• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

Lephturn #41 Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17567 battles
  • [III-S]

View Posttcamp48, on 18 October 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

Just added: Basic Strategies for "Desert Sands 2" 10/18/15. more info will be added as I get familiar with the new map.

My suggestions:

Unless your entire team is going desert, go town. Ask them all to go town. If you are top tier really try to get everyone to go town. Matilda + side scrape = win. There are great lanes of fire in town with lots of hard cover to stay behind and use to side scrape. I know you don't really NEED to side scrape in a Matilda most of the time, but oh boy is it good at it.

Not only do you want to go to town, but you want to be fairly close to the map edge on the East side. That will let you cover one flank and let you control how you engage the enemy. It is best if you are supported by team mates to ensure you don't get flanked - keep an eye on that mini map. You also need to go to town in case the enemy goes desert so that you can get to cap if needed.

The other reason you want to go to town is that the desert is a deathtrap for a Matilda. Faster and more mobile enemies can use the dunes to snipe at you from multiple angles. You can easily get trapped between the dunes in a shooting lane that you can't get out of. There are way to many opportunities for enemies to flank you - it is just way too dangerous. If your entire team goes desert your best bet is to hang back a bit and sit on top of a dune, ready to run down off of it. Use that fantastic gun to pick off targets that get spotted by your faster buddies. The moment you are spotted drop down off that dune and start trundling toward the cap area if at all possible. Take what shots you can in the dunes but head for that gap under the railway tracks and to the cap. If it all goes horribly wrong or even one lone medium or fast TD escapes, you need to be able to get in cap with 2-3 minute remaining.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

tcamp48 #42 Posted 25 October 2015 - 05:09 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostLephturn, on 20 October 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

My suggestions:

Unless your entire team is going desert, go town. Ask them all to go town. If you are top tier really try to get everyone to go town. Matilda + side scrape = win. There are great lanes of fire in town with lots of hard cover to stay behind and use to side scrape. I know you don't really NEED to side scrape in a Matilda most of the time, but oh boy is it good at it.

Not only do you want to go to town, but you want to be fairly close to the map edge on the East side. That will let you cover one flank and let you control how you engage the enemy. It is best if you are supported by team mates to ensure you don't get flanked - keep an eye on that mini map. You also need to go to town in case the enemy goes desert so that you can get to cap if needed.

The other reason you want to go to town is that the desert is a deathtrap for a Matilda. Faster and more mobile enemies can use the dunes to snipe at you from multiple angles. You can easily get trapped between the dunes in a shooting lane that you can't get out of. There are way to many opportunities for enemies to flank you - it is just way too dangerous. If your entire team goes desert your best bet is to hang back a bit and sit on top of a dune, ready to run down off of it. Use that fantastic gun to pick off targets that get spotted by your faster buddies. The moment you are spotted drop down off that dune and start trundling toward the cap area if at all possible. Take what shots you can in the dunes but head for that gap under the railway tracks and to the cap. If it all goes horribly wrong or even one lone medium or fast TD escapes, you need to be able to get in cap with 2-3 minute remaining.

Awesome tips ~ Lephturn, thank you as usual. These are the details that are sorely needed that I haven't been able to clarify and put down on paper yet. I will integrate this info into the current DS2 strategies and of course give you credit as usual for helping me out with this passion of mine. I'd love to Tildatoon asap, unfortunately my wifi is a bit hazard at the moment, but I'll look for ya. Thanks my friend! 

~ Community Pledge Signer ~ [iii]

Premiums ~ M60  ~  T26E4 Super Pershing  ~  T34 (1776)  ~  IS-6  ~  IS-2Sh  ~  T-34-85 Rudy  ~  Tankenstein  ~  Kuro Mori Mine  ~  Excelsior  ~  Churchill III  ~  Ram II  ~  Pz. IV Hydrostat  ~  Pz IV Anko Sp ~ Hetzer Kame Sp ~ A-32  ~  Pz. B2  ~  T-127  ~  Ke-Ni Otsu

Proud owner of the AMX 50 B!

tcamp48 #43 Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

UPDATE: 10/14/2015 ~ 

Added strategies and tips for Desert Sands and the new map "Canal" are forthcoming, at least by Wednesday 11/18, Please check back! ;)

Premiums ~ M60  ~  T26E4 Super Pershing  ~  T34 (1776)  ~  IS-6  ~  IS-2Sh  ~  T-34-85 Rudy  ~  Tankenstein  ~  Kuro Mori Mine  ~  Excelsior  ~  Churchill III  ~  Ram II  ~  Pz. IV Hydrostat  ~  Pz IV Anko Sp ~ Hetzer Kame Sp ~ A-32  ~  Pz. B2  ~  T-127  ~  Ke-Ni Otsu

Sorimka #44 Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 13925 battles
  • [501DV]

The strategies in this guide hold true for lots of different tanks.  Nicely done, and keep this updated!

o7

Lephturn #45 Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17567 battles
  • [III-S]
Canal strategy: DO NOT GO INTO TOWN - go one side or the other with your team. Don't get left alone or you are meat for (real) mediums and lights.

