Matilda Survival 101 for Beginners REVISED

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Lephturn #81 Posted 13 July 2016 - 07:39 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 16343 battles
  • [III-S]

I see you have been seduced by the derp! Howitzer for the win.

I still only really like it paired with another Matilda with a fast gun, or alternately just another tank with a fast gun.

Time to pull old Matilda out of the garage and go derping. :)

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

Oicraftian #82 Posted 14 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7124 battles
  • [STR8R]

Nonsense, Matilda is stronk tenk. The entire time I drove it I'd go in a beeline towards the enemy team regardless of tier! Dakka dakka dakka!

All tank fear Matilda, Matilda fear no tank! Heil-est Matilda-est!

Matilda ist stronkest tenk of doom!

Edited by Oicraftian, 14 July 2016 - 04:31 PM.

90% of players are scrubs, 80% are incapable of making intelligent decisions, 70% don't understand they are so bad they are effectively team killing, 60% can't drive in a straight line, and~ 50% are worthless.

If your win-rate is less than 60% (unpadded) and you make an opinion other than that of what is known, you're probably wrong.

tcamp48 #83 Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 33870 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostLephturn, on 13 July 2016 - 02:39 PM, said:

I see you have been seduced by the derp! Howitzer for the win.

I still only really like it paired with another Matilda with a fast gun, or alternately just another tank with a fast gun.

Time to pull old Matilda out of the garage and go derping. :)

Definitely! I just decided to try it again after many months and it really is an unexpected blast to play derpity derp, though I've yet to Tildatoon with it. :justwait:

~ Community Pledge Signer ~ [iii]

Premiums ~ M60  ~  T34 (1776)  ~  IS-6  ~  IS-2Sh  ~  T-34-85 Rudy  ~  Tankenstein  ~  T6 Dracula  ~ Kuro Mori Mine  ~  Excelsior  ~  Churchill III  ~  Ram II  ~  Pz. IV Hydrostat  ~  A-32  ~  Pz. B2  ~  T-127  ~  Ke-Ni Otsu  Proud owner of the AMX 50 B!

Click the link for my guide, "Matilda Survival 101 For Beginners REVISED"!http://forum.wotblit...inners-revised/

tcamp48 #84 Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 33870 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostOicraftian, on 14 July 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

Nonsense, Matilda is stronk tenk. The entire time I drove it I'd go in a beeline towards the enemy team regardless of tier! Dakka dakka dakka!

All tank fear Matilda, Matilda fear no tank! Heil-est Matilda-est!

Matilda ist stronkest tenk of doom!

Agreed Oicraftian! She is still a battle field beast! :great:

Edited by tcamp48, 16 July 2016 - 06:37 PM.

Premiums ~ M60  ~  T34 (1776)  ~  IS-6  ~  IS-2Sh  ~  T-34-85 Rudy  ~  Tankenstein  ~  T6 Dracula  ~ Kuro Mori Mine  ~  Excelsior  ~  Churchill III  ~  Ram II  ~  Pz. IV Hydrostat  ~  A-32  ~  Pz. B2  ~  T-127  ~  Ke-Ni Otsu  Proud owner of the AMX 50 B!

Click the link for my guide, "Matilda Survival 101 For Beginners REVISED"!http://forum.wotblit...inners-revised/

tcamp48 #85 Posted 04 August 2016 - 09:04 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 33870 battles
  • [III-Z]
Straight forward tips for Vineyards map added. Further map updates in the works. 

tcamp48 #86 Posted 13 September 2016 - 02:56 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 33870 battles
  • [III-Z]
Further additions to this guide have been put on hold for the time being. Apparently one can reach a limit to the amount you can post, So, the map additions will have to wait. I'll probably start another related thread to attach to this one. Again, thanks for reading this guide and I hope it helps with all things Matilda!

tcamp48 #87 Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:29 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 33870 battles
  • [III-Z]

I'm finding that I don't really have the time anymore to update this guide properly and with the influx of more and more tanks with a bit more attraction for new players, the Matilda isn't as popular as it once was. So, this guide will stand as is, without any additional info. I will leave it intact for the hardcore tankers that stumble upon this tier IV gem and get addicted to it as I did.

The map sections, for the most part, are still relevant but are missing some needed updates due to size restrictions on the post. The base material on how to handle, fight in and survive in the Matilda still hold true and are worth reading if you really want to excel in this wonderful little tank. 

Thanks to everyone who commented on and added to this invaluable guide for the tier IV medium, Matilda. Special thanks go to my fellow clanmate, Lephturn. It really wouldn't have been the same without his unique insight. 

I will continue to answer any questions thrown my way of course, but it will remain as is. To all of you tankers who climb into this beast, the "Queen of the Battlefield", for the very first time, you will soon discover it has a magic all of it's own. 

Good hunting!

Edited by tcamp48, 26 October 2016 - 10:19 PM.

tcamp48 #88 Posted 15 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 33870 battles
  • [III-Z]
"Just a bump for any new players out there." 

Spekulatius #89 Posted 16 January 2017 - 03:34 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 22969 battles
  • [III-H]

Yes, the Matilda is not that popular any more. The B2 premium, which apparently was handed out in crates like candy apears to the be the sealclubber of choice and it has the preferential MM going for it over the Matilda. Both the B2 and the Matilda are slow and well armored with high ROF guns, so much of what is discussed here applies to it.

