Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

_ENO_ #241 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

View PostLephturn, on 07 August 2014 - 12:25 PM, said:

Purty! Needs more black space around it, so I can see the S on World of Tanks for example - but very nice.

I see what you mean- I've passed it on and she agreed. We're also trying to get the sword / shield on top... she's almost done that and also making adjustments to the WOT logo so it doesn't look like "WORLD OF TANK." 

denlives #242 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11092 battles
Looks very impressive, especially to these tired old eyes.  Btw back from a brief vacation.  No wifi so no WOT Blitz.  Getting demolished recently, must get the Pershing up to maximum crew mastery.  Big improvement just getting up over 75%.  I have optics and improved loader, leaning toward vents.    I like to shoot long range and have binocs on most of my other tanks, but in reading forum it seems that may not be best for this tank.  Thoughts anyone?

DrWylde #243 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

Very nice Ian, I like what you and the artist have done. 

My suggestions:  Lighten up the Blitz logo a bit and add

a plaque-like border around the edges.  The Lion is a

great idea!  Woopie, I get a fancy signature now!

Edited by DrWylde, 07 August 2014 - 06:40 PM.

IS-7, IS-4, IS-8, ST-I, IS-3, IS-6, KV-4

Obj. 268, Obj. 704, ISU-152

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

_ENO_ #244 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Okay- in order to get that effect to work out properly the banner assumes it will be on a white background (which it will always be.) Unfortunately it's an "off white" window when you actually post- while the typing window is exactly white. I'm going to screenshot a forum window, then we'll eyedropper the colour into the background to minimize that difference.

Here's how it looks: 

DrWylde #245 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:46 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

Siouxinpa and I platooned today for the first time - no TS yet.  I've a new T-54 and still working to get comfortable with it.

Sioux, you're a terror in the M103.  As you may have noticed, I'm right behind you until you pick the target, then I'm off

for the butt shot at the poor victim.  I'll return quickly for the next victim.  Noticed some of you softening and I getting

the kill, sorry about that... great fun!

Edited by DrWylde, 07 August 2014 - 07:06 PM.

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

_ENO_ #246 Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

On thing I've noticed is that the forum alternates shades of off white with every post so my idea may not work... 

Sioux is a menace out there- and I don't think he fusses about guys flanking and getting kills. Sometimes you'll take direct contact and he'll work around the outside. I know I feel the same way. Go get'em! 

Also- good input there Doc... Might not be able to lighten it up too much since when it's much smaller it won't be visible. We'll play with it and see where it ends up. 

The border around the back may be neat too- we can try to put it on a wooden background to make it look like it's "mounted" on a wall... or something. 

Edited by ENO75, 07 August 2014 - 06:56 PM.

DrWylde #247 Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

What you've got Ian is classy - just what the doc ordered, so to speak.  I'm really excited now!

Oh by the way, when I said "lighten it up a bit", I was thinking make it more white, ie. brighter.

On second thought, just do what you two think is right... you're on a roll and don't need me.

Edited by DrWylde, 07 August 2014 - 07:39 PM.

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

Str8UpJack #248 Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
  • [III-P]

I am digging the clan banner!  Just a thought but can't you make the background color white and then set it to transparent?  That should work so that it doesn't matter what the background color is that it's against.  I use GIMP so I'm not exactly sure how that works in PS but it should be ezpz. 

On the shiny new T32... well it's looking like an old Chevy Suburban from 1977 right about now... I got tossed in with some really crappy teams on my first 6 games and only got one win with it so I'm a dun with taking it out unless I'm platooned with one of the Triarii brethren.  4 games I found myself as the last one left with 3-4 enemies at least... how can players be so friggin bad at Tier 8 that they do ZERO damage?  

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

_ENO_ #249 Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:41 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

View Postdenlives, on 07 August 2014 - 12:35 PM, said:

Looks very impressive, especially to these tired old eyes.  Btw back from a brief vacation.  No wifi so no WOT Blitz.  Getting demolished recently, must get the Pershing up to maximum crew mastery.  Big improvement just getting up over 75%.  I have optics and improved loader, leaning toward vents.    I like to shoot long range and have binocs on most of my other tanks, but in reading forum it seems that may not be best for this tank.  Thoughts anyone?

I missed that question Den- sorry about that. 

