Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

SGM_zorbaz #221 Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

Executive Officer & CWNA Council

• Players
  • 25438 battles

View Post_Whiplash, on 06 August 2014 - 07:18 PM, said:

I laughed so hard while reading this, haha,  Nice one.

You and me both bro.

"Show me a man with grit, skill and zeal, who fears and overcomes fears, and I will show you a Spartan." 

SGM_zorbaz[SRT]Officer, μολὼν λαβέ

Str8UpJack #222 Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostN2rock, on 06 August 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

Hey you bunch of old farts! Another old guy here- I'm 49... I just started playing a couple weeks ago when Str8UpJack introduced me to the game. I've become addicted to it since then. Currently only working a single line - American TD, and I'm up to the Wolverine.

Feel free to add me if you want- although, fair warning I'm still very much a noob at this game.

Unfortunately I can't use TS. When I'm playing, my wife is sitting on the couch next to me watching TV. She doesn't mind me playing, but if I start yacking on TS at the same time... well... I might just end up sleeping in the doghouse :wacko:

Hey Rock.. Welcome aboard :). You'll fit right in with the merry band of misfits we have here!  

N2Rock and I did some time together back in BOPS on the Wii.  I miss my wii zapper :)

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

_ENO_ #223 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:12 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

We have a great beginning on the banner sig- a little spelling thing I noticed as I was attaching the file... so I pulled it and I'll post tomorrow. I can't take any of the credit- CINC-HOUSE has better skills on photoshop than I do so she got frustrated with me slapping away on things and took over. What remains is, what can I say, just right. 

Certainly, when you see it there will be room for adaptation- but it is exactly what I said: Bold, clear, professional... Triarii! 

Didn't make it in tonight- but tomorrow for sure. See you guys there. 

And to the newly initiated- please sign on the community pledge that you will NOT be an @sshole in the forums or in team chat. You will be held to that standard as we are better than that. 

Put people in their place and shoo them off your lawn- but do so in a fashion that makes offenders want to mow it for you after. 

Str8UpJack #224 Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:26 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
  • [III-P]
Looking forward to seeing the banner!  CINC-HOUSE looks to be very talented from the painting you posted before.  

Lephturn #225 Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22359 battles
  • [III-S]

Pledge signed. :)

I need to plug you all into my friends list and find time to platoon up. I'm working on my DW-2 and getting SMOKED right now. My win ration has gone from 59% or so down to 52% :(. I guess it comes with the territory when you upgrade to new tanks. I guess next time I'll spend more time grinding for free XP to upgrade the guns before I run the new tank, because in a stock DW2 I was getting destroyed and couldn't damage anything.  One match on Dead Rail I caught a heavy with his corner sticking out and I think I pumped 20 rounds into him. I switched to HE for a while and kept him tracked and immobilized, and I did a little damage, but couldn't kill him. Eventually the remaining enemy tanks encircled me and killed me. And Hetzers... they are the bane of my existence right now.

Maybe I just have to shoot gold rounds. If I'm platooned up at least if I pop tracks and immobilize a tank or two, I'd have a partner to finish the job!

I'll dull the pain with the SU-100Y - I'll pick it up tonight and use it to platoon up with some of you this weekend. :)

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

putnamJavi #226 Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:10 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles
Gold rounds are a waste imo.  I tried 'em out when I first started in a Hetzer and realized they're not all they're cracked up to be.  Your money is better spent on a premium vehicle such as the SU-100Y and converting the XP.  You'll find that one-shotting hetzers in that thing a godsend.  It should also give you enough cash and free XP to quickly upgrade your DW2.  I've had my SU-100Y since this weekend and have already made 2 million credits.  

Str8UpJack #227 Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
  • [III-P]
Got a shiny new ride parked in my garage....  Gotta exchange some of my elite experience so I can add a few upgrades and I'll be pulling the T32 onto the battlefield this afternoon 8)

putnamJavi #228 Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:15 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles
I've yet to platoon.  Find it kinda hard as I'm usually playing in the living room with my wife and toddler when home.  The rest of the time, I play during downtime at work so I can't really dedicate the time.  

FarmerHarv #229 Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5785 battles

Excellent thread, and great idea. I'm 48 and loving WoTB so far, and would like to join up if there are any spots left. 

Although there is that thing about not joining any club that would have me as a member. Hmmm. Anyhoo...

I'm a firm believer in the "fools rush in" theory of gameplay, and often die quickly and gloriously. I don't take anything too seriously (unless it's really really stupid), and have been know to enjoy the "occasional" single malt while playing. Not sure how much I'd get on TS though, as I'm usually playing with no sound at all in the same room as wifey, but would like to try it a few times just to see if my Bluetooth hearing aids would work with it. 

Yes, getting old(er) really does suck that much. Next stop...progressive lenses. 

DrWylde #230 Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

Congrats Str8 with the new T32... just love that new tank smell!  Got my new T-54 last night, time to roll.

