Silevern War Memorial of Korea museum real tanks

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Silevern #1 Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:53 PM

To Valhalla! Witness me!

• Players
  • 17628 battles

Hey everyone!

A bit late, but a few weeks ago my family and I visited the War Memorial of Korea. Got some nice pictures of the grounds.

The great thing about this memorial site, which is in Yongsan, Seoul, is that there is a large outdoors exhibit showing tons of tanks, artillery guns, aircraft, and even a full size naval cruiser. There are also various helicopters and missiles. Fascinating for a World of Tanks enthusiast.

I wish I had taken some more pictures but attached below are some of the ones that we did take. Everything in the museum is amazingly interactive: you can step inside the armored troop carriers and sit at the wheel, you can (kind of) move some of the flak guns around, and you can step on some metal platforms and see what the tops of the tanks look like and stuff. I didn't get on the cruiser, but there were tons of people walking around the decks and the insides of the ship.

Unfortunately it was drizzling that day but we still got some good pictures.

1: The entrance of the War Memorial of Korea, with the Seoul Tower in the background

Spoiler

2: One of the plaques at the entrance of the memorial "FREEDOM IS NOT FREE"

Spoiler

3: Me in front of a K1 tank. This is the first Korean-made tank and is heavily inspired from the American M1A1 Abrams tank, with a German-made cannon. As for the WoT shirt I'm wearing, I won that in a Facebook competition and got it delivered from Jinx for free :) I'm wearing that shirt and the white hat for the rest of the pictures.

Spoiler

4: A view of the outdoor exhibit of tanks, with a Republic of Korea Air Force plane in the back (don't know the model). The kid with the blue shirt (and the blurred head) is my little brother, who pestered me to blur his face out because he gets bashful like that. I'm to his right, on the giant artillery tank.

Spoiler

5: The finest examples of post-WWII sky cancer that South Korea has to offer

Spoiler

6: My little brother and I crouched behind an ATC. This museum is awesome in that you can get inside ATCs and check the insides out. Apparently they used to let people climb on top of the tanks but there must have been a few incidents or something of people falling off, so now the tops are fenced off. A pity...

Spoiler

7: The legendary M46 Patton which was so useful in the Korean War. A rather ugly frontal view but it's the genuine thing. 

Spoiler

8: A side view of the M48A3 Patton! 

Spoiler

9: Pointing a flak gun at yours truly.

Spoiler

_Kamikaze_Ninja_04_ #2 Posted 08 August 2015 - 01:56 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 9239 battles
Sick M8, wish I could go to a tank museum.

Mes stats pour World of Tanks Version PC Jolie newbie hein ...

"Il n'y a pas de mauvaises réservoirs seulement les mauvais conducteurs."

Objectifs pour la prochaine mille batailles (9000): 50% WR, 5 dizaines de palier (T110E3 et Obj 140)
, 950 Dégâts moyens, et Ace Tanker dans T110E5.

My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKjC_9EUk7CKItO5qkueRFQ

epicheeru #3 Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:00 PM

Meme Lord of the 21st Century

• Players
  • 17913 battles
  • [501RV]
Woah dats so kewl. 

Tier X: E 50 M | T-62A | Leopard 1 | IS-7 | FV4202

ha_satan #4 Posted 08 August 2015 - 08:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10331 battles
  • [SHP]

I've been to the Korean War memorial in Washington D.C.  I think its important that we never forget the past.  Still, it's weird having a 'memorial' of a war that has yet to come to an end. Even though an armistice has been reached, no official peace treaty has ever existed between the two states.

Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Lokeen #5 Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:12 PM

General P. McDangles

• Club Wargaming
  • 38606 battles
Very cool man thanks so much for posting this! :)

ErikBlack #6 Posted 08 August 2015 - 10:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 5958 battles
  • [3AD]
Cool, thanks for sharing.  Nice shirt.  I'm not 100% sure you are aware, the US M1A1's 120mm Main Gun is also German (Rheinmetall AG).

Silevern #7 Posted 09 August 2015 - 04:53 AM

To Valhalla! Witness me!

• Players
  • 17628 battles

View Postjky44, on 08 August 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

I've been to the Korean War memorial in Washington D.C.  I think its important that we never forget the past.  Still, it's weird having a 'memorial' of a war that has yet to come to an end. Even though an armistice has been reached, no official peace treaty has ever existed between the two states.

That's true. Earlier in June my family and my uncle drove up near the Demilitarized Zone to get to a restaurant nearby. On the way there was a river or something to the left of the highway and every kilometer or so (2.2km per mile), there was a wooden bunker with Korean soldiers (holding assault rifles, no less) surrounded by sandbags and radio antennas. And this was maybe 5 kilometers away from the DMZ itself.

All over Seoul there are emergency shelters. All of the metro stations have shelves of gas masks in the case of gas attack. Civilians have no right to bear arms yet police often carry submachine guns. Last time I visited in 2013, the security in Incheon International Airport (just west of Seoul and not far from the DMZ) was armed with MP5s.

So yeah, South Korea is not pretty looking. Not sure when exactly a real armistice will come around.

View PostErikBlack, on 08 August 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

Cool, thanks for sharing.  Nice shirt.  I'm not 100% sure you are aware, the US M1A1's 120mm Main Gun is also German (Rheinmetall AG).

I did not know that. Thanks for the info! I did read somewhere that lots of Korean tanks have guns from Germany, possibly the same Rheinmetall AG company.

pastore123 #8 Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:56 AM

Community Italian Stallion

• Players
  • 20293 battles
  • [LXE]
That's pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing dude!

#FREEPROMPT_N_CRITICAL

RES, NON VERBA 

LoyalEnoughForAnM60

_DiEnD10Fever #9 Posted 24 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 6742 battles
  • [KOOKS]
Mate awesome I have been in every memorial in Wasington D.C never found a tank about all these war. I wish I could go to a war Museums with tanks or a Tank museum here in North America. Cool mate
" If you think if a battle is unwinable either runaway, still attack, or pretend you die. And life doesnt give hints of things that you will do if you do a certain act only you will know"

Aivris #10 Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:46 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8126 battles
  • [PBKAC]
Wow, I wish I came across this thread earlier. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

ha_satan #11 Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:58 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10331 battles
  • [SHP]

View Post_DiEnD10Fever, on 24 August 2015 - 07:07 AM, said:

Mate awesome I have been in every memorial in Wasington D.C never found a tank about all these war. I wish I could go to a war Museums with tanks or a Tank museum here in North America. Cool mate

There is one Ordnance Museum that I know of that displays a crap load of tanks and its located at the Aberdeen Proving Ground Maryland.  However I had heard they are in the process of moving the museum to Ft. Lee Virginia.

Edited by jky44, 30 August 2015 - 03:00 PM.

Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users