Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

ENO75 #21 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles
I am most absolutely talking about that one. 

concep #22 Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:11 AM

Stop Tunneling Me

• Players
  • 26008 battles
  • [PRAMO]

View PostENO75, on 27 July 2014 - 11:05 PM, said:

Also, concep- good analogy on that transition as you get into higher tiers- that's exactly what I've noticed lately as I work a 7 (IS). I enjoy the sweep to the rear to hunt down long visioned snipers but admit that I've read a lot of material lately suggesting the IS is more of a brawler and that I should be in closer. Thing is I have a 20+ second reload so I don't think it applies to my gun. If I get into the 100mm or drop down to an 85... maybe- but with the big gun I tend to hunt down snipers.

The 122 is a better gun once you get the 2nd turret. I have the 100mm already from playing the Russian mediums so I'll be using that until the 2nd turret and I can get my 122 back.

Tier Xs (in order of unlocking): T110E5, M48 Patton, T-62A, IS-7, E50M, IS-4, FV4202, T110E3, FV215b, Obj. 268, T110E4, Leopard 1, Obj. 140, STB-1, Obj. 263, T57 Heavy, AMX 50B

Most played tank: T-62A (3,000 battles)

Favorite Quotes                       #BACKFROMTHEGRAVE                                   YouTube Channel!

GaryP11111 #23 Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:13 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4228 battles

View PostENO75, on 28 July 2014 - 04:52 AM, said:

I think we all sort of start off "wanting" to go Ch'i since that lends itself to taking less damage overall and inflicting maximum on unsuspecting enemies (and lowers the chances of anyone doing something silly / stupid / noob / etc)... however the transition from Ch'i to Cheng is an uncomfortable one if you don't have the fortitude to withdraw and "harass" when the opportunity presents itself. 

Another one of my ABSOLUTE favourite quotes- (and please feel free to add your own to the thread) is "Be prepared to seize opportunity- do not attempt to create it." This is another from Sun Tzu- though I think it has since been repeated by a number of different people. This mentality again emphasizes the ability to remain flexible and to adapt to the situation instead of being blinded by one objective. 

Which is akin to Sun Tzu's "Military tactics are like unto water, for water in its natural course runs away from high places and hastens downwards. So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak. Water shapes its course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing. Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions. He who can modify his tactics in relation to his opponent and thereby succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain."

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

smokyone2 #24 Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:43 AM

Private

• Players
  • 1517 battles
Great thread guys. I'm 44. I have been playing the teams that get dealt and have not platooned. Every once on a while I get a team who gets it and we dominate. Most of the time it's every man for himself and anyone organized picks us apart. Can someone explain the platoon? I'm not sure of my level (3) but  my current go to tank is a T29

twosp2 #25 Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:10 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3890 battles
  • [III]

This is a fantastic thread! I am 36 and share a lot of the same ideas as everyone else on this thread. I would love to join a mature group of like minded individuals. It would be fun to talk strategies and game.  I love war games and movies as well as studying it.                                                                                                                                       I believe I am a pretty decent player and would be happy to talk strategies and tactics and play and help where I can.

Thanks for starting this thread!

Proud community pledge signer

Current Top Tanks: E100, T110E5, T-62A, ST-I, IS-3

naktl #26 Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles
  • [III]

View Postsmokyone2, on 28 July 2014 - 05:43 AM, said:

Great thread guys. I'm 44. I have been playing the teams that get dealt and have not platooned. Every once on a while I get a team who gets it and we dominate. Most of the time it's every man for himself and anyone organized picks us apart. Can someone explain the platoon? I'm not sure of my level (3) but  my current go to tank is a T29

You Friend someone and then form a Platoon.  Button upper right chat window I think?  Once formed it gives you a window for tank selection and a ready button for each player.  Platoons can only be two players in Blitz.  Once you have picked matching tanks you press ready and whoever formed the platoon presses Battle.  There are a bunch of good combos for tanks I think.  I have not Platooned  a lot, but have been lucky to have a couple of good players (much better than me) ask.  If you actually then play as a team it is a huge advantage.  I see a lot of platoons that don't actually team for some reason, but if you do the game is much more enjoyable, for me at least.  I was Platooning with one guy for a while where we did a very short after action review in chat, particularly if it all went horribly wrong.

