Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

putnamJavi #2201 Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

As I was stuck in traffic yesterday I had the brilliant idea for a new WOTB commercial.  The idea was brought about by Lars once mentioning a great game he had in one of his tanks while in his sister's car.  I began to daydream about getting into a tank and crushing my way through the traffic jam as the people all ran out of their cars upon the sound of metal underneath the treads. The scene is set with a lady in headphones playing WOTB on her phone oblivious to the chaos around her.  As the traffic jam is 2 way, on the opposing side a young kid is also playing WOTB.  The lady's tank, a T32 pulls up ready for battle against the kids Tiger II crashing out of the woods on his side.  

Wargaming if you see this and use my idea I demand a 5% royalty fee.  

Radarralph #2202 Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:45 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 28031 battles
  • [III-S]
Taltos  I feel your pain every time I put a new gun on a tank I forget you have to buy the amo befor going to battle I gues I have dont at half a dozen times and runn around locating tanks till I die.  Once I was able to ram a tank in CAP on Rock Field and do him in with the ram but I keep making that mistake.

Community Pledge Signer

Guderian5266 #2203 Posted 08 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 24771 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostputnamJavi, on 08 October 2014 - 09:31 AM, said:

No, the ROF for the SU-100 gets faster as you research the better guns.  The SU-152 also gives you extremely fast ROF.  

I am using the 122mm for the big alpha damage. But its ROF is 3.62 in the SU-100.  Slow compared to 6.03 on the 100mm gun.

Community Pledge Signer

putnamJavi #2204 Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:01 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

View PostGuderian5266, on 08 October 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

I am using the 122mm for the big alpha damage. But its ROF is 3.62 in the SU-100.  Slow compared to 6.03 on the 100mm gun.

Ok sorry, I last played the SU-100 last week.  You're right in that it's a change from the 100mm.  However in the SU-152 the ROF improves with it's top gun to almost double from 4.69 now to 8.11 (Rounds/Min) 

Guderian5266 #2205 Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 24771 battles
  • [III-S]
I already almost have the XP to go to SU-152 (get out of tier6), but credits are sorely lacking. Another free Premium weekend would be nice! (Too cheap to buy more gold)

Community Pledge Signer

putnamJavi #2206 Posted 08 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles
Don't spend Gold to convert to Silver.  You need to buy yourself a premium for the credit grinding alone if you don't already have one.  It makes a huge difference.  

Taltos1964 #2207 Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:27 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12255 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostputnamJavi, on 08 October 2014 - 07:32 AM, said:

Don't spend Gold to convert to Silver.  You need to buy yourself a premium for the credit grinding alone if you don't already have one.  It makes a huge difference.  

This ^

T34, after the credit buff of 1.3 update, is a credit ATM.  I probably average 50 - 60K credits per round.  I had one round where I shot ONCE and got decimated for turning the wrong corner into 6 reds.  I still made 25K.  I do run a premium account as well so between the two, credit farming is not so painful.

Community Pledge Signer

T110E5, M103, T-54, M46 Patton, Tiger II, Panther II, VK 30.01(P), IS, T-150, Jagdpanther, SU-152, T25 AT

Aventre3 #2208 Posted 08 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25982 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postmhazelip, on 07 October 2014 - 06:01 PM, said:

HE rounds are special circumstance rounds.  I keep a few, as in 5-6, and don't get to use them very often.

HE explode on the outside of the tank.  So, what good does it do?  Depends on what you hit.  Space armor eats them.  Thick armor eats them but if the thick armor is in front of modules, drivers, etc...they get damaged from the internal damage.  Sometimes.  In theory, the HE blasting on the outside causes the armor on the inside to fracture and splinter and fly around the inside of the tank in deadly shrapnel.  Again, sometimes.

if you are shooting open top tanks watch the fun begin.  HE is crushing, find a silly turtle drive under you and able to aim top down on his hatch with a HE, joyous time.  Alas, short lived because it makes more sense to follow typical protocol and pin him, immobilize him and finish him.

