Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

_ENO_ #301 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Eh RD- no problem at all... really glad it was easy to get configured and now you're running on 8 cylinders! Or 12... I suppose- depending on the tank! 

I do have some banners ready- but imgur's photo editor has taken a dump so I can't post them in their current size- waaaaaaaaay too big. 

Also, I'm surprised I care but last night I ended up having a really great solo game (one of few) and got a first class mastery badge... Thing is afterwards I look in my stats and it says I have 0-14 mastery badges and no other record of it. Not sure if that's just the way it is but I thought I'd read somewhere that once you got the mastery badge (demonstrating higher than the average of 95% of players in the case of first class) that you kept it forever. 

I took the screen because to be honest I was really quite happy about the occasion... but then I couldn't find any record of it again- 

Guess the only answer may be to go get another one, eh? hehe. 

Eire1916 #302 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17793 battles
  • [III-Z]

something like  ' pass me the advil,,my ( insert sore body part here) is acting up again,, ' would be a good sig for us,,

_ENO_ #303 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles
salvum nobis tondere 

Is "Get off our lawn" in latin according to the translator- but I went with one of the original suggestions (for now). I'll post it as soon as imgur editor stops taking a dump.

On another note- I also managed to get my IS8 topped out. It's got all good-to-goes, and that's a lot of good-to-goes so we're good to go! (The latter heard on an M1A1 training documentary years ago... undoubtedly misquoted but always a favourite.)

Edited by ENO75, 11 August 2014 - 06:34 PM.

siouxinpa #304 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View PostENO75, on 11 August 2014 - 02:15 PM, said:

Eh RD- no problem at all... really glad it was easy to get configured and now you're running on 8 cylinders! Or 12... I suppose- depending on the tank! 

I do have some banners ready- but imgur's photo editor has taken a dump so I can't post them in their current size- waaaaaaaaay too big. 

Also, I'm surprised I care but last night I ended up having a really great solo game (one of few) and got a first class mastery badge... Thing is afterwards I look in my stats and it says I have 0-14 mastery badges and no other record of it. Not sure if that's just the way it is but I thought I'd read somewhere that once you got the mastery badge (demonstrating higher than the average of 95% of players in the case of first class) that you kept it forever. 

I took the screen because to be honest I was really quite happy about the occasion... but then I couldn't find any record of it again- 

Guess the only answer may be to go get another one, eh? hehe. 

3rd-1st class Mastery is never recorded. Only the Mastery badge is. Better than 99% of players that week.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

_ENO_ #305 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Rain... Meet Parade. 

naktl #306 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles

Here is my set up.  I use both left and right fire buttons because you need them sometimes to snipe moving targets.  Let's you swivel the turret and fire at the same time.

The way I figure out placement and size is to just hold the ipad and see where my thumbs go.

Spoiler

_ENO_ #307 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

One recommendation guys while we're talking about configuration- 

Get used to holding your hands so that you don't cover up (or rub) the mic button on the top of the ipad... It will help ensure you get used to holding it in a fashion that keeps communications clear.

denlives #308 Posted 11 August 2014 - 06:56 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11092 battles

Siouxinpa, 

The ace mastery is above first class and is the only one recorded. I assume you are running 14 tanks and that is why you are 0-14. This used to drive me nuts until I finally got an ace.

siouxinpa #309 Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:18 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View Postdenlives, on 11 August 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

Siouxinpa, 

The ace mastery is above first class and is the only one recorded. I assume you are running 14 tanks and that is why you are 0-14. This used to drive me nuts until I finally got an ace.

Hey...I got one...one -.-

And it was in a loltraktor....

naktl #310 Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles

Really my my stats overall are horrible.  I console myself that having played through 69 tanks thus far contributes to this (though it's probably not true).

_ENO_ #311 Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Eh guys. 

As you may have noticed, I have posted a temporary "place holder" with a bit of an idea as to how the banner will look with a quote in there. Some folks are really interested in the banner / quote- other people are less concerned. Fortunately among this group it's easy to keep everyone happy- since we're all just here for fun anyway. 

Here is a version of the one with the "accepted" name location and font... This one didn't have the background transparent but with Str8's help I'm hoping we'll get it lined up properly within proportions. 

Still polishing and I do have many of your quotes ready to go. 

DrWylde #312 Posted 11 August 2014 - 10:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26392 battles
  • [RBLN]

Banner looks great!  Thanks for all your hard work on this and all the other you've done to create this little home for us all.

Upon reflection, I think I'd like to have "Rem Ad Triarios Redisse" on my banner as well... a little mystery will work nicely.

Cheers!

Edited by DrWylde, 11 August 2014 - 10:57 PM.

IS-7, IS-4, IS-8, ST-I, IS-3, IS-6, KV-4

Obj. 268, Obj. 704, ISU-152

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

twosp2 #313 Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3894 battles
Banner is looking great can't wait to see everybody rolling with it!

Proud community pledge signer

Current Top Tanks: E100, T110E5, T-62A, ST-I, IS-3

_ENO_ #314 Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Okay- someone has to say it. 

Facebook page? Or is there a better alternative? 

I heard about some clan supporting sites that will give us some space... that something we want to look into? I'd like something that will allow us to embed the TS3 viewer so you can go there and see who is online without having to "snoop" in and out of channels. Unfortunately the app doesn't allow us to see who is in what channel... but the viewer does. 

