Matilda Survival 101 for Beginners REVISED

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

tcamp48 #1 Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 35429 battles
  • [III-Z]

A revised post that for now, will remain the way it is, with no further updates  ~ 04/22/2017 )

I still think the British tier IV medium, the Matilda, is always evolving in it's gameplay attributes, being one of the toughest, lower tier tanks to play. I welcome all questions and I hope this helps all that are new to this tank. Tankers note: This is strictly for the tier IV Medium Tank.

IN THE BEGINNING...

Important Matilda terms ~ (more will be added from time to time.)

1. CANNIBAL SET SCENARIO: The Matilda facing itself in battle.

2. CAP GUARD SCENARIO: The Matilda as the lone sentinel, guarding the Base, Flag or commonly known as the Cap Circle.

3. HIGH GROUND RULE: The safest elevation for the Matilda driver to operate effectively.

4. MONKEY ON YOUR BACK SCENARIO: An inevitably faster enemy tank that has gotten behind your Matilda with their front and   their gun against your backside and trapped you. There is almost no escape from this scenario unless you're a proven Matilda driver.

5. TILDATOON: Two Matildas acting as one, coupled, fighting force.

6. TILDA WUSHU: Doubling your turret traverse speed.

7.  WISE OWL SCENARIO: Engaging an enemy that is right on your backside, using your rear facing, constantly firing gun to give them pause and let you escape.

At first sight it’s not very imposing at all. It’s a squat little turtle of a tank that seems very unassuming that many find difficult to play, namely because of the speed. It’s got a 174 hp engine and is listed in the Wiki having a top speed of 24 km/h, though I don’t believe most tankers will see that very often, I know I don’t, but the beauty of the Matilda doesn’t rely on it’s speed as with it’s tier IV light tank counterpart, the Covenanter. 

It’s got hull armor consisting of 75/70/55 mm, (front, sides, rear) and turret armor of 75mm all around. HP at max are 590, formidable for a tier IV. In my experience facing it’s tier IV rivals, it can bounce most shells with ease, though that doesn’t mean it can’t be taken on and destroyed like many say. The Matilda has to be very wary of any tier V tanks. It will take you awhile to know which tanks to be most afraid of.

Here are, listed by class, some common Matilda enemies that I’ve faced. The most common that come up in the MM in my experience.

HEAVY TANK enemies:      KV-1, T1 Heavy, Churchill 1, B1, BDR G1B

MEDIUM TANK enemies:   M3 Lee, M4 Sherman, Matilda, Matilda BP, Chi-Ha, Chi-He, Chi-Nu, Pz. IV Anko SP, Pz.Kpfw. IV Ausf. D 

LIGHT TANK enemies:      Crusader, Covenanter, A-20, Ke-Ni, Ke-Ho, Luchs, Leopard

TANK DESTROYER enemies:     Hetzer, M8A1, Wolverine, Stug III G, Alecto, AT 2, Pz. Sfc. Vlc.

There are others that the Matilda could face, but as said, these are the most common, dangerous tanks in my average matches. Some, you may have to worry about more than others, but it’s all in the way you play the Matilda that can keep you alive. (Tanker's note: With the advent of the new German Light tanks, namely the Luchs and the Leopard, tiers IV and V respectively, the Matilda needs to carry at least 15 rounds of APCR. They are far quicker than the Matilda and very dangerous when fully maxed out. Stay with the group, use prammo (premium ammo) if need be and you'll have a better chance at staying alive and dispatching these light demons. 

Survival tip #1 ~ Learn to make the Matilda move for you and not against you. Most tanks that want to directly attack the Matilda will try and COD you, (Circle of Death). Basically driving circles around you, while shooting at your vulnerable areas. Backtracking a little, I say, (the tanks that want to directly attack you, as opposed to those that sit and stare at you while firing. 

These are things to remember in a COD situation. 

1: Don’t try and keep up with them via turning your turret to follow them as they circle around you numerous times. I’ve seen this over and over in beginner and novice Matilda drivers. It’s a sure recipe for death. The Matilda’s turret is far too slow to keep up with a COD from any tank. Attempting this, you'll be lucky to get any on target shots off at all. 

a.) TILDA WUSHU or  DOUBLING YOUR TURRET TRAVERSE SPEED ~ The Matilda, as stated, has an incredibly slow turret. The only way I know of, to increase it's turning speed is to turn the Matilda in the same direction that you're turning your turret. It really depends on the battle situation that you're in, but the need for this usually happens in close engagements with more than one tank. Not only going forward but also more quickly in reverse, which will probably be more often than not.  Say that you have an enemy tank on your immediate left and it's a one shot vs one shot situation as to who perishes and who is victorious. At the same you start turning your turret toward the enemy, you would immediately back up and turn your tank's rear to the right, literally doubling the speed of it's traverse to focus fire on the enemy as your gun moves with an already turning Matilda. It really does decrease the time it takes to aim and score a hit on your enemy. Practice this constantly. The Matilda is capable of performing a "dance of death" as you fend off incoming reds, especially in a COD situation. (Tanker's Note:  It's a rather simple technique that many tankers do without knowing, but I'm mentioning this here and now so that you're aware of it and that you can pull it out of your weapons cache any time you need.  Keep this mind.)

2: Don’t sit still while they try to circle you. This is also something I’ve seen over and over and the outcome is always death. The Matilda can move, so make it move to your advantage, it’s the only way to escape that situation. (Follow TILDA WUSHU rules here.)

3: Make the right moves. The best way to keep up with a tank that is trying to get to your backside is to back up. Yes, go in reverse, but not just straight back. If the enemy tank is circling you on the right, back up but move your butt to the left, basically keeping your gun pointed at him and keeping your backside away from his gun. Same goes in reverse, if he’s trying to circle you on the left, you back up and turn your butt right. This way, you have a better chance at shooting his side and you keep your vulnerable backside away from his gun. This maneuver has saved me countless times and allowed me to destroy my enemy and survive. (Follow TILDA WUSHU rules here.)

