Matilda Survival 101 for Beginners REVISED

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

tlouie #21 Posted 23 August 2015 - 03:27 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9603 battles
  • [TAT]
Very comprehensive and well written, thank you!

tcamp48 #22 Posted 23 August 2015 - 05:08 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]
Jim and tlouie, thanks for the comments my friends! So glad to have been able to help a little and share the love for the Matilda. If you see me on, let's toon up and show the reds what the 'tilda is made of! :playing:

~ Community Pledge Signer ~ [iii]

Premiums ~ M60  ~  T26E4 Super Pershing  ~  T34 (1776)  ~  IS-6  ~  IS-2Sh  ~  T-34-85 Rudy  ~  Tankenstein  ~  Kuro Mori Mine  ~  Excelsior  ~  Churchill III  ~  Ram II  ~  Pz. IV Hydrostat  ~  Pz IV Anko Sp ~ Hetzer Kame Sp ~ A-32  ~  Pz. B2  ~  T-127  ~  Ke-Ni Otsu

Proud owner of the AMX 50 B!

tcamp48 #23 Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:01 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]
(Added to this guide, revised Lost Temple strategies. 09/08/2015.) :great:

Premiums ~ M60  ~  T26E4 Super Pershing  ~  T34 (1776)  ~  IS-6  ~  IS-2Sh  ~  T-34-85 Rudy  ~  Tankenstein  ~  Kuro Mori Mine  ~  Excelsior  ~  Churchill III  ~  Ram II  ~  Pz. IV Hydrostat  ~  Pz IV Anko Sp ~ Hetzer Kame Sp ~ A-32  ~  Pz. B2  ~  T-127  ~  Ke-Ni Otsu

Jim0265 #24 Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4671 battles
  • [75TH]
Just wanted to touch base and let you know I've been using these strategies with pretty good results. The Matilda is definitely a different mindset when piloting compared to most other tanks. Having some sort of game plan seems to be working, and when platooning with another player we often come out one and two. I haven't tried the Derp/machine gun tactic yet, but that's next on the bucket list. Once again awesome tutorial and thank you for taking the time to post this.

tcamp48 #25 Posted 12 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]
Awesome Jim, and you're right. The Matilda is such a different type of medium, it really does need it's own agenda and rules I think. Glad to hear about the platoon results! That 1, 2 punch with another Matilda is such an awe and shock weapon, it really can't be beaten that often. I had a game the other day where there were three Matilda's on the enemy team and two were platooned together. I was the only Matilda on my team. That particular day I was schooled by those three. I only managed to kill one of them, but I got some shots in. I wonder if they read my guide? ;) Hope we can toon soon Jim!

tcamp48 #26 Posted 13 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]
Revised ammunition choices for facing the new Brit TD's. Added 09/13/15

tcamp48 #27 Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]
Newly added strategy for Escaping the MONKEY ON YOUR BACK SCENARIO! 

Edited by tcamp48, 14 September 2015 - 03:17 PM.

Lephturn #28 Posted 15 September 2015 - 06:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17567 battles
  • [III-S]

View Posttcamp48, on 25 July 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

MATILDA TEAM PLATOON ~ or simply TILDATOON

Now this is most fun. The Tildatoon. Two Matildas acting in unison for the 1, 2 punch. By itself, the Matilda is a beast; the Queen of the Battlefield, but with two, traveling in a small paired wolf pack, this is can be very, very lethal. The Matilda's high ROF, is now doubled. Enemy tanks will not be able to respond easily provided you are with an experienced driver who can shuffle with you, back and forth, trading off shots at the enemy. There are two ways you can do this. Both can use the QF 2-Pounder Mk. X-B and rip into the enemy as an amazing machine gun tactic or (as was suggested by Tank Boom host, Lephturn),  one can use the QF 2-Pounder Mk. X-B and the other, the OQF 3-inch Howitzer. This will be unexpected and quite effective. The high ROF of the Mk. X-B, coupled with the Howitzer firing HEAT...well, let's just say, your enemies will fall rapidly.....BUT....in order for this to work, you and your partner must act as one and cooperate together. Roam the map as one and double team all before you.

Hey thanks for the shout out tcamp! Great guide to one of the most awesome tanks in the game.

I would also like to add:

Port Bay: All hills all the time. Don't go way out on the flank, but the whole team should take and hold the hills. Town is death for most teams. You can be successful if top tier using a cap guard, but if you are on the hills nearest the cap you can rush down there reasonably quickly if needed. If you are in town and the enemy is in the hills... you are going down.

Desert Sands: Agreed - trench is death.  I like to roll in the desert (when spawned out there) in the dips and low ground for cover. You'll often catch slower enemies running after your meds. Stay close to the trench so you can trundle up to the edge and help out your team if you need to. Learn the dips, ridges, and rocks to use them for cover. Don't overlook the crashed airplane - it is both hard cover and a bit of soft cover too. If the enemy has gone all desert and are fighting in the trench, you will need to be able to impact that fight.  Depending on the team mix for reds and greens you can also play the heavy game in town. If and when you need to run to cap, you can get there reasonably quickly as long as you haven't gone down into the ditch.