If I go sealclubbing, I don't like the Matilda at all. While it is true that your can grind whole seal teams with it, if you only get one de net opponent who uses the A-20 or the DW2, the Matilda is toast. The DW2 can shoot it right through the front, with more than 3x the Alpha damage and the A-20 can run circles around it and just COD it to just blast it through the side in a drive by shoot. I think the time has passed for the Matilda to be a tank of choice  in Tier 4.

Community pledge signer

Currently driving: JPanther II, SU-152, SU-100M, ISU-152, Obj 704, KV-1S, Victory, (-o-), T54, T-44, E75, Hetzer, Jagdtiger, T29, T34, M103, M105, IS-3, IS6, IS-8, IS-7. Chromwell B, Comet, ,Caern, Conquerer, Churchill VII, Black Prince,Tiger P, VK45.02A,B, At-15A, S35, DW2

Oicraftian #90 Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:02 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 7124 battles
  • [STR8R]

View PostSpekulatius, on 16 January 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Yes, the Matilda is not that popular any more. The B2 premium, which apparently was handed out in crates like candy apears to the be the sealclubber of choice and it has the preferential MM going for it over the Matilda. Both the B2 and the Matilda are slow and well armored with high ROF guns, so much of what is discussed here applies to it.

If I go sealclubbing, I don't like the Matilda at all. While it is true that your can grind whole seal teams with it, if you only get one de net opponent who uses the A-20 or the DW2, the Matilda is toast. The DW2 can shoot it right through the front, with more than 3x the Alpha damage and the A-20 can run circles around it and just COD it to just blast it through the side in a drive by shoot. I think the time has passed for the Matilda to be a tank of choice  in Tier 4.

The Matilda is very good at using it's armor. The Maus could learn much from her.

90% of players are scrubs, 80% are incapable of making intelligent decisions, 70% don't understand they are so bad they are effectively team killing, 60% can't drive in a straight line, and~ 50% are worthless.

If your win-rate is less than 60% (unpadded) and you make an opinion other than that of what is known, you're probably wrong.

tcamp48 #91 Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:49 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 33870 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostSpekulatius, on 16 January 2017 - 10:34 AM, said:

Unfortunately my friend, I think you're right. If there are any talented A-20, A-32, DW2 or B2 drivers on the reds, the Matilda you're driving, has a huge chance of ending up a smoking wreck. But, with that said, I do like a good challenge. I don't take the 'Tilda out much anymore, not like I used to, but when i do, it's fully loaded with APCR or on full derp mode with the Howitzer. I won't take any chances with the competition being as dangerous as it is now. 

tcamp48 #92 Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 33870 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostOicraftian, on 18 January 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

The Matilda is very good at using it's armor. The Maus could learn much from her.

Excellent point! If you know how your Matilda armor appears to other tanks and the shells they use, it gives a sizable advantage to your staying alive when you confront an enemy. 

outersketcher #93 Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:56 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9518 battles
  • [COD-R]

I was in a battle a few days ago at canals.. our team got wiped out and it was just me in my french B1 and a Matilda. Against 5 reds. EVERYONE of the reds were aiming at the Matilda. She was parked in between those two hill lines on the train track side of the map.. shooting across the canal into the reds all clustered around the bridge and town. She was wiggling and firing and bouncing shots while I moved about and tried my best to shoot into thier sides and distract them. I'd take a shot into a red and three of them would turn and focus fire on me. Sending me squealing back behind the rocks with my tail between my legs. Minus a bunch of my HP.. but I kept at it.

The Matilda, on the other hand.. relentlessly took down the entire red team.. one by one by one.

We won.

I would say that in today's battles.. the Matilda is easy-meat in unskilled hands.. but absolutely deadly in the hands of a skilled driver.

So USE the accumulated info in this thread and become one of the DEADLY Matilda drivers..

Edited by outersketcher, 11 March 2017 - 12:57 AM.

Don't be seen. Don't get hit. Choose your shots carefully. And be PATIENT! You have 7 minutes for crying out loud!
Oh.. and don't get hit.  Did I mention "Don't get hit?"... Yah.. don't get hit.

(For someone with a signature like this.. I sure get a lot of "Steel Wall" medals. Ugh.)

tcamp48 #94 Posted 26 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 33870 battles
  • [III-Z]

View Postoutersketcher, on 10 March 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

I was in a battle a few days ago at canals.. our team got wiped out and it was just me in my french B1 and a Matilda. Against 5 reds. EVERYONE of the reds were aiming at the Matilda. She was parked in between those two hill lines on the train track side of the map.. shooting across the canal into the reds all clustered around the bridge and town. She was wiggling and firing and bouncing shots while I moved about and tried my best to shoot into thier sides and distract them. I'd take a shot into a red and three of them would turn and focus fire on me. Sending me squealing back behind the rocks with my tail between my legs. Minus a bunch of my HP.. but I kept at it.

The Matilda, on the other hand.. relentlessly took down the entire red team.. one by one by one.

We won.

I would say that in today's battles.. the Matilda is easy-meat in unskilled hands.. but absolutely deadly in the hands of a skilled driver.

So USE the accumulated info in this thread and become one of the DEADLY Matilda drivers..

THIS. Absolutely proves my point that the Matilda is still a relevant tank and a dangerous vehicle if properly executed tactics and strategies are implemented. It's small, slow and unimpressive but as you say, if driven by a skilled tanker, it can wipe out the opposition. This is a perfect example of situational awareness in battle with the Matilda, while taking advantage of what you know about the maps and the adversary tanks.  +1 :great:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users