One one hand I abhor facebook for the inner outlet that it provides people to talk about their candy coated [edited]and air out their dirty personal laundry in hopes of wrangling support for some ambiguous cause that body gives an ish about but will dogpile on anyway because it sounds AWESOME in that quarter second thought process (approximately the amount of time it takes to "like" something). 

On the other hand, I do enjoy that it does connect you with people that you'd have never, ever known before in a way that- if properly managed- is just the right amount that you want to know.

Having this sort of page- and it doesn't have to be facebook by any stretch- would give us a chance to get to know each other at a different level... one that for some may enhance the experience... for others may jeopardize it. 

I'd like some subjective feedback on the proposition- and if we do go that way there will be no expectation to participate. Again, this is all about taking it to a level everyone is comfortable with! 

Edited by ENO75, 11 August 2014 - 11:36 PM.

_ENO_ #315 Posted 11 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

On another note I went and bought a membership at gamemodels3d and it occurred to me it might be interesting to do some "study sessions" in the thread. On one hand I'd like to keep that close to my chest, but on another hand I want to assist the community in general in being better, and having confidence in battle. Do we want to give everyone our secrets? Locations on the map... weak points of armour? Sure, all the information is out there- but to put it ALL in one all you can eat buffet?! 

I take the following from a message shared with one of our own: 

You know me and my Sun Tzu stuff... He makes a point of saying there are only 5 tastes, only 5 musical notes, not more than 5 primary colours, and only two methods of attack- the direct and indirect. However the combinations therein result in more tastes, more music, more colours, and more maneuvers than can ever be measured. 

I saddle that with a quote from another respected source- Colonel Henderson: 

"The rules of strategy are few and simple- they may be learned in a week. They may be taught by familiar illustrations or a dozen diagrams. But such knowledge will no more teach a man to lead an army like Napoleon than a knowledge of grammar will teach him to write like Gibbon."

So what I'm saying is I hold someone's hand through every degree of detail and they'd still not maintain any advantages.

Any thoughts on having little open study sessions on parts of the map, tank weakness and tactics in this thread? I don't have to run them all since I'm one of the least experienced among us- but I would like to facilitate the sessions if possible and there's some interest. 

twosp2 #316 Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:11 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3894 battles
If there is even interest by a few these "study sessions" would be great. Not only would it allow us to connect as a group/community more but it would certainly help us all improve and enjoy the game more.

Proud community pledge signer

Current Top Tanks: E100, T110E5, T-62A, ST-I, IS-3

siouxinpa #317 Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:55 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

Groupme is imo the best clan communtication app. It's accessible on iOS, android, web and if you are old school by text. There is a permanence to the comments and photos/memes etc.

I manage a clan family in a different game with 350 members with it.

concep #318 Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:58 AM

Stop Tunneling Me

• Players
  • 35720 battles

View Posttwosp2, on 11 August 2014 - 08:11 PM, said:

If there is even interest by a few these "study sessions" would be great. Not only would it allow us to connect as a group/community more but it would certainly help us all improve and enjoy the game more.

I'd be willing to help out.

Tier Xs (in order of unlocking): T110E5, M48 Patton, T-62A, IS-7, E50M, IS-4, FV4202, T110E3, FV215b, Obj. 268, T110E4, Leopard 1, Obj. 140, STB-1, Obj. 263, T57 Heavy, AMX 50B, Bat Chat 25t

Most played tank: T-62A (3,100 battles)

Favorite Quotes                       #BACKFROMTHEGRAVE                                   YouTube Channel!

Str8UpJack #319 Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15139 battles
  • [III-P]

I think the interest is surely there for discussions on tactics and possible lessons from the experienced players.  We all want to get better at the game which is why we all gravitated to this forum in the first place... right?  Then we all stumbled on the fact that we were not the only older players in the game thanks to Eno's post.. HA!,  did you ever think that little post would spark one of the most active threads on the forums ;) ?

As far as a clan site vs an alternative like FB... FB might not be a bad alternative since you can have group pages and they can be secret and invite only.  Then we don't have to worry about paying for and maintaining a clan website at the start.. if this continues to grow and we need more than a FB group page provides then the move to a web site could be made.  

Having someplace besides these forums would be cool since it could be sectioned as the group continues to grow.. this one thread will eventually become very fragmented with bits of info on all sorts of topics buried in it's pages.

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

_ENO_ #320 Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:53 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

The fragmented nature of the information is definitely one reason that swayed me over to the idea of something separate- I can credit GaryP with the original idea. I was hesitant since in the past my experience with my former passion didn't require it and in fact in some respects was against it. 

Okay- so I was looking at one of the threads in here talking about the E100 tier X... but that may be a bit much to start with. Let's look into a very common tank- whether it's the T29-32 or maybe even the IS / IS3. 

Perhaps we need to look closer at tank destroyers? 

There are pages that I may link to since much of the work has already been done... so I may link to those while taking some screens on the 3dmodel page that give more specific angles and give us the ability to calculate or be more familiar with the equivalent thickness of armor- not only with their own slope, but also from the aspect we're shooting at. 

In addition, I also did "put it out there" to some folks with WG / community about the embedded TS3. They'll get back to me with a response- I'm not sure they can do it but if they can, then great!

Edited by ENO75, 12 August 2014 - 02:59 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users