Around the Campfire - [SPUD] and [SPUDX] - Tactics, Tips, Brags, and General Spuddery.

Campers N Taters [SPUD] [SPUDX] campfire tater nation tater prom dress

• Please log in to reply
10539 replies to this topic

ruggs225 #101 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31369 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostPsyberius, on 11 August 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

I'm Eastern too. I live in a smallish town about an hour's ride north of Boston, MA. 

I'm eastern as well. 

Paukenwirbel #102 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:19 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42794 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Wow. Very interesting on both comparisons, dementian and FDF!  Will have to keep an eye on these as I play more with these tanks. I too have very little idea how the ratings are calculated!

ruggs225 #103 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31369 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Is anyone from the clan good at the Cent 1, Panther 2 or Caern.  I'm struggling with those and would like to learn from somebody. Also tooning with somebody can maybe help the grind for these go faster and more enjoyable. I have all three of these tanks fully upgraded.  The Cent 1 and Caern have 100% crews and the Panther 2 is at 90%.

As for the T-44 and Pershing talk.  I only have 30 games in the t-44 and don't have it fully upgraded yet.  I see good potential in the tank but the grind is kind hard.  I love my Pershing though. For me the Pershing is one of my most enjoyable tanks, unless I get get into a tier X match.

I'm usually on at night between 8-11pm EST.

ahredstealth #104 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:31 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

Tactics Tuesdays!  Starting on a Wednesday because... POTATO!

I rolled in a couple platoons last night and I came to realize one thing...  I'm a horrible teacher, and I'm even worse at communicating with my platoon mate.  I generally run solo pub matches, and it's definitely affected me.  So I'm going to propose two things that I hope everyone here will at least try.

1) Work on communication with your platoon mates.

I'm not talking novels here.  In the beginning of the battle, a few quick words where you would like to go.  Don't stay silent.  "Hills."   "Left."  "Windmill."  Some of us are new.  Don't expect your platoon mate to know the map just because he's on the forum or in the clan.  Once the battle starts, you should both be moving... talk time is done.  (unless you're on team speak.)  Now we need to use the quick chat.  CALL YOUR SHOT.  You do this by having your aim over a tank, then using your attack quick chat.  It will let your platoon mate know which tank to focus on.  If you can't hit the tank your platoon mate calls out, or see another threat you think is a bigger deal, call out negative, or target the other tank.  If you need to bail, or feel you're heading for a bad spot, use the "Reloading" call out...  We'll use it for "Relocating" or "I want to go somewhere else."

2) After the battle, win lose or draw, take a moment to comment on it.  What worked well?  What didn't work well?  Did you struggle with something?  Did you notice something about your platoon mate?  "Hey, you're COD on that jagtiger was perfect!" or "When I drew that IS-6's attention, I'm glad you circled to his back and light him up!"  or "Next time while the heavy is looking at me, try and circle to his side or back.  I'll try and Call it out... We'll use RELOCATING! so we know."

When Mike and I ran platoons, his insight after the battle was invaluable.  Also, if I did manage to outlive him, he offered live advice during the rest of the game.  Watch out for your platoon mate.  Try and talk.  If he's not angled, tell him, "turn left a bit!  You're still to flat!"  It might save him and the game.

I'm also going to drop this here:

Spoiler

It's a map of Rockfield that's I've marked up with my usual routes.  I feel I'm fairly competent on the map, so I'll offer a bit of advice.  This is pretty much the path I take in my mediums.  I like the hills.  I don't go cap as it just doesn't seem to work on this map.

The yellow arrows I roll out, head up the hill and make a brief stop at the first red square (labeled 1) as that lets me spot any tanks that head to cap or go to snipe on top the hills.  I'll put a quick shot, maybe a few, but I don't tend to stay here, as it's pretty open and you'll get lit up and burned down.  Next I move to the edge of the ridge with my back almost toward the cap circle at the next red square. (labeled 2)  I pull forward and backward on the ledge like the small red arrows show, which pops my turret over the ledge, I'll shoot, and then I pull back.  Rinse and Repeat.  Always be moving, and you'll bounce more shots.  Your real threats here are any tanks in the purple square by the bunker, as they have easy shots at you, and tanks in the purple box on the groove leading down to spawn because typically you will not have the gun depression to hit them without over exposing your self.  Either you or your platoon mate will want to clear them out as quickly as possible.  

Speaking of platoon mates, the Green H squares are little recesses in the ground where Hull Down Heavies can play.  I've used that spot with a IS-3's and IS-6's and it works pretty okay.  Remember to wiggle, and stay in the depression when you're not shooting.  You pop up to shoot, then slink back.  If you're rolling in say, and American Heavy like the new T14, or the heavy thingie Easy-8, then you want to have your tank front propped up on the hill, use your depression, and angle, and you'll start to really bounce shots of similar tiers.  T34s and such require a deeper hole to hide in, and tend to stay back further on the arrow path where they can hide their whole hull.  (admittedly not as much of an upper tier American Heavy guy... if you have a better spot feel free to toss it out there.)

