Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

yjamesy #161 Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

Private

• Players
  • 17320 battles
  • [III-S]

Completely new FNG to the board, would love to join up with you all.  New to WoT but not necessarily to war gaming.  Sharpened my baby teeth on PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader games to give a sense of my "longevity".

I go by yjamesy in the game.  Will need access to team speak so I will download the app soon.  I'm only Tier 5 but slowly grinding my way up.

Happy hunting 

siouxinpa #162 Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:26 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View Postyjamesy, on 03 August 2014 - 02:54 PM, said:

Completely new FNG to the board, would love to join up with you all.  New to WoT but not necessarily to war gaming.  Sharpened my baby teeth on PanzerBlitz and Panzer Leader games to give a sense of my "longevity".

I go by yjamesy in the game.  Will need access to team speak so I will download the app soon.  I'm only Tier 5 but slowly grinding my way up.

Happy hunting 

Ahhhh Panzer Leader.....great game!!

Tier V is fun, no problems there.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

Darthdug #163 Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:46 PM

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

Played my first 3 battles as a Triarii tonight with Siouxinpa.  I must say TS3 rocks!  I've never seen an  IS3 killed before while I was still alive!  Of course Siouxinpa an his T29 might have had something to do with it!

_ENO_ #164 Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Eh guys... happy monday! welcome to the group o' grumps Darthdug!

Had about a dozen matches with concep last night- tell you what... you want to learn some stuff, hook up with him if you get a chance on TS3 and go for a couple of rounds- he's the perfect dichotomy of intense and laid back... knows the game inside and out, familiar with many, many tanks... has great insights on what consumables to use and what equipment to apply for the most effect over the length of the mission. We pushed through to 11W-1L with our platoon of 2 IS-3s. Not back for a young'un. (lol)

One disadvantage I noticed with combining two similar vehicles is that we were both equally restricted in our speed (while fast for a heavy, slow for a medium) and virtual absence of gun depression.Overall, however, we worked it out. 

An insight on tank performance related to the use of extra rations in tandem with vents in the equipment to boost performance... more spent in credits- but if you look at reloading speed you get the 10% uplift from rations, plus the 5% uplift from the fan... resulting in an increase of 15% throughout the match. Reloading, you get 10% from the rammer, 10% from the rations and 5% from the fan... resulting in a 25% increase in reloading speed- which in a tank with a 15 second reload time can be significant. 

Also wanting to try to use HE rounds a bit more frequently. After looking at the pen rate for the HEAT in the BL9 I discovered it was between 51-85... which opens up side / rear shots of pretty much anything medium or below (in T8). If you actually get that sucker in there- "the consequences will be dire!" 

_ENO_ #165 Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:05 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

One thing I'll add is when you set up your TS3, make sure you use the same username (or at least close to it) in there that you use here- otherwise it may result in you getting kicked / banned or both. 

I've added a [iii] logo at the front of my name... thinking that might be a good "logo" for when the time comes to adopt a brand for the "Triarii" clan. Feel free to do the same or not since we'll be the only one who can see it. [III] might also work... Not going to fuss over it too much obviously but it's out there. 

GaryP11111 #166 Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:09 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18851 battles
  • [III-S]

Fine weekend for taking the tanks out for spin. I enjoyed platooning most of all, though weekend chores and taking care of a sick family member made platooning impossible on Sunday. Still, I played a lot of games and took advantage of the 5 XP to start unlocking the German line of tanks. I also wanted to see if I had learned anything; I hoped that my experience playing the American mediums through tier IX would manifest itself clearly in the lower tiers by dominating those tiers.

O. M. G.  I now understand the joy of clubbing baby seals. Through 123 games in the German tanks I scored my first 7 kill game. Sure it was only in the tier I Leichttraktor, but I didn't accomplish that in tier I when I started WoT:Blitz. Over several days I managed to unlock all the German tanks up to and including the first VK. My favorites have been the Pz.Kmpf. III Ausf. A (which is the closest thing to flying I've experienced in WoT) and the D.W. 2.  I managed to get airborne several times (not necessarily a good thing) in the Pz.Kmpf III before learning to cool my jets. Still a fun tank for flanking and surprising the enemy at their rear. 