Survival tip #2 ~ This is just common sense for any tank but especially the Matilda. Always keep your front pointed at the enemy. Yes, the Matilda’s armor is excellent, but as with most tanks, it’s sides and back are the most vulnerable. Do your best here. When fighting multiple tanks as with the “cap guard” scenario which I find myself in quite often, you need to be able to defend against 2-4 incoming tanks on average. The Matilda being at the cap is comparable to enemy bees converging on you, (the flower). They know you’re slow and think it’s an easy kill. Do your utmost best to keep your backside in the opposite direction of the enemy group. Try not to back up against a wall or object though, (ala Fort Despair). The Matilda needs room to maneuver and despite the obvious protection of a solid wall behind you, you wont be able to react fast enough to side attacks when you can't turn your tank and you have a slow turret. You're better off being able to react with enough room, even if it's slowly. AVOID THE "MONKEY ON YOUR BACK SCENARIO" AT ALL COSTS!

1. Escaping the MONKEY ON YOUR BACK SCENARIO: If you find yourself in this situation, which you will from time to time, you can be assured of it, there is a way to escape, you just have to be diligent and not panic. I've found that many lower tier tank drivers don't capitalize on obvious opportunities to dispatch an enemy, especially one that can think their way out of a life or death situation. The Monkey on your back scenario encompasses two things. 1. You've let an enemy red get behind you.  2. You haven't been able to shake them and they manage to get right on your backside, literally having their gun and tank touching your fragile behind. Not good. Most of the time this will end in disaster for your poor Matilda unless you can out think them. First things first. Obviously, you need to move and try to shake them. The best course of action is to again move forward but turn either left or right and try to gain any precious distance you can. Then, if you do, immediately back up right or left, essentially trying to at least get your side parallel with the enemies' side. (Don't try and outrun them, this most important; the Matilda is far too slow. You'll die tired.) If this can be accomplished, then you have a fighting chance to at least pen their open side which is usually more prone to damage than their front. Another way to do this is to take advantage of obvious obstacles on the map. In Fort Despair for instance, there are rocks and ruins to try and use to your advantage. If you can angle yourself close enough to one of these obstacles while you're trying to shake them, it may limit the enemies' mobility just enough for you turn your tank around and go head to head, giving you the advantage of equal ground. Lastly, if the aforementioned maneuvers don't work, then go forward, away from them as fast as you can and turn your turret completely backward and fire upon them. This is the WISE OWL SCENARIO. I've done this many times with success and it will possibly make them think twice about pursuing you while they're also now taking damage from your backward facing gun. The Matilda's rate of fire is intimidating and if you have enough hit points left, allowing you to keep firing many shots at them, the enemy tank may stop to avoid taking damage, giving you much needed room to quickly turn on them with your frontal armor. If you are very low on HP though, your enemy will probably sacrifice some damage to destroy you, but it's worth a shot. 

During all this, you will undoubtedly be taking hits and damage. Keep your wits about you and don't panic. Stay the course of these strategies and you will have an excellent chance of coming out on top.

Survival tip #3 ~ When facing groups of tanks, in particular concerning the "cap guard" scenario, the Matilda excels at fending off multiple threats at the same time. The Matilda's armor allows extra time for you to be a little discerning when it comes to your targets. Obviously, when 2-4 tanks are firing upon you, take out the reds that are way down on HP first, OR choose the tank that has the most dangerous gun. Example: The KV-1, has a nasty gun that can whittle down the Matilda in no time. There are plenty of instances where I've face a KV-1 and let other tanks fire upon me and not had to worry about it. A tank like the Covenanter or similar tanks will bounce shells off you all day. Let the lesser tanks take their shots at you while you dispatch the KV-1 or similar threat tank. Make a point to get to know which tanks are a dire threat and choose your targets wisely. This is most important.

Survival tip #4 ~ The right gun for the right job. The Matilda is unusually gifted with high ROF. (Rate Of Fire) ~ You just need the right gun. You have three to choose from.

Here is the list:

OQF 3-inch Howitzer

QF 2-Pounder Mk.X

QF 2-Pounder Mk. X-B

All APCR shells on hand are now necessary, if you choose the QF 2-Pounder Mk. X-B or an ample amount of HEAT shells for the Howitzer. My mind was changed on adding APCR to the magazine inventory on the Matilda when I faced an AT 2 platoon and it came down to my Matilda and the two AT 2's ending in a draw in Oasis Palms. I couldn't penetrate their armor from the front and not easily from the sides. This of course will affect credits won or lost. So....choose your shells wisely. The newer German light tanks are of course...deadly. 
Continuing on....the Matilda has an outstanding rate of fire. Small damage with each shell, but compared to the ROF of other tanks, it's comparable to a machine gun in a sense. Most of the Matilda's fierce reputation comes from the high ROF of the QF 2-Pounder Mk. X-B. Enemy tanks don't get a break from it and will often back away in anticipation of it. If you do decide to use the Howitzer however, take advantage of good cover as using it will take away from the X-B's high ROF. It has also been suggested from a very reliable source that does run the DERP gun, that using HEAT the majority of the time with the Howitzer is a sound and unexpected strategy. (Howitzer tip credit ~ Lephturn)

Survival tip #5 ~             Consumables:
                                                  Auto Fire Extinguisher, 
                                                  First Aid Kit
                                                  Repair Kit.

Nothing fancy in the way I play or supply my tank. Feel free to use the Multi-purpose restoration pack, the pudding and tea and the adrenalin at your discretion, though I never really have need for these items. 