Tanks within a tier are probably best, but you can put any two tanks together, which is why you sometimes see T1 tanks in T8+ matches.  Almost any T7 works well with the T29 I think.

Sometimes though I just need to grind some stock turd of a tank (coughferdinandcough) and though a platoon might help, it is not great from my pint of view.  Two stock tanks can be even worse.  A stock and an upgraded tank can help the grind for the stock tank, but isn't always as much fun.  I have kept a couple of tanks elite in case I want to help with someone's leveling a stock tank or something.

Sniping has not been great for me in platoons, though I really like sniping.  It could work since you need targets and could partner with a scout, but your ability to bail them out or them to help you is limited.  Because Blitz is so fast I have found sniping better solo.  

That said, a TD and a heavy can be great, particularly with the zippy T7 TDs.  Those zippy t7 TDs can keep up with a Medium as well, which is fun.  Wolf pack style Mediums are also incredibly fun.  For me when they go wrong though, they go very wrong, but still fun.  Two heavies platooning can dominate a map.  I have seen some TD platoons, but never done that.

ENO75 #27 Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

I never did mention that I am 39... but there it is. Still a little up there, but very much down in the trenches enjoying the heck out of this game. If you haven't already been over to Integrity's thread and the pledge to the forum... if this Triarii Clan ever lifts off then signing on there may be the only rule. Well, besides being old and grumpy...

For people who have never been involved with forums before, it's not that big a deal... Come in... talk to strangers... who gives an ish about anyone since you'll never meet. But for those who understand the importance for a strong community- what he says there demonstrates wisdom that is not necessarily beyond his years- but more beyond our years. We're working within a paradigm that many who are 30+ are unfamiliar... In this thread I see a couple of 40+ who know the drill and one 50+ but overall guys will come in here with a severe lack of appreciation for what the forum provides. Many of those who aren't yet out of their teens (and some who have not yet reached them) have grown up with forums, understand its crepuscular politics and maneuver in a fashion that seems awkward- (and is awkward, I can't stand THAT high up on the soapbox). We need to abide by its politics- while staying an expected level above the potential decay. I've dog piled on a few threads with my own little sniper comments- I needn't be reminded... however with that pledge I am making a commitment to not be a part of the problem. A moist towelette across my keyboard if you will.

Earlier in the thread there was some mention of starting the Triarii Clan. I'm standing here in my kitchen typing on my computer at 1am and am downright excited at the proposition. I think we can scrape up the means to make that happen very easily... To start- perhaps just an opportunity to platoon together in small groups and gradually migrating to larger scale combat against other younger, less organized and genetically inferior creatures we know as either tweens or teens. (Kidding guys- put the flamethrower away). 

I got a note from Sioux earlier about whether we should merge our ideas into one... sounds like he had some interest on his side and though I'm very aware of what I said earlier about merging our initiatives... maybe there is enough interest for both? 

I think the poll needs to be its own thread and I'm not sure I'm into that right now-  but with a show of virtual hands- folks interested in putting together a generally casual 30+ clan, motivated by the 3rd echelon "senior" legionnaires... the Triarii- please do so below.  

Edited by ENO75, 28 July 2014 - 07:23 AM.

ENO75 #28 Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:27 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

View PostGaryP11111, on 28 July 2014 - 05:13 AM, said:

Which is akin to Sun Tzu's "Military tactics are like unto water, for water in its natural course runs away from high places and hastens downwards. So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak. Water shapes its course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing. Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions. He who can modify his tactics in relation to his opponent and thereby succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain."

What can I say- the guy was a master! And yes, I agree 100% that is exactly what we're talking about. However, in a very early chapter he also describes the integral role of proper communication and coordination. That's the missing link to fluid movement right now...