My first outing in the D.W. 2 resulted in six kills by playing it the way I've wanted teamies to use their heavies. At the mines, I moved my tank near the mineshaft plateau and watched for the inevitable charge up the mineshaft road. Two enemy tanks screamed up to the mineshaft hill and took sniping positions while I slowly went up after them, took the left lane around and came up behind them as they sniped at my teamies. Two enemy tanks gone. I took their sniping positions and killed two more, slid down the hill and went after two tanks that were coming up the watery lowlands after sniping at the cap base from the opposite ridge. Two more dead. I have yet to have a losing match in the D.W. 2 after a batch of games. All in all, my win percentage in the German tanks is 65% 

I also tried camping in one game. Not for me. Though I killed two tanks the team lost because it matters in the course of seven minutes which tanks are killed and when. But I learned why some players camp. You can feel like you're contributing something with little risk involved. They seem to not realize there is a critical point in most games where even a camping tank could have made a difference and influenced the favorable outcome of the game by actively engaging the enemy at closer quarters. Yet they wait until they're the last tank standing to abandon their station in the hope of Mighty Mousing ("Here I come to save the daaaayyyyyy!") the end. Nope.

I have to give a lot of credit to the lower tier German tanks—I didn't experience anything like this in the American tanks. And some German tanks are a hoot for shooting and scooting. Yet I'm also happy that I appear to be improving given how easy it was to dominate in those tiers compared to how I started out in them weeks ago. But ultimately the real proof will be how I do in the big American mediums in the upper tiers in the weeks to come.

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

_ENO_ #167 Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

View PostGaryP11111, on 04 August 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

My first outing in the D.W. 2 resulted in six kills by playing it the way I've wanted teamies to use their heavies. At the mines, I moved my tank near the mineshaft plateau and watched for the inevitable charge up the mineshaft road. 

This is pretty much the template tactic- at least where I've been playing in VII and VIII... I can never get close enough in an IS or IS3 but what has worked reasonably well is the prediction that 3-4 tanks from both sides are going to go toe to toe in the first 35 seconds or so. At least 1 from both sides always ends up over on the far side across the river... Heading around the base of that mine shaft in either direction is a good stomping ground if you catch the reds near the shaft access from the back while they're distracted... Not a lot of hull down areas available unfortunately- but enough structures to give you decent cover. 

Looked into "reverse sidescraping" starting yesterday and though it looks simple enough- I get all twisted around trying to get into position. I need to go forward but forward is backward and it's very precarious. I wish I could practice it without needing to be in a mission compromising EXP of 6 team mates while I blunder through the process of perfecting RSS. 

With a turret so far forward as it is on the IS3, conventional SS is impractical and extremely limited without exposing a ton of your side at a rather vulnerable angle. RSS allows you the same field of view while still protecting that delicate back end. 

Edited by ENO75, 04 August 2014 - 08:54 PM.

1carburo #168 Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:55 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 58636 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostGaryP11111, on 04 August 2014 - 06:09 PM, said:

Fine weekend for taking the tanks out for spin. I enjoyed platooning most of all, though weekend chores and taking care of a sick family member made platooning impossible on Sunday. Still, I played a lot of games and took advantage of the 5 XP to start unlocking the German line of tanks. I also wanted to see if I had learned anything; I hoped that my experience playing the American mediums through tier IX would manifest itself clearly in the lower tiers by dominating those tiers.

O. M. G.  I now understand the joy of clubbing baby seals. Through 123 games in the German tanks I scored my first 7 kill game. Sure it was only in the tier I Leichttraktor, but I didn't accomplish that in tier I when I started WoT:Blitz. Over several days I managed to unlock all the German tanks up to and including the first VK. My favorites have been the Pz.Kmpf. III Ausf. A (which is the closest thing to flying I've experienced in WoT) and the D.W. 2.  I managed to get airborne several times (not necessarily a good thing) in the Pz.Kmpf III before learning to cool my jets. Still a fun tank for flanking and surprising the enemy at their rear. 

My first outing in the D.W. 2 resulted in six kills by playing it the way I've wanted teamies to use their heavies. At the mines, I moved my tank near the mineshaft plateau and watched for the inevitable charge up the mineshaft road. Two enemy tanks screamed up to the mineshaft hill and took sniping positions while I slowly went up after them, took the left lane around and came up behind them as they sniped at my teamies. Two enemy tanks gone. I took their sniping positions and killed two more, slid down the hill and went after two tanks that were coming up the watery lowlands after sniping at the cap base from the opposite ridge. Two more dead. I have yet to have a losing match in the D.W. 2 after a batch of games. All in all, my win percentage in the German tanks is 65% 

I also tried camping in one game. Not for me. Though I killed two tanks the team lost because it matters in the course of seven minutes which tanks are killed and when. But I learned why some players camp. You can feel like you're contributing something with little risk involved. They seem to not realize there is a critical point in most games where even a camping tank could have made a difference and influenced the favorable outcome of the game by actively engaging the enemy at closer quarters. Yet they wait until they're the last tank standing to abandon their station in the hope of Mighty Mousing ("Here I come to save the daaaayyyyyy!") the end. Nope.

