Old guys thread...

• Please log in to reply
4945 replies to this topic

_ENO_ #401 Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

View Postnaktl, on 14 August 2014 - 10:33 PM, said:

I have also noticed something funny.  My aggressive style when it works has me doing 2-3k damage on many maps and ranging across the whole map.  (This kind of Dmg is normal for Twosp2 in Mediums I think, but new for me in Mediums).  One weird result of this or something else is that I am getting that thing where a team mate shoots you at the end of the match.  It happened to me four or five times last night in Mediums and I have never once had it happen in a Heavy, TD or Medium prior to this.  This was not happening before and I don't exactly understand why it is happening now.  It seems weird since it actually lowers their score and such.  I think it might be cause they don't like something about the way I am playing?  Maybe they think I stole a kill, though it was happening whether I got the last kill or not.  It might because of something I have posted here?  I dunno.  It's weird.

I'm lucky in that I don't think I've seen that happening much but I expect it it will run its course and hopefully peter out. Seems to be a wave of these idiots roaming around - hopefully they'll get bored and move on to something else. 

DrWylde #402 Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26392 battles
  • [RBLN]

Get off our lawn is fine with me... whatever the clan wants, I want.

IS-7, IS-4, IS-8, ST-I, IS-3, IS-6, KV-4

Obj. 268, Obj. 704, ISU-152

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

Val_Darrant #403 Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:57 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17627 battles
  • [III-X]
Without question I rushed rushed rushed to get to tier x. Initially I not only struggled but almost developed a dislike for the E5.  Of course some of my more challenging matchmaking did not help but ultimately my issues were/are entirely of my own making. (Ah the joys of personal responsibility)

"Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts"

_Whiplash #404 Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5779 battles

View PostDrWylde, on 15 August 2014 - 04:20 AM, said:

Used TS3 with Str8 for about 2 hours today... very useful, enjoyed greatly - headgear works nicely, love the sounds... BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!

Sorry Whip, did not know you were on TS3.  That would have been great - really could have used your coaching as we raced around...

At this point, I'm comfortable with TS3.   So, if you use it, let's platoon!

[ <<<< lookee, just went over 4,000 games!  Really hard to change stats now... ]

View PostDrWylde, on 15 August 2014 - 04:20 AM, said:

Used TS3 with Str8 for about 2 hours today... very useful, enjoyed greatly - headgear works nicely, love the sounds... BOOM, BOOM, BOOM!

Sorry Whip, did not know you were on TS3.  That would have been great - really could have used your coaching as we raced around...

At this point, I'm comfortable with TS3.   So, if you use it, let's platoon!

[ <<<< lookee, just went over 4,000 games!  Really hard to change stats now... ]

Most definitely, I probably won't be on much this week. I have my youngins until Sunday. I'll try my hardest.

I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one who's up to the task.

_ENO_ #405 Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:52 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7217 battles

Caution: Whiner post ahead! 

My IS-8 dreams are crushed... 

Yesterday morning I had a few runs with it and ish the bed in almost all of them. Clobbered... penned ... pwned wholesale. 

Thinner armour than the IS3... not fast enough to keep up with Mediums. Not heavy enough to absorb damage with the heavies... no visibility. I mean the thing is really just a potato with a turret. 

I have unleashed the beast on rare occasions and for spell even started to like it. But my love affair has been thwarted by an almost inescapable truth- the IS8 is a toad I kissed hoping a princess would emerge- and humpty dumpty jumped out in her place instead. 

putnamJavi #406 Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

ENO remember if it's stock its gonna suck.  Naktl:  I've seen it happen to others.  You can't blame idiots for doing what they do best.I'm quite impressed you've got all T-8's!  Have you thought of adding any premiums to the mix?  

PS: Loving the new sig img.

Edited by putnamJavi, 15 August 2014 - 01:11 PM.

twosp2 #407 Posted 15 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3894 battles

Keep your head up with your tanking ENO I am sure once you get quite a few games in that tank in you will start tearing it up. I know you have everything researched, or close at least, but it can take awhile to get the handle of some tanks down. Especially at higher tiers this can be difficult as you find much better quality player, for the most part, at the higher tiers.

Naktl you are dead on in how I like to play my mediums. Sometimes it does not work or rng just fails but by in large it leads to either a big/huge game for yourself or it disorients the opposing team so much they often fold. It is all about sticking your neck out at the right times and hopefully pulling it back before the sword drops. I believe I do it pretty well but I have much I can still improve on. I will be starting up one of the medium lines, either American or German, soon just not sure which way I want to go.

Proud community pledge signer

Current Top Tanks: E100, T110E5, T-62A, ST-I, IS-3

LarsGarvey #408 Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:06 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9049 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostENO75, on 15 August 2014 - 07:52 AM, said:

My IS-8 dreams are crushed... 

I'm going to echo putnamJavi and twosp2: stock tanks (and untrained crews, un-researched elements) suck. I had the same reaction jumping from the T29 to the T32, and told this to RdWillson the other night when we were rolling around. It sounds like a pretty similar situation, those two jumps (IS3 to IS8, T29 to T32)—basically the armor doesn't get much better at all, you have to learn to adapt to new weak spots (especially in tier VIII-X games), the tank is slower, the stock gun is laughable, etc.

Hang in there and treat the first 100 games or so as a learning experience. (Also, both RdWillson and I paid the extravagant sum to train the crew up to 75%, and I know I saw a dramatic difference in the way the tank played once I did.) I think my win-loss ratio was pretty sad the first 50-75 games in the T32, but now it's my favorite tank.

As far as I can tell, the first thing you really get to know about your tank when you upgrade are all of its flaws and weaknesses. It can take a while for its strengths to really come out (and usually this is dependent on upgrades, getting away from the stock gun/engine/treads, and the overall crew efficacy).