Equipment:
                                                    Medium Caliber Tank Gun Rammer
                                                    Vents
                                                    Enhance Gun laying Drive

There are others that you could equip yourself with, but these work for me. 

Provisions:
                                                    I only ever use the "Protective Kit." 15% protection to the crew from injuries, 10% to speed of module repairs, 20% to fire protection and 10% to ammo                                                       rack and fuel tank durability. More than enough to help you throughout the battle. The Standard Fuel and Tea don't concern me at this point. Save your                                                     credits.

MATILDA VS. MATILDA WARFARE ~ or the CANNIBAL SET SCENARIO:

A question that may have come to mind while you've been reading this. How do I defend against and emerge victorious over the tank that I'm driving? That being the Matilda itself and to a lesser extent, the Matilda BP or the Matilda IV. For now though we'll concentrate on battling the one and only tier IV Matilda. 

Before a match begins, I always check to see where I am on the food chain, so to speak, not unlike any match really but especially my Matilda battles. I specifically look for .......you guessed it, ...other Matildas on the enemy team. Contrary to the point of this guide, I consider my own Matilda....a Matilda hunter/killer. I constantly wish that I could put stamped victory kill marks on the side of my own Matilda with "Tildakills", as I like to call them. This obsession I have with hunting my own kind, led me to writing this guide, because it's far too easy to kill other Matildas out there. It's comparable to being behind a blind in the African Savannah and studying wild animals on the move. I've noticed the mistakes, the weaknesses and the patterns of inexperienced Matilda drivers just by watching them...constantly.

As stated in the tips above and in the map hints below, there are standard rules to go by, to guide you along in your steps to a higher Win Rate, Hit Rate and Survival rate, though I'm not overly as concerned with surviving as long as the outcome is victorious. BUT....there are always alternatives to rules, and when it comes to facing other Matildas, if you can, you need to seek them out and destroy them first. The majority of the time, the Matilda's armor will keep it alive well into the match, even if the driver is inexperienced. Your job is too make sure it's hit points steadily go down while your HP stays green. When playing against other Matildas, I'm always keeping tabs on their progress via the mini-map. Even if I can't see them, I'm devising ways to get to them, flank them, spot them, etc...

As in Chess, when battling another Matilda, you need to stay 3-4 moves ahead. Forward thinking. Track them as if they were prey. Visually at first with the mini-map then if you have the chance, find a way to pounce on them. All this while at the same time, keeping the cap close if you can. Don't forget the "Cap Guard Scenario". 

When firing upon another Matilda with your own, there are a multitude of weak spots. They are fairly easy to see in sniper mode but if you aren't overly familiar with the anatomy you can access the WOTB armor inspector. Fortunately, the Matilda is easily penetrated by it's own kind. 

Tanker's note: When fighting another Matilda, always know what they are doing, where they are doing it and get the jump on them before they do the same to you. Catching them by surprise with a sneak attack is your first, best strategy, especially if you see them engaging one of your teammates. Look for this and plan it out. Do this and the majority of the time, you are assured a victory. When you are facing a match where you must face other Matildas AND keep tabs on the cap, the CANNIBAL SET SCENARIO" kicks in. Do your best to follow it to the "T", and you help your team, two fold. The Matilda is versatile, but is most valuable against itself.

MATILDA TEAM PLATOON ~ or simply TILDATOON

Now this is most fun. The Tildatoon. Two Matildas acting in unison for the 1, 2 punch. By itself, the Matilda is a beast; the Queen of the Battlefield, but with two, traveling in a small paired wolf pack, this is can be very, very lethal. The Matilda's high ROF, is now doubled. Enemy tanks will not be able to respond easily provided you are with an experienced driver who can shuffle with you, back and forth, trading off shots at the enemy. There are two ways you can do this. Both can use the QF 2-Pounder Mk. X-B and rip into the enemy as an amazing machine gun tactic or (as was suggested by Tank Boom host, Lephturn),  one can use the QF 2-Pounder Mk. X-B and the other, the OQF 3-inch Howitzer. This will be unexpected and quite effective. The high ROF of the Mk. X-B, coupled with the Howitzer firing HEAT...well, let's just say, your enemies will fall rapidly.....BUT....in order for this to work, you and your partner must act as one and cooperate together. Roam the map as one and double team all before you.

MAPS ~ The maps section is no longer being updated, but please do study what is here. 01/15/2017. Tcamp48

Vineyards: 

The vineyards map should be divided into two safe sections for the Matilda. The ruins and the city proper. Flat ground is the safe high ground on this map. In my opinion, keep your tank out of the vineyards themselves. The Matilda is classified as a medium but it’s handling isn’t as reliable in the no-man’s land outside of the paved surfaces. If you’re caught alone, don’t let it be in the grapes! Also, keep away from the water ways. This is a Matilda must for any map. You want to be able to move, this is why the city buildings are a perfect setting for peek-a-boom engagements and getting out of a tight situation. The Matilda’s rate of fire will be also be especially helpful in this setting.The preferred gun for this map is the QF 2-pdr Mk. X-B. The terrain isn’t the best for the Howitzer in my humble opinion. Not that you can’t “point blank” the derp at someone and still do major damage, but in close quarters fighting, you’ll need a high rate of fire for doling out the punishment and the intimidation factor that it brings. Concerning the cap circle, in this map, it's not a priority for me. Taking cover from incoming fire is. ~ As always, stick with the group for the majority of the match and look for opportunities to take advantage. You’ll need to keep your head on a swivel in Vineyards, situational awareness is key.