Whats left?  Long distance shots.  Normal rounds lose penetration the more distance they travel and since they only do damage when they penetrate what should be a devastating shot can sometimes become heartbreakingly weak.  HE rounds do not lose penetration no matter how far they travel so they can end up doing more damage.  So, sometimes, I stress sometimes, it is worth a try to switch and see if your HE will bring joy to your heart on a long distance, stretch your guns capacity shot.

I also find that when trying to shoot a cupola, that plenty of times an AP round will bounce, while an HE round will explode on contact and they will take damage. I also just HE when I need to reset the cap clock and NEED the next shot to do damage and don't have time to look for a good penetration shot. And the same logic applies to a low health enemy tank in a tight spot

For advice and review of Premium Tanks, please see this post.

mhazelip #2209 Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 13322 battles

View PostAventre3, on 08 October 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

I also find that when trying to shoot a copula, that plenty of times an AP round will bounce, while an HE round will explode on contact and they will take damage. I also just HE when I need to reset the cap clock and NEED the next shot to do damage and don't have time to look for a good penetration shot. And the same logic applies to a low health enemy tank in a tight spot

Never thought of using it as a tactic as a cap block, I will try that next time instead of yelling at my iPad!

Another cap block tip: when the counter reaches 100 and it shows enemy team has captured...fire away!  I have stolen, and had caps stolen this way.  Apparently a small window exits where it can still be reset.  Never give up!

Community Pledge Signer

Leveling up: T20, M6, T-150, IS, Panther I, Tiger II

Just for fun: T2, M2, M4, M4A, T1, T-26, T-46, M3 Lt, T-28, KV1, KV-1S, Leich, Pz II, Pz IIA, VK30M, VK30H, VK36H, Tiger I

microcarnage #2210 Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38777 battles
  • [III-C]

View Postmhazelip, on 08 October 2014 - 03:14 PM, said:

Never thought of using it as a tactic as a cap block, I will try that next time instead of yelling at my iPad!

Another cap block tip: when the counter reaches 100 and it shows enemy team has captured...fire away!  I have stolen, and had caps stolen this way.  Apparently a small window exits where it can still be reset.  Never give up!

I've used HE to stop a cap as well. This is one of the reasons I keep a few on every tank. 

I second that there is a couple second window after the 100%. I've been shot and killed well after the cap and it registered as not surviving the match. 

_ENO_ #2211 Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Creating a linked thread for those of you wanting to set up your signature properly- step by step. 

1) PM me with confirmation that you want to join our ranks, sign the community pledge and think of a slogan you'd like on your banner. 

2) If you are a combat / service vet or Canadian, please let me know so that I can give you a properly appointed banner. The poppy is significant as the flower itself was grown in our garden and is a sign of my respect and appreciation for your service. The maple leaf was added for folks in Canada- other opportunities can be explored but the idea is to keep things clean and simple. 

3) I'll send you a PM with a link and an image verification. COPY the link I provided to you (not the word "link"... just the address link)

4) COMMON MISTAKE: People have been saving image as a .jpg and using that image to upload into the signature block. This results in improper backgrounds and .jpg isn't compatible with the transparent background I use (you can see white on gray backgrounds). The proper step is much easier- see 5).

5) Go into your user menu (name at the top right of the screen next to the sign out button). Click "My settings" in the drop down menu, then go into "Signature."

6) With the cursor in the starting point in the text / signature window, go to the icon indicated by the yellow circle on the right side in the image below and "center" the cursor.

7) Click the button in the yellow circle on the left hand side and enter the "image attachment" window. 

8) Paste the link I provided to you in the text box indicated by the yellow arrow. 

9) Click Ok to load the link- then click Ok again to accept. 

10) Enjoy your new banner. You are now one of our many ambassadors for the community! 

Note: You can enter other information under the banner if you choose- tank lines or tanks in garage is common. Please indicate that you are a community pledge signer. As you enter this information it will remain centered under the banner and looks sharp. 

Thank you!

