• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

Guderian5266 #1341 Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31803 battles
  • [III-S]

Sporting my new banner - thanks ENO!

Thanks to PutnamJavi for a few good platoon games last night (no TS3). Me in my VK36.01 and him in SU-100Y. Went well, 3-0, although he dealt out lots more damage than me. I did succeed in last

game in spotting out last enemy sniper - mostly by getting tracked and then killed - but PutnamJavi got him! 

Community Pledge Signer

Guderian5266 #1342 Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:06 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31803 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostputnamJavi, on 11 September 2014 - 10:16 PM, said:

Great platooning with you Guderian!  Not a bad run we had with 4 wins in a row.  

Welcome Hearse & Watcher!  

Was it 4? I was enjoying too much, lost count!

Community Pledge Signer

occasionally_useful #1343 Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 41436 battles
I took the KV-5 for a run last night, working as a platoon, and while it's much, much weaker than advertised, it's an excellent credit maker. I walked away from almost every game with a minimum of $40,000 in my pockets. It's also excellent at the bridge in Falls Creek, where you can just park yourself, be 100% hull down and shoot across the bridge at anything that moves. If you're in the company of an experienced platoon mate, you can really make the other team's life a misery.  

tcamp48 #1344 Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 93654 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postdenlives, on 11 September 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

To all the new recruits feel free to add me to your platoon lists, please note that I still do not have TS3 yet. It is not a problem what tier you want to play. As of right now I run US heavys up to M6 and soon to add the T29. Otherwise I can go to tier 10 in US mediums.

I just earned the M48 Patton this am and have all of one battle in it. I am looking forward to earning enough experience to get the big gun and learn the limits of the tank. Btw I love the US medium line, although after my run through US heavys I will explore the Russian mediums. They appear to be even faster.

To all our Triari brethren,( and Vinylbeats, if that term is gender specific) I look forward to meeting you on the battlefield and on this thread.

To Eno, all of us owe you a great deal of thanks for starting the Triari and always being there for this group through guidance and counsel, as well as technical guru. Thank you again. Count me in for future clan warfare.

Nice to see you denlives! Glad to be part of the Triarii Clan! And a huge thank you as well to Eno for all you've done!

~ Community Pledge Signer ~ [iii] ~ #oldguard

Original M60 Owner! ~ Keeping Guns in the Game!

Str8UpJack #1345 Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15159 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostENO75, on 12 September 2014 - 07:48 AM, said:

I'm going to correct my assessment... I meant the edges of the turret (when shot at from the front) result in an armour thickness of about 300+ mm so they're likely to bounce. If you hit the side of the turret (from the side)... well- different story! 

I don't know... I just saw the tank agains and I'm easily able to penetrate multiple areas of the tank regardless how it's angled to my Panther's Gun.  Personally, I think a lot of people might feel a bit ripped off as their $24 investment gets ripped to shreds on the battlefield.  I don't think it's all that people seem to have built it up to be.  Maybe it's been nerfed from the PC version? 

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

Str8UpJack #1346 Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15159 battles
  • [III-P]

This is taken from the blitz wiki, which is finally up.  It does has text that seems to be copy/pasted from the PC wiki but it also contains the appropriate tech trees and stats now.  

Even WG seems to admit this tank is not worth $24 if you want to actually survive a battle and not have your KDR suffer.  If it's just about making credits then I suppose it's ok.  

Block Quote

This tank is known for its enormous hull and turret armor which are strong amongst all the premium tanks, but it lacks a proper cannon for its tier. Even more so than the other KVs, it's a lumbering beast with a pitifully slow turret traverse rate. However, it is also extremely heavy and thus ramming other tanks is a very viable strategy in close-quarter combat (though you'll need a bit of space to get up to speed). There are many weak spots on this tank that an experienced player can target to inflict heavy damage, but even so the sheer amount of HP can carry it through a lot of battles  ( *** my comments - this seems to be the only good thing the tank has going for it as I mentioned this was the only reason the KV5 was able to kill me just before I put the final shot into him ). In short, the KV-5 is an excellent steel wall/roadblock that can soak up damage for your teammates, but due to its lack of firepower, it's better equipped to be a support tank than a spearhead.