Canal: It's taken me some time to go over this map as the terrain is vastly different from the other maps. It's a little "Dead Rail" and a little "Rockfield". You have to employ a little difference in strategy as your line of site is greatly obscured, moreso than any other map. There's only one long straight away along the rail road tracks but that too, does have some obstacles as well, i.e. wrecked rail cars, small structures, etc... There are 2 EXTREME DANGERS that the alert Matilda driver must not fall into. 1. Do Not Go Into Town or anywhere by or On the bridges! There is no room to maneuver in town and with faster enemy tanks, you'll need the most room available and that is definitely not in town. At the beginning of the match you may be able to play peekaboom by the town buildings for a minute or so and with a little relative safety if you're top tier, but hang back and play support. Let the action unfold as it will and constantly check the mini map. Faster medium reds can easily traverse the outer edges of this map and flank you before you know what hit you. Also in the center of town is the middle of the canal system and 2 bridges that cross it and one lone bridge toward the map edge, opposite the rail ways. Don't let yourself get caught anywhere near these bridges, especially in town. There are 3 main dangers in this. Firstly, if you're on a bridge, you could essentially be a casualty of crossfire between your teammates and the enemies. There's no room to maneuver AT ALL. You're slow and cant escape the shells coming your way. Secondly, If you go to turn on the bridge, you could fall off. There are no rails to protect you. This of course will cause major damage to your tank. A bad thing. Thirdly, and perhaps the worst danger, do not willingly venture into the canal itself. This, for the Matilda is almost certain death for two reasons. You don't have the high ground and you have no room to move around. The Canal map has great mounds of Earth that surround the canal system and they are perfect for enemy snipers to rain down death on your poor little Matilda.  

The Matilda's strength in this map comes from playing support and sticking with at least 1 or more tanks. The road way angling around the Earth mounds provide great coverage for peekaboom fighting. This aspect along with staying with a group of teammates provides the best chance of you surviving and taking out the enemy. But beware Matilda driver, as with the desert.....do not get caught alone in Canal. It's easy for the reds to crawl over the Earth mounds and swarm down upon you. There's a great chance you won't even see them at all....so, as stated ~ Play support, stay with a group, avoid the town / bridges and don't ever go into the canal unless for some strange reason, you need to cap. Yes, the cap circle is (in the canal). So far, in my experience, I've never seen anyone win on this map by capping. This is the only map, due to the cap circle's elevation in the canal itself, that the "Cap Guard Scenario" should be avoided. Don't rule it out, but keep your movements and fighting to the roadways and use the angles around the Earth mounds to your advantage as you can. As with all maps, situational awareness rules the day. These are important default tactics but keep in mind that Canal is tricky and you will have to adapt at a moment's notice. 

Part 2: Lephturn's continued notes ~  To be more specific it is the South East corner of this map that has evolved as the best position. The reason is that it offers hills and a few buildings in the corner for cover, firing lanes into town, and is close enough to cap to stop it. The team that wins this corner has the best chance to win the map. In the Matilda this means convincing your team to go all left or right to this corner and backing them up. Your great gun with good gun depression means you can work the sides and ends of the hills to get shots and have decent cover. Do not go up on top of the hills in the Matilda. You will be spotted and summarily executed before you can get down from your elevated "please shoot me" position.

Castilla: This map can be tricky for the Matilda. Keep in mind that you have bodies of water between you and the cap which you must take into account because of the Matilda's lack of speed. Ignore the fortress up top, you won't be needed there and it will take far too long to get up that hill anyway. The high ground rule here is most important. The cap should be your focus after the first minute or so, but definitely keep an eye on what your teammates are doing since they will be out in front of you. If the enemy engages right away, no matter what side you spawn, you help them, BUT your ultimate goal at the start should be making your way to the base. Keep in mind that cap fighting here can be fierce. 2 open road ways on either side, plus you can be fired upon from the fortress and from the nearby bridge. These 4 areas should be your focus. Take advantage of the building next to the water that can shield you from fortress snipers but again, do not back right up to it. You need to be able to move. This is the ultimate example of the "cap guard" scenario.

Dead Rail: This map can be a little intimidating in the Matilda, but actually, there's a very simple strategy. Don't go into the valley and dont go up into the hills. Instead, keep yourself focused on the areas to either end of the railways. At the start, keep yourself situated in these spots that can shield you with the train cars and buildings. Definitely keep tabs on your teammates and the enemy as well but try and stick to the protection of these areas and as the action unfolds, you can pop out and fire on easy targets while being close to the cap. In this map, the cap area is the acceptable high ground and is preferred over the dips and hills in the valley.

Winter Malinovka 2:  no updates forthcoming

Mines: As with Dead Rail, stick to the areas surrounding the cap. Dont flank by the lighthouse and definitely don’t flank around the hill. Your speed is your enemy if you do this. The acceptable high ground here is the incline on either side, surrounding the cap. The Matilda driver shouldn’t be overly concerned with making the hill, let the faster tanks do their jobs that way. In this instance the Matilda is akin to a small, slow heavy. Concern yourself with spotting enemies in your view that you can just hit them in the first available weak armor seen. Let the incline be your shield as you hull down, go backwards and forwards looking for a clean shot. You will find that the “incline peek-a-boom” on Mines will reward you with high damage while keeping the cap close by. Keep a thorough watch for enemy flankers ALWAYS.

MiddleBurg 2: no updates forthcoming 

Port Bay: Again, don’t go flanking the back 40 on this map, the Matilda is too slow. The dock area is preferable unless your team forms a Lemming train and leaves you alone. Not an ideal situation on any map and you don't want to be left alone on this one. Going all the way forward to the docks and keeping your backside to the ships is a good strategy. It allows you to engage the reds and not be completely surrounded. This strategy lends itself well to fighting your way toward the cap after eliminating all enemies behind you. The “Cap Guard” scenario is especially tough on Port as you can be hit from all sides and from the hills as the enemy will have ample cover. Remember this.