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

tcamp48 #46 Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostLephturn, on 17 November 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

Canal strategy: DO NOT GO INTO TOWN - go one side or the other with your team. Don't get left alone or you are meat for (real) mediums and lights.

Much appreciated Lephturn, I've been looking forward to adding your tips for DS2 and Canal, thank you!

tcamp48 #47 Posted 18 November 2015 - 05:46 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostSorimka, on 17 November 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

The strategies in this guide hold true for lots of different tanks.  Nicely done, and keep this updated!

o7

Much appreciated Sorimka! Glad you stopped by and thank you!

tcamp48 #48 Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:29 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]
Strategies for DS2 and Canal will be updated asap. Finding time to sit down and go through each detail has been a bit tricky, plus with the advent of new tanks, I need to go over this guide thoroughly as to keep it relevant. Look for an update soon! Thank you for your patience.:honoring:

tcamp48 #49 Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

New strategies and tips for Desert Sands just added ~ CREDIT GOES TO LEPHTURN for his ever valuable advice. 11/22/15.

Canal map strategies are in the works, AND WILL BE UP SOON! :great:

Edited by tcamp48, 22 November 2015 - 07:54 PM.

tcamp48 #50 Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:34 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

JUST ADDED, TACTICS, TIPS AND STRATEGIES FOR "CANAL"! ~ 12/08/15.

Strategies for the new maps, "Lost Temple 2" and "Himmelsdorf" will of course be forthcoming!

Also added ~

POST PATCH 2.4 CHANGES FOR THE MATILDA ~ 12/08/15 

Edited by tcamp48, 09 December 2015 - 07:00 PM.

tcamp48 #51 Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:49 AM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]
JUST ADDED, TACTICS, TIPS AND STRATEGIES FOR "LOST TEMPLE 2"! ~ 12/26/15.

Lephturn #52 Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17567 battles
  • [III-S]

I would like to revise a few suggestions:

1. Canal. To be more specific it is the South East corner of this map that has evolved as the best position. The reason is that it offers hills and a few buildings in the corner for cover, firing lanes into town, and is close enough to cap to stop it. The team that wins this corner has the best chance to win the map. In the Matilda this means convincing your team to go all left or right to this corner and backing them up. Your great gun with good gun depression means you can work the sides and ends of the hills to get shots and have decent cover. Do not go up on top of the hills in the Matilda. You will be spotted and summarily executed before you can get down from your elevated "please shoot me" position.

2. New Desert Sands: The game has evolved to be less about town and more about the desert. I no longer advocate crossing to the town side when you spawn in the desert. My call on this map is normally "all desert" and I think that has the best chance to win. The exception is if your team is much heavier and slower then all town might be the best call. You can deal with either side - just do not split if you can help it. The team that splits gets one half of the team eliminated by a unified red team who then mop up with superior numbers. If you are doing the dunes side on this map, do not go way out to the map edge - stay closer to the tracks. Use the dunes for cover but stay close enough to the middle that you can quickly move to a position with shots into the cap circle. Your Matilda should never flank around the end of the tracks in the end game, ideally you help your team win the desert side and then roll under the bridge toward cap circle - or at least use the dunes to hull down and fire into that area.

3. New Lost Temple: It is still all about that temple area. The team that controls the obelisk platform has the best chance to win. Never go into the rivers and low ground on the flanks in a Matilda - you will get ripped apart by mediums at worst and at best you will be struggling to cross high ground in the open to make it to the temple and the cap area in the late game. The team that is in town can run the cap timer and stay in cover and wait. With your Matilda you should be anchoring one side of the Obelisk platform if you are top tier and pushing that side if possible. If your team takes the obelisk platform area and the enemy does not show up, you must take defensive positions and get in cover. That means positioning mostly on the other side of the obelisk platform waiting for the flankers to come from your own spawn area or for the enemy to drive up the hill towards the cap circle in the middle. Never position yourself on the edge of town to get shots into the hills/river flank area as you are effectively cresting a hill and an easy target. Your main job if you hold the obelisk and the red team doesn't show up right away is to work the keyboard and convince your team to stay defensive in that area. Ask a light or medium to run the cap timer but stay in as much cover as possible. If you can keep your team together and hold the obelisk area while you force the reds to come to you it gives you the best chance to win this map.

One more note - there have recently been changes to HE penetration on howitzers and other "derp" guns that make those guns less viable. In the case of the Matilda this has not had a large effect. If you are running the Matilda with the howitzer (as I enjoy doing) it is still viable. You were already firing mostly HEAT anyway, and the HEAT penetration is fine. I still recommend trying a Matilda platoon with one person running the 2 pounder for it's high rate of fire and the other running the howitzer with mostly HEAT ammunition. Having one that can perma-track enemies in place and the other with a big alpha hammer that can only hit stationary targets works pretty well. Enemies that will not be afraid of the now per-shot damage from a Matilda tend to re-evaluate the situation when you drop a high damage HEAT shell on their head. The 2 pounder is certainly the better all around gun, but in a platoon one howitzer and one 2 pounder can be an entertaining and effective combination.

tcamp48 #53 Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

Edited by tcamp48, 01 February 2016 - 07:49 PM.

