Around the Campfire - [SPUD] and [SPUDX] - Tactics, Tips, Brags, and General Spuddery.

Campers N Taters [SPUD] [SPUDX] campfire tater nation tater prom dress

• Please log in to reply
9996 replies to this topic

ahredstealth #1 Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:06 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 18235 battles
  • [SPUD]

Welcome to the Camp Fire Thread.

This is the place for Campers and Taters to gather and get to know each other.  Want into SPUD?  Let us get to know you here.  First and foremost, we don't care about 1337 stats.  If you want in, we have to make certain you will be a good fit for the group, which starts with attitude.

If you just want to hang with us, that's fine too.  There are plenty of open chairs around the campfire.  Grab one, and pull it up.  We're a friendly bunch that doesn't get to riled up that often.

If we have a SPUD EVENT coming up, like a scheduled count down, or deep fry weekend or something, I'll try to post up the even time right HERE: (In addition to SPUDS making their own threads.)

UPCOMING SPUD EVENTS AND DETAILS:

Painting Tanks with Persil ~ Friday nights at 11:15 on channel 45 (The All Potato Network - check your local directories) Persil will be showing everyone how to hand paint camo onto your tanks, and which shades bring out the color of your eyes the best.  He will also be showing people how to paint "happy trees and happy bushes."  Whatever that means.

Rust Repair with Tinman ~ Every sixth Friday of the month Tinman has volunteered to remove rust and do body work to old tanks.  He also knocks out dents, buffs, polishes, and greases joints and hinges.  All for free.  Great Service!  Relatively Speedy!  He even managed to get the cigar smell out of my KV-1.  I don't know how, and I didn't ask.  His shop is just outside the Cap Circle on Port Bay.  Park OUTSIDE the circle.  He says the air raid sirens get old real fast.

Zip_Zip's youtube channel with random tank/strategy guides can be found by clicking this sentence.

Psyberius has a channel too.  Psylent Productions.  Clever name!  Clever Game Play!  Win~Win.  Click the centance.  When I do it, it just looks misspelled.

Bg2B's Youtube Channel.  Much M4, and other random games...  If you want to watch Bg as he works his way from good to great, start at the beginning and flow through to the end.

TEAM SPEAK INFO

TEAMSPEAK INFO:  Special thanks to Furicle.  Way to be a pro-active SPUD!

View Postfuricle, on 09 August 2015 - 09:50 AM, said:

Teamspeak is up an running for any spuds (and buds) who'd like to use it.

Address: 

I put a password on it, just so the whole world can't use it - PM me here, or in game, or tweet @furicle and I'll give it to you.

Back to the original post:

First piece of advice given in the Campfire Thread.  Folks tell me it's still relevant so I'm putting it back in:

FAQ:

Q:  Hi!  I'd like to join Campers and Taters!  What are your stat requirements?

A:  Don't be a giant [edited]bag.  That's our biggie.  The rest is not really an issue.

Q:  What's the difference between [SPUD] and [SPUDX]?

A:  [SPUD] is where the Taters are.  [SPUDX] is where we keep the Other Taters.

Q:  Are you guys currently recruiting?

A:  We don't ever really stop.  We just don't ever really actively recruit either.  Because Karmic Synergy.

Q:  Who is in Charge?

A:  Karmic Synergy.  And we sorta discuss stuff as a group before we do anything... so sometimes it takes a while.

Q:  Is it true that Stealth Only Shoots Premium Ammo?

A:  Completely False.  I fired an AP round once when first started and didn't know any better.

Q:  What does Furcile's name mean?

A:  

צו געפֿינען די ענטפֿערס איר זוכן, איר מוזן קוקן ין. אבער דאַנק פֿאַר טריינג Google זעץ.

Q:  How do I "Survive More?"

A:  Flip the Switch in the Settings Menu.

Q: What's with the Prom Dress thing?

A:  There are some things you don't just ask.  You have to live them.  Can a bird explain to you how to fly?  Or a Fish how to swim?  Potato rituals are much like that.  And don't touch the tiara.

And now, Onto the Signatures:

Please feel free to grab one if you so choose.  The cost is saying 1 nice thing to someone in the game.  Most people playing today will never be able to afford a single Signature here...

Spoiler

And there you go.

Edited by ahredstealth, 17 January 2017 - 10:50 PM.

Wargaming server will serving you kindly

BearHawkMan #2 Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:42 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 7066 battles
  • [DFNT]
Great tip, I heard Zeven (super Unicum wot pc player) say something similar to that. He was talking about how he wins games solo is that he puts pubbies in the easiest situation possible. He takes all the fire and does all the hard stuff, while they just move their mouse, scope in, and shoot.