Lephturn's continued notes ~ Another school of thought, "All hils, All the time!"Again, don't go back 40, but capitalize on the hills and territory above the town area and hold this real estate. This is the effective "high ground" for the Matilda should you choose this scenario but avoid being left alone as more agile tanks can run circles around you and use the ample cover to snipe at you. 

Desert Sands 2:

This new map seems much more vast than the previous and there is no "trench" to keep you below the enemy radar so to speak. Instead, we have many rolling dunes that can provide cover but beware, they can also provide cover for the enemy and much better than beforeAs with the previous incarnation, in this new Desert Sands map, when the match begins, you will spawn in the desert side as opposed to the city/villageUsually every teammate that spawns with you on that side will head out for the dunes and the open desert. I say usually, because orders may be given out for "All town" or "All desert", which will of course change the direction of battle. I've noticed many more tankers giving out beginning commands in "Desert Sands 2". So....if everyone goes all town, then that is to your advantage as the Matilda should be within a reasonable distance of the cap. If everyone goes all desert, then go with the flow, at least for the first part of the battle. You do not want to be caught alone, especially in the desert on this map, as it's far too open to effectively defend yourself, ALSO, the dunes themselves almost form alley ways of sorts that are very easy to get caught in. Lephturn's continued notes ~ Unless your entire team is going desert, go town. Ask them all to town. If you are top tier, try to get everyone to go town. Matilda + sidescrape = WIN. There are great lanes of fire in town with lots of hard cover to stay behind and use to sidescrape. The Matilda excels at it! Not only do you want to go to town, but you want to be fairly close to the map edge on the East side. That will let you cover one flank and let you control how you engage the enemy. It is best if you are supported by team mates to ensure you don't get flanked - keep an eye on that mini map. You also need to go to town in case the enemy goes desert so that you can get to cap if needed.  If your entire team goes desert your best bet is to hang back a bit and sit on top of a dune, ready to run down off of it. Use that fantastic gun to pick off targets that get spotted by your faster buddies. The moment you are spotted drop down off that dune and start trundling toward the cap area if at all possible. Take what shots you can in the dunes but head for that gap under the railway tracks and to the cap. If it all goes horribly wrong or even one lone medium or fast TD escapes, you need to be able to get in cap with 2-3 minute remaining. The rule still stands though, in my humble opinion that the Matilda, alone in the open desert is not an ideal situation despite better cover. Protection can be found though, in the much larger wrecked German Heinkel He 111 so keep that in mind, it's a great sniping vantage point if needed, much better than the Stuka in the previous map. As far as the city/village is concerned, the many numerous buildings will afford more protection than the desert dunes. So, backtracking just a little, when the match begins, as a default move, make your way to the city/village side to be nearer the cap. The many buildings provide much better opportunity to get around unseen and if you are seen, you can find cover that much sooner. There is one particular building that is an ideal place to head for; the slightly "C" shaped crescent building in the middle of town. It allows an ideal jumping point into enemy territory while keeping you relatively stealthy. It's all in the way you approach this map that can be a an advantage or a liability. I cant stress enough though, do not get caught alone in the desert. If you are the last tank remaining or most of your team is decimated, there's no one remaining to spot those enemy reds coming for you behind the dunes, and moreso than before, practice stealth until you need to stand and fight. Play support for the first part of the match, then as you need to or can, go all out on the front lines. (Tanker's note: More will be added to this map strategy as time goes on.)

Part 2 ~ Lephturn's continued notes ~ The game has evolved to be less about town and more about the desert. I no longer advocate crossing to the town side when you spawn in the desert. My call on this map is normally "all desert" and I think that has the best chance to win. The exception is if your team is much heavier and slower then all town might be the best call. You can deal with either side - just do not split if you can help it. The team that splits gets one half of the team eliminated by a unified red team who then mop up with superior numbers. If you are doing the dunes side on this map, do not go way out to the map edge - stay closer to the tracks. Use the dunes for cover but stay close enough to the middle that you can quickly move to a position with shots into the cap circle. Your Matilda should never flank around the end of the tracks in the end game, ideally you help your team win the desert side and then roll under the bridge toward cap circle - or at least use the dunes to hull down and fire into that area.

Oasis Palms 2: After having played this new incarnation a few times, I have a couple basic things that have helped me navigate this terrain and come out on top. Firstly, down the center of the map, runs the newly dried up river bed as the map below indicates, with the expanded town area running parallel to it. On the opposite side of the town is small set of buildings that most players are calling the "Mosque", so that is what I will call it from here on out. (Not only will you recognize it from it's unique architecture, there's also some fairly eerie Middle Eastern chanting to be heard. Very haunting; I like it.) Firstly, avoid going down in the river bed if it can be helped unless you are crossing over to the other side. You'll be in a trench basically and you don't want to have to climb back out in an emergency. A good sound strategy that also keeps the "Cap Guard Scenario" in place is this. Travel the center of the map and let the town be your cover. This is ideal as the new cap is right in the center of town. (Situational awareness here is key. At the cap, are multiple angles that you can be hit from, similar to Port Bay.) Continuing on, Travel just on the outside of town strip while keeping the smaller "dune hills" on your opposite side. Obviously, keep tabs on spotting from your teammates. Using the town as cover, employ the "peekaboom" technique to sneak out and take pot shots. Stealth comes in handy as all the buildings will hide you more adequately than the previous map version. Same goes for the "Mosque" side of the dried river bed. Stay between the buildings and the small dune hills and employ the same peekaboom strategy. Your teammates being faster than you will have already spotted much of the reds which makes your job of support that much easier. Stick to this but be adaptable. Tankers note: Avoid going out to the sides of the map into the desert area unless you're needed. Stick to the town and buildings, be stealthy and you will succeed the majority of the time.