This tank was removed from the in game store with the introduction of version 0.7.5. It last appeared in the NA server gift shop on 11 - 14 April 2013, as part of the WoT NA server Second Anniversary specials.

Edited by Str8UpJack, 12 September 2014 - 01:45 PM.

Eire1916 #1347 Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19273 battles
  • [III-Z]
Where did I see the instructions for setting up the banner ? 

tcamp48 #1348 Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:05 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 93654 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostENO75, on 12 September 2014 - 06:32 AM, said:

I've slightly updated the TS3 link to account for the recent changes. One of the things I've just learned (that a few people already knew) is that if you want to be able to see who is in what room, you just need to subscribe to the room. To do this, select the room (eventually I expect you'll want to go through each room and subscribe to them individually) and instead of clicking "join channel" you will choose the "subscribe to channel" option. This will prevent you from having to join each room before you can see who is in it. This will be EXTREMELY helpful as we start to break into groups who we tend to gel with. 

Further thoughts on organization that have been brought to my attention by a variety of members got me reading the wiki again. Here is an entry describing 3 levels of "heavy infantry" within the military organization during the Roman Republic. 

• Equites (cavalry): The cavalry was originally the most prestigious unit, where wealthy young Roman men displayed their skill and prowess, laying the foundation for an eventual political career. 
  • The hastati (sing. hastatus) consisted of raw or inexperienced soldiers, considered to be less reliable than legionaries of several years' service. The Hastati were placed at the front for several reasons. One reason is the city of Rome could ill-afford to lose experienced soldiers, so they put the greenest soldiers at the front. If they survived, the Hastati/tus would gain invaluable experience. Another reason is if the newest soldiers succumbed to battle nerves and broke and tried to run, then there were experienced soldiers behind them to scare or comfort them.
  • The principes (sing. princeps) These were the more experienced soldiers, often better equipped than the Hastati, and having more experience on the battle field, they would take up the second line in the battle in the event the Hastati failed or fled. They were the second wave in an early Republican Legion before the military reforms of Marius.
  • The triarii (sing. triarius) were the veteran soldiers, to be used in battle only in extreme situations; they rested one knee down when not engaged in combat. The triarii served primarily as reserves or barrier troopsdesigned to backstop the hastati and principes, and were equipped with long hastae (spears) rather than the pilum and gladius (the hastati and principes stopped using spears in 387 BC). 

I don't think anyone fits the description of Hastati... but without reading into it TOO much I think it fits for people who are new to the group... still feeling their way through TS3 and some of the antics... still trying to adopt their play style to TS3  capability ETC. Hastati wouldn't reflect number of battles at all... some brand new members have 4k. Maybe a month? Maybe a vote? To discuss. 

I see opportunity for 4 groups:

1) Guys who want to compete and take their gameplay, communication and coordination to the next level. TS3 will be mandatory at this level only.

2) A swing group that enjoys being competitive and works with group 1 but also enjoys hanging back with group 3. As people move on with their lives or need to take a break, the supply of folks in group 2 will be drafted into group 1. This will also likely be where our members who are interested in helping others develop their skills may reside. 

3) A group of guys who aren't interested in the clan war aspect, and are more focused on participating at a casual level. We ALL help teach- but folks in this group don't make it a focus. 

4) New members to the clan will likely enter at this level until they get comfortable with the group. They can either move into group 3 and hang out... or move into the swing group 2. How this happens is open for debate... I expect that as senior folks talk on TS3 and figure out who fits where this distinction can be made. 

Triarii specifically were broken down into smaller Maniples... So in theory we could find different names for the 4 different Maniples. Alternatively, we could call our competitive members the Equites, our swing group the Principes and our casuals the Triarii... The reason I say this is that most of the guys who are happy being casual are still among the most experienced. The Hastati would be our group 4. 

Anyway- some EARLY morning thoughts as night shift draws to a close. 

Completely agree with the breakdown. Makes it easy to see where we're all at and wanting to stay or progress to as fairly new tankers like myself soak it all in. 

