Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

_ENO_ #321 Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:20 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Str8 and I just took a fight to the enemy and were batting about .5 so not bad but I admit that I got a bit on the unconventionally aggressive side and wasn't communicating properly on my intentions. A few times we just got outmaneuvered and the other side did something right. On one occasion I take some comfort in being able to blame a haxor since there is no way in the universe I could have had my flower handed to me in such a fashion (LOL!!!!! yeah, I TOTALLY got my flower handed to me!) 

Anyway- tell you what guys... here's my proposed format. I'll do a study on a particular tank- I'll choose one that is relatively common to get the ball rolling. I'm going to pick at some resource material that is available out there, and take some screens of some common aspects with some common thicknesses. Then, those of you who have MOAR to add can do so! 

I've put some time in and lived through 1k+ missions so I'm not a wet behind the ears plebe anymore- with that said, each and every mission I'm learning 1 more thing. 

So give me a day or so (going to be on night shift so I'll have lots of research / profiling time) to put a solid brief together- be lots of screens... lots of little this'n'that's. I'll link to existing information- there is a lot of it but it's mostly focused around WOT main plant. It'll get us in the ballpark. 

I expect that guys who are working the tanks in question might pony up some limitations of said tank- so we can get into the heads of the guys driving them when they're on the red side. 

I'm excited about the potential and will do my best to produce in the next day or so. I travel tomorrow but should have most of tomorrow night to work on something. It'll likely be a 6-7-8 tank since most of us are working in that area. Gradually I'll migrate to others- provided of course there's a demand for such things!  

_ENO_ #322 Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:23 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

View Postconcep, on 11 August 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

I'd be willing to help out.

To add a little remark about this- Concep... you've been really helpful to the guys on TS3 and I am hearing good feedback about that on a regular basis. If we don't thank you enough on TS3, or in here, I just thought I'd throw one more quick salute in your direction. 

yjamesy #323 Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:27 AM

Private

• Players
  • 16945 battles
  • [III-S]

I want to give a hearty shout out to Naktl for platooning down to  a Tier 5 tank for about 4 or 5 games Sunday night.  It was my first time using Teamspeak and an overt platooning attempt made a huge difference to my score.   Plus it was a lot more fun.  

I also want to thank Eno for helping me un-invert my cranial-anal inversion when I couldn't get the password correct.  

So, if you haven't gotten TS3 yet. Do it.  If you're in or near Tier 5, look me up.  My call sign is yjamesy.  

_ENO_ #324 Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:41 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles
It really does make a HUGE difference. Welcome aboard james! 

twosp2 #325 Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3894 battles
Sounds great ENO I look forward to conversations about different tanks. Naktl and I platooned up for about a dozen battles and we went 10 and 2. We had a very successful evening buzzing around in our tier 8 mediums. Platoons can make all the difference in the world for the most part.

Proud community pledge signer

Current Top Tanks: E100, T110E5, T-62A, ST-I, IS-3

GaryP11111 #326 Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:22 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 16839 battles
  • [III-S]

View Posttwosp2, on 11 August 2014 - 11:57 PM, said:

Sounds great ENO I look forward to conversations about different tanks. Naktl and I platooned up for about a dozen battles and we went 10 and 2. We had a very successful evening buzzing around in our tier 8 mediums. Platoons can make all the difference in the world for the most part.

ENO and I platooned a bit on Sunday night. We won more than we lost and had some really good games, even scoring a Crucial medal. My Patton hasn't quite bonded with me yet, but I had my best games in it thus far platooning with ENO. That M46 and I will get along just fine.

Naktl and I ran into each other twice this past Sunday—on opposite teams. In the first game (DeadRail) I spotted him on the hill along the narrow side of the trains and me being me, went after him. He ducked around the rear of the train and I followed. The last thing I saw was naktl submerging behind a snow bank just as I realize I followed him into the enemy main force. Not the way to spot the enemy and I quickly learned what Bonnie and Clyde felt like in that Louisiana ambush. Don't know if naktl saw my shaking fist, but it was there, lying in the snow.

Later that evening we ran into each other at Fort Despair; Naktl gives a shout out and I "affirmative" back— and then eyeball my team lemming train into the fort, single file, prolly singing the Hi-Ho song from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. It was a really nice parade of hardware that would surely attract the enemy, and though I was the last of the seven I didn't want to be Dopey, so I flanked around the rear in my T34. I'm doing fine when One Tank Has Spotted Me. Naktl. We exchange shots and this time here he comes after me. It's on like Donkey Kong. I swing wide and go toward a ruined block house and we circle it, each chasing the other, though there's no way I'm going to win this race in my heavy. So I swing my gun to the rear but keep moving forward hoping he'll think it's still pointing north. He comes around the corner, sees the giant gun and swings wide but I plant my Bonnie and Clyde revenge shot into his Panther II. 