Lost Temple 2: This 2nd version of "Lost Temple" is a vast improvement over it's predecessor. Both in sheer beauty in graphics but also design. Everything has been re-vamped and updated. The strategies though, for your Matilda have not changed much. Originally, I opted for cruising the middle ground at the beginning of the match, (between) the temple "pagoda" up above by the temple proper in the courtyard and the the lower wetlands below. In my humble opinion, the courtyard pagoda is the preferable destination for the beginning of the match. Firstly, because it is the essential operating "high ground" for the Matilda in this new incarnation and it can be your best protection. Using the pagoda steps for cover while firing on incoming reds cant be beat if the teams go "up". This is accomplished by sidling up parallel to the bottom of the pagoda steps making it easy to back up and move forward to take cover and fire at the same time. While the wetlands / water ways below do afford a bit more protection than the old map, aka, the bridges and rolling hills along the waterways, the high ground will always be goal one. I find that in most tier IV and V matches, teams will go into the lowlands first. I'm not sure why, but this seems to be the pattern I've seen, (but not every time.) This is good in one respect because it gives you time and allows you to study the mini map with relative anonymity as more often than not, once you reach the pagoda, you will most likely be alone or find one other enemy tank to deal with. Once you reach the high ground by the temple, no doubt, your teammates will have spotted at least 1 or more enemy tanks allowing you to devise an attack strategy. Mind you, I'm not condoning setting up a campsite up top while your teammates fight on or even worse, get slaughtered. You must devise your plan before you get up top and adapt. You may find the whole enemy team awaiting you, but, as said, this is unlikely. It is also much easier to maneuver by the courtyard than in the waterways and hills below. Try to avoid going into the lowlands but if there is no choice and have to, don't be alone. Find a teammate or two to support. Water also can be a painful death for the Matilda, so avoid it all costs if you possibly can. One drawback though, with all the pretty new graphics and new design, is the fact that there are more obstacles and buildings for your enemies to hide behind and attack you from. So be wary, keep your wits about you, support your teammates and a match on this map can be your finest hour. My best tip for this new Lost Temple.....keep a swivel on your head and be ready to switch between defense and offense more than any other map with the exception of Himmelsdorf. Part 2 ~ Lephturn's continued notes ~ It is still all about that temple area. The team that controls the obelisk platform has the best chance to win. Never go into the rivers and low ground on the flanks in a Matilda - you will get ripped apart by mediums at worst and at best you will be struggling to cross high ground in the open to make it to the temple and the cap area in the late game. The team that is in town can run the cap timer and stay in cover and wait. With your Matilda you should be anchoring one side of the Obelisk platform if you are top tier and pushing that side if possible. If your team takes the obelisk platform area and the enemy does not show up, you must take defensive positions and get in cover. That means positioning mostly on the other side of the obelisk platform waiting for the flankers to come from your own spawn area or for the enemy to drive up the hill towards the cap circle in the middle. Never position yourself on the edge of town to get shots into the hills/river flank area as you are effectively cresting a hill and an easy target. Your main job if you hold the obelisk and the red team doesn't show up right away is to work the keyboard and convince your team to stay defensive in that area. Ask a light or medium to run the cap timer but stay in as much cover as possible. If you can keep your team together and hold the obelisk area while you force the reds to come to you it gives you the best chance to win this map.

Himmelsdorf: The assessment is that the Matilda is especially vulnerable in this map. Rail side is dangerous especially because there are far too many in and outs between the rail cars for your enemies to have access to you. Try and keep from destroying the brick walls if you go rail side. Keeping yourself covered as long as possible is paramount. Going this path alone is especially precarious. Overall, learn the piles of rubble and where they are, learn the dips in the ground and how your tank can use them for cover. Learn to anticipate where your enemies will want to strike. The far side street, (straight a way), opposite the rail side, across and on the other side of the map seems to be most popular. As with any map, you need to learn the nooks and crannies of the town and Himmelsdorf is full of them. Essentially, your actions are at the beck and call of your teammates, so knowing exactly where you can safely defend and attack from is most important. The Cap Guard scenario is rarely played out because of the location of the base. It's in the middle of everything and I cant even count the lines of sight that the enemy could fire from. If you do cap, it'll be toward the end of the match when most of the reds are destroyed and you have a good chance for defending the cap. There are two good pieces of realty for protection in the center of town though. 1. There is a round dip in the ground that is ideal for going hull down, but I wouldn't stay in there any longer than you need to. Use it as a duck and cover only while you're on the move and not a main goal to fight from. 2. There's also a small jutting of brick walls that have proven useful in the "Peek-a-boom" role. Again, don't make this area a main goal to fight from as you are far too accessible to enemy shells. Basically, play support, stay with the group and take advantage when you can. (Tanker's note: Know this; this map is a faster tanks dream as far as getting around. Long straight-a-ways that make it very easy for a quick enemy tank to get from one side of the map to the other in very little time and get right behind you. You MUST be a team player more than any other map in this tanker's humble opinion.)  Lephturn's continued notes ~ Always heavy alley. Matildas need to use the cover and hull down options available on the side opposite the train tracks. The Train tracks area and the middle are far too dangerous for the Matilda as it is way too easy to be flanked and caught in a crossfire. The heavy side of the map has buildings and rubble piles to use for cover and side scraping, as well as the ability to protect one flank using the map edge. It's also where the meta of this game has been going lately.  Of course if you spawn on the rail side and your team is very medium heavy you might have to go that way - and if you must go rail side go right up against the map red line. Always put yourself in a position to cover one flank completely. Stay close to buildings and other obstacles you can use for cover and that you can back into to prevent being circled.

CopperField: no updates forthcoming

Fort Despair: A good map to make use of buildings for cover. The ruins provide ample shielding and you won’t have to back straight up against them to make use of their protection. The ruins are all around and you will be blocked from the enemies view more often than not. This is a map where the concern for high ground and staying close to the cap are not considerations. You will always be within reach of the cap when you need to get there. The “cap guard” scenario can be as dangerous as in Castilla though. You are on a rise, your view is partially blocked and there are 4 angles you can be hit from. Fortunately there are some ruins to use as cover. Use your own judgement but as with most all of the maps, don’t cap right away.