~ Community Pledge Signer ~ [iii] ~ #oldguard

Original M60 Owner! ~ Keeping Guns in the Game!

Str8UpJack #1349 Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15159 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostEire1916, on 12 September 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

Where did I see the instructions for setting up the banner ? 

Sent you PM with help

putnamJavi #1350 Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

View PostStr8UpJack, on 12 September 2014 - 09:37 AM, said:

I don't know... I just saw the tank agains and I'm easily able to penetrate multiple areas of the tank regardless how it's angled to my Panther's Gun.  Personally, I think a lot of people might feel a bit ripped off as their $24 investment gets ripped to shreds on the battlefield.  I don't think it's all that people seem to have built it up to be.  Maybe it's been nerfed from the PC version? 

Having also played the KV-5, I can tell you it depends on the opponent.  Str8, you're a very skilled player who does his HW.  You know exactly where to aim to tear down this tank.  Unless a player researches or reads the Forums, the only other way for them to learn is through experience.  The unfortunate thing is that this tank soaks up damage.  If you're learning through experience it's going to take you a while.  

Last night, I had gone up against another KV-5 and a Ferdi.  I killed the KV-5 after 5 or 6 shots just in time to notice the Ferdi angling to get a shot on me.  I was down to 68 HP so I thought to myself, I'm a goner.   The Ferdi's shot bounced off!  I survived based on the HP alone.  An M10/Panther came along and started lighting up the Ferdi from behind.  As the Ferdi shifted to meet the new threat, I ended up killing it shooting at it's rear hatch.   The key to this thing is that it occupies the enemy long enough for the rest of the team to make a difference.  Even If you turn your back on the KV-5 or bypass it, it's still alive and shooting.  It thrives by being the center of attention.  You can't get around it and its going to take a lot to kill it.  Because of this, very few tanks can go 1 on 1 against it with it's high HP as you found out.  It's designed for attrition warfare.

Edited by putnamJavi, 12 September 2014 - 02:16 PM.

Str8UpJack #1351 Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15159 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostputnamJavi, on 12 September 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

The key to this thing is that it occupies the enemy long enough for the rest of the team to make a difference.  Even If you turn your back on the KV-5 or bypass it, it's still alive and shooting.  It thrives by being the center of attention.  You can't get around it and its going to take a lot to kill it.  Because of this, very few tanks can go 1 on 1 against it with it's high HP as you found out.  It's designed for attrition warfare.

Yes... and I think I will change my opinion of the tank when I meet a tanker that knows what he's doing in it... I just hope I'm on your side when I see you in yours ;)

IT is an undeniable damage sponge

putnamJavi #1352 Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:26 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

View PostGuderian5266, on 12 September 2014 - 09:06 AM, said:

Was it 4? I was enjoying too much, lost count!

Glad you had fun.  I'm pretty positive it was 4.  I think I died 2x and you died 2x.  1 at Mines, 1 at Fort Despair and 2 at Oasis Palms. I kinda felt bad on that last game at Oasis Palms b/c I had asked you to stay back with me as I sniped.  However, we were the only 2 T6 tanks against primarily T8s so I knew we would be cannon fodder if caught in the open.  We'll have to do it again.  :honoring:

Eire1916 #1353 Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19273 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostStr8UpJack, on 13 September 2014 - 03:52 AM, said:

Sent you PM with help

cheers.  I believe I'm up and running. 

_ENO_ #1354 Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles
I do ask that guys centre their banners when they get them. Do everything you did to set it up but either before or after just set the cursor at the very front of the banner (top left corner) and hit the centre justify button. It's 6 in from the right on the bottom row of buttons  and looks like a stack of lines short long short long centered on one another. Click that and it should justify it to the centre. 

Eire1916 #1355 Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 19273 battles
  • [III-Z]
That was easy. Thanks again Eno for the great work. 

