Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

GaryP11111 #1361 Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:20 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19760 battles
  • [III-S]
I would have loved to have seen that, SineDie9. I mentioned in another thread that I allowed a less powerful tank get the last kill of the game on an AFK tank. I had three kills, so I stood down and let the little guy (his tank only had double-digit HP left)slowly take out the AFK. He had a hard time penning but eventually got the job done. My reward? He took a few potshots at me as the game was coming to a close. Unfortunately for him he left me with barely enough time to destroy him with one shot just before the screen closed out.

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

LarsGarvey #1362 Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:21 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9049 battles
  • [III-Z]

So, the last few days, I have had the most inconsistent and bizarre games/luck/outcomes—nasty stretches of losses where I kill a few tanks and rank decently in the final standings, then bizarre stretches of wins (usually in games where I didn't do much, so... yeah, nice for the win-loss percentage, but not great for stats), then just amazing games out of nowhere, often when it looked like the deck was stacked against us (and then, of course, more ugly losses).

Still, somehow I grabbed another Kolobanov yesterday, and this happened last night when I was on my way back from a show1:

Didn't even realize it had happened. I was just rushing from SOSing teammate to SOSing teammate, trying to help out as best I could. (And as you can see, they weren't the worst team, they just didn't stick together, and had to put up the good fight alone—well, until I came over, usually right after/right before they blew up.)

(And sorry Str8Up for my semi-incoherent excitement!)

Yes, I am so addicted to Blitz that I was playing it in the backseat of my sister's car as she drove me and one of her friends back from DC. And getting a Raseiniai medal is only fueling this addiction!

Community Pledge Signer

Current Tank Rotation:

M103 * T32 * T34 * T29 * SU-100Y * T-34

GaryP11111 #1363 Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:24 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19760 battles
  • [III-S]
Doing that in a Tier VII tank is a real accomplishment you can be proud of! Great job, Lars!

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

Guderian5266 #1364 Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:39 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31803 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostGaryP11111, on 12 September 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Doing that in a Tier VII tank is a real accomplishment you can be proud of! Great job, Lars!

Actually I was going to say doing that in the backseat of a car on the highway is a real accomplishment!

Makes me want to start a new thread - most interesting place you've been sitting/standing while playing Blitz.

Community Pledge Signer

Str8UpJack #1365 Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15159 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostLarsGarvey, on 12 September 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

So, the last few days, I have had the most inconsistent and bizarre games/luck/outcomes—nasty stretches of losses where I kill a few tanks and rank decently in the final standings, then bizarre stretches of wins (usually in games where I didn't do much, so... yeah, nice for the win-loss percentage, but not great for stats), then just amazing games out of nowhere, often when it looked like the deck was stacked against us (and then, of course, more ugly losses).

Still, somehow I grabbed another Kolobanov yesterday, and this happened last night when I was on my way back from a show1:

Didn't even realize it had happened. I was just rushing from SOSing teammate to SOSing teammate, trying to help out as best I could. (And as you can see, they weren't the worst team, they just didn't stick together, and had to put up the good fight alone—well, until I came over, usually right after/right before they blew up.)

Yes, I am so addicted to Blitz that I was playing it in the backseat of my sister's car as she drove me and one of her friends back from DC. And getting a Raseiniai medal is only fueling this addiction!

Dude, I was reading your texts to the guys on ts and we were all laughing.  That is a hell of a game and too ba Concep's carry hard contest is over.  That game would have stood a real chance at taking a prize!  I'll catch you tonight at some point.  

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

LarsGarvey #1366 Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:00 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9049 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostGaryP11111, on 12 September 2014 - 12:24 PM, said:

Thank you, man. It did feel pretty good to have done it in my trusty old T29. Wasn't sure I could be any more in love with that thing, but she found a way to win my heart all over again.

View PostGuderian5266, on 12 September 2014 - 12:39 PM, said:

Actually I was going to say doing that in the backseat of a car on the highway is a real accomplishment!

Makes me want to start a new thread - most interesting place you've been sitting/standing while playing Blitz.

Thank you. The really weird thing is, two of my best (solo) games ever have been played on my little iPhone in weird places—got a Pool's and Mastery on the T34 waiting at a bar for a friend who got delayed by traffic/lack of parking spots, and got that Raseiniai in the backseat of my sister's car after a show (and a few Bulleit ryes... and bourbon gingers). Definitely a big departure from my usual playing environment: nice comfy chair, relative calm and quiet, iPad, etc.

And I would be curious to know the strange places people play Blitz. Just wondering how long that thread stays PG13, you know? :smile:

View PostStr8UpJack, on 12 September 2014 - 12:51 PM, said:

Dude, I was reading your texts to the guys on ts and we were all laughing.  That is a hell of a game and too ba Concep's carry hard contest is over.  That game would have stood a real chance at taking a prize!  I'll catch you tonight at some point.  