Lost Temple: Temple every time for me. The team needs to rally around you as the core of the team and the heaviest thing on the field in most cases. Use the buildings and the platform for cover. Don't go way around the back side, work close to the obelisk platform. Don't expose yourself to fire from the ridge across the river, stay on the far side of the obelisk platform if you can until you have whittled down the enemy team. If you must move toward cap, use cover and if you are spotted assume there is a TD or two out there on the ridge under cover with guns trained on you. When you need to run the cap timer to force them to fight (and you will) sit in cap behind a post and use the walls as cover. Do not crush the walls. Do not roll up to the edge just in case - you will get reset. Sit far enough behind the wall that you can't be easily seen or targeted and make them run all the way up the hill to shoot you. Do not move forward to the edge to try to kill an enemy or two and get reset. Stay in maximum cover with plenty of time and wait - make them brawl with you.

Edited by Lephturn, 15 September 2015 - 07:21 PM.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

tcamp48 #29 Posted 20 September 2015 - 04:01 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostLephturn, on 15 September 2015 - 01:58 PM, said:

Hey thanks for the shout out tcamp! Great guide to one of the most awesome tanks in the game.

I would also like to add:

Port Bay: All hills all the time. Don't go way out on the flank, but the whole team should take and hold the hills. Town is death for most teams. You can be successful if top tier using a cap guard, but if you are on the hills nearest the cap you can rush down there reasonably quickly if needed. If you are in town and the enemy is in the hills... you are going down.

Desert Sands: Agreed - trench is death.  I like to roll in the desert (when spawned out there) in the dips and low ground for cover. You'll often catch slower enemies running after your meds. Stay close to the trench so you can trundle up to the edge and help out your team if you need to. Learn the dips, ridges, and rocks to use them for cover. Don't overlook the crashed airplane - it is both hard cover and a bit of soft cover too. If the enemy has gone all desert and are fighting in the trench, you will need to be able to impact that fight.  Depending on the team mix for reds and greens you can also play the heavy game in town. If and when you need to run to cap, you can get there reasonably quickly as long as you haven't gone down into the ditch.

Lost Temple: Temple every time for me. The team needs to rally around you as the core of the team and the heaviest thing on the field in most cases. Use the buildings and the platform for cover. Don't go way around the back side, work close to the obelisk platform. Don't expose yourself to fire from the ridge across the river, stay on the far side of the obelisk platform if you can until you have whittled down the enemy team. If you must move toward cap, use cover and if you are spotted assume there is a TD or two out there on the ridge under cover with guns trained on you. When you need to run the cap timer to force them to fight (and you will) sit in cap behind a post and use the walls as cover. Do not crush the walls. Do not roll up to the edge just in case - you will get reset. Sit far enough behind the wall that you can't be easily seen or targeted and make them run all the way up the hill to shoot you. Do not move forward to the edge to try to kill an enemy or two and get reset. Stay in maximum cover with plenty of time and wait - make them brawl with you.

Never a problem Leph, I really do appreciate the advice and tips on this tank we both love so much!

Port Bay ~ Agreed. Going into the town proper right away is a bad thing. Too many spots to become a sniper's victim. Unfortunately most tanker's go straight to the middle of town if not the hills. The docks are preferable, to me at least, but not alone. Same goes with the hills, I always like to make sure there are friendlies close by.

Desert Sands ~ This is one thing I don't see alot of tankers do, is to exploit the dips in the sand next to the trench. Great hull down positions can be had while you keep tabs on the trench fighting and yes, at those positions, the plane crash has come in handy quite a few times. I will update my DS tips accordingly. I've always wondered though, why the game always puts the Matilda on the desert side of the map.

Lost Temple ~ This is one map that always seems to change for me concerning tips. I must've revised my strategy 3 times now concerning the gameplay. I find myself now, going more toward the court yard in the beginning and using the platform for cover. Keeping your backside to the map's edge and looking for open shots is an ideal strategy for the match opening as the reds have not had time to flank yet. Then, a move to the cap after 2/3's of the match has ticked by. Again, sage advice for me to use in updating this map. ;)

Many, many thanks as always for your continued advice and tips concerning the Queen of the Battlefield! :great:

epicheeru #30 Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:26 PM

Meme Lord of the 21st Century

• Players
  • 13298 battles
  • [501RV]
Great guide! I'm winning in that thing, but I never got a FEEL for it.

Garage: E 50 M, Jagdpanzer E 100, Leopard 1, IS-7

Premium: T34 (1776), Panzer IV. Ankō, Kuro Mori Mine, Hetzer Kame SP, T6 DRACULAHelsing, Pz4S, Glacial 112, Type 62 Dragon

AMX M4 45 Damage Record Holder!