YouTube: Here | I AM A BOY MEME

Suggestions: Ranked MM/Leagues | Friends List Improvements

Need a TS? Join @ vs26.tserverhq.com:7244 | Old Sig: Here

Come watch me play video games LIVE at twitch.tv/bearhawkman

Psyberius #3 Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:46 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29241 battles
Sweet! Our own thread! Thanks, Stealth! Love the Firefly reference BTW. I generally employ Mal's "If someone tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back." doctrine LOL

"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

SteelCityHammer #4 Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11188 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Spuds: just checking in on the new comm channel.  Glad this is up and running. 

Lots of value to be had here.  I look forward to learning a thing or two from a lot of you, and helping others when I can (just watch what I do, and then do something different.  It will probably work better.)

Regards, SCH

Psyberius #5 Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29241 battles
I just had a thought. Scary, I know. Perhaps we should post the Teamspeak channel that furicle set up for us in the OP? 

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

tinmanic #6 Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:28 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17827 battles
  • [SPUD]

Hey fellow SPUDs, check this out:  http://wotbstars.com/clans.php?cln=SPUD&geo=NA&lang=eng

I updated Wotbstars on my lunch break, and we're up to 45 with a few on their way in...Stealth - might be worth adding the link to your OP?  

A SPUD at heart

and potato at stomach  

My Stats:

SteelCityHammer #7 Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11188 battles
  • [SPUDX]

This Teamspeak is a new concept for me.  When I need a new tech or comm method I usually just call IT....

I'm interested in the idea of adopting it on an optional basis.  We will need a tech savvy spud to take lead on this and do an informal "TS for tech challenged" post so dumb taters like myself can figure out how to make it work. 

Regards, SCH

FavreDollarFootlong #8 Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

Good stuff 'stealth!

Just to expand on the advice a bit; know your tanks strengths and weaknesses and more importantly, your role on the battlefield!

For info on your tank(s) study these forums and/or visit http://wiki.wargaming.net it's a great source. (The info on the site is for the PC version of WoT, but most of the info is relevant to WoT Biltz).

And, for my biggest pet peeve; know your role on the battlefield!

1 - A light/medium tanks *primary responsibility is to spot enemies for the heavies and TDs. On most maps you should be in front of your team, but not in such a way where you expose yourself to damage - use bushes, rocks and terrain as cover.

2 - A heavy tanks *primary responsibility is to be on the battle front, focusing fire on the tanks that the mediums were kind enough to spot for you.

(One important thing to note, especially in higher tiers; there are 2 types of heavies. For example: a Maus or E 100 are true heavies, an FV215b or T110E5 are considered "heaviums" and in most cases shouldn't be on the front line, but just behind the "true" heavies on the second line).

If you're flanking or sniping from your spawn, you are doing it wrong and most times it will result in a loss.

3 - A TDs *primary responsibility is to be in the rear of the charge, focusing fire on the targets the heavies are engaging.

We've all heard other tankers rage at TDs that are sniping from their spawn, but provided they're landing shots and doing damage, I'm OK with it.

If you're in a position for more than 15 - 20 seconds without a target, it's time to relocate.

You probably noticed I mentioned focus fire several times, it's because I see so many tankers not doing it. You should always try to engage the same target your teammates are shooting at - the quicker that red cannon is out of the game the better!

Also, and this is still tough for me. At the beginning of the battle, if you feel your team has chosen to take off in the wrong direction, do not take off solo. & tanks going in the wrong direction is better than 1 tank going in the right direction. Don't be that guy who solos his way into 3 reds and starts spamming the "SOS" button...

Again, these are just the most generic and basic of strategies, hence the *. Every map/battle will present a different scenario. That's why it's so important to read all the guides and watch all the videos available on these forums that are applicable to your tanks. Some smart tankers put a lot of effort into sharing the knowledge they have gained with us, take advantage of it!

Edited by FavreDollarFootlong, 10 August 2015 - 04:46 PM.

ruggs225 #9 Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:51 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 25846 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Good advice.  That still seems to be my biggest challenge.  Not taking damage. I usually dish pretty decent damage, but I'm always taking way to much.

Sometimes, the tunnel vision kicks in and I might get that kill, but the result is me getting killed or severely depleted.

Also should say that retreating isn't always a bad thing.  If you are in a vulnerable position or outnumbered and can escape and relocate then you should do it.  Even if you survive with only 1 HP your cannon still functions and can still dish out more.

Psyberius #10 Posted 10 August 2015 - 04:54 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29241 battles

View Posttinmanic, on 10 August 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

Hey fellow SPUDs, check this out:  http://wotbstars.com/clans.php?cln=SPUD&geo=NA&lang=eng

I updated Wotbstars on my lunch break, and we're up to 45 with a few on their way in...Stealth - might be worth adding the link to your OP?  

Nice work, tinmanic! And I agree. That'd be sweet to have the link in the OP as well. 

