• 61096 battles
  • [III-S]
"Mirage" Map Tactics posted! Basic stuff here, but valuable info. :great:

outersketcher #62 Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12733 battles
  • [COD-R]

As for worthy opponents to the Matilda.. what do you think of the AC Sentinel?

I recently found myself in Middleburg. Everyone else dead, just me in my Sentinel and the red Matilda. Both of us at about 3/4 health. We were facing each other in that narrow valley. The only escape for either of us was to back up. But the blood-lust was high. I was out of APCR rounds, and I believe it was in the same for him. We were both firing standard rounds.

I couldn't reliably pen the Matilda's armor. But his rounds were bouncing and pinging off the lovely rounded curves on my Sentinel. Plus, I was juking and pivoting and wriggling as best I could. We fought like that for a good 20 seconds or so.. trading xp and pinging rounds.

But, it couldn't last of course. I was gradually worn down and destroyed. I had that rounded, bouncy armor, but.. the Matilda was a Matilda.

I wonder tho. If I had a few rounds of apcr. I'd like to face another Matilda with my Sentinel and try that again.

That was a fun battle.

*edit.. it was at Middleburg.. not Canals*

Edited by outersketcher, 27 April 2016 - 08:46 PM.

I try to follow the wise teachings of Mr Miyagi.  "Best defense, no be there."

...don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit... OWWW you %$#$!... don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit...

Lephturn #63 Posted 04 May 2016 - 08:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22174 battles
  • [III-S]

The proliferation of relatively OP lights has limited the Matilda's effectiveness. Same with my TOG II. BUT - the fast gun / derp combo works very well - fast gun tracks the fast tanks and the HE derps them in the face.

At it's tier the Matilda is no longer the juggernaut it once was, but it's still good.

In regards to the Sentinel - it's armor is good but not quite equal to the Matilda. It does move better and it has less alpha. If you are running a derp gun on the Matilda just peek-a-boom it and you win. Good alpha and cover or side scrape will beat a Sentinel.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

tcamp48 #64 Posted 08 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61096 battles
  • [III-S]

I've come up against Sentinels several times and the majority of the time, I will come out on top....but, the times I didn't, it was the driver that beat me. Skill will rule the day in a match up with these two. Advice also being, carry APCR always, because the Matilda's armor against regular rounds, well......you know the story.

I've also found that, as Lephturn said, the Matilda is no longer the feared Queen of the battlefield. That being so, again, it's the driver that wins the day as well as the tank. Though, I now carry APCR with me in the Tilda at all times. Pesky German lights. ;)

Edited by tcamp48, 08 May 2016 - 03:53 PM.

tcamp48 #65 Posted 13 May 2016 - 01:48 AM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61096 battles
  • [III-S]
UPDATE! ~ New thoughts on Matilda firepower and staying a "relevant threat" in game! 

outersketcher #66 Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:53 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12733 battles
  • [COD-R]

One other note.. I once deliberately drove off of a bridge in Canals in a Matilda to get out of a pinch trap. She landed at an angle.. damaging her tracks and lost some hp. But not much. I blew a track repair, got her moving till she landed on all treads, and was able to move out from under the bridge and continue the fight.

I mean.. c'mon.. is there ANY OTHER tier 4 tank you can drive off a freaking bridge and it shrugs it off with relatively low damage?

IMHO.. The Matilda still rocks.

...don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit... OWWW you %$#$!... don't get hit... don't get hit... don't get hit...

pnw72 #67 Posted 13 May 2016 - 04:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17125 battles
  • [_PNW_]
Thanks to tcamp48 and lephturn for this amazing thread. So much information. I purchased the Matilda a few days ago, but really wanted to study this thread first before I take it out. I did free xp the engine and tracks, but will grind the guns and turret in the 75% to 100% grind. Currently I am sitting on about 32k free xp that I was saving for later tiers. Should I free xp the Guns and turret as well out of gate?  Thanks again for all the great advice and help.
pnw72_tigers_eng.jpeg

tcamp48 #68 Posted 15 May 2016 - 06:47 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61096 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postoutersketcher, on 13 May 2016 - 10:53 AM, said:

One other note.. I once deliberately drove off of a bridge in Canals in a Matilda to get out of a pinch trap. She landed at an angle.. damaging her tracks and lost some hp. But not much. I blew a track repair, got her moving till she landed on all treads, and was able to move out from under the bridge and continue the fight.