Edited by DrWylde, 07 August 2014 - 03:11 PM.

IS-7, IS-4, IS-8, ST-I, IS-3, IS-6, KV-4

Obj. 268, Obj. 704, ISU-152

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

siouxinpa #231 Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View PostStr8UpJack, on 07 August 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

Got a shiny new ride parked in my garage.... Gotta exchange some of my elite experience so I can add a few upgrades and I'll be pulling the T32 onto the battlefield this afternoon 8)

Oooh shinyyyy! Very nice.  Careful with that guy, T32 had a steep learning curve for me, because I'd get thrown in T10 heavy matches. Four 10's two 9's and me.... It may be better now that there are more people in T10, I still avoid the 32 except for 2x matches...lol.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

Artaax #232 Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 4354 battles
  • [MOMB]

Just signed the pledge and as a 41 year old who gets turned off with the immaturity I see in-game, I would love to join also.

i'm a casual player since I have family. I tend to play more when I'm on the road TDY though. Currently grinding away in my M4 Sherman with the stub gun. I want to eventually get into TS. Right now it's hard to type and play the game so I just find a heavy to stick with thru the game and when he runs into the enemy, I'll either focus fire or sneak around and flank behind while the heavy distracts the enemy.

Gmitch135

siouxinpa #233 Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View Postgmitch135, on 07 August 2014 - 11:54 AM, said:

Just signed the pledge and as a 41 year old who gets turned off with the immaturity I see in-game, I would love to join also.

i'm a casual player since I have family. I tend to play more when I'm on the road TDY though. Currently grinding away in my M4 Sherman with the stub gun. I want to eventually get into TS. Right now it's hard to type and play the game so I just find a heavy to stick with thru the game and when he runs into the enemy, I'll either focus fire or sneak around and flank behind while the heavy distracts the enemy.

Gmitch135

As a heavy player I wish there were more medium drivers who did that.  Most of them act like ferrets high on pixie stix, ohhh enemy, go there, more enemy, go there, oh no all of them are firing on me, SOS, SOS, SOS, dies.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

_ENO_ #234 Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

View Postsiouxinpa, on 07 August 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

As a heavy player I wish there were more medium drivers who did that.  Most of them act like ferrets high on pixie stix, ohhh enemy, go there, more enemy, go there, oh no all of them are firing on me, SOS, SOS, SOS, dies.

LOL yeah no kidding. 

On a separate note we have enough interest around the table to break into theoretical divisions within the triarii clan. I say theoretical since it won't really change the way we play- moreover I just want to start trying to better organize who is playing with ts3 and who isn't. That will be a start. 

_ENO_ #235 Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Okay so this is the FIRST draft so have no fear- if it's WAY off center- well... we'll work through it! I've kept it a bit larger so you can actually see it clearly. This is about 2x the allowed size of 468x100 pixels. 

The idea is that the black opening will be the space for division (if we go that route), name and favourite quote / saying. Haven't done mine yet- figured before I got too excited I'd put it through the group and polish off the template first. 

So then... thoughts gentlemen?  

Edited by ENO75, 07 August 2014 - 05:44 PM.

GaryP11111 #236 Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18851 battles
  • [III-S]
I'm liking what I see, Eno!

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

Artaax #237 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 4354 battles
  • [MOMB]

I downloaded the TS3 app. Looks like it can't be used until you join a channel? Do I have to have the headset or can I just use the speakers/mic on my iPad?

I kinda like the divisions thing. While I mostly play with my Med M4, I'm trying my hand at the German heavy line with my D.W.

putnamJavi #238 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles
I like it Eno!  Oh and I'm not using TS3 yet.  Will DL it soon enough.  

Edited by putnamJavi, 07 August 2014 - 06:17 PM.

Lephturn #239 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22359 battles
  • [III-S]
Purty! Needs more black space around it, so I can see the S on World of Tanks for example - but very nice.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

_ENO_ #240 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Mitch... and to everyone in the future- I'll mention it as we go but here's some info: 

When you go to download TS3 just send me a message to that effect and I'll forward you the login info for the server. I'm keeping it out of sight overall since there is a tendency (however infrequent) for people to troll and harass just because they can. 

It's not that people aren't unwelcome to join us on there, or even use my server if they don't already have their own. All are welcome to approach me and we will configure rooms for individual clans- they can be password protected so there is some privacy as things get more competitive. 

Anyway, I'm going to send you a PM with the login info. Everyone else- once you get TS3 installed, drop me a line and I will forward you the info.

Oh- and I just use my ipad2 with nothing- though some guys use headphones and their onboard mic when others are around. 

I DO strongly suggest to everyone that you consider the fact that "dad" might be playing around their families so I work hard to minimize my explosive strings of expletives (the occasional F bomb never lit anyone on fire, did it?)

For those who are concerned (since we are a passionate bunch) I recommend using headphones of some sort. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users