Guide for New Players: Knowing Your Tanks Role

_1204_ Guide for New Players Knowing your role

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Putins_Chariot #1 Posted 27 July 2015 - 01:28 AM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

Note: If you have been on the forums a while, you will probably learn NOTHING from this, as it was directed for very new players...  All comments, suggestions, +1's, requests for other guides, or questions can be commented here, or PM'd to me. 

Some more "Guides for New Players":

Situational Awareness

Positioning your tank

Knowing Your Tanks Role

Hello forumers! This is my guide for the newer World of Tanks Blitz players to help YOU succeed in battle. This one is about knowing how to use your tank to the best of its abilities. Some tanks are meant for sniping enemies, whilst others are meant to be up close and personal:trollface:. Nobody likes to see that KV-2 with his amazing "derp" gun, sniping on a hill several hundred yards away from the fight. The key to knowing a tanks role USUALLY lies in its stats in the tech tree. Remember, tank lines usually generally have very similar roles/playstyles. You wont usually go from a sniper to a fighter in 2 tiers. So without further ado, lets get started!

1. Do not trust the bars!!!!!

The bar charts were honestly designed to show the little kids how tanks perform differently. Just suck it up and look at the boring numbers. I have seen players who say the Maus in invincible because its protection is 100%:facepalm: Its not. Graphs are the worst thing to look at. Just swipe to the left to get the numbers.

2. Use your resources- There are tons of resources in the Wargaming universe that can help you learn your role in a particular tank. My personal favorite, the WoT PC Wiki has ALL the tanks from PC described out, in length. You can also see facts on arty, and what to expect from future tank lines, such as the insane Fv (183). Though some descriptions are off, since the PC game is much different, I still find this to be my go to method to learn a tank.

Another resource is the Blitz Wiki. Though it is much like the PC wiki, it is mostly incomplete and badly filled in. I would not recommend this method. Just go to the computer version. I suppose you could use the Xbox Wiki, but then why not just use the PC wiki? PC has more serious players.

​     Though it is a sore subject here on the forums, general chat is not a bad place to go to seek answers on tanks. There are many good players there that will gladly help you. Its a wide variety of people there, so it is likely someone can help. If not, then come here to the fourms and make a thread about your tank. just click which country of tank you need help with here, then go to the mid-upper right and hit "create new thread." Be sure to describe which tank(s), and the issues you are having with them.

Of course, I would be glad to help if needed. You can PM me through my profile, or in game at _1204_:)

3. Look at your tanks statistics- In the stats bar of each tank, it is divided into three sections. These three sections help determine a tanks role!

The weapon

The weapons as a tank really have a big impact on your playstyle. The pictures above are of two tanks, a T150, and a 8,8 cm Jagtiger. For those that know their tanks, relevant to their tier, they are 2 TOTALLY different tanks. The t150 hits pretty hard for a tier 6, meaning if works best dishing out the blows to heavies. The Jagtigers 8,8 cm gun has amazing accuracy. The dispersion, which is how small the circle can possibly get, is over .1 less, which is a fair difference. The jags gun makes for an excellent sniper (even though there are multiple roles this tank can do) t150's gun is not meant for sniping, but for fighting on the front lines, dissing out hard punches 10 seconds at a time. The 8,8 is meant to put shot after shot into enemies as long as they are in the open. The t150 sniping would miss half its shots, because of the bad dispersion.

Mobility

The mobility of a tank can also influence how to play a tank. Mobility is one of the main factors in detirmining what a tank should do. Armor and mobility USUALLY go hand in hand. One is strong, and the other is weak. When looking at a tank, the best way to tell its speed is to look at the horse power/ton ratio. The "top speed" is just how fast the tank can physically go, but the hp/t ratio is actually a better representation. In this case, the e50 is way faster, since both have the same horsepower, but the jag is over twice the weight. The faster the tank, the more it should be used to scout out enemies, flank, and hold key points (like in mines) until the heavy armor can get there. 

Armor

The better the armor, the tougher you can be. Many tanks cannot be penetrated with premium ammo! If your armor is tough, you mobility usually isnt so hot. Use your armor to slowly take over the job if/when you get to the front lines. Armor can vary also. Some heavy tanks, like some of the IS series, are easy penetrations for tanks of the same tier or higher. Be sure to play to your armors strengths also. American tanks have some of the best turret armor in the game. Germans have armor that can be used many different ways ( I will do a guide on that later. Look above for a guide called "individual tactics". Know your armor hard-points, and use them. The Armor inspector app can help you know your tanks armor better than ever. Tanks with good armor need to head to the choke-points, where main battles take place (see Kami's map overview) Less armored tanks need to avoid front line combat at all costs! Don't be scared to turn tail and flee.

