• Please log in to reply
679 replies to this topic

tinmanic #141 Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:48 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32784 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postt4four, on 08 August 2015 - 12:19 AM, said:

Wannabes.  But I wish them well. Awesome by association.

yep, the commander didn't know we existed when he created SPUDS, and even apologized after he discovered SPUD was well underway. I also wished him well...better to be a tater than a hater.

Oh man - that would make a great bumper sticker

Stealth & Tinman looking spudly

My Stats:

tinmanic #142 Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:44 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32784 battles
  • [SPUD]

-View Postaramikvideo19, on 07 August 2015 - 11:17 PM, said:

I've wanted to platoon for the oft-mentioned reasons, but have had reservations. I tried platooning a few hundred games ago with a fellow tanker who was near my win rate. That didn't work too well. I've also platooned with my ten year old daughter in our matching Matildas. Understandably, that was quite fun. 

My perception is that it's almost like having a team within a team. When I tooned with thye other guy, it seemed like neither of us really knew how to function properly within the parameters. When you toon, is it better to have very similar tanks which are performing the same function, e.g., both are heavies or mediums, etc.? i would imagine so.

I think I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere on here. If someone would be kind enough to post a link, it would be much appreciated.

Hi Aramik, I'm learning as I go as well. I'll just throw some thoughts your way based on my vast experience with platooning (about a dozen times so far...whoah). The system does seem awkward if you get or send a toon request without first communicating your tier & objective (i.e. teach me vs. let's just rock it with whatever).  Frankly I'm skeptical that a tutorial will help - instead I think you and I need to just put ourselves out there, be clear about what our goal is so that we align w/ the right toonmate and they can adjust & prepare as needed, and risk looking like fools for a while until we get used to it. Either party should feel comfortable with breaking it off if it ain't working, or just do a few at a time. Feel free to ping me too - if I'm free I'd be glad to platoon.

Stealth & Tinman looking spudly

My Stats:

duanedragon #143 Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:55 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12005 battles
  • [SPUD]
We are the Bad News Bears of clans. Platooned with several of you. Much respek. Had some comically bad games and some jaw dropping come from behind wins. Looking forward to more of the same. Spudbrothers you rock!

Psyberius #144 Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:11 AM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles

View Postaramikvideo19, on 07 August 2015 - 10:17 PM, said:

I've wanted to platoon for the oft-mentioned reasons, but have had reservations. I tried platooning a few hundred games ago with a fellow tanker who was near my win rate. That didn't work too well. I've also platooned with my ten year old daughter in our matching Matildas. Understandably, that was quite fun. 

My perception is that it's almost like having a team within a team. When I tooned with thye other guy, it seemed like neither of us really knew how to function properly within the parameters. When you toon, is it better to have very similar tanks which are performing the same function, e.g., both are heavies or mediums, etc.? i would imagine so.

I think I remember seeing a tutorial somewhere on here. If someone would be kind enough to post a link, it would be much appreciated.

Either two of the same class or two different classes can work. Using different classes tends to rely on communication more though. I haven't platooned a heck of a lot either. But I'm getting more into it and actually enjoy it. I have something in every tier so hit me up in game and I'll platoon with ya!

"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Psyberius #145 Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:22 AM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles

View Posttinmanic, on 08 August 2015 - 12:48 AM, said:

yep, the commander didn't know we existed when he created SPUDS, and even apologized after he discovered SPUD was well underway. I also wished him well...better to be a tater than a hater.

Oh man - that would be a great bumper sticker

That was gracious of him. He needn't apologize IMHO. Fellow taters, unite! Because yes, it IS better to be a tater than a hater. Can I have one of those bumper stickers for the back of my T-54? 

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

mike82198 #146 Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:44 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39832 battles
  • [PURPL]
Can I be an honorary member?

Paukenwirbel #147 Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:28 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 44236 battles
  • [SPUDX]

This looks perfect for me -- hope that works both ways!

I'm a musician with odd hours and a busy teaching/rehearsal schedule, so I can't play for long periods at a time, and when I do, it's usually on a "vampire" schedule.

