Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

DrWylde #281 Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26392 battles
  • [RBLN]

Good job on the banner - congratulations to all.   As for mine, I'd appreciate one with my call sign and the phrase "Veni, vidi, vici":

"Veni, vidi, vici" (Classical Latin: [ˈweːniː ˈwiːdiː ˈwiːkiː]; Ecclesiastical Latin: [ˈvɛni ˈvidi ˈvitʃi]; "I came, I saw, I conquered") is a Latin phrase. Its popular usage reportedly originates from a letter that Julius Caesar wrote to the Roman Senate around 46 BC, in the city of Zela (now in Tokat Province, Turkey, and known as Zile), after achieving victory in his short war against Pharnaces II of Pontus.[1] The phrase is used to refer to a swift, conclusive victory.

If we can all agree on a standard phrase, I'll go with that.  But then, it's all about herding cats...  thanks.

IS-7, IS-4, IS-8, ST-I, IS-3, IS-6, KV-4

Obj. 268, Obj. 704, ISU-152

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

DrWylde #282 Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26392 battles
  • [RBLN]

Been in a bit of a slump lately - yesterday and today, my mojo seems to have returned.  Some days I'm hot, some days I'm not.

My headgear for TS3 will arrive soon.  I'd like to get used to playing with it for awhile before going into platoons with the team.

I must say, the T-54 is one awesome tank.  Fast, good armor, great gun.  The maneuverability is fantastic.  Love it! 

Edited by DrWylde, 10 August 2014 - 06:37 PM.

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

Eire1916 #283 Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17793 battles
  • [III-Z]

Hey guys. 

Do we have a member list that shows who is on TS,,,which I am really having fun with and recommend. 

Str8UpJack #284 Posted 10 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostEire1916, on 10 August 2014 - 02:38 PM, said:

Hey guys. 

Do we have a member list that shows who is on TS,,,which I am really having fun with and recommend. 

Eno seems to be updating the OP with members and denotes those using TS with "*" ahead of their IGN

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

naktl #285 Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles

Eno, Eire and I have been on TS3 the last couple of nights so you could add him to TS3 users.  We rolled a bunch of maps in 2x T29s.  I got my T32 and he is about to get his.

I saw you rolling in your IS8 on a map last night, but I don't have any T9s yet.  I should get my Pershing today, giving me a garage of all 9 T8s.

being old and stoopid I probably need sig instructions.

_ENO_ #286 Posted 10 August 2014 - 07:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

I am updating the original thread as I get confirmation that TS3 is in use... as mentioned by Str8. 

Nakt- I was working a T9 last night but I wasn't having a great go of it. Still adjusting to the "heavy medium" tactics and the limits of my armor. 

Also, when we're done with it, it should just be a matter of inserting an image into your signature block... 

To keep things moving, I'll start with a Clan saying for those who are undecided and as the phrases come in I can swap them out. 

I've been in a steep slump too lately- just not getting the shots I want and every move on the battlefield is a challenge. Need some platoon action to get my motor running again!

twosp2 #287 Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3894 battles
It is certainly more difficult when you transition from running platoons and then not. I think it will take a while for me to adjust back and forth lol.

Proud community pledge signer

Current Top Tanks: E100, T110E5, T-62A, ST-I, IS-3

putnamJavi #288 Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles
I was suggesting it as a group motto but if not than I'll put it on my personal slogan.  I've got my tier X German TD so now I've just been putzing around.  

_ENO_ #289 Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles
Sounds good to me Putnam... I did notice that saying in the wiki so it did catch my attention for the group slogan. 

_ENO_ #290 Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

TS3 instructions: This post will be linked to on the first page.

1) Download the App.

2) Open the App. You'll see a white window with a MENU heading on the top left hand corner. Click on that. 

3) Go into bookmarks and then at the bottom left of that you'll see a + sign. Click on that to add the TS3 server information I provide to you in pm. Leave server port as is... the rest of the stuff is pretty self explanatory. Put in your WOTB nickname in there- many are putting their [iii] tag on there. Click "Done" when you are finished (top right).

4) Go into SETTINGS- and on the top where it says "voice mode" select "voice activated." We will configure this in a few steps. Click done when voice activated is selected. 

5)  With the bookmarks and other items configured, you'll see the firehouse bookmark at the top. Click on that and if you've entered the proper password information for the server it should connect you. 

6) You enter into the default room in the Foederati side of the forum. This is the blended side that will allow people from outside to join us (by invite only)- If you want to go to a Triarii Only room, you need to click on the desired room. When you do that it'll say "join channel" at the top of the page and click that option. You will then be moved into that room. IF you want to be able to see who is in what room, you must subscribe to each channel. Just select the room, "subscribe to channel" and at that point you will be able to see who is in the room from outside. You can also just "subscribe to all channels."

7) You'll have noticed a blue dot bottom middle of the screen with a white mic inside it. Click on that and you'll see a slider with a noise bar showing ambient noise. If you talk, you'll see about where the mic opens up... and this can be adjusted to filter out background noise. This may take some adjusting throughout- depending on your background.

8) Once you've paired up with a partner, you can choose a "War Room" to head into where other conversations won't interrupt your combat and versa vice.