4. Generalize! - Know what tank type your tank is! 80% of tanks play generally by what their type is. Like most heavies go straight to front line combat, but still may have different strenghs. I would group the types of tanks in the WG universe into 6 types

1. Heavies- These guys take the full on punishment, fighting front line and brawling it out with other heavies.
  2. Medium- Mediums go off into battle to hold off key points in a map until the heavier tanks get there, or they flank around and attack the enemy from behind.
  3. Light- Only up to tier 5 in Blitz, these are scouts and flankers only. They are very fast, with little armor. Use them to spot the enemy for your team.
  4. TD- You have the biggest guns in the game. TDS play a variety of different ways, more so than any other type. Your gun IS your biggest strength.
  5. Arty- Not in blitz, but still a type of tank.
  6. "Heavium"- Some tanks, like a lot of the is series, and a few other heavies (many not yet in blitz) play like both a medium and a heavy. While designated a heavy, they play like a medium with lots of armor. Heaviums can flank, or be a heavy

Note: These are just the normals. Some tanks like the hellcat, or the matilda, play NOTHING LIKE THEIR TYPE.

5. Look at what you have done so far- Tanks usually play like the tank in the line before it. If you are having trouble, start there. Though it isn't always true, it usually leads somewhere. The British heavies, for example, play almost the same for tiers 5,6, and 7. With premium tanks, look at the tanks similar to them like T34 and t32, or even Churchill 1 and Churchill 3. Also, DONT PLAY STUPID!!!!! ANYONE that snipes with a high caliber gun with low accuracy, like a KV1S 122mm, will always get an earful from me. I have seen e100s flanking, and Leopards charging. This is insulting, both to the team, and yourself. If you think your doing something wrong, PM me! I can probably help. I have played many tanks, so I know a thing or two by now. Listening to the people around you helps too.

6. Player Feedback-                          none

Hope you enjoyed!

Got something to add? Leave it in the comments and I can edit it in! 

Edited by _1204_, 16 August 2015 - 12:39 AM.

Libereco #2 Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19282 battles
I've seen "good players" camping in a T-54 and an IS-6... :facepalm:

alexbuildit #3 Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:35 AM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 17614 battles
  • [501ST]
Nice one _1204_

Youtube Channel: ALEXBUILDIT PRODUCTIONS

Leader of the 501st, Pm for details.  

Alcruz95 #4 Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:41 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18488 battles
How do I side scrape? 
I like the Obj. 140 and I put the Hero in Heroin.

Mistake_ #5 Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:58 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4612 battles

View PostLibereco, on 26 July 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

Oops. That's sad. 

+1 for the guide. Hopefully, will be helpful to new players like me. 

My YouTube Channel - Link

Stefan2499 #6 Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19013 battles
  • [501DV]

View PostAlcruz95, on 27 July 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

How do I side scrape? 

If there is a building in front of you. Turn the back of your tank slighly out of cover. Be sure to keep the front of the Tank covered. Drive back if needed. If your tank has good armor, you most likely bounce the shot or your tracks will eat it. Hope that helps:) 

_JuJu #7 Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:27 AM

Community Scumbag

• Players
  • 27941 battles
  • [TENET]
"Know your role Jabroni!"- The Rock aka Dwayne Johnson

2 Time Twister Cup NA Finalist

Las Vegas 17/Seattle 18 Mobile Masters Finalist

Spring Season Professional Champion

Too Many Tourney Championship Rings To Count

car105king #8 Posted 27 July 2015 - 05:54 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 14012 battles
  • [501ST]
Nice guide, it would be usefull a year ago, when i was a noob xD
p92XFfh.gif
Purple letters and tank names! Tier x tank names! Some awesome words describing how amazing I am! and how i am supposed to fill 5 lines?

Stefan2499 #9 Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:08 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 19013 battles
  • [501DV]
I didnt even know that the red stuff on the tank armor is supposed to help u. I just kind of knew where to shoot and hoped it didnt pen. Didnt relize till i got tier 7 i really sucked back then. 

Putins_Chariot #10 Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:25 PM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

View PostAlcruz95, on 26 July 2015 - 09:41 PM, said:

How do I side scrape? 

Hope you know how and thats sarcastic, but Ill do a guide on those things later. If you SERIOUSLY dont know, just PM

View PostStefan2499, on 27 July 2015 - 02:08 AM, said:

I didnt even know that the red stuff on the tank armor is supposed to help u. I just kind of knew where to shoot and hoped it didnt pen. Didnt relize till i got tier 7 i really sucked back then. 

totally feel ya. My first wake up call was when someone told me not to snipe in t34-85:teethhappy:

Edited by _1204_, 27 July 2015 - 02:28 PM.

_Nekomata #11 Posted 04 October 2015 - 08:01 PM

Haruna > Fusou

• Players
  • 31568 battles
  • [MAHOU]
_1204_, I feel your pain. I was fighting in my Comet the other day, and a T29 (elited modules) charged right into the fray of enemies...It didn't end up well. I have sawn camping E-100s and E-100s trying to jump from the hills in Mines.....

Thanks to Zennosha and/or Panbun, I have a shiny new signature! Thank you!

__ikener__ #12 Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:35 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 22297 battles
  • [LXE]
Nice write up, great job!

"All will learn via destruction"

http://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/__ikener__

dont_open_dead_inside #13 Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:59 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11614 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostAlcruz95, on 27 July 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

How do I side scrape? 

Use your side to scrape the enemies

f9Yj0xl.gif

Davedt #14 Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:36 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21136 battles
  • [_OPS_]

View PostLibereco, on 27 July 2015 - 02:05 AM, said:

Thats because survivability means better earnings they can usually wait until the red team is beat up and go clean up rather than actually play their true roles in a battle that would benefit their team.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users