To be quite honest a tank is going to be best while working within the comforts of your play style. If you like to hang back and seek opportunities from a distance and play more in that fashion with the speed to dart from place to place then I think you should put equipment on that supports that play style. Let's say you work as sort of a TD Hunter- so you have periscopes and optics and the rammer. Maybe you use vents instead of the rammer and get increased function throughout the entire game across all crew functions instead of just loading... 

View PostStr8UpJack, on 07 August 2014 - 01:34 PM, said:

I am digging the clan banner!  Just a thought but can't you make the background color white and then set it to transparent?  That should work so that it doesn't matter what the background color is that it's against. 

Frick that's probably it STR8... I'll try that.

Edited by ENO75, 07 August 2014 - 07:42 PM.

_ENO_ #250 Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Sioux and I got in there today and had a bit of a rough time of it. I saw Doc and Str8 in TS3 as well but Doc had some issues with his speakers he needed to sort out.

I also got confirmation from Sioux that he can be added to the clan list so I'm glad he ponied up. An informal association but one nonetheless. 

Keep in mind also in the TS3 AP you can't see who is in what room until you're actually in it. When you log onto the server, you'll be alone in there until you join the Triarii Clan Lobby channel. Just click on it, and then when the option comes up just click "join channel" on the top of the menu options. 

When you're in there, then you can see who is in the room. I'm not a fan of that but that's how it is right now. 

Also, make sure in settings / voice options you have it set to "voice activated." In that setting, you can then click on the blue dot with white microphone and adjust your mic sensitivity. Be careful where you place your hands on your device since common stances frequently result in covering mics. 

You can also change your nickname in the menu in the normal window and add the TS3 server information to your bookmarks. That way it's easy to join. 

Had a funny thing happen in mission today- we were working Copperfield and on the opposite side of spawn... having traveled all the way around and ended up at the base of the windmill / water tower- whatever it is. Anyway, I caught a KV-1S in between some buildings on the other side so I took a poke at him and got lucky... took about 400 off him. Okay, not bad. 

So he doesn't like that, turns around (behind cover) and then makes the relatively slow climb up to the top of a ridge on his side and while wide open ends up shooting a round over my head. In the meantime someone else has seen him and took a shot at him- taking another few hundred and I GLADLY followed suite for the kill. About 5 second later he calls us campers. 

Anyway- let's not be a part of that problem. 

On another side of things, Sioux and I went around town on the mines and got overrun by a large group of rather well organized reds. They just swamped us leaving us with no real excuse. Sometimes the other side does something right... right? 

3 of our guys ended up swarming CAP within about 45 seconds and they hung out there for most of the time- they had a couple encounters with someone on the other side of the river at which point they all darted off and CAP reset. So Sioux and I are in the great beyond... with this package of 4 motivated reds moving around together... watching our guys on CAP and one guy across the river. About 70 seconds on CAP and at the first contact these guys abandon CAP and start maneuvering... resetting to 0. 

The CAP run is on the top of my "DO NOT LIKE" list- but if you're going to do it at the expense of watching the rest of your team get squished at LEAST defend it with some vigor! 

In this scenario I approve of any and all commentary! 

Edited by ENO75, 07 August 2014 - 10:14 PM.

Str8UpJack #251 Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostENO75, on 07 August 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

Sioux and I got in there today and had a bit of a rough time of it. I saw Doc and Str8 in TS3 as well but Doc had some issues with his speakers he needed to sort out.

I also got confirmation from Sioux that he can be added to the clan list so I'm glad he ponied up. An informal association but one nonetheless. 

Keep in mind also in the TS3 AP you can't see who is in what room until you're actually in it. When you log onto the server, you'll be alone in there until you join the Triarii Clan Lobby channel. Just click on it, and then when the option comes up just click "join channel" on the top of the menu options. 

When you're in there, then you can see who is in the room. I'm not a fan of that but that's how it is right now. 

Also, make sure in settings / voice options you have it set to "voice activated." In that setting, you can then click on the blue dot with white microphone and adjust your mic sensitivity. Be careful where you place your hands on your device since common stances frequently result in covering mics. 

You can also change your nickname in the menu in the normal window and add the TS3 server information to your bookmarks. That way it's easy to join. 

Had a funny thing happen in mission today- we were working Copperfield and on the opposite side of spawn... having traveled all the way around and ended up at the base of the windmill / water tower- whatever it is. Anyway, I caught a KV-1S in between some buildings on the other side so I took a poke at him and got lucky... took about 400 off him. Okay, not bad. 