Started with WoTB during a major illness (had never played WoT PC before), so my first 4K battles were just a diversionary disaster because I was sick/awful and didn't care how much I sucked, and everything about my play since then has been aimed at improving and rehabilitating my game play and stats by practicing.

Probably my weakest area is Platooning because the schedule hasn't allowed much of it, but it's clearly an area I want to improve as well. Being a musician, I know how to practice, as well as be an educator of youngsters and young adults, so I naturally want to improve in as many aspects as I can, and help others to do so too, without the game taking over my life.

I really like the SPUD philosophy, and I think I'd fit in well, though that's your call, of course, ahredstealth!  I'll head into the game and send a request. See you on the battlefield! Thanks for considering my request to be a member of SPUD!  o7

usrbinperl #148 Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:47 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 9214 battles

Greetings fellow taters! Is there anyone interested is using TS around the campfire? I've been toying with the idea of procuring a server for those so inclined, but first wanted to get a read on how many of my tot brothers would actually use it (I'm guessing not that many, but figured I'd ask). :coin:

SteelCityHammer #149 Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 12231 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Gents: a few things....

First: A big shoutout to Psyberius!  Last night through a combination of Compassion and Lapse of Judgement, he was kind enough to hook up a Class 3 Hitch to the back of his T-54 (sweet ride, totally pimped out w/off-road package, leather interior, family fun pack, etc) and drag my completely bone stock M46 through the Tier 9 mm minefield.  For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, a stock Patton is dangerous only to itself, so in addition to helping me get a few thousand XP, he basically wrecked his wr for the evening.  Anyway, the XP I got tooned up with him, plus the 65k free XP I had saved, means my Patton can now actually shoot back and accomplish something besides drawing attention to itself. 

Second: Lots of us on late last night... Apparently the West Coast contingent is strong!

Third: As this thread continues, Supreme Leadership (The  Spudfather?) may consider just a discussion thread elsewhere to allow exchange of tactics, battle plans, and Top Secret SPUD information.  You know, a [edited]thread.  

See you out there...

Regards, SCH

t4four #150 Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Fix the cigarette lighter

• Players
  • 43687 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Postmike82198, on 08 August 2015 - 02:44 AM, said:

Not my place to say yes or no. That said, I would vote yes. While I respect that you represent a clan that is somewhat of a who's who in gameplay, it is your forum style that I like.  You are willing to call b/s on anybody, offer help/insight if the situation fits and you take the time to compose your posts.  I may not always agree with or like what you say, but I like how you say it (usually).
I like turtles

ahredstealth #151 Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postmike82198, on 08 August 2015 - 02:44 AM, said:

I figured we were the unofficial feeder clan for the reapers, which pretty much makes us brothers in arms.

As I type this we are closing in on 50 members.  The response has been amazing. I too struggle with platoon lifestyle. I think a tutorial might not be a bad deal.  I think a better idea is just getting out there and running some battles.  Much to be learned with boots on the ground.

I'll look to get you guys approved, thanks for posting.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

bccchu #152 Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 33110 battles
  • [SPUD]
I was able to platoon with Furicle for 20 or 30 games this morning. Wow, really learn quite a few new things from him. Thanks, Furicle. We played and we chatted/ in between battles. It worked pretty well for me.

Someone else in a battle actually commented about all the potatos suddenly showing up everywhere too.

furicle #153 Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 52015 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Postusrbinperl, on 08 August 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

Greetings fellow taters! Is there anyone interested is using TS around the campfire? I've been toying with the idea of procuring a server for those so inclined, but first wanted to get a read on how many of my tot brothers would actually use it (I'm guessing not that many, but figured I'd ask). :coin:

Giggle. With that handle I shouldn't be surprised.  Your initials aren't RS I hope?

I set up an ec2 account yesterday on the free tier with that in mind... Also a chance for to play with aws (new to me)

If it's ok with you, hold off a day or so and I might be done. 

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

Prammo comes naturally to a golden russet...

furicle #154 Posted 08 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 52015 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Thanks to bccchu for a great set of games this morning- I was a good spud but he was dealing some very unspudlike damage :-). 9-6 and all good fun

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

Prammo comes naturally to a golden russet...

usrbinperl #155 Posted 08 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 9214 battles

View Postfuricle, on 08 August 2015 - 04:08 PM, said:

Giggle. With that handle I shouldn't be surprised.  Your initials aren't RS I hope?