I have to give a lot of credit to the lower tier German tanks—I didn't experience anything like this in the American tanks. And some German tanks are a hoot for shooting and scooting. Yet I'm also happy that I appear to be improving given how easy it was to dominate in those tiers compared to how I started out in them weeks ago. But ultimately the real proof will be how I do in the big American mediums in the upper tiers in the weeks to come.

If you haven't tried the Russian line, give the A-20 a try. Faster than the Pz. III, and with more thrill because as a tier 4 you start seen tier Vs. It also opens the T-34, which is the most entertaining thing to drive if you want fast pace fighting. It's like a paper armored machine gun on tracks, although it bounces a lot of shots if you don't let you oponent aim, which of course you won't.

_ENO_ #169 Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Morning gents... 

Bumped into Carburo last night and joined up with him for a match sans TS3 and I just couldn't do it. TS3 is an absolute game changing experience and since we started using it I can't go back. We paired up and had good intentions but got separated early on and I found it difficult to keep track of him and what was coming down. He couldn't warn me of what was happening around me, and I couldn't do the same. I got owned pretty quickly and stood down afterwards- trying to be as polite as I could about it. So in the future gents- I'm going to restrict my platooning to TS3 only... 

TS3 remains available to all and is highly recommended. Please pm me for the specifics of TS3 and how to get it. 

The HIGHLIGHT of my life in WOT Blitz happened last night while Sioux and I were out on the Mines... A VK of some description- relatively undamaged- came charging down the hill on the east side where Sioux had finished laying waste to someone up in a sniper spot by the red spawn (south side). Sioux had taken some abuse and if memory serves he was down in HP and somewhat vulnerable (I think he was in this state in just about every mission we played lol). So when this guy came running at him at top speed the intentions to ram were pretty obvious. 

I'm stood off a bit, on the other side of the water but still SW corner- and I see this guy screaming down the hill so fast my traverse can barely keep up. He disappears behind a tree on me and I blindly fire one off hoping for the best... Sioux is watching this guy come at him and I think was in the middle of a reload... The round hits and all I see is that "ammo rack" notification and the guy is blown to bits about 1 tank length away from Sioux. I had NOTHING to do with the shot other than the fact that I took it. It's the equivalent of taking a slapshot from behind your own goal line in the last 3 seconds of the game, and putting it in the five hole for the win. 

Anyway- had great fun and much moreso now that I don't need to hear myself talk! 

1carburo #170 Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:46 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 58636 battles
  • [III-C]

Hey ENO. Yes, we failed miserably. It didn't help that I had bad lag that game. I guess once you are used to the voice there is no going back. I see the advantage of TS3 but I don't want to push too far with the komissar. She is game averse, and the image of her idolized husband with a headset screaming "take the west ridge" or "T29 2 o'clock" in front of the ipad will destroy the notion that I'm still a worthy investment. Its wife over tanks for me.

Anyways, for now I'm still available for whoever is OK with a silent platoon mate. I'll monitor the developments and see if I can give TS3 a try, maybe combined with a nice present of something.

_ENO_ #171 Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

If it helps, some guys have been putting on headphones and to be honest the tone is pretty conversational. with that said, I got VERY lucky in that CINC-HOUSE started gaming with me a bit starting with the cooperative Army of Two, then did some flying with me in DCSW and is now (re)loading world of tanks blitz on her ipad2. 

A couple of her accomplishments (Not tank related, I know... but what the heck!): 

This A-10C image covers the front of our 2 car garage- 8'x13'

And she also managed to secure a few other commissions that you can see here: 

http://tamlinsky.dev...s-and-Sailboats

I'd be interested to see her paint a tank, actually... she's looked at the Apache as well- next thing on the board, however? 

F-14 Tomcat, of course! 

siouxinpa #172 Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles
I feel the NEED!! THE NEED FOR SPEED!!!

_ENO_ #173 Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

The image she's doing was captured during the movie "The Final Countdown" during the A6M sequence... if you recall. Not the one below exactly but very, very close to it.

Again, more old guy related than Blitz related. 

Edited by ENO75, 05 August 2014 - 03:16 PM.

siouxinpa #174 Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:20 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View Post1carburo, on 05 August 2014 - 10:46 AM, said:

Hey ENO. Yes, we failed miserably. It didn't help that I had bad lag that game. I guess once you are used to the voice there is no going back. I see the advantage of TS3 but I don't want to push too far with the komissar. She is game averse, and the image of her idolized husband with a headset screaming "take the west ridge" or "T29 2 o'clock" in front of the ipad will destroy the notion that I'm still a worthy investment. Its wife over tanks for me.

Anyways, for now I'm still available for whoever is OK with a silent platoon mate. I'll monitor the developments and see if I can give TS3 a try, maybe combined with a nice present of something.

