Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

naktl #361 Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles

Here are a couple of small additions to Souixinpa's map.

These are staging areas for medium flanking.  For them to work there has to be some sort of Heavy push or holding going on in the white area.  They can also work for a faster TD.  Here is an example of a map using this route from the orange side in a TD.

Spoiler

DrWylde #362 Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26392 battles
  • [RBLN]

Lephturn, taking a peek from the tops of the berms is good and very useful intel on where the enemy is... lights up for the team.  Just don't get shot at...

IS-7, IS-4, IS-8, ST-I, IS-3, IS-6, KV-4

Obj. 268, Obj. 704, ISU-152

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

_ENO_ #363 Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Awesome screenshot idea for the maps. I've been looking for those. 

Sorry guys. I updated the computer last night and forgot to turn ts3 back on. She's rocking now! Have some inputs on FD as we'll but need a real keyboard! 

if you guys get a chance and remember can you screen the various maps and paste them or IM them to me? Or does someone already have them?

_ENO_ #364 Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

I was hoping someone would add in that top left spot Naktl. I do find when I spawn in there as a fast heavy (IS8 is great, IS3 is almost just as good) that on a roll of the dice you get a perfect step into the flanks of opponents engaged in the white zone. 

You need to get there quickly- most spawning in on orange (marked in this map) tend to head into town where you can be assured they will come into contact with the enemy at some point and get some attention. I head up to that last ruin (top left corner) and try to stay in the little trench that runs up the left side. That allows me to stay out of sight from all opposition while frequently one of my other tanks that has come over the berm can spot incoming threats for me. This helps me adjust to them before they get a chance to adjust to me and with something like the IS8, that's an important consideration since they don't do well in an ambush when surprised by other heavies of the same tier. 

Getting into that spot, you can really use terrain to your advantage and on your terms. If there is nobody there, you know that ALL enemy forces have moved into town and you need to move quickly to prevent your main body from getting creamed. Also, if you move quickly enough, you can hit them while they're all together so that they can be "surprised" together and create confusion on a broader scale. To take forces on 1 on 1 has its advantages when you're in a flanking position- however it doesn't create the mass confusion across all forces. If they're all engaged, they all break contact to deal with the threat behind them. Meanwhile forces to the front can (and do) hit them from the "new" rear. 

I've had some great success with this- but you need to be prepared for encountering the opposition in the white zone. Typically you can see this developing as you scoot up there in which case you need to commit further south to a defensible position. If you can withdraw to your main body after some harassment, then do it- otherwise... stand and fight! 

microcarnage #365 Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:20 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38777 battles
  • [III-C]

I have all of the blank maps, the only bad thing is they don't have the flag or spawn points on them but someone could put them in.  Let me see if I can upload them anywhere through my work firewall.

That was easier than I thought.... http://imgur.com/a/WRwGn

Edited by microcarnage, 14 August 2014 - 03:23 AM.

_ENO_ #366 Posted 14 August 2014 - 05:06 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles
Massive props micro... thank you! 

_ENO_ #367 Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:43 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Going to start my tank study now... this is going to be a bit of a test post to get a decent format so please bear with me. 

THE M4 EASY 8

BELOW:

I wanted to highlight some visible differences between the top tier gun and the stock gun so that you can adjust your position accordingly as you look at it visually. This is "Top tier" and "Stock" only- if there are any in between I'm not sure. In addition to the configuration of the top tier gun being shorter, notice there is a slightly different copula configuration between the different upgraded turret armor packages.

The armor thickness images below that are based on an "upgraded" top tier package.

TOP CONFIG: LEFT

STOCK CONFIG: RIGHT

View Postmicrocarnage, on 14 August 2014 - 10:42 AM, said:

I've been running this tank for a bit. As mentioned its front armor is pretty decent. I find the weekness of the tank is the tracks.  I find facing you enemy straight on works but a slight angle (not too much) allows a few more bounces. You are easily tracked from anywhere and if your opponent knows it they do it. The speed is one of the best that I've seen. Easily running the circle of death around almost any heavy. Top tier gun is decent for anything close to tier 6 but when against higher tiers it can't penetrate their front armor and you have to rely on tracking and/or circling. Great flanking tank with its speed. I did the grind to the T20 and currently grinding the E8 toward the Jackson TD. overall a fun ride with the odd airtime thrown in.