If it's any consolation, I hate seeing an IS8 on the enemy team. I know it's going to be a slog to take that machine down, if I even can.

Community Pledge Signer

Current Tank Rotation:

M103 * T32 * T34 * T29 * SU-100Y * T-34

putnamJavi #409 Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:17 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles

View PostLarsGarvey, on 15 August 2014 - 11:06 AM, said:

I'm going to echo putnamJavi and twosp2: stock tanks (and untrained crews, un-researched elements) suck. I had the same reaction jumping from the T29 to the T32, and told this to RdWillson the other night when we were rolling around. It sounds like a pretty similar situation, those two jumps (IS3 to IS8, T29 to T32)—basically the armor doesn't get much better at all, you have to learn to adapt to new weak spots (especially in tier VIII-X games), the tank is slower, the stock gun is laughable, etc.

Hang in there and treat the first 100 games or so as a learning experience. (Also, both RdWillson and I paid the extravagant sum to train the crew up to 75%, and I know I saw a dramatic difference in the way the tank played once I did.) I think my win-loss ratio was pretty sad the first 50-75 games in the T32, but now it's my favorite tank.

As far as I can tell, the first thing you really get to know about your tank when you upgrade are all of its flaws and weaknesses. It can take a while for its strengths to really come out (and usually this is dependent on upgrades, getting away from the stock gun/engine/treads, and the overall crew efficacy).

If it's any consolation, I hate seeing an IS8 on the enemy team. I know it's going to be a slog to take that machine down, if I even can.

Yep, IS8's can be a nightmare if played correctly. 

LarsGarvey #410 Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:39 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 9049 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostputnamJavi, on 15 August 2014 - 11:17 AM, said:

Yep, IS8's can be a nightmare if played correctly. 

Yeah, you basically have to take them down like mid- to higher-tier tank destroyers—if they are squared up and ready to brawl, the front of that tank is hard to cut through. I think the last time I took one down, I basically kept his attention as a Pershing snuck up beside him, then I YOLO'd right at him to keep his attention off the Pershing/take a few side shots as I got closer.

Not sure if I've taken one down 1 v 1, not unless it was already pretty wounded.

Edited by LarsGarvey, 15 August 2014 - 03:39 PM.

Community Pledge Signer

Current Tank Rotation:

M103 * T32 * T34 * T29 * SU-100Y * T-34

DrWylde #411 Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:22 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26392 battles
  • [RBLN]

Questions about how folks meet up to play with TS3:

Do you keep the TS3 app open in the Clan Lobby and wait while you play for someone to voice up?

Or, do you meet up in Blitz Chat as is currently the norm for a platoon mate, then open TS3 for match?

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

_Whiplash #412 Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5779 battles

View PostDrWylde, on 15 August 2014 - 05:22 PM, said:

Do you keep the TS3 app open in the Clan Lobby and wait while you play for someone to voice up?

Or, do you meet up in Blitz Chat as is currently the norm for a platoon mate, then open TS3 for match?

In my clan we generally just leave the app open. Everyone plays in the same lobby. If we have a lot of people in one lobby and it starts to get confusing, we'll switch channels.

I've fought countless times, yet I've never met an adversary who could offer me what we Spartans call "A Beautiful Death." I can only hope, with all the world's warriors gathered against us, there might be one who's up to the task.

naktl #413 Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:21 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18714 battles

View PostputnamJavi, on 15 August 2014 - 06:11 AM, said:

ENO remember if it's stock its gonna suck.  Naktl:  I've seen it happen to others.  You can't blame idiots for doing what they do best.I'm quite impressed you've got all T-8's!  Have you thought of adding any premiums to the mix?  

PS: Loving the new sig img.

I have most of the Premiums and have played some of them a lot.  I particularly like the T2 Light, the T-25, SU-100Y and the the Lowë, but the best credit/exp generator seems to be the T34.  It is also fun to play.

View PostDrWylde, on 15 August 2014 - 09:22 AM, said:

I sometimes keep TS3 open and sit in lobby.  If there is a platoon in the lobby I go to one of the rooms and ask the lobby platoon to send anyone along.  I also sometimes use the in game chat first to check in, or to let someone know I am playing, but can't platoon.

siouxinpa #414 Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:26 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View PostDrWylde, on 15 August 2014 - 12:22 PM, said:

I used to leave it open after I started using TS, but spent way too many hours hanging out by myself in a chat room. Now I just msg in game then open up TS.

= Proud signer of the Community Pledge =

DrWylde #415 Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26392 battles
  • [RBLN]

Ok, thanks guys!  I'm going to hang out in the Triarii Lobby all day... want to rumble?  I can do Tier 7 through 10 tanks, your choice.

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

siouxinpa #416 Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

I'll be there in a half hour, have to pick up my daughter from art camp @ 2, then the rest of the day is mine!!!

_Whiplash #417 Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5779 battles
One of the better games from the adventures with DrWylde last night. Definitely was a great time. (I know he didn't do much damage but it wasn't his fault. He got caught in a bad place.)

putnamJavi #418 Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18946 battles
There's a separate post about MFI controllers.  I had no clue what it was, I had to look it up.  I'm still blown away by being able to livestream the game from ipad/iphone to my bigscreen via Appletv.  :amazed:

siouxinpa #419 Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 3096 battles

View Post_Whiplash, on 15 August 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

One of the better games from the adventures with DrWylde last night. Definitely was a great time. (I know he didn't do much damage but it wasn't his fault. He got caught in a bad place.)

How do you bounce that many shots in a medium?

_Whiplash #420 Posted 15 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5779 battles

View Postsiouxinpa, on 15 August 2014 - 06:56 PM, said:

How do you bounce that many shots in a medium?

Come again?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users