Carb, I use wired cell phone earbuds with a mic. I'm sure you could use a Bluetooth headset as well. Sounds like I'm talking nonsense into the phone, which tbh most women think we do normally. And there is enough 'real' chat, about life, sports, etc, that it masks the 'I'm going around his right side, pop out to give him something to look at.'

DrWylde #175 Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

I've been following this thread for a couple of days now... and think it is GREAT!  Thanks much for the effort ENO75.

IS-7, IS-4, IS-8, ST-I, IS-3, IS-6, KV-4

Obj. 268, Obj. 704, ISU-152

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

_ENO_ #176 Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Welcome aboard DrW! Glad you finally chimed in!

One thing I've noticed, without a doubt, is that the platoon function in tandem with TS3 has allowed for a little over-commitment. I remember yesterday I went chasing after someone and should have known better. Was very focused on him- and I asked Sioux to watch out for me since I was head down after that guy. It was great because while I'm essentially funnel visioned on this guy, he was constantly feeding me information about my surroundings so I could measure risk. He had some guys distracted while I chased my tail- helped in my longevity. 

And sometimes that doesn't work... I'm pretty sure someone planted IEDs in a couple of missions since both of us were getting trashed wholesale throughout our first few missions. Like you said DrWylde... sometimes you just need to get dialed in and some days it's just not there. Too impatient, in too much of a hurry... no J. 

How was your transition from the IS3 to the 8? I'm hearing that the 8 isn't as dominant in 9 as the 3 is in 8... how did you find it? I'm within a day or two of having enough put together for an 8, that's why I ask.  

_Whiplash #177 Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5789 battles

View PostDrWylde, on 05 August 2014 - 06:37 PM, said:

I've been following this thread for a couple of days now... and think it is GREAT!  Thanks much for the effort ENO75.

Well, guess it's time to come clean - I'm 63, seen others my age herein, and love Blitz.  I'm retired CS having worked in

Silicon Valley for about 30 years at such as Apple, Sun Micro, and a host of startups - what used to be called a "kernel hacker"

for most of the time - UNIX, Linux, etc.  Now I have a lot of time to play Blitz.  Prior to Blitz, I spent a lot of time on Tank Domination

which seems to be in the process of self-destructing, by it's own hand.  Sad really.  I like to think I'm an average to better player,

but that depends upon the day - some I'm hot, some I'm not.  The reflexes and eyesight can be a real problem... especially

when playing peek-a-boo with some young hotshot.  I try to use tactics over reflexes... ENO and others comments here

are just great.  I do have a tendency to fight an aggressive game with a bad habit of over-committing... used to work

well in TD, but not so much in Blitz.  I'm working on it and my scores are improving, fast.

I'm going to setup TS3 and begin getting used to it.  If you'd like, I'd welcome the opportunity to platoon with you.

As for the Triarii Clan, please accept my application to join a great group of like-minded tankers!  Hanger has

T29, T20, IS, IS-3, IS-8, IS-7, and now working the Russian mediums with the T-44. 

Cheers.

Ah! One of my favorite Blitz players!

I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one who's up to the task.

siouxinpa #178 Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

Don't forget the last game when we split the 7 kills between us.

We had perfect lateral spacing and our reload cycles were synced. We rolled up the enemies rear area shooting at targets near simultaneously, causing many wthmoments to our enemies as they just see us appear right before they die in glorious fiery fury. 

We were 2 - 5 down as we began the reaping of our spread out enemies, within 45 seconds we had won 7 - 5.

DrWylde #179 Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

Thanks ENO, you're hearty welcome is greatly appreciated.  Let's roll!

I found my IS to be a killer and my IS-3 to be even better... love those tanks.

The IS-8 begins the transition in the Russian heavies to better armor and

less maneuverability with somewhat better guns.  It still moves well, but

not like the beloved IS-3... takes a little getting used to.  At Tier-9 and

10, the IS-8 is deadly, but not dominate.  I'd say the T-54 is the king

of pure Tier-9 matches, so long as no E100s are tossed into the

mix.  Hate those rolling bank vaults!

Speaking of getting used to... my IS-7 is still the poor stepchild of my

hanger.  It has great armor and gun, but due to the reduced agility, the

damn T-62As and somewhat T-54s drive me nuts.  I've finally found the

weak spots on those German beasts and are beginning to be effective...

but not much.  I see some who are very effective with the IS-7.

I've started up the Russian mediums, as said, and can say

without a doubt... these are my tanks of  choice now.  My

style of play and tactics are all better suited to mediums -

I'm a hard core flanker and need to be able to MOVE!

Anyway, hope that answers your question... cheers!

IS-7, IS-4, IS-8, ST-I, IS-3, IS-6, KV-4

Obj. 268, Obj. 704, ISU-152

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

_ENO_ #180 Posted 05 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles
That was a brilliant night... I have a hard time even playing SP anymore. 

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users