So he doesn't like that, turns around (behind cover) and then makes the relatively slow climb up to the top of a ridge on his side and while wide open ends up shooting a round over my head. In the meantime someone else has seen him and took a shot at him- taking another few hundred and I GLADLY followed suite for the kill. About 5 second later he calls us campers. 

Anyway- let's not be a part of that problem. 

On another side of things, Sioux and I went around town on the mines and got overrun by a large group of rather well organized reds. They just swamped us leaving us with no real excuse. Sometimes the other side does something right... right? 

3 of our guys ended up swarming CAP within about 45 seconds and they hung out there for most of the time- they had a couple encounters with someone on the other side of the river at which point they all darted off and CAP reset. So Sioux and I are in the great beyond... with this package of 4 motivated reds moving around together... watching our guys on CAP and one guy across the river. About 70 seconds on CAP and at the first contact these guys abandon CAP and start maneuvering... resetting to 0. 

The CAP run is on the top of my "DO NOT LIKE" list- but if you're going to do it at the expense of watching the rest of your team get squished at LEAST defend it with some vigor! 

In this scenario I approve of any and all commentary! 

Yeah, that burns my a5$

worse than a six pack of Genesee Cream Ales the day after.  Seen that type of thing constantly.  Let's just face facts.. This game is inhabited by idiots and those of is that actually "get" how to try and win a match are in the minority.  

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

_ENO_ #252 Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Sorry- testing the transparent. No joy.

Str8 you said you managed to get it done in GIMP eh? Can you send me the file you managed to do it with? Having some trouble unlocking the background layer.

Edited by ENO75, 07 August 2014 - 11:13 PM.

microcarnage #253 Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38777 battles

signed the pledge... now to make the last grind for my new tanker..... 

What does everyone think?  Jackson or T20? 

FarmerHarv #254 Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:54 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5785 battles
T20's irritate me me to no end, but Jackson's are yummy, so I vote T20 (assuming you like sports cars with guns of course). 

_ENO_ #255 Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:00 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

(On another note):

I remain astonished that folks in Tier 7 still try to cap while it's 6 on 1. Let it be known that strategy is not (generally) acceptable for the Triarii! 

You're on full HP wanting on 6 1 shots hoping to draw them out for clobbering? Then be my guest... But if you've been reset 5 times and don't know any better- I'll save the conversation for TS3. 

(Sort of tongue in cheek- I still don't care how good you are but I expect folks will take a fight to the enemy to the best of their ability!)

siouxinpa #256 Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:19 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View PostDrWylde, on 07 August 2014 - 02:46 PM, said:

Siouxinpa and I platooned today for the first time - no TS yet.  I've a new T-54 and still working to get comfortable with it.

Sioux, you're a terror in the M103.  As you may have noticed, I'm right behind you until you pick the target, then I'm off

for the butt shot at the poor victim.  I'll return quickly for the next victim.  Noticed some of you softening and I getting

the kill, sorry about that... great fun!

No worries, Doc. Plenty of kills to go around. :)

I had a blast playing with you.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

DrWylde #257 Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:42 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

Hey Carnage, I really enjoy my T20.  It is fast with decent armor and a good gun.  Like any medium/light, don't count on the armor -

just shoot and scoot.  A good T20 driver will start getting into Tier 8 matches on a regular basis... and the scores they get are high.

I really don't know about the Jackson since I've not gone down that line.  I see a lot more T20s on the rampage than Jacksons.

One more thing, if you get the T20... make a point of learning how to do the "Circle of Death", practice often...

Edited by DrWylde, 08 August 2014 - 01:46 AM.

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

denlives #258 Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:59 AM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11092 battles
Love the T 20, and it flows right into the Pershing. You will not be disappointed. A very good overall tank.

DrWylde #259 Posted 08 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26417 battles
  • [RBLN]

Hi Den, welcome back - I'm the new guy.  Just wanted to point out we have a lot in common.

For example, 1951 and 1969.  I'm sure there is more... anyway, nice to meet you.  Cheers!

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

Spekulatius #260 Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:00 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32625 battles
  • [III-S]
Signed the pledge and downloded TS3. I found Natl and Str8Up in the chat room , but left them alone for the time being. I do look forward to some platooning in the future.Good hunting! - Weidmansheil!

Community pledge signer

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users