I am in the process of "translating" some of this scripture to apply to the fire service. More of a personal project than anything else but I've always seen an opportunity to apply almost all of these specific points into emergency response. Granted, there are a few captions that involve writing off personnel in a fashion becoming wartime- so those need to be amended somewhat... but overall these concepts can be applied to war as much as they can be applied to business or- in my case- the fire service. 

Edited by ENO75, 28 July 2014 - 07:33 AM.

Panbun #29 Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:42 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7801 battles
  • [PBKAC]
Glad to see so many 'old timers' as part of the Blitz community. Best of luck to all of you and I look forward to fighting against or alongside you! :honoring:

ENO75 #30 Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Okay guys. I'm about to get impolite and unprofessional. I believe they call it rage quitting- I totally just did that in game. Mind you No announcement, no declaration of uninstalling the game, no wth?!- I just left. But seriously:

What at is the secret behind defeating the T29???

Integrity125 #31 Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:54 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 2938 battles

View PostENO75, on 28 July 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

Okay guys. I'm about to get impolite and unprofessional. I believe they call it rage quitting- I totally just did that in game. Mind you No announcement, no declaration of uninstalling the game, no wth?!- I just left. But seriously:

You shoot it's sides and rear. Easier said than done. When the tank is hull down I usually wait for a partner to show up (teamwork is essential, it gives the enemy someone else to shoot at–Murphy's law) and wait for the T-29 to turn its turret to engage my teammate. Then I'll shoot the turret's side or rear armor.

Class II Closed Beta Tester

Community Pledge Signer

Tier Xs: IS-7. I know I know. I'm working on getting more.

"The object of a fight is not to win. It is to give your opponent no choice but to lose."

Str8UpJack #32 Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 14499 battles
  • [III-C]
You need a big gun and APCR rounds if you want to have a chance without trying to get around.   Enter sniping mode if the opposing t29 is hull down cause you will have carefully place your shells in the cupola.   You need a gun that can pen also so...   This advice is how my t29 is able to take on another t29 and come out on top.

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack - Wargaming has screwed over the veteran and paying players of BLITZ.. they are now offering Supertester status, Victory is back up for sale, deep gold discounts for bypassing timers... all these are designed to break the player's will to keep their wallet closed.. There will be more such offers all designed to continue to wear down the conviction of players.  Don't let anyone tell you sticking to your guns and not spending won't work... it will if you hold your ground.

twosp2 #33 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3890 battles
  • [III]

Consider my virtual hand raised for starting the clan Triarii. This sounds fantastic and I for one would be excited about this. If anyone ever wants to platoon and sees me in game in the meantime let me know I would be happy to play!

Callsign: twosp2

Proud community pledge signer

Current Top Tanks: E100, T110E5, T-62A, ST-I, IS-3

GaryP11111 #34 Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:06 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4228 battles

View PostENO75, on 28 July 

I think the poll needs to be its own thread and I'm not sure I'm into that right now-  but with a show of virtual hands- folks interested in putting together a generally casual 30+ clan, motivated by the 3rd echelon "senior" legionnaires... the Triarii- please do so below.  

Count me in for the Triarri clan.  

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

1carburo #35 Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 45363 battles
  • [III]

I'm glad I found this one. So far the genetically inferior have been trouncing me badly, but it's always the team's fault.

I'm adding a few of you to my contacts list if you don't mind. I have platooned a couple of times and it makes the game much more enjoyable.

siouxinpa #36 Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:40 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View PostENO75, on 28 July 2014 - 04:54 AM, said:

If you can't flank, shoot his coincidence rangefinder (the 'ears' of the turret). Or track the bleep out of me...I mean him.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

alpoc #37 Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5278 battles

And I thought I was the only old fart playing! (I'm 44).

Great thread, see y'all on the battlefield, feel free to add me to your contacts.

Alpoc

naktl #38 Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles
  • [III]

View PostENO75, on 28 July 2014 - 09:54 AM, said:

It depends of course.  I think the real answer is teamwork.  I am new to the game.  I have played all the tanks up to T7-8.  Combined with my lack of skill and nubiosity this results in fairly terrible stats.  Taking that into account this is what I have observed.