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

FavreDollarFootlong #11 Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:02 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

View Posttinmanic, on 10 August 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

Well, I guess that makes it official! Well played Sir!

Psyberius #12 Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:09 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29241 battles
Sound advice, FavreDollarFootlong. Something that I've found to be very useful to promote focus firing is using the "attack" command while targeting the red you want your team to prioritize. This works especially well if you're in a medium wolf pack. Focus firing can mean the difference between a successful flank and surrounding the reds with your main force or being caught in a stalemate mid flank.

Edited by Psyberius, 10 August 2015 - 05:10 PM.

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

tpcshadow #13 Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 21407 battles
  • [SPUD]

My $0.02

- Use cover! #1 failure of many potatoes. While you're reloading, hide where the enemy can't shoot you; behind a building/rock/whatever. Don't just sit out in the open and let the enemy shoot at you. 

- After you die, if the match is still going on, watch the remaining players on both teams. What are they doing that is successful? What positions are they using? Learn from them.

- after you die, think about what you could do better. Did you YOLO and die too soon? Did you over expose your tank and get shot?

- Be aggressive, but patient and smart. The goal is damage to the enemy, and you can't do that if you're hiding at the back of the map where you can't shoot anyone. However, you have to have a strategic view on it. You want to keep your gun in the game.

- be involved in the battle. Don't just watch and wait and hope someone comes by you can shoot - that's camping and only gets awards in the Boy Scouts. 

- learn some of the tactics mentione on the forums. Especially hull-down (hiding the body of your tank and only exposing a tough turret) and side scraping ( only exposing your side armor at an extreme angle so enemy shots bounce off or just damage your tracks). 

- Learn the strengths and weaknesses of specific tanks you drive. Think ahead how to utilize those strengths and protect the weaknesses. 

- learn places on each map where you can exploit strengths. If you're in a strong hull-down tank (like T29), know where near the battle can go hull down and do damage. This doesn't override the need to be involved in the battle. If you're in a TD, where are good sniping spots. You can learn these by watching after the battle as mentioned above.

- pay attention to what tanks the enemy has and what they are likely to do. A team with lots of TDs will probably have them at common sniping spots; stay out of their line of fire. A team with lots of mediums will probably have some flank, especially on flank-friendly maps.

- don't go alone. You want fire support when you run into enemies.

- unless you're an awsome player, don't flank behind the hill on Mines. Don't go in the middle at the start on Copperfield. Don't flank by the lake on Maliknovka, especially in a slow heavy tank. Don't go straight to cap on any map. 

Feel free to shoot me a platoon request; don't be insulted if I decline - I sometimes squeeze in a few games when I have 15-20 minutes free and don't want to shortchange you with just one platoon game.

ahredstealth #14 Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 18235 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Posttinmanic, on 10 August 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

Yessir.  That's a great idea.  Thanks for taking the reigns on that one.

View PostPsyberius, on 10 August 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

I just had a thought. Scary, I know. Perhaps we should post the Teamspeak channel that furicle set up for us in the OP? 

Also a great idea.  I'll work on that as well.

ahredstealth #15 Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 18235 battles
  • [SPUD]
Does anyone know why Star1 is zero for the vast majority of the team including me?  Is it no tier 10?

nightporter13 #16 Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:26 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 22122 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postahredstealth, on 10 August 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

Does anyone know why Star1 is zero for the vast majority of the team including me?  Is it no tier 10?

Yeah, here is the qualification: "Player must have at least one tier X tank and average tier 6 and above in order to qualify for top 100"

Player must have at least on tier X tank and average tier 6 and above in order to qualify for top 100

FavreDollarFootlong #17 Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:30 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

View Postahredstealth, on 10 August 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

Correctomundo!

nightporter13 #18 Posted 10 August 2015 - 05:32 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 22122 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Posttinmanic, on 10 August 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

Thanks tinmanic.  Although I don't rely on stats often, it's still nice to see everyone on a list.

It was nice seeing some of fellow spuds over the weekend.  Especially tooning with bccchu, who carried most games we played together!

ahredstealth #19 Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:07 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 18235 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postnightporter13, on 10 August 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

Yeah, here is the qualification: "Player must have at least one tier X tank and average tier 6 and above in order to qualify for top 100"

Player must have at least on tier X tank and average tier 6 and above in order to qualify for top 100

Yeah... but I'm not looking to be in the top 100.  I was just looking at... giggle...  a bunch of potatoes... going down the STAR1 side of our clan.

If what you're saying is true, it's quite probable that my STAR1 will never show up on the clan page?  That's...  pretty wild actually...  (I will not give up rolling in my T2 Light just for a STAR1 rating on the clan page.  uh ah.)

Psyberius #20 Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29241 battles
I mostly measure my progress via WR, WN7/8, damage ratio and survival rate. Pretty much anything but STAR1. 

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

25 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 25 guests, 0 anonymous users