Hahahaa. Glad you and the boys shared in my merriment, even if it was somewhat at my expense. :smile: Not that my typing skills were that great by that point of the night anyways, but definitely not easy to type in a bouncy backseat. And yeah, shame. Maybe there'll be another "Carry So Hard"-like contest one day, though some of those dudes on the EU server are insanely good. Some Finnish kid probably has a medal for killing all seven tanks, reviving them/casting a spell to bring them back from the dead, just to kill them again... and like 26,000 damage (not sure how zombie tank damage would count, though).

Community Pledge Signer

Current Tank Rotation:

tcamp48 #1367 Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 93654 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostLarsGarvey, on 12 September 2014 - 12:21 PM, said:

Right on Lars, excellent stats, especially on the move! :D

I hope to see anyone of you guys this weekend, I'm sure I'll be on quite a bit. My tanks are warming in the garage as we speak. ;)

~ Community Pledge Signer ~ [iii] ~ #oldguard

Original M60 Owner! ~ Keeping Guns in the Game!

Guderian5266 #1368 Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31803 battles
  • [III-S]

View Posttcamp48, on 12 September 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

Right on Lars, excellent stats, especially on the move! :D

I hope to see anyone of you guys this weekend, I'm sure I'll be on quite a bit. My tanks are warming in the garage as we speak. ;)

I have to start adding some more Triarii to my friend list so I can see who is around. I'll look out for you tcamp48.

Community Pledge Signer

warko_1 #1369 Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19587 battles
  • [SRT_]

View PostGuderian5266, on 12 September 2014 - 03:32 PM, said:

AS Triarii is looking to get more guys up to Tier X, here is my question:

I have a loaded Tier7 T20 medium and will shortly have a Tiger I - stock :(

I think I want to focus on one line now for a while.

Should I work towards a M48 medium first or go towards E100 heavy? I have fun playing

both meds and heavies, but I think my med style still needs work.

Anyone experienced with both lines?

If your T20 is far ahead in xp you should, IMO, keep on that line. I've read that the Tiger 1 grind is slow and painfull (it's my next grind too). Grinding two lines at the same time makes it even slower. Purchase the Tiger if you have the extra credits and just use it when it has xp multiplier or when your T20 is still in battle, but try to keep on one line as much as you can.

tcamp48 #1370 Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 93654 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostGuderian5266, on 12 September 2014 - 02:16 PM, said:

I have to start adding some more Triarii to my friend list so I can see who is around. I'll look out for you tcamp48.

Same here my friend, I'll be out there!

rdwillson #1371 Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10760 battles
Wow I am gone for one weekday and find I have 6+ pages to try and catch up on lol. First off welcome all who have joined recently and please don't hesitate on adding me to your friends list. I am currently counting down the hours impatiently waiting for tonight's free time after kids are settled. I also did read some who may have concern over platooning and TS3, I can not reiterate enough to set those concerns aside, as in-depth as our forum does sometimes get this is an outstanding group of old farts that have never hesitated in teaching, and I have yet to hear a single disparaging word about being stuck with my weak play or overly aggressive play style (though I'm sure I can hear the Irish man cursing under his breath between the sips of his nightly pop when he is platooned with me lol (just joking)). Hope to see all tonight on TS3 for a long evening of fun.

Current Tanks T110E5 / T110E3 / T34 / IS-7 / ST-I / T-54 / Ferdi

naktl #1372 Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:23 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles

Had a few good maps with StaightUp, then this is how my day developed.  Didn't really matter which tank I was running.  Majority fit this pattern.  Old story I know.  This is literally three maps in a row, but they are mostly like this for me right now.  Just not good enough to carry.  Pretty sure now you have to be able to carry or turn the map yourself if you want any consistent chance of winning.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

putnamJavi #1373 Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

View Postnaktl, on 12 September 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

Had a few good maps with StaightUp, then this is how my day developed.  Didn't really matter which tank I was running.  Majority fit this pattern.  Old story I know.  This is literally three maps in a row, but they are mostly like this for me right now.  Just not good enough to carry.  Pretty sure now you have to be able to carry or turn the map yourself if you want any consistent chance of winning.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Regardless of the outcome, those are some impressive numbers for dmg output.  Not sure if you've seen the T54 thread but even Concep has been having a bad run due to weak teams.  Better luck tonight.  

LarsGarvey #1374 Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:44 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9049 battles
  • [III-Z]

View Postnaktl, on 12 September 2014 - 04:23 PM, said:

Naktl, those are fantastic scores, and would easily carry most teams. Sadly, you seem to have been stuck with some—how shall I put this?—less talented tankers. On two of those breakdowns, if a few players had got just a few hundred more damage each, looks like you would have carried them to victory.

