Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

_Whiplash #201 Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:28 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5789 battles

View PostDrWylde, on 06 August 2014 - 01:19 AM, said:

Hey Whip, I'd have a hard time keeping up with you in a platoon... you're fast and scary good.

Don't you have enough time with me?  I mean with your gun barrel stuck in my (engine)...  big grin.

That night was a little intense I might add. I will also say (I hope you don't mind) that I mentioned you in my thread. There was a young lad who is majoring on computer science. So it was only inevitable that I mentioned you :). As to the second part of your response, I'm not sure if I follow or even if it was intended for me. 

I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one who's up to the task.

DrWylde #202 Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

Funny Eno how I seem to only remember the embarrassing times:

Once at Dead Rail I decided to follow MorganFreemanKILLEDU

in his E100.  I was in my IS-7 and got too close by mistake trying

to take a shot in a narrow passage... ended up blocking him from

moving back when he needed it and got us both killed.  I still cringe

when I think about it.  I will never to that again! 

The good memories are with other players platooning and we

kicked some serious butt - those are the great memories.

How about the rest of you adults - any good stories?

IS-7, IS-4, IS-8, ST-I, IS-3, IS-6, KV-4

Obj. 268, Obj. 704, ISU-152

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

_ENO_ #203 Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:49 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles
I feel like I have an awesome moment every time I play- not every match but every evening session. 

Str8UpJack #204 Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:17 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
  • [III-P]

Yeah.. so not only is Teamspeak helpful for strategy and additional situational awareness but it's also quite entertaining once a few of us have had a few adult beverages...  teamed up with Sioux tonight for a bunch of games and got to talk to naktl and Twosp2.  I know I disappointed Sioux a little since my liquor cabinet is actually out of Jack Daniels but I will rectify that situation on the way home from work tomorrow... I again disappointed him by drinking Coors as a substitute...  not sure what beer he was drinking ... but he was drinking ;)   We had a blast though and probably only broke even on the w/l ratio for the evening... had several games where our teams just melted and it was us vs the entire enemy team... it mostly ended ugly but we laughed the entire way.  Had several games where I was being instructed to "spin", "no, the other way"... "pivot spin", "not that way"... "what are you doing"... "you're gonna die"... good times, good times ;)   Especially when Sioux got up ahead of me and poked the hornets nest a few times... Lost several hours tonight and didn't realize they had passed me by so quickly.. this game is going to consume many, many hours of my life... 

Peace you old farts

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

_ENO_ #205 Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:15 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Oh yeah- I was getting a good helping of "do this... No- that! What are you doing?! The OTHER that! (Deep sigh)" -enter sound of beer opening- hehehe. All in good fun for sure. 

Then I would promptly and efficiently die as he had predicted while I tried to sort out out my iPad screen and my butt to try to figure out which one I had my thumb on / in. 

I havent yet partaken in libations since we started platooning but I'm looking forward to a little drinkin and plinkin with you in the near future. 

Drinking and driving? No good. Drinking and grinding? Well, now we're talking!

Lephturn #206 Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22304 battles
  • [III-S]

Drinkin' and plinkin' sounds like a plan.

I have some grinding to do anyway to get high enough tier tanks to really platoon with you guys, but I'm working on it.  On the rare occasion that I actually have time to myself I will fire up TS3, but that's pretty rare. So - what tier tanks do i need to platoon up?

No offense taken if folks want to platoon only with others on TS3 - I get it. I'm sure there will be a few of us who can platoon up who can't really do TS3 much. I can't always focus - so sometimes I may be online but not able to focus to the level I would require to platoon. As old guys, I know you all get it. :)

Edited by Lephturn, 06 August 2014 - 01:57 PM.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

Str8UpJack #207 Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
  • [III-P]
For the record, I'll platoon with anyone but I do jump onto team speak before a longer gaming session and look to platoon with another member using team speak.

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

DrWylde #208 Posted 06 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]
Hey Triarii, aren't those graphic signatures sort'a nice?  Anyone interested in having Russian_Boss do a couple for our clan to select?  If we can come up with some ideas here, I'll foot the bill for three prototypes.  So many ideas come to mind, I'm overwhelmed...

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

putnamJavi #209 Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:48 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

Yeah I've been wondering about the sigs.  They're pretty high speed, low drag if you ask me.  

_ENO_ #210 Posted 06 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

I wouldn't mind trying to do one first before we outsource it. Leave that thought with me for a few days and I'll see how it works out. 

Feel free red to put some thoughts on what you want- kind of a brainstorming session. 

DrWylde #211 Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

You got it Eno - I'll take whatever you come up with.  That task should be with Fearless Leader anyway...

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

siouxinpa #212 Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles
Yes I had a couple too many adult beverages last night, lol.  And the pivot is best way to defeat the carousel of doom. My favorite moment in the game so far was pivoting in my T29 in the desert sands watching a Pershing try to carousel me as I hit him over and over again. After he died, he began the HAXOR speech because no heavy should be able to keep up with him as he's circling....good times.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

_ENO_ #213 Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:45 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

I want to have a bold banner signature with good contrasts and a good quality image- don't need a bunch of pictures and stuff... but I'll try to find some logo I can bastardize. 

