I've noticed lately as I work a 7 (IS). I enjoy the sweep to the rear to hunt down long visioned snipers but admit that I've read a lot of material lately suggesting the IS is more of a brawler and that I should be in closer. Thing is I have a 20+ second reload so I don't think it applies to my gun. If I get into the 100mm or drop down to an 85... maybe- but with the big gun I tend to hunt down snipers. 

Where the C / C thing came to me was occasionally I'll go around the flank and not bump into anyone... except an occasional sniper camped out. (prey). Other times I'd go around and encounter the entire enemy force and in the absence of being able to get the word out  (other than a poorly timed SOS)... I'd just do the best I could. Nevermind that by the time the heavies amble up the hill to do battle in support of my flailing it's already LONG since over and many opponents have had a chance to use the slopes to their advantage. 

Edited by ENO75, 28 July 2014 - 03:07 AM.

Integrity125 #15 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:07 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2938 battles

View PostGaryP11111, on 28 July 2014 - 12:05 PM, said:

Did we just form the Triarri clan?

OMG

Community Pledge Signer

ENO75 #16 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:08 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Uh oh. Distinct possibility! 

Might need to merge with that casual clan that is developing since I suspect our intentions may be very much in line...

Though that is a pretty fricken awesome name.

Edited by ENO75, 28 July 2014 - 03:09 AM.

Integrity125 #17 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:14 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2938 battles

View PostENO75, on 28 July 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Might need to merge with that casual clan that is developing since I suspect our intentions may be very much in line...

Now I wish I were an old guy too, so I could join this Triarii Clan. I have my loyalties to Empires, however...

Community Pledge Signer

GaryP11111 #18 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:23 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4228 battles

View PostSRegs, on 28 July 2014 - 03:45 AM, said:.

...Personally my nature tends to be more of the Ch'i type player but the first thing I try to do is see if there's someone I can informally "team up" with or be a wing man to. If I see the rest of the group teaming up or flowing together I'm quite happy to follow the team and work with them as best I can (go Cheng). Otherwise I'll go Ch'i and hope for the best. 

That's a good point. There are players who I've watched that I will support, damn the torpedoes, er, AP shells. One of them has a name something like JMcMasters. He tends to sweep wide on certain maps (which I enjoy as well) and I've had some great games sweeping alongside his tank. And no matter how I do, if I get killed I select other tanks from which to watch the unfolding game. You can learn a lot that way.

ad triarios ventum est

ENO75 #19 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:52 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

View PostSRegs, on 28 July 2014 - 03:45 AM, said:

Personally my nature tends to be more of the Ch'i type player but the first thing I try to do is see if there's someone I can informally "team up" with or be a wing man to. If I see the rest of the group teaming up or flowing together I'm quite happy to follow the team and work with them as best I can (go Cheng). Otherwise I'll go Ch'i and hope for the best. 

Good stuff ENO!

I think we all sort of start off "wanting" to go Ch'i since that lends itself to taking less damage overall and inflicting maximum on unsuspecting enemies (and lowers the chances of anyone seeing us doing something silly / stupid / noob / etc)... however the transition from Ch'i to Cheng is an uncomfortable one if you don't have the fortitude to withdraw and "harass" when the opportunity presents itself. 

Another one of my ABSOLUTE favourite quotes- (and please feel free to add your own to the thread) is "Be prepared to seize opportunity- do not attempt to create it." This is another from Sun Tzu- though I think it has since been repeated by a number of different people. This mentality again emphasizes the ability to remain flexible and to adapt to the situation instead of being blinded by one objective. 

One of the MOST important tools in the DCS world is Teamspeak 3... and if the mention of the word clan is even floating around half seriously it is a MUST for everyone. I do have my own TS3 server that I use for "Eno's Firehouse" (my DCSW server)... but I can easily add to it so that the Triarii Clan can congregate there during game time. It's up roughly 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is also available on ipad. Disadvantage is we may need to be open mic / voice activated. 

Anyway, we have the technology...

Edited by ENO75, 28 July 2014 - 07:00 AM.

siouxinpa #20 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:55 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View PostENO75, on 27 July 2014 - 11:08 PM, said:

If you are talking about this one, I'm pretty sure that our intentions align,

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users