We haven't platooned yet, but it should be interesting. I'm looking forward to it!

And speaking of the T34 premium, I gotta say I love this tank. It's brutal and it loves to be thrown into a brawl; it would be a sin to camp with this magnificent beast.

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

_ENO_ #327 Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:32 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Okay boys... here are the type of images I can grab: (For extra points, what tank is this?)

And at certain angles, I can grab these: 

Top left hand corner of the box generally represents the location in question. It shows actual thickness of armour, thickness including the designed slope- as well as the actual thickness from the angle that you're shooting from at that aspect. Awesome tool. 

To give the guy credit where it's due, that is from http://gamemodels3d.com/ and I HIGHLY recommend it for those looking to enhance their knowledge. Again, mostly WOT main plant, however still undoubtedly useful 

Granted, this is going tier X- but I was hunting down info on it given a recent thread... so I wanted to know. Suffice to say, looking for opportunities on that rear hatch on the turret pay handsome dividends. 

Just sayin'

siouxinpa #328 Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

Imma say this one.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

naktl #329 Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:13 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles

View PostGaryP11111, on 11 August 2014 - 11:22 PM, said:

ENO and I platooned a bit on Sunday night. We won more than we lost and had some really good games, even scoring a Crucial medal. My Patton hasn't quite bonded with me yet, but I had my best games in it thus far platooning with ENO. That M46 and I will get along just fine.

Naktl and I ran into each other twice this past Sunday—on opposite teams. In the first game (DeadRail) I spotted him on the hill along the narrow side of the trains and me being me, went after him. He ducked around the rear of the train and I followed. The last thing I saw was naktl submerging behind a snow bank just as I realize I followed him into the enemy main force. Not the way to spot the enemy and I quickly learned what Bonnie and Clyde felt like in that Louisiana ambush. Don't know if naktl saw my shaking fist, but it was there, lying in the snow.

Later that evening we ran into each other at Fort Despair; Naktl gives a shout out and I "affirmative" back— and then eyeball my team lemming train into the fort, single file, prolly singing the Hi-Ho song from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. It was a really nice parade of hardware that would surely attract the enemy, and though I was the last of the seven I didn't want to be Dopey, so I flanked around the rear in my T34. I'm doing fine when One Tank Has Spotted Me. Naktl. We exchange shots and this time here he comes after me. It's on like Donkey Kong. I swing wide and go toward a ruined block house and we circle it, each chasing the other, though there's no way I'm going to win this race in my heavy. So I swing my gun to the rear but keep moving forward hoping he'll think it's still pointing north. He comes around the corner, sees the giant gun and swings wide but I plant my Bonnie and Clyde revenge shot into his Panther II. 

We haven't platooned yet, but it should be interesting. I'm looking forward to it!

And speaking of the T34 premium, I gotta say I love this tank. It's brutal and it loves to be thrown into a brawl; it would be a sin to camp with this magnificent beast.

Believe me some fist shaking was going on over here on that second map.  Panther, Panther burning bright.

_ENO_ #330 Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:40 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Had a good run on the IS8 tonight. I'm getting used to it and may be downright dangerous with it. Here we go!

love your avatar Sioux- btw

Str8UpJack #331 Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15138 battles
  • [III-P]

View Postyjamesy, on 12 August 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

I want to give a hearty shout out to Naktl for platooning down to  a Tier 5 tank for about 4 or 5 games Sunday night.  It was my first time using Teamspeak and an overt platooning attempt made a huge difference to my score.   Plus it was a lot more fun.  

I also want to thank Eno for helping me un-invert my cranial-anal inversion when I couldn't get the password correct.  

So, if you haven't gotten TS3 yet. Do it.  If you're in or near Tier 5, look me up.  My call sign is yjamesy.  

I am working through T5 German Heavies at the moment so I'll look for ya... harder to find guys that are still working on mid-tier tanks at the moment.  

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

Val_Darrant #332 Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17627 battles
  • [III-X]
There is an app we can use called kakao. Invitation only and each room has it's topic.  It's a messenging application like kik but no participant size limit.  I have used it before to collaborate on different games.  Did I mention kakao is free :-)

"Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts"

putnamJavi #333 Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles
What he said!