One of the fundraising things I was doing on the Firehouse Server lounge over at simhq was a "Rescue Ink" promotion... didn't quite get it off the ground but the idea was that anyone on the firehouse server who donated any amount to rescue ink would get a marking they could put on their aircraft that others could see. Hiccup in the initiative is in that interface, you need to have the file in order to see it... so it didn't quite work the way I wanted. 

Anyway- this is what it looked like. Simple, but neat if you know what the dog looks like originally. 

Attached Files

• Attached File   full-29631-82597-rescue_dalmation_firehouse.jpg   62.45K

Edited by ENO75, 06 August 2014 - 07:46 PM.

N2rock #214 Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:58 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4768 battles

Hey you bunch of old farts! Another old guy here- I'm 49... I just started playing a couple weeks ago when Str8UpJack introduced me to the game. I've become addicted to it since then. Currently only working a single line - American TD, and I'm up to the Wolverine.

Feel free to add me if you want- although, fair warning I'm still very much a noob at this game.

Unfortunately I can't use TS. When I'm playing, my wife is sitting on the couch next to me watching TV. She doesn't mind me playing, but if I start yacking on TS at the same time... well... I might just end up sleeping in the doghouse :wacko:

DrWylde #215 Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

Hey Sioux, the nice thing about sipping and driving a tank... doesn't really matter when you run into things - do have a problem with aiming after a bit. The pivot and turret rotation on the T29 is just fantastic.  Always a surprise to the higher tiers when they forget about their tier 7 days.  I still drive mine often.

And Eno, your idea for a bold banner signature with good contrasts and a good quality image is great.  I can't wait to see what you come up with.  No pressure now - it may take you several times to get one that works really well.   Just let us peek at how it's coming along and we can help.  Constructively, of course.   Being creative with a bunch of old farts looking over your shoulder could be interesting, to say the least.  Anyway, good luck and take your time... we are not going anywhere.

Edited by DrWylde, 06 August 2014 - 09:55 PM.

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

GaryP11111 #216 Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18851 battles
  • [III-S]
I don't drink while playing; I have enough coordination issues playing the game as it is. However I do partake afterward, usually a good Kentucky bourbon to soften the fall of tears as I contemplate the smoking wreckage of my tank after having my butt handed to me by a twelve-year-old who likely drove his IS-3 while texting his buddy about Guardians of the Galaxy, simultaneously reading the latest issue of The Walking Dead and eating a blueberry pop tart.

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

_ENO_ #217 Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Sounds good Doc... I got a template that is fit to the appropriate size (468 x 100 pixels L x W) so I'm working within appropriate parameters. I do like the square edge on one side and round on the other similar to the WG guys. I think a few people have that format. I thought having a shield on the round side with "something" reflecting the iii in the name template we've considered (ie: [iii]ENO ) across the front. 

I kind of like the thought of a tank facing forward with its turret rotated 90 degrees so the barrel of the gun sticks across almost the length of the banner but not sure how to make it work. 

I'll post my progress as I make any- right now it just looks like a black rectangle with the World of Tanks Blitz logo on it. 

I went in today for a couple of solo missions and had my head ripped off and shoved down my neck and into a substernal netherregion that shall remain nameless for fear of offending anyone. I'll blame lag this time, but later tonight... with a platoon... no excuses. 

Edited by ENO75, 06 August 2014 - 11:20 PM.

_ENO_ #218 Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:25 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Shoot and scoot tactics. 

Worked the bridge on The Falls recently (bottom half of the map I think it is) and something I found that worked pretty well was a staged retreat. We know a bunch of dudes are going to rush to the bridge for no other reason whatsoever than to flank guard- in a few matches you're looking at the major push across the bridge. 

If you're outnumbered at the bridge get a few rounds in then retreat to the next stronghold... what I've found in my last couple matches was that the enemy expects you to retreat to CAP... so they move right along without considering that you've found some hulled down position in the next series of hills / structures. I was eating broadsides all day long. 

Reverse Sidescraping with the IS3 works well for this maneuver since you're already in a great position to tactically advance to the rear- still trying to master it so if you see me out there I'm still all thumbs, literally. Getting better though since when you're reversed into position you have to remember everything is backwards from what you're used to. Once you get used to that, things smooth out a bit and in some cases are downright efficient. 

Then I got mass aped by an IS3 and a tiger 2... still need to know when you're being overrun and DD out of there. Don't be too proud to live to continue the fight elsewhere.

_Whiplash #219 Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:18 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5789 battles

View PostGaryP11111, on 06 August 2014 - 11:33 PM, said:

I don't drink while playing; I have enough coordination issues playing the game as it is. However I do partake afterward, usually a good Kentucky bourbon to soften the fall of tears as I contemplate the smoking wreckage of my tank after having my butt handed to me by a twelve-year-old who likely drove his IS-3 while texting his buddy about Guardians of the Galaxy, simultaneously reading the latest issue of The Walking Dead and eating a blueberry pop tart.

I laughed so hard while reading this, haha,  Nice one.

I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one who's up to the task.

microcarnage #220 Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:30 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38777 battles
Pretty new to WoT but I would like to join the old guys group.  I've never platooned with anyone but would like the change to the randomness of the battle now.  I'm currently running an Easy8 fully loaded on the last leg to either the T20 or Jackson.  Still haven't decided on which one yet.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users