Rockfield 2: 

I’ve noticed that in most battles on the new Rockfield, going right OR left is the preferred direction at the start of the battle. It used to be the highground only, but fortunately, we are afforded more options with the new map. Myself, I have no preference either way as long as the destination isn’t straight down the middle. Here are some things to take into consideration. Team play in this version is much more important. With the new terrain comes more cover and many more passage ways for enemies to slip by your defenses. It’s fairly easy to creep around in stealth mode if you stay out of the center cap area.

Your Matilda must not be caught alone. There’s more cover but less room to move. Stick to the safer high grounds by the bunker or the opposite hill. Situational awareness is key as there is rarely a flat piece of ground to maneuver on. 2 key dangers ~ Watch out for faster tanks flanking your position/team. The new Rockfield is ideal for quick lights to get the jump on you and you won’t even see them coming, the terrain being what it is. Also, be on high alert for TD’s firing from the either high ground. Being unaware and caught in the middle of the elevations is obvious suicide. Mini-map observation is a must while you follow the main body of your forces to whichever side they choose. Support is your role here, while hopefully, faster, stronger tanks lead the attack and spot for you. Ignore the cap for the majority of the match as there’s really no cover to speak of. Strategy and teamwork is key. 

Black Goldville: On this map, even with the new update in 2.9, I like to venture into the middle ground. Neither the caves nor the town area. I find that I can get up to the caves and the field easily if needed, plus I'm able to get to the cap and the town quickly as well. In this way you can be most effective. The map provides decent cover and maneuverability. The “cap guard” scenario is most fun here as it is in the middle of the main road way and between the town and the hills in front of the caves. Good practice for Matilda handling.

Falls Creek: no updates forthcoming

Mirage: A straight forward map for the Matilda. Very similar in game play to Rockfield, Oasis Palms and Desert Sands. You've got a little of both terrains, desert and rolling grassy hills. 1st thing that comes to mind upon spawning is don't go near the waterfall. Yes, it's pretty and if you can get up there with two or three of your teammates, then you stand a chance of taking the otherside, BUT, beware the crossfire coming from the far side of the water. The enemy can get to their side of the falls at about the same time you can get to yours, which leaves you vulnerable for potshots taken from at least 3 different areas around the buildings. My inclination is to either do one of two things. 1. Take the hill in the center, while keeping cover and taking shots at the  reds that decide to go for the waterfall or are remaining on the other side of the hill. This will give you useful terrain to hide behind and play peekaboom with, letting you advance toward the enemy middle. 2. or...you can all go beach, using the natural slope of the sand and building cover to conceal your advance on the enemy flank. The school of thought here, is to avoid the waterfall "trap" and stay with the group. As with most rolling terrain, the Matilda is very vulnerable because of it's slow speed, so don't try to flank, EVER. This map is ideal for fast lights to catch you by surprise as well. Strength in numbers here tankers, don't venture out alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I hope this revised guide helps the beginner or Novice Matilda driver because it’s really not that daunting and it’s so much fun to drive when you know what you’re doing. I have consistently kept my WR% (Win Rate)% above 60%. Currently riding high at 63% in the Matilda. This is just a small amount of info but hopefully enough to get you off on the right foot, er...track. GOOD HUNTING!!!!!

Edited by tcamp48, 22 April 2017 - 05:21 PM.

~ Community Pledge Signer ~ [iii]

Premiums ~ M60  ~  T34 (1776)  ~  IS-6  ~  IS-2Sh  ~  T-34-85 Rudy  ~  Tankenstein  ~  T6 Dracula  ~ Kuro Mori Mine  ~  Excelsior  ~  Churchill III  ~  Ram II  ~  Pz. IV Hydrostat  ~  Pz IV Anko Sp ~ Hetzer Kame Sp ~ A-32  ~  Pz. B2  ~  T-127  ~  Ke-Ni Otsu  Proud owner of the AMX 50 B!

(No longer updated), but click the link for my guide, "Matilda Survival 101 For Beginners REVISED"!http://forum.wotblit...inners-revised/

RAMBO357 #2 Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7356 battles
  • [PNCRX]
Impressive

CakeIsLie #3 Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:35 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6495 battles
  • [IWOLF]

Who needs a guide on the most OP tank in the game :teethhappy:

Anyway, nice guide +1

Favorite tanks - T-54 SU-100Y - T-43 KV-2 M4A2E4 Jpanther II - E-25 Matilda Comet

"Never give up, never surrender!"

aramikvideo19 #4 Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:55 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4336 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Nice guide. I've got a BP, but we're still talking about a pretty similar animal and I have had the regular Matty in my garage as well. I think the gun's the biggest difference with the six pounder.

Rock field is a great example of staying on the high ground until the action takes you lower because you ain't getting back up, lol. I've learned that trying to go uphill can make you way too vulnerable, especially while under fire. That's obvious to the tankers on here, but I've seen people do it. It's ugly.

"Traditionally, Spuds love to fight. All real Spuds love the sting of battle."

I am the official beer wench of the Spuds. I may not be a unicum, but I keep the suds flowing.

tcamp48 #5 Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:00 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 35429 battles
  • [III-Z]

Much appreciated. I really do hope this can help many of the Matilda drivers out there. That and the Matilda Black Prince are two of my favorite tanks in the game. ;)

Edited by tcamp48, 07 August 2015 - 12:49 PM.