I mean.. c'mon.. is there ANY OTHER tier 4 tank you can drive off a freaking bridge and it shrugs it off with relatively low damage?

IMHO.. The Matilda still rocks.

I've done that too! That little tank can take quite the beating where others would just explode into itty bitty pieces! :D

tcamp48 #69 Posted 15 May 2016 - 07:05 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61096 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postpnw72, on 13 May 2016 - 11:25 AM, said:

Thanks to tcamp48 and lephturn for this amazing thread. So much information. I purchased the Matilda a few days ago, but really wanted to study this thread first before I take it out. I did free xp the engine and tracks, but will grind the guns and turret in the 75% to 100% grind. Currently I am sitting on about 32k free xp that I was saving for later tiers. Should I free xp the Guns and turret as well out of gate?  Thanks again for all the great advice and help.

Hey pn! Thanks for the comments. :) I'm really glad that you've found this guide and hopefully find it helpful! So hard to keep up with WG and all the changes but
we've done our best. In my humble opinion, all are important and I wouldn't take it out of the garage without all the modules researched. So free xp what you can definitely. You'll need every advantage you can get when you first start out. Let me know how you fare! Thanks my friend! :great: :playing:

tcamp48 #70 Posted 01 June 2016 - 04:32 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61096 battles
  • [III-S]

Still able to capture Gold with the Tilda. ;) Proven techniques will win the day! :great:

outersketcher #71 Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12733 battles
  • [COD-R]

View Posttcamp48, on 01 June 2016 - 08:32 AM, said:

Still able to capture Gold with the Tilda. ;) Proven techniques will win the day! :great:

Ohh cool!. I .... WANT.. a masters in my Matilda. Badly.

grins.

tcamp48 #72 Posted 03 June 2016 - 01:37 AM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61096 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postoutersketcher, on 01 June 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

Ohh cool!. I .... WANT.. a masters in my Matilda. Badly.

grins.

I wanna see it too!!! Post it when you do!!!:great: :justwait:

Edited by tcamp48, 03 June 2016 - 01:37 AM.

pnw72 #73 Posted 05 June 2016 - 07:52 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17125 battles
  • [_PNW_]
Gg tcamp. Tildatooning with outersketcher I got my first mastery.(hopefully more will come) The app crashed on me after battle. I never got the screen shot, but it was a great battle. Outersketcher and I were the only ones left in the end.
pnw72_tigers_eng.jpeg

tcamp48 #74 Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:59 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61096 battles
  • [III-S]

Hey Pnw, Thanks and CONGRATS on the Mastery!!! :great: That's amazing man, wish I could've been a fly on the proverbial wall when that battle was going on, I bet it was epic fun. :justwait: I hate it though, when the app crashes and it wont record the battle stats, I'd love to see the damage and kills. Really glad you two got together for that Tildatoon. Here's to keeping the old girl a relevant threat on the battlefield! :honoring:

ufddd #75 Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:30 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6028 battles

The not so recent nerf to the Luchs has made it considerably less dangerous to the Matilda, doubled with the fact that few are playing it now means that at its tier there is little to fear other than the few tanks with 75mm guns (M3 Lee, DW2 etc). 

When against Tier V though it starts to suffer, staying with the pack and permatracking enemies in the open is a good tactic since it's less easy to simply trade body shots with the HP pool of the higher tiered tanks. 

tcamp48 #76 Posted 05 July 2016 - 04:26 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61096 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postufddd, on 25 June 2016 - 08:30 PM, said:

The not so recent nerf to the Luchs has made it considerably less dangerous to the Matilda, doubled with the fact that few are playing it now means that at its tier there is little to fear other than the few tanks with 75mm guns (M3 Lee, DW2 etc). 

When against Tier V though it starts to suffer, staying with the pack and permatracking enemies in the open is a good tactic since it's less easy to simply trade body shots with the HP pool of the higher tiered tanks. 

I do find that there are considerably less Luchs out there, plus the nerf, I'm not really worried about them at all now. Tier V, especially the Leo's are still a danger though. I'm always staying with the group now until I don't have to or I'm needed elsewhere. It's a complete judgement call really. The Leo's are the real worry out there most of the time in my humble opinion.

krietenstein34 #77 Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28982 battles
  • [HAHA]

*What is the Pen of Derp gun vs the Pew Pew gun ???

*I've tried the derp.   I couldn't make it work.  It's like literally lobbing a softball across the map.  

*If I'm top tier, I expect to win.