LarsGarvey #1356 Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:18 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9049 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostFarmerHarv, on 12 September 2014 - 01:49 AM, said:

Had a quick random game with LarsG tonight (no platoon), he in a T32, and I had the turtle. I missed getting the screenshot, but he had a Tiger II on the run and was chasing it from about 5 feet behind it. Got a laugh out of me that startled the cat, and it made me wish for a replay/record option once again. 

Gotta get on TS yet, would have made that play much more entertaining. :-)

That was such a fun game! And yes, get on TS3, it really does make even the most fun games somehow more fun (and the really terrible games a bit less terrible, as at least you have someone to commiserate with, as opposed to tossing the iPad across the room). I'm pretty sure almost every Triarii on TS3 at the moment has helped keep my iPad alive. :smile:

Speaking of chasing Tigers, is it just me or does the T32 feel a bit faster these days? Usually when I jump from the M103 (which now has a new engine and tracks, so wonderful) to my T29 or T34, I notice a serious drop in speed, and I felt like that was usually the case with the T32, too, but man she's been roaring around (well, you know, for a heavy) in my last few games. Has actually made me really enjoy playing it again. Used to be my least favorite American heavy.

Edited by LarsGarvey, 12 September 2014 - 03:25 PM.

Community Pledge Signer

Current Tank Rotation:

M103 * T32 * T34 * T29 * SU-100Y * T-34

Guderian5266 #1357 Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31803 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostputnamJavi, on 12 September 2014 - 10:26 AM, said:

Glad you had fun.  I'm pretty positive it was 4.  I think I died 2x and you died 2x.  1 at Mines, 1 at Fort Despair and 2 at Oasis Palms. I kinda felt bad on that last game at Oasis Palms b/c I had asked you to stay back with me as I sniped.  However, we were the only 2 T6 tanks against primarily T8s so I knew we would be cannon fodder if caught in the open.  We'll have to do it again.  :honoring:

Actually that exact Oasis spot I parked on is usually my favorite TD spot. So I was cool with sniping. Then when it was time to move I started heading towards the flag and saw you peel off the other way, I started to figure we would need to root out a sniper near their spawn. Just wish he hadn't tracked me so easily. Glad you got him.

Community Pledge Signer

GaryP11111 #1358 Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:31 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19760 battles
  • [III-S]

I pretty much agree with str8upjack's assessment of the KV-5. The T34 can pretty much do whatever the KV can do and yet dish out more damage. The high HP is a factor, though, making the KV a more forgiving tank to drive. With only a whisp of HP left I was able to push another tank down the hill (sideways) on Rockfield into the line of fire of allied tanks while being hammered left and right and I STILL made it back up the hill to dispense a little more carnage. In other games enemy tanks peeled off my HP faster than clothes off of Gypsy Rose Lee.  If you have the T34 and play it successfully my recommendation is to save your $25. 

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

Guderian5266 #1359 Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31803 battles
  • [III-S]

AS Triarii is looking to get more guys up to Tier X, here is my question:

I have a loaded Tier7 T20 medium and will shortly have a Tiger I - stock :(

I think I want to focus on one line now for a while.

Should I work towards a M48 medium first or go towards E100 heavy? I have fun playing

both meds and heavies, but I think my med style still needs work.

Anyone experienced with both lines?

Community Pledge Signer

SineDie9 #1360 Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 24696 battles
  • [III-S]

Had what I thought was an interesting fail platoon experience last night.  It was a VII - IX match and I was next to bottom in a T-29.  And who was the only tank below me?  An MS-1 that was platooned with a Tiger II.

Ok, so here is what was different for me with this particular fail platoon:  the MS-1 followed me around like a little dog the entire game, shooting me in the back.  Why?  Why me?  Who knows.  I just ignored him and he never did cause me any damage.  He must have shot me 30 times.  No exaggeration.  Finally, after about five or six minutes of this, the Tiger II he was platooned with one-shot him and I cracked up.  The Tiger II and I wound up actually winning the game.

Observation 1) He was an idiot and so was the Tiger II for platooning with him.  Maybe it was his kid or something.

Observation 2) He never turned blue.  Why not, I wonder?

Observation 3) I didn't get Steel Wall.  What a rip off!  LOL

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users