The T29 is hull down with only the turret exposed.  It depends on what you are driving of course, but gold ammo is not needed.  I have had more luck shooting the cupola hatch than the "ears".  If the T29 is hull down it's not going anywhere soon so take time with your shots.  It depends on how you are situated, but probably you want the peak of the snipe reticle just below the hatch.  Also consider switching to HE.  Though this may not damage them it will mess with them and they may decide to to move.  In either case you may not kill them, but mostly you want to dislodge them first anyway.  If they are receiving damage they may get confused and try to relocate, which you want since the process will probably open new targets on the tank.

Of course position makes all the difference.  The T29 goes hull down.  If you can get any elevation at all, even if you cannot expose their front armor you can shoot down onto the hatch more easily.  Of course this is not always possible.  Also, a skilled T29 driver will "wiggle" the turret during reload to make it harder to target the hatch and such.  This also means that even if you are doing no damage, but keeping the T29 spotted you are helping by making it an available target to teammates in other locations.  (People say that the ringed hatch on the T28 is not vulnerable, but I have not found this to be true, meaning that a similar strategy work there as well.)

(One reason I do not like gold ammo is that in many cases it seems you can load it and then just ignore all this to some extent, e.g. the skill involved in the game and knowing different tanks is just negated and you are effectively in "pay to win" mode.  I have not played with APCR so I don't know how severe this is.  If you watch incoming shots you can see where they are targeting.  For instance, in the T28 you can see the shots to the hatch come in up and to the right from a facing opponent.  You should expect those to do damage.  From most lower tier guns you should expect a lot of bounced shots.  When a lower tier tank is suddenly consistently penning your front for high damage they have almost certainly loaded APCR I think.  They are probably just carrying some around in case they meet you.  Smart, but I don't like it.  I have also noticed mediums loading APCR.  Again, they no longer really have to worry much about maneuvering or position in the same way.  Gold over skill.  I am sure if I were more skilled I would not care at all.)

If the T29 is facing you, but not hull down.  There are two things to do.  Many T29 drivers bounce so often that they don't seem to attend to angling their armor.  This makes the lower glacis and the thin frontal angle both vulnerable.  Secondarily, track the T29.  Since the best way to get at those juicy HP is to flank, track the tank and keep it tracked.  You may not do much damage, but this makes it vulnerable to flanking from team mates (optimistic I know, but greed often motivates positive behavior in this case).

Tracking:  firing straight on you want to fire straight down the tread, rather than at an angle.  This will give you the best chance of tracking.  Make them use their repair kit.  You probably won't do much damage.  HE is not necessary, but may help.  From an angle or the sides it is really possible to both track and do damage.  You can get at the engine on many tanks this way too.  The front and back wheels are the most vulnerable for tracking itself, but all that space between the wheels and side apron can also be vulnerable on many tanks.  The Pershing is a good example, but often works on the T29.  You are taking a risk that you might not do damage, but have a high chance of immobilizing them.

Carouseling:  it depends on what they have researched on the tank and the driver, but it can be hard to effectively circle a T29.  A good diver can keep up with many mediums.  If the are not rotating the tank as well as the turret or someone is tracking them, then you are good to go.  Ride the painted pony, let the spinning wheel spin.  

P.S.  If Triarri is a combo of geezers and casual I suggest we have a GOML (Get Off My Lawn!) Division.

Triarri: GOML

ENO75 #39 Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

From the initial response to the formation of the Triarii Clan, I see (edited to include later additions): 

ENO75

Naktl

GaryP

Twosp2

Smokyone2

1carburo

Eire1916

Denlives

Spekulatius

Str8UpJack

(And a few people who look like they would be interested but didn't see the request for a virtual show of hands at the end of one of my rambling posts)

Keep the names coming and if we can't sort something out on our own we'll dogpile on Sioux's casual clan.

Edited by ENO75, 30 July 2014 - 02:43 PM.

smokyone2 #40 Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

Private

• Players
  • 1517 battles
Count me in!

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users