*I would say backing up to a wall or building does have its place.   I've won countless games 1 vs 4, 1vs 5.

*If an enemy is trying to get behind you, it means they can't pen and POSSIBLY they know what they are doing.   Backing up to a building allows you to     focus on noobs and or big guns that are facing you.

*When in a Pickle face hug hetzer, DW, M3.......   they will constantly look for a place to pen, backing up as they do soo,  while you dpm them to death.

*Further ......   most other Matilda drivers suck, they are not a threat.

*T4 match ?    Literally play reckless, go where you want, when you want.......   With your team.

*T5 match ???    A whole new set of rules.

Edited by krietenstein34, 05 July 2016 - 07:11 PM.

:girl:

tcamp48 #78 Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:54 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61096 battles
  • [III-S]

View Postkrietenstein34, on 05 July 2016 - 02:08 PM, said:

*What is the Pen of Derp gun vs the Pew Pew gun ???

*I've tried the derp.   I couldn't make it work.  It's like literally lobbing a softball across the map.  

1. Here are the stats for the Matilda's guns:

Tier Gun Penetration
(mm)
Damage
(HP)
Rate of fire
(rounds/minute)
Dispersion
(m/100m)
Aiming time
(s)
  Weight
(kg)
Price
(Credits)

IV OQF 3-inch Howitzer Mk. I 38/100 175/110 15 0.53 1.9   116 30000
IV QF 2-pdr Mk. X-B 121/145 55/55 28.57 0.36 1.9   175 28000
IV QF 2-pdr Mk. X 78/121/23 50/50/60 28.57 0.36 1.7   130 6000

When using the Howitzer, you have to be more aware of your situation namely because of the slow re-load time. Let your team spot for you and keep your eyes on that mini-map...you have to stay several steps ahead of your enemy at all times to place your shots correctly. The beauty of the Howitzer is catching a red unaware. This is why you take the stance of working the flank for the first 3rd of the match while the enemy is spotted for you or you stumble upon an unlikely red that began an early yolo run, etc... (Beginner tankers note: (YOLO ~ meaning "You Only Live Once" ~ reckless and stupid drive right into the swarm of tanks that is the enemy) The Howitzer can be a powerful weapon in the right Matilda driver's hands, you just need to think ahead.  

2. Again, I advise against backing up straight against a wall. Yes, you could get lucky and come out on top, but the best move is to not limit your range of motion. The old girl is slow, so give her some room to move and don't corner yourself. It'd be all too easy for a Leo to ram you smack dab in the broad side, even if they are a "noob with a big gun".

3. You mention the DW2, the Hetzer and M3 Lee. Don't ever face-hug these tanks. In a pinch, yes, go to it and blast away, but their guns will do you in, in short order. Keep your distance, use the terrain and obstacles to peek a boom these foes and always keep moving if you are out in the open. Only go face to face if you have no choice or you are 100% certain of dealing the final blow.

4. True enough, most Matilda drivers are not that good in them, but the Unicums, Unicorns, etc...are out there. I've been blasted by some amazing Matilda tankers that put me to shame. Don't assume they are weak, assume ALL your enemies can take you down.....it'll keep you aware and cautious. 

5. Playing reckless can be fun, when you are sure you can get the jump on weaker tanks, but tier IV as well as V is riddled with capable enemies. 

Just my opinion as always, but you seem to have a great record in the Matilda and there are many playing styles. Keep up the good work my friend.

Edited by tcamp48, 08 July 2016 - 09:55 PM.

Marc13Bautista #79 Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:48 PM

AH NU CHEEKI BREEKI IV DAMKE!!!!!!!

• Players
  • 10382 battles
  • [ANEKI]
Ahh this used to be my go-to tank back before german lights and the defender was introduced. Good times getting steel walls... good times.

~{"Drinking Vodka a day keeps the radiation away!"}{Signature created by Panbun}~

~{"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine." -Erwin Rommel}~

~{My Steam and Youtube}{Just your average inconsistent Unicum from MAHOU ANEKI}{Check out Maddox's mods at MadWoTBMods!}~

tcamp48 #80 Posted 13 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

Artista pazzo

• Players
  • 61096 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostMarc13Bautista, on 08 July 2016 - 05:48 PM, said:

Ahh this used to be my go-to tank back before german lights and the defender was introduced. Good times getting steel walls... good times.

Many Steel Walls with the Matilda. :) I thought the good times were over after the new German Lights were introduced but I've found lately that I can still beat them. :justwait:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users