Lephturn #54 Posted 13 January 2016 - 02:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17567 battles
  • [III-S]

View Posttcamp48, on 09 January 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

I greatly appreciate the continued contribution to this guide Lephturn, especially from a seasoned Tilda driver. I will incorporate this into the guide right away, at the same time I update Himmelsdorf.:great: I havent had as much time as I'd like to keep this up to date so this is perfect timing.

Well the Tillie is my highest WR tank over 100 battles - so I do love it. Thank YOU for this epic and very useful post. We need to platoon our Matildas some time soon... I want to tip over to 80% WR in her!

My thoughts on Himmelsdorf - Always heavy alley. Matildas need to use the cover and hull down options available on the side opposite the train tracks. The Train tracks area and the middle are far too dangerous for a Matilda as it is way too easy to be flanked and caught in a crossfire. The heavy side of the map has buildings and rubble piles to use for cover and side scraping, as well as the ability to protect one flank using the map edge. It's also where the meta of this game has been going lately.  Of course if you spawn on the rail side and your team is very medium heavy you might have to go that way - and if you must go rail side go right up against the map red line. Always put yourself in a position to cover one flank completely. Stay close to buildings and other obstacles you can use for cover and that you can back into to prevent being circled.

tcamp48 #55 Posted 31 January 2016 - 03:48 AM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

CURRENT UPDATE: 01/30/2016. New map strategies and tips on Himmelsdorf. Revised additional tips for Desert Sands 2, Canal and Lost Temple. 

This tanker's note ~ Many that have been following this ever evolving guide on the British tier IV Matilda that we all know and love, I'm sure have noticed the increasing advice, strategies and tips from my fellow clan mate and Tank Boom Co-host, "Lephturn". His stats in the Matilda far surpass my own and I've learned much from him and my other fellow clan mate and Tank Boom co-host, "Lokeen", a wizard at medium tanks in his own right. If you're facing Lephturn in the Matilda or Lokeen in his T-34-85 Victory.....well, game's over. ;) I respect both these tanker's opinions and continued support. Lephturn has provided his experience and knowledge and his contributions to this guide are invaluable. I am extremely thankful for his help. If you're reading this guide through for the first time or even the 50th time, and you haven't yet tuned in, please find "Tank Boom" on iTunes or Stitcher or wherever you can and listen to the commentary, interviews, tips, tricks and strategies. You'll be glad you did; it's made writing this guide on the Matilda and playing this game, much more enjoyable. ;) Go Tilda! 

tcamp48 #56 Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]
Update 2.7 tactics and strategies for the Matilda coming soon! :great:

BorisBaddenov #57 Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:30 PM

3.8 Made me quit

• Players
  • 17250 battles
  • [ST2RM]

for a new player like me.. guides like this are invaluable.  Not specifically because this guide talks so well about the Maltida, but because the nuggets of information contained in the OP are useful for any new player, regardless of tank.  The OP should get a gold star :)

Tanks!

Boris

Edit:  It seems that Anko's give me the most fits.  Their gun is good enough to pen.  I must be more careful when facing them.

Edited by BorisBaddenov, 18 March 2016 - 03:26 PM.

I’ve noticed a strong lack of Spare Parts. Is that intended?

No, it is not. This problem will solve itself with time. Many players have several dozens of vehicles in their Garages, so they don’t have enough Spare Parts for the entire vehicle fleet. But you will gradually collect enough Spare Parts to unlock new slots for purchased tanks in time.

ahredstealth #58 Posted 18 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 18235 battles
  • [SPUD]
The panzer IVD should be added to the fear list.  It's gun can easily pen a Matilda.  Prammo from practically anywhere.

Edited by ahredstealth, 18 March 2016 - 04:49 PM.

Wargaming server will serving you kindly

tcamp48 #59 Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:04 AM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostBorisBaddenov, on 18 March 2016 - 09:30 AM, said:

for a new player like me.. guides like this are invaluable.  Not specifically because this guide talks so well about the Maltida, but because the nuggets of information contained in the OP are useful for any new player, regardless of tank.  The OP should get a gold star :)

Tanks!

Boris

Edit:  It seems that Anko's give me the most fits.  Their gun is good enough to pen.  I must be more careful when facing them.

Boris, I much appreciate your response and I'm glad you're finding it useful, sincerely. The Matilda is one of the most versatile tanks in the game and if I can bring other factoids to light, well then, all the better. :great: Completely agreed on the Anko. They are especially dangerous to the Matilda. That and the Luchs and Leopard are just a few of the new tanks that I'm learning, are not to be taken lightly. Staying with the group for the first half or 2/3 of the battle would do the Matilda driver well these days.

tcamp48 #60 Posted 21 March 2016 - 01:06 AM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 37616 battles
  • [III-Z]

View Postahredstealth, on 18 March 2016 - 11:48 AM, said:

The panzer IVD should be added to the fear list.  It's gun can easily pen a Matilda.  Prammo from practically anywhere.

Duly noted and added. A wise observation, I've had trouble with this tank before. Thanks for the suggestion! 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users