Premiums ~ M60  ~  T34 (1776)  ~  IS-6  ~  IS-2Sh  ~  T-34-85 Rudy  ~  Tankenstein  ~  T6 Dracula  ~ Kuro Mori Mine  ~  Excelsior  ~  Churchill III  ~  Ram II  ~  Pz. IV Hydrostat  ~  Pz IV Anko Sp ~ Hetzer Kame Sp ~ A-32  ~  Pz. B2  ~  T-127  ~  Ke-Ni Otsu  Proud owner of the AMX 50 B!

(No longer updated), but click the link for my guide, "Matilda Survival 101 For Beginners REVISED"!http://forum.wotblit...inners-revised/

MikeZ28 #6 Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12728 battles
  • [III-P]
Tcamp: Thank you for your time and effort, I have Matilda and like to play, just need a turbo or NOS at times. Informative post Mike Z28

Klaus_Klavier #7 Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17126 battles
  • [PURPL]
Panzer IV Ds carry a 7,5 mm gun that punches holes in Matilda's with ease (no apcr needed) and it only takes 3-4 shots to do them in

The E25 Whisperer

"Beware for those who those who stare into the abyss....lest the abyss stares back" 

Androyce #8 Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:28 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10107 battles

How to survive in the Matilda:

1. Press Battle
  2. Try not to go AFK (only makes a marginal difference in survival rate)

tcamp48 #9 Posted 28 July 2015 - 11:05 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 35429 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostMikeZ28, on 27 July 2015 - 04:09 PM, said:

Tcamp: Thank you for your time and effort, I have Matilda and like to play, just need a turbo or NOS at times. Informative post Mike Z28

Mike, anytime! Glad you're enjoying the Matilda, helluva tank! I hear ya. ;)

View PostKlaus_Klavier, on 27 July 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

Panzer IV Ds carry a 7,5 mm gun that punches holes in Matilda's with ease (no apcr needed) and it only takes 3-4 shots to do them in

Thanks Klaus, how could I forget the Panzer IV? ;) Quite right, another reason to brush up on survival!:great:

View PostAndroyce, on 27 July 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

How to survive in the Matilda:

1. Press Battle
  2. Try not to go AFK (only makes a marginal difference in survival rate)

True enough my friend. ;)

johnnyzim #10 Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19121 battles
  • [DRSI4]
Nicely done and very informative. Thank you 

herbie424 #11 Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:19 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10810 battles
  • [HJG]
Well done!  Klaus, with all due respect, the IVD is a glass canon.  The Matilda will take it out first.

WhiskeyCyclone #12 Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 17405 battles
  • [LONR]
That's a pretty long write up for a tank that has such a simple program (in my book), which is go toward enemy, aim, fire, repeat. Cover advisable but not mandatory. Get there, destroy, gracefully exit via moonwalk. 

Keep it old school. 

tcamp48 #13 Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:44 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 35429 battles
  • [III-Z]
Thank you Johnny and Herbie! Whiskey, the fact that you ended with a moonwalk, trumps my guide. ;) :great:

tcamp48 #14 Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 35429 battles
  • [III-Z]
Strategy revisions in the map hint section for OASIS PALMS and ROCKFIELD are forthcoming. I need a few more matches in these re-worked maps before I nail down sound strategies. 

Lephturn #15 Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:04 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17031 battles
  • [III-S]

Great guide tcamp!

I do a couple of things differently.

1. I run the derp. Not always, but a lot of the time. I don't run it solo but platooning with another Matilda who IS running the fast gun, the Howitzer can be very powerful. It is especially good in the Cannibal scenario if you have any cover to hide behind that negates the fast gun's ROF and DPM advantages.  Of course it means running almost all HEAT all the time, but it works. I mostly do it because it is entertaining and often unexpected.

2. Copperfield to me is very simple. Up top to fight over the high ground at the wall.  It keeps your front to the enemy and often can protect both flanks in the right spot. It has enough room to maneuver and cover to angle off of.

I don't think things have really changed much on Rockfield. Small changes, but the best plan of attack is basically the same - take the high ground as usual!

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

tcamp48 #16 Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 35429 battles
  • [III-Z]

Hey there, my friend Lephturn! :) Excellent, sage advice as always. Ironically, after running a successful, double Matilda platoon today, I started thinking about the best ways to run a Matilda team. I've been going over strategies and you're so right, the derp gun coupled with the fast gun sounds like a lethal combination. Exactly what I think this guide has been missing and really needs. I will be adding a platoon section very soon. I really appreciate the advice, suggestions and comments!

Thank you so much Leph! :D :great:

uberbrau1975 #17 Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:01 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13796 battles
Excellent write up on 'tilda tactics. For you Matilda BP drivers, I'll vouch that it does indeed apply to it as well (only slower).

tcamp48 #18 Posted 15 August 2015 - 01:36 AM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 35429 battles
  • [III-Z]

View Postuberbrau1975, on 12 August 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

Excellent write up on 'tilda tactics. For you Matilda BP drivers, I'll vouch that it does indeed apply to it as well (only slower).

Many thanks Uberbrau! Agreed, most definitely, many of these tactics will apply for the BP and Matilda IV. 

tcamp48 #19 Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:58 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 35429 battles
  • [III-Z]
In an effort to make this guide as complete as possible, I'd love to hear any and all suggestions about the tier IV Matilda or it's game play that I may have missed. Your help will be most appreciated! :great:

Edited by tcamp48, 22 August 2015 - 08:21 PM.

Jim0265 #20 Posted 23 August 2015 - 07:08 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4671 battles
  • [75TH]
Tcamp, this is valuable info for us noobs just learning and hungry for any advice and strategies we can find. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this out. For many experienced players this is probably old hat or common sense, but being new to wot blitz and not coming from any other platform, I can use as much information as I can get. I'm really enjoying the Matilda, and am starting to get a feel for the beast. This gives me some valuable tools to put in the brain, and I appreciate all the great players here that take the time to post your information and experience here. Once again thank you!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users