View PostENO75, on 12 August 2014 - 12:23 AM, said:

To add a little remark about this- Concep... you've been really helpful to the guys on TS3 and I am hearing good feedback about that on a regular basis. If we don't thank you enough on TS3, or in here, I just thought I'd throw one more quick salute in your direction. 

siouxinpa #334 Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:05 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View PostStr8UpJack, on 12 August 2014 - 07:31 AM, said:

I am working through T5 German Heavies at the moment so I'll look for ya... harder to find guys that are still working on mid-tier tanks at the moment.  

Ive got some mid tier TDs that I use as a break from the heavy grind.

Lephturn #335 Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22174 battles
  • [III-S]

Love the idea about doing studies on various thing. I'd like to keep it clan-only and I'd prefer something separate that has more permanence than this forum.  I like the suggestion back a page about GroupMe - sounds like just what we need with iOS, Android, and even text support given this is a mobile game.

What would really help me is map studies - strategies and tactics for winning on various maps in various situations and with different styles of tanks. This would be more valuable than studying particular tanks at his point because it can be applied at any tier or type of tank and every one of us will get value from it. I'd love (and will contribute to) analysis on maps - things like where to get hull-down with a good field of fire, where to find good cover with a good field of fire and an easy retreat path.

There is value also in studying various tanks, but I would start with the lower and mid-tier tanks because not many of us will have or be regularly facing Tier 10 tanks at this point. Some good studies of Tier 5, 6, and 7 would be very useful. Heck even T-3 and T-4 would help me right now!

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

Lephturn #336 Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22174 battles
  • [III-S]

On separate issues:

I've had a tough run - I went up the German line to the DW2 and then decided to try out the Russian line. It's crushing my win %, but I'm getting there slowly. It seems that late at night is bad - I get reamed a lot. The other team seems to play very smart and my team inevitably splits up and gets slaughtered.

I know platooning will help a lot...

So what's the easiest way to get our clan list into the game's friend list? Do I need to sit with two screens and type them all in, or is their an easier way?

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

GaryP11111 #337 Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:34 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 16839 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostLephturn, on 12 August 2014 - 09:18 AM, said:

What would really help me is map studies - strategies and tactics for winning on various maps in various situations and with different styles of tanks. This would be more valuable than studying particular tanks at his point because it can be applied at any tier or type of tank and every one of us will get value from it. I'd love (and will contribute to) analysis on maps - things like where to get hull-down with a good field of fire, where to find good cover with a good field of fire and an easy retreat path.

Interesting you should mention this. This is one of the things I'm working on for our clan.

ad triarios ventum est

"It comes down to the Triarri"

twosp2 #338 Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:49 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3894 battles
Thanks Gary! If I can be of assistance to anybody in researching anything please let me know I would be glad to help/give advice where I can.

Proud community pledge signer

Current Top Tanks: E100, T110E5, T-62A, ST-I, IS-3

siouxinpa #339 Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

Eno -- The modelling site is great info.  I've found worldoftanksguideto help a lot too.

Instead thickness of armor it shows the vital areas.

Guide:

Green : Weak Spots

Red : Engine and/or Chance of Fire

White : Ammo Racks

Blue : Driver

Orange : Gunner/Commander

LarsGarvey #340 Posted 12 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9049 battles
  • [III-Z]

View Posttwosp2, on 12 August 2014 - 11:49 AM, said:

Thanks Gary! If I can be of assistance to anybody in researching anything please let me know I would be glad to help/give advice where I can.

I echo twosp2's message—if I can be of any help with researching tanks or maps, please let me know. I'm very curious about maps, especially as I've really only done heavy tanks, and now that I picked up a SU-100Y, I'm realizing I only know a few of the good sniper spots, and if I pick up a T34, I'm going to want to know more about good hull down positions.

For tanks, I am fairly familiar with the American heavies, as I'm grinding that line now, so if anyone wants to know about the pros and cons of them, please don't hesitate to hit me here on the forum or in-game (same username both places). I'm up to T32 (and curious about picking up a T34, especially after seeing those tanks do some major damage in the right hands; that said, with their weak bodies, they're more of a liability than a Löwe in less capable hands).

Speaking of research/tank murder, does anybody here have a strong knowledge of the really nasty spots to hit certain tanks? I was up against someone last night who seemed to know exactly how to do the absolute maximum amount of damage to my T32 with each shot—blew up my engine, lit me on fire, killed the driver, etc. If it hadn't been for a few friendly teammates, I would have been toast. (Think I limped away with like 15 HP.) Would love to have a bit better knowledge of all of that, as the only things in my repertoire now are "back and sides and occasionally the lower glacis."

Community Pledge Signer

Current Tank Rotation:

M103 * T32 * T34 * T29 * SU-100Y * T-34

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users