_ENO_ #2212 Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

In "The Mines" running Tier 9s with Holy (platooned) and Lars and things are going quite well. We pushed the hill and Holy got up there with Lars and I didn't quite make it up there before the reds started showing up. I peeled a bit off towards cap to hit them from the side- and reds just STEAMED up the hill all at once. I could have fired a shot straight up in the air and still hit someone (and I did)... I'm not sure exactly what happened on top of the hill since my attentions were taken away by guys closer to their spawn- but in the end I headed up the hill to help out. I hit a few stragglers but then encountered a 103 who was near full health. I got a good shot into him- took him down to about 300-400 HP and figured I was too committed to back off so I might as well go toe to toe and see if I got lucky. 

In the meantime Lars is commenting on some battle going on somewhere in the mission. I had no idea where he was, what he was doing or if he were dead or alive.

"Oh god," he exclaims- his eye rolling evident through his tone. "This obj is an idiot... What's he doing?!" 

Did I mention I was driving an Obj? The only one in the game? Oh yeah, I probably left that part out for effect.

The conversation boiled into uproarious laughter and I have to admit I reflected on that a few times later in the evening and it really made me laugh. Actually I'm smiling as I write this... 

I keep names on friendly and foe since it's good to know who is on the other end... (cough and to avoid this kind of thing cough) ;) 

YenJay10 #2213 Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15603 battles
  • [III-X]
You got an Object already? wow, now I am jealous! Still driving the old SU-152, waiting for the credits to reach 2.5mil to get the ISU-152. Although the grind is SLOW, I am trying to reach it by the end of the week.  The free premium time helped a lot!

_ENO_ #2214 Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles
Yeah I invested heavily in one while my senses were dulled... converted a bunch of XP and if memory serves a warchest was involved lol.

YenJay10 #2215 Posted 08 October 2014 - 10:32 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15603 battles
  • [III-X]
I was thinking of selling my Tiger II, but I really grinded a L O N G time for that sucker, although I don't use it anymore!

1carburo #2216 Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:40 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 54430 battles

Is the friends list broken? Since the update nobody is ever connected according to my list.

tcamp48 #2217 Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:12 AM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61643 battles
  • [III-S]
Nice to see you here Johan! The more the merrier. ;) sorry I haven't been around much the last few days all, my wife has had some health issues and I've been at the hospital. Glad to see all's going full steam here. :)

tcamp48 #2218 Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:15 AM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61643 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostRadarralph, on 08 October 2014 - 09:45 AM, said:

Taltos  I feel your pain every time I put a new gun on a tank I forget you have to buy the amo befor going to battle I gues I have dont at half a dozen times and runn around locating tanks till I die.  Once I was able to ram a tank in CAP on Rock Field and do him in with the ram but I keep making that mistake.

Unfortunately, I've done this more than once. 

1carburo #2219 Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:15 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 54430 battles

View Postjohandelange, on 08 October 2014 - 12:01 PM, said:

Hi all, formal thank you for allowing me into the group. The FBI's report clearly did not make it to you all...  Father of two, husband to one wife, obviously South African, I am based in Cape Town, and despite my signature I spent 7 years in the SAAF as an engineer.  Looking forward to teaming up with and against some of you whilst learning to be a better tanker.  Please feel free to platoon or befriend me anytime.

hey Johan,

I'll add you to my friends list. I don't run TS3 -family harmony reasons- but if you don't mind silent platooning we can team up sometimes.

Your signature made me chuckle. I'm Cuban, and I was a teenager at the time of the fighting around Cuito-Cuanavale. In Cuba it was reported non-stop with stories of mythical battle performance by the Cuban troops supporting the Angolans. I remember one story about one MIG21 or 23 pilot fighting off 5 Mirages and destroying one or two before returning to base only because he had fired all his missiles. Of course, we never heard the stories about MIGs destroyed, or any other that didn't go well with the official narrative.

microcarnage #2220 Posted 09 October 2014 - 01:39 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38777 battles
  • [III-C]

View Post1carburo, on 08 October 2014 - 08:40 PM, said:

Is the friends list broken? Since the update nobody is ever connected according to my list.

It is.  It will only show people online that come in after you.  If they are already online it won't show.

Str8 was submitting a ticket for it this morning from what I know.

Edited by microcarnage, 09 October 2014 - 01:40 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users