The one big thing I'd like to see WG do in a future update (before Clan Wars) is expand platoons to three tanks (four would be more than half the team, so I can understand a reluctance to do this). Would be nice to have confidence in a sizable chunk of your team, you know? Because while I think you are more than capable of carrying a team, you can't carry deadweight all the time, and I know that I am just not a superstar player that can consistently carry a game.

Also, as a recently started thread posits, it's a 3x experience weekend, which seems to bring in a lot of super casual tankers.

Community Pledge Signer

Current Tank Rotation:

gffcom #1375 Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

REDACTED

• Players
  • 37950 battles
  • [SRT-]

View PostLarsGarvey, on 12 September 2014 - 09:44 PM, said:

The one big thing I'd like to see WG do in a future update (before Clan Wars) is expand platoons to three tanks (four would be more than half the team, so I can understand a reluctance to do this). Would be nice to have confidence in a sizable chunk of your team, you know? Because while I think you are more than capable of carrying a team, you can't carry deadweight all the time, and I know that I am just not a superstar player that can consistently carry a game.

That would be great if implemented correctly, but would could endanger my iPads physical integrity if my tier-8 3 man platoon frequently gets teamed with 4 random tier 9/10s to face a tier-9/10 3 man platoon matched with random tier 8s.

Edited by gffcom, 12 September 2014 - 09:18 PM.

Xs: IS-7, IS-4, FV215b, T110E5, E100, E50M, Obj 140, T-62A, M48A1 Patton, FV4202, Leopard 1, Obj 268

SPARTA 

Str8UpJack #1376 Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15159 battles
  • [III-P]

Those are some heartbreaking losses, Naktl!  

I think 3 person platoons would be great but highly unlikely as that would seen as totally OP when 3 people team up and are on TS3 wrecking everything on the map.   I think the PC version only allows 3 person platoons and that is 15 people per side!

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

tcamp48 #1377 Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:43 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 93654 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postrdwillson, on 12 September 2014 - 04:20 PM, said:

Wow I am gone for one weekday and find I have 6+ pages to try and catch up on lol. First off welcome all who have joined recently and please don't hesitate on adding me to your friends list. I am currently counting down the hours impatiently waiting for tonight's free time after kids are settled. I also did read some who may have concern over platooning and TS3, I can not reiterate enough to set those concerns aside, as in-depth as our forum does sometimes get this is an outstanding group of old farts that have never hesitated in teaching, and I have yet to hear a single disparaging word about being stuck with my weak play or overly aggressive play style (though I'm sure I can hear the Irish man cursing under his breath between the sips of his nightly pop when he is platooned with me lol (just joking)). Hope to see all tonight on TS3 for a long evening of fun.

Nice to see you RdWillson. Just added you and am also patiently waiting for the hours after my daughter goes to bed. ;) I had a platoon request last night but my iPad2 froze up for some reason and I never got to go forward with it, so possibly tonight after I look at TS3. Hope to see you out there!

IronKnight7 #1378 Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:15 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19149 battles
  • [III-S]
Grinding my T32, man, what a pain.  

Community Pledge Signer

WoT Blitz M3 - M4 - M4A3E8 - T20 - Pershing - M46 - M48A1

WoT Blitz T1 - T2 - M2 - T1 (H) - M6 - T29 - T34 - T32 - M103 - T110E5

1SG US Army (Ret) - M48A5 - M60 - (A1-A2) - M1 - M1A1

Taltos1964 #1379 Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:27 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12291 battles
  • [III-Z]

Hey all!  Short and sweet as I'm burning Blitz time here.

Killer 7 kill game Lars.

Naktl, damn those are great numbers and tough to lose with those but you know where to come find a platoon to help a little and if nothing else, comiserate for a bit on TS3.

I have added some of the new names I see here to my friends list.  If I missed you it was just because there are quite a few. Even if you don't have TS3, send me a chat or a platoon request.  If I'm on, I'm usually in the Gladiator sessions in the evening and weekends but I will gladly run a few platoons even without TS3.

I wonder if I'll ever see tier X?  I am too ADD on my tanks.  I'm running up about 4 lines currently and throwing in a couple others for x2 and x3 bonuses (OK, about 10 others)

Hope to see you on the battlefield cause that's where I'm headed right now!!!!  :playing:

Community Pledge Signer

T110E5, M103, T-54, M46 Patton, Tiger II, Panther II, VK 30.01(P), IS, T-150, Jagdpanther, SU-152, T25 AT

Val_Darrant #1380 Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:37 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 19014 battles
  • [III-R]
If you want to be active in clan wars and get a sense of what it looks like and what vehicles are typically used I suggest you google "wot clan wars"

T110e5 for their versatility are popular as are t62

I do however find that given the team and map sizes the German Med might be more effective in blitz.

Lastly I guess as usual I am in the slow bus minority because when I compare my results with fun level I prefer the kv5 and feel like I got screwed with the T34 prem

"Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts"

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users