I set up an ec2 account yesterday on the free tier with that in mind... Also a chance for to play with aws (new to me)

If it's ok with you, hold off a day or so and I might be done. 

Nope, not RS, although I do know an almost famous one! (guy who helped found DIGEX back in the day) Give me a holler if you need help w/AWS, I actually use them quite a bit.  

Ookla_the_Mok #156 Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:09 PM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28992 battles
  • [BRSKT]

Sudden big life event struck (a good one) so my playtime may be curtailed for a while, we'll see. I just bought a T-44 and hit it with Free XP but need to fully equip it. If any SPUD sees me on and wants to credit grind in a platoon let me know. My preferred credit grinders are IS-6, Clown Car, and Panther/M10 though I have numerous premiums across tiers. It would probably be a handful of games at a time.

I've had some platoons with SPUDs and the results were good even when I crapped out early. Also a few shoutouts to the SPUD lifestyle from forumers in battle which is fun.

BRSKT Discord - Now 41% Bad Choices, 38% Creative Solutions, and 21% Chaos.
Alternatively you can check out
 [BRSKT]  

cashcashme #157 Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:20 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 6710 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostSteelCityHammer, on 08 August 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

Second: Lots of us on late last night... Apparently the West Coast contingent is strong!

Yeah, really!

Ahredstealth, on 01 July 2016 said:

I love the new economy.  It's stupid.

"If you can't take the pain, then don't play the game"

#YOLOboy                                                                                                                                                                   Worst timing of anyone in [SPUD(X)]

Psyberius #158 Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles

View Postusrbinperl, on 08 August 2015 - 08:47 AM, said:

I'd be interested in TS. I've not really used it but I did pick it up a few weeks ago thinking I'd give it a go sometime. I do have spans of time some evenings I could get on there. While not required for a SPUD, I think it would be cool to have the option. Also, maybe we should look into having our own clan forum. We're killing the clan section to the point that we're "hot". Guess that makes us hot potatoes hehe. 

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Psyberius #159 Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:09 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles

View PostSteelCityHammer, on 08 August 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

Gents: a few things....

First: A big shoutout to Psyberius!  Last night through a combination of Compassion and Lapse of Judgement, he was kind enough to hook up a Class 3 Hitch to the back of his T-54 (sweet ride, totally pimped out w/off-road package, leather interior, family fun pack, etc) and drag my completely bone stock M46 through the Tier 9 mm minefield.  For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, a stock Patton is dangerous only to itself, so in addition to helping me get a few thousand XP, he basically wrecked his wr for the evening.  Anyway, the XP I got tooned up with him, plus the 65k free XP I had saved, means my Patton can now actually shoot back and accomplish something besides drawing attention to itself. 

Third: As this thread continues, Supreme Leadership (The  Spudfather?) may consider just a discussion thread elsewhere to allow exchange of tactics, battle plans, and Top Secret SPUD information.  You know, a [edited]thread.  

See you out there...

Regards, SCH

Twas fun despite it being the weekend and the truly bizarre MM we saw at times. Sometimes it's not about WR, WN7/8, STAR1, etc. sometimes it's just about helping someone achieve a goal. In this case, getting that Patton a gun so it can stand a chance at not just being T-54 food LOL. I'm still kind a platoon noob but am willing to platoon with any SPUD who's on. Any tier. Any time. Hit me up if you see me on! 

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Psyberius #160 Posted 08 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 08 August 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Sudden big life event struck (a good one) so my playtime may be curtailed for a while, we'll see. I just bought a T-44 and hit it with Free XP but need to fully equip it. If any SPUD sees me on and wants to credit grind in a platoon let me know. My preferred credit grinders are IS-6, Clown Car, and Panther/M10 though I have numerous premiums across tiers. It would probably be a handful of games at a time.

I've had some platoons with SPUDs and the results were good even when I crapped out early. Also a few shoutouts to the SPUD lifestyle from forumers in battle which is fun.

Congrats on your big life event! I'm down for credit grinding if you happen to be on and see me sometime. No such thing as too many credits :P

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Also tagged with [SPUD]

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users