Lephturn #31 Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17567 battles
  • [III-S]

View Posttcamp48, on 20 September 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

Desert Sands ~ This is one thing I don't see alot of tankers do, is to exploit the dips in the sand next to the trench. Great hull down positions can be had while you keep tabs on the trench fighting and yes, at those positions, the plane crash has come in handy quite a few times. I will update my DS tips accordingly. I've always wondered though, why the game always puts the Matilda on the desert side of the map.

Emphasis mine - the answer is that it is classified as a medium tank. I know that's a bit of a joke since it is the heaviest thing at that tier, but those spawn points are prioritized by the game for mediums, and it's a medium, so there you go.

Thanks for the great guide - let's platoon in our Matildas sometime soon! :justwait:

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

spamalot2010 #32 Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:59 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14880 battles

Great guide!

I absolutely love this little beast!

I run pudding, multi repair, and adrenaline with vents and rammer, so 115% crew and 10% fire rate boost with adrenaline to really get the machine gun going.

I love it when a Valentine II tries to YOLO and I put a shell into him every 1.58 seconds. seeing his tough armored tank completely crumble into death in 20 seconds is wonderful, while I take zero dmg from his bounces. Same thing applies to matildas that are distracted. it takes 22 seconds to kill them outright at this insane ROF, so by the time they realize that those hits aren't bouncing and turn to look, I've already taken 50-75% of their HP.

Edited by spamalot2010, 21 September 2015 - 08:06 PM.

dogfightmaster03 #33 Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:30 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8960 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Matilda OP!!! I can't even pen the front of the turret with the 76mm on my M4.

Anyway..... +1

f9Yj0xl.gif

"We didn't even scratch them!"

Stats Linked in Picture.

YouTube Channel

Lephturn #34 Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:41 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17567 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postdogfightmaster03, on 23 September 2015 - 11:30 PM, said:

Matilda OP!!! I can't even pen the front of the turret with the 76mm on my M4.

Anyway..... +1

I would suggest you not try to shoot at the front of the turret!  There are weak spots on the tank with less armor - aim carefully and shoot at those and you can kill it. Or - you are in a real medium with the M4 - just flank it!

Prywid #35 Posted 29 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 7350 battles
  • [III-X]
Great Tilda tutorial. I usually used same tactics as described here but found some useful methods, too. Actually, my first Raseiniai was acquired driving Matilda on Black Goldville map. My heart rate was like 200 after I had killed the last tank.

Anyway, thanks for a lot of job done. +1

AOT_Jaeger2 #36 Posted 30 September 2015 - 03:38 PM

Grand Emperor of Derpenburg

• Players
  • 11313 battles
  • [ASLAN]

View PostAndroyce, on 27 July 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

How to survive in the Matilda:

1. Press Battle
  2. Try not to go AFK (only makes a marginal difference in survival rate)

I literally won a game AFK. I lost connection and apperantly an enemy A 20 was the only one left and tried to ram kill a full health Matilda...not sure what was going on there,,,,

Garage: Nothing

Was #24 VK 30.01 (P) Player in NA, #32 in Luchs

Stats:http://www.blitzstar...com/AOT_Jaeger2

I used to be a tanker like you, so young and full of life...

tcamp48 #37 Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:27 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostLephturn, on 21 September 2015 - 12:08 PM, said:

Emphasis mine - the answer is that it is classified as a medium tank. I know that's a bit of a joke since it is the heaviest thing at that tier, but those spawn points are prioritized by the game for mediums, and it's a medium, so there you go.

Thanks for the great guide - let's platoon in our Matildas sometime soon! :justwait:

Thank you for the info on the Matilda placement. I was beating myself senseless trying to figure it out. Any time you want to Tildatoon Leph, I'm game! ;)

tcamp48 #38 Posted 30 September 2015 - 11:30 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostPrywid, on 29 September 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

Great Tilda tutorial. I usually used same tactics as described here but found some useful methods, too. Actually, my first Raseiniai was acquired driving Matilda on Black Goldville map. My heart rate was like 200 after I had killed the last tank.

Anyway, thanks for a lot of job done. +1

Well done on the Raisin Pry! Especially a Matilda Raisin, most impressive. I know that heart pounding feeling fortunately! Glad you took the time to read this and write, always glad to help and hear success stories. :)

Edited by tcamp48, 30 September 2015 - 11:31 PM.

tcamp48 #39 Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:24 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]
(Added to this guide, TILDA WUSHU or Doubling your turret traverse speed! 10/04/2015.) :great:

tcamp48 #40 Posted 18 October 2015 - 06:21 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]
Just added: Basic Strategies for "Desert Sands 2" 10/18/15. more info will be added as I get familiar with the new map.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users