http://www.worldofta...nk_analyzer.cgi offers a really great guide on the many pros and cons of this platform. It also has a few different graphics that offer up some potential weak spots. I'm not 100% if all the detailed weaknesses shown on that page are accurate for Blitz, or if the impact / collision zones are dumbed down a bit. 

http://gamemodels3d....nks/vehicles/a5 gives an excellent run down of performance at each upgrade level. As we get into later tiers, this page may not be available to non-members. Like I've mentioned before I think the membership cost was 5 bucks- and as we get more and more familiar with the different platforms you can evaluate the value of this data for your personal use. 

Wot Guru didn't have any specific write-ups on the Easy 8... but they do have a bunch of others that I will link to when the time comes. 

I don't have any specific experience with this platform so I can't speak specifically to its performance. I will quote comments in future posts and put them all in this post. I may employ "spoiler" boxes to keep the post from getting TOO big. Looking forward to your input!

Lephturn #368 Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22174 battles
  • [III-S]

OK - so don't shoot at the glacis plate in the front I guess....

If I'm lower tier and having trouble penetrating the front of that thing is tough - so track and flank I guess.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

putnamJavi #369 Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles
Good morning old farts!

Spekulatius #370 Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 32181 battles
  • [III-S]

I ent platooning the first time with Naktk last night, using TS3. he was nice to go in the lower Tier V and VI trenches with me. Naktl is good and very agressive driver, unlike me. I do learned a few things and the win ratio was pretty good, even though I died a lot.

if someone is on the fence about trying it out, He should give it a spin  -platooning and being able to talk to each other gives the game an entirely new experience.

Community pledge signer

Str8UpJack #371 Posted 14 August 2014 - 02:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15138 battles
  • [III-P]

View PostSpekulatius, on 14 August 2014 - 10:07 AM, said:

I ent platooning the first time with Naktk last night, using TS3. he was nice to go in the lower Tier V and VI trenches with me. Naktl is good and very agressive driver, unlike me. I do learned a few things and the win ratio was pretty good, even though I died a lot.

if someone is on the fence about trying it out, He should give it a spin  -platooning and being able to talk to each other gives the game an entirely new experience.

There really is no way to stress this enough except to just repeat it whenever there is a post like this one..

Communication over voice chat, like Teamspeak, is a game changer and gives you a HUGE advantage over everyone else in the battlefield..  If you go up against a platoon using it and you're not using it  then you better be more skilled than the platooned players to have a fighting chance. 

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

microcarnage #372 Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 38777 battles
  • [III-C]
Thanks for the write up on the easy 8 ENO. I've been running this tank for a bit. As mentioned its front armor is pretty decent. I find the weekness of the tank is the tracks.  I find facing you enemy straight on works but a slight angle (not too much) allows a few more bounces. You are easily tracked from anywhere and if your opponent knows it they do it. The speed is one of the best that I've seen. Easily running the circle of death around almost any heavy. Top tier gun is decent for anything close to tier 6 but when against higher tiers it can't penetrate their front armor and you have to rely on tracking and/or circling. Great flanking tank with its speed. I did the grind to the T20 and currently grinding the E8 toward the Jackson TD. overall a fun ride with the odd airtime thrown in.

putnamJavi #373 Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:17 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

So out of curiousity, how many of us in Triarii have a T-10 already?  I played a game earlier today where we had 4 platoons, 2 on each team.  I ended up in a 1v1 which I lost. I found it kinda amusing though, too bad we can't do it consistently with more than 1 platoon.   

On a side note, I've grinded each nations line up in medium & heavy as follows: German T-5, American T-6 and T-7 in the Soviet.  My biggest concern now is credits so I can purchase all these damn tanks.  I've only managed to buy the IS atm.  Grinding the heck out of my ISU-100Y for the credits.  Still on the fence about the T34.  If any members are in these Tiers let me know and I'll gladly help out.  

Yes I know I need TS3.  I'll get it soon.  :tongue:

Edited by putnamJavi, 14 August 2014 - 06:18 PM.

Str8UpJack #374 Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15138 battles
  • [III-P]
No T10 tanks fore yet.  I figure at my rate of battles played per week, I am probably at least a week away from my Tier 9.  It's going to be a long time before I have a second tier 10  added.  