That should get people in the door. Any other fine tuning issues, please just let me know.

_ENO_ #291 Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles
I don't know about you guys- but I'm going to saddle up with an "adult beverage" and hit the field. See you out there!

DrWylde #292 Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26392 battles
  • [RBLN]

After reading Putnam's post suggesting a common phrase for our clan, the desperation thing was confusing.  So, I went and looked up

the phrase "rem ad Triarios redisse"... Wikipedia has a nice article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triarii/ with more information.  I suggest

everyone read it, if they have not already.

Anyway, I'm willing to go with the above phrase if 1) the group is willing to go standard rather then individual, and 2) a general consensus

emerges that this phrase is what the team wants.  I might add that a phrase most players are going to have no idea of it's meaning will

be little more than just strange words... just my opinion.

Edited by DrWylde, 11 August 2014 - 04:06 PM.

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

LarsGarvey #293 Posted 11 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9049 battles
  • [III-Z]

I grabbed some good beer this weekend, but didn't have any time to drink it. So I'll be out in the field after work, likely outside, enjoying the beer, and hoping that I have a decent evening of tanking.

Has anyone found a really nice set up for their iPad controls? I've been messing around with the size and placement of the "joystick," but still haven't necessarily found the sweet spot for any of the controls. If anyone has a nice setup they like, would you mind sharing a screen shot?

Community Pledge Signer

Current Tank Rotation:

M103 * T32 * T34 * T29 * SU-100Y * T-34

DrWylde #294 Posted 11 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26392 battles
  • [RBLN]

Lars, control placement is highly personalized, as I'm sure you agree.  I found the following works:

Having and learning to use a fire button above both control areas is important.  When fine tuning

a shot through the scope on the soft spot of the enemy, the left fire button is faster to snap shot.

When circling up close and personal the enemy tank without stopping, the right fire button is

faster to snap shot.  As for placement, go into settings and hold your iPad as in combat.

Swing both your left and right thumbs in their natural arc above the control areas.  You

may find that the left fire button works better above and to the LEFT of the joystick.

In a similar fashion, you may find the right fire button works better above and to

the RIGHT of the turret controls with the scope button below and to the LEFT

of the turret controls - all optimized for the natural swing of your thumbs.  I

change ammo frequently and found the default placement above the

consumables to be awkward... I moved it BELOW the consumables

on the same side.  As for button sizes, that up to you...

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

GaryP11111 #295 Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17261 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostDrWylde, on 11 August 2014 - 10:53 AM, said:

After reading Putnam's post suggesting a common phrase for our clan, the desperation thing was confusing.  So, I went and looked up

the phrase "rem ad Triarios redisse"... Wikipedia has a nice article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triarii/ with more information.  I suggest

everyone read it, if they have not already.

Anyway, I'm willing to go with the above phrase if 1) the group is willing to go standard rather then individual, and 2) a general consensus

emerges that this phrase is what the team wants.  I might add that a phrase most players are going to have no idea of it's meaning will

be little more than just strange words... just my opinion.

There are at least four different Latin translations for "It comes down to the Triarri" that I know of. I've been using one version in my sig for a couple weeks. That said, for my own Triarri sig I think I might go with a parody of a famous quote that should be east to grasp for those with even a casual familiarity of American history, particularly our Civil War era: sic semper derpus (Thus always to derps).

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

siouxinpa #296 Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

This is my old guy, sausage fingers setup.

Joystick is maxed, slightly up from default. No fire button on joystick side. Fire button is at 1.25 and offset from the sniper button so I don't shoot instead of zoom.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

GaryP11111 #297 Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:10 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17261 battles
  • [III-S]
I wonder how many people have accidentally fired a shot and maybe hit someone simply because the default placement of the left fire button is so close to the virtual joystick. On the iPad mini it is barely a quarter inch over the joystick and I know I popped off a few rounds when my paw slipped over the joystick before I found the controls customization utility.

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

Val_Darrant #298 Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:17 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17660 battles
  • [III-X]
I played on an iPad last night for the first time....it felt like a whole other game.  I am a long suffering iPhone player who has to take his glasses off to play WOT. This is STILL the best thread on the forum.

"Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts"

LarsGarvey #299 Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9049 battles
  • [III-Z]

DrWylde and Siouxinpa, thank you!

Going to really try to figure this out tonight. I think when I am sitting in bed I hold the iPad slightly differently than when I am at my desk or out on the back porch, so I probably just need to get smarter about changing the position of the directional pad/joystick-y thing when I change environments.

Siouxinpa, I really like that you've moved the fire button away from the zoom. I am going to work this into my controls. I can't count the number of times I zoomed instead of shot/shot instead of zoomed. It's not been a ton, but it's been enough.

Community Pledge Signer

Current Tank Rotation:

M103 * T32 * T34 * T29 * SU-100Y * T-34

rdwillson #300 Posted 11 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10760 battles
Eno, thank you for the encouragement to get TeamSpeak (and set-up instructions). What a difference it is playing this game when you can talk to a team mate. For those of you who haven't done it yet highly recommend it.

Current Tanks T110E5 / T110E3 / T34 / IS-7 / ST-I / T-54 / Ferdi

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users