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

Lephturn #375 Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22174 battles
  • [III-S]

We should track in the list our handles, TS or not, and country/tier.

Good thing for premiums or I would still be at Tier IV! I'll get to Tier V this weekend in the German and Russian tank lines I'm pretty sure.

I have the Tier V T-25 German medium and the Tier VI SU-100Y TD. So that's the best I got so far.

I need help with the horrible Soviet T-28 - let the suffering end.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

FarmerHarv #376 Posted 14 August 2014 - 06:59 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5785 battles

I'm at one IX (M103) and two eights (Ferd & T28), and it looks to be a looong road for both the credits and exp required to get three 10s's. I tossed quite a bit of loot out to bypass most of the American TD line, and it would take at least another $100 of real money to free xp my way to tier ten with these. 

Not a bad thing to have to keep playing though, as it's a fun game/grind, and once I get to tier X I'd probably just go up a new line anyways. Maybe something Russian next. Or hopefully the Brits soon. 

gffcom #377 Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

REDACTED

• Players
  • 37317 battles
  • [SRT-]

View PostFarmerHarv, on 14 August 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

I'm at one IX (M103) and two eights (Ferd & T28), and it looks to be a looong road for both the credits and exp required to get three 10s's. I tossed quite a bit of loot out to bypass most of the American TD line, and it would take at least another $100 of real money to free xp my way to tier ten with these. 

Not a bad thing to have to keep playing though, as it's a fun game/grind, and once I get to tier X I'd probably just go up a new line anyways. Maybe something Russian next. Or hopefully the Brits soon. 

You don't want to buy your way to high tiers anyways (unless you have lots of experience on PC/XBox). In my experience, gameplay gets a lot more challenging in higher tiers... especially medium play. You want the practice.

Edited by gffcom, 14 August 2014 - 09:06 PM.

Xs: IS-7, IS-4, FV215b, T110E5, E100, E50M, Obj 140, T-62A, M48A1 Patton, FV4202, Leopard 1, Obj 268

SPARTA 

N2rock #378 Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4766 battles

I'm at Tier 6 American TD. I have really just been focusing on that single line- each tank has been fully upgraded before moving to the next tier, so each tank is elite. I'm sorta OCD about finishing a tank completely before moving on LOL. I'm in no real hurry to get to 10, so completing each tank along the way is just fine with me...  My Tier 6 will be elite soon- I'm only lacking 2000 xp to research the next tank. I kept my 4 and 5 TD's in order to play with friends that are a bit lower (but sold my tier 2 & 3 for garage space).

In addition, I have a tier 3 Medium, and the freebie premium Tier 3 Light. I have no idea how to use Medium and Light tanks, so I rarely use those- only when I play with a friend that is only a Tier 3. And when I do, I usually die very fast due to lack of strategy. So really, these 2 tanks are just for fun.

denlives #379 Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 11092 battles
No T 10s yet. I am up to t-8 with a M 26 Pershing. Only about a day away from making it elite. A few days later and I will have the T9 Patton. I am elite on all US mediums except M4a38 Sherman. Love the Pershing and T 20. I have a Lowe but rarely play it. Still thinking about the T 34, still have til tomorrow. We will see. The grind takes much longer when you move up the tiers. Maybe the worst part is being a T 8 and going up against 9s and 10s.

FarmerHarv #380 Posted 14 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5785 battles

View Postgffcom, on 14 August 2014 - 03:06 PM, said:

You don't want to buy your way to high tiers anyways (unless you have lots of experience on PC/XBox). In my experience, gameplay gets a lot more challenging in higher tiers... especially medium play. You want the practice.

I absolutely had to buy my way to T8 on the Ami TD line. If I had to grind through the M10 and M36 I would've just quit. I see many players making fine use of these tanks, but they just weren't/aren't for me and my playstyle. Same with any of the meds...just too fragile for the way I push constantly. 

The American heavies and T28/95 suit me just fine though. I just wish the rest of my team could keep all the opposition off my back when I push too far and die in a glorious hail of gunfire. I'm starting to think it might not be them Every Single Time anymore, but it might actually partially be my fault sometimes. Maybe. 

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users