Once the battle has progressed, from the yellow arrows, I'll dive into the groove going down to cap...  It lets me reset the cap timer, sneak up and shoot pesky Reds hiding behind the opposite ridge, and also spot just a little deeper.  Don't rush to this spot unless you know you have back up.  High reward, but also high risk.

Starting from the orange arrows, I'll head up my path.  I duck out quick on this route to spot over the cap area as well, but this spot I DO NOT STOP.  You will get lit up from the cap area, and the bunker area.  Proceed to the ridge, and set up there where the light blue square is.  Rock back and forth, rain shells on the opposition across the way, pull behind cover while reloading.  Watch the bunker area, that's your danger zone.  Again, you have a hull down area for slim heavies, low tier American Heavies with good slopes on the hull marked in the H but this time, if you're a platoon mate and you are both moving fast, one can take the bunker in purple, and the other can take the Ridge...  You basically will have the upper plane covered as long as neither one of you get overly ambitious.

The Bunker has a berm leading toward the ridge.  If you have poor gun depression you're going to have to watch that you don't pull out and take away your own shot, while leaving yourself exposed.

And that's pretty much what I have to say about that.  I like these areas because they give good cover, easy cap reset, and plenty of opportunity.

Comments/Questions/Concerns/Additions?

Anyone else want to take a map and give advice/tips/general oversight?  They are on the wot blitz wiki for anyone to work with.

Thanks boys and girls.  Please pass the marshmallows.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

furicle #105 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:35 PM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 51377 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostPaukenwirbel, on 12 August 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

Wow. Very interesting on both comparisons, dementian and FDF!  Will have to keep an eye on these as I play more with these tanks. I too have very little idea how the ratings are calculated!

face lays it out pretty clearly on the star1 page - e.g. http://wotbstars.com/star1.php?usr=Paukenwirbel&geo=NA&lng=eng

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

Prammo comes naturally to a golden russet...

yhfjhrhrhfrhrdj #106 Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28416 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostFavreDollarFootlong, on 12 August 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

So, was the count-in a success?

Yes it was! It was a blast. At first it was me and usrbinperl in a teir IX platoon. he was in his M103 and me in my Patton M46. This was the first time for me to platoon while using TS and I have to say it was great. We would talk strategy, and if one of us got wasted we help shout red team positions to the one that was still going and so on. Its so much easier then tying to type it out.... We were able to win our first 5 battles by doing this. Then as the night went on sonnet joined us and we dropped down to tier VIII and that's when it really got fun.  nightporter drop in also and platooned with sonnet. We tried the count down so we could have two SPUD platoons on the same team but we couldn't get it to work out that way and they would end up on the red team,and that was interesting to say the lest,  but it was still loads of fun. Then I think NoStuck2150 joined later and platooned with sonnet. This was the most fun that I have had on Blitz in a long time.

I would like to give a shout out to furicle for setting up the TS sever and also to stealth for stating this clan, for if it wasn't for the SPUD's I would have quit Blitz for it was becoming to much of a job instead of a game, and thanks to stealth and all you SPUD's out there for making this game fun again. Keep on Tank'n all you SPUD's, and if you cant " Don't cry because its over... Smile because it happened" :honoring:  

PS if we have a grammar cop, don't rip me to bad, I hated English in school LOL.

Have SPUD, will BUD

tpcshadow #107 Posted 12 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39337 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostPaukenwirbel, on 12 August 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

I agree with essentially all that's been said on the T-44/Pershing debate.  T-44 grind was painful until getting the LB-1 gun and top engine.  

Dementian is totally right on how it appears that players seem to have a higher rating for lower average WR  in Pershing for some reason.  For me, I think that's because MM seems to put me in more games as low-tier in the Pershing than in the T-44.  YMMV.

My Pershing WR took some serous hits the other night in Tier IX games with heavies and TDs flanking on Winter Malinovka and similar follies.  Still, at 57.6%WR in the M26 Pershing, 92 games in, the different metrics have me classified as "good" to "great."  Not sure I'm either, but my classifications in the T-44 (over twice the number of games) are the same with a 61.5%WR.  

Dementian is onto something here.  I really like both tanks. Very different playstyle.

I believe that face4stars (owner of wotbstars.com) said that on the U.S. servers, people were more likely to rush up the U.S. Medium track. So you have more noobs playing Pershings and dragging down the averages compared to the T-44.

Psyberius #108 Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:00 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles

View PostPheldagriff, on 12 August 2015 - 11:15 AM, said:

Theme Song -

What the heck did I just watch? LOL

"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Psyberius #109 Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:05 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles

View Postyhfjhrhrhfrhrdj, on 12 August 2015 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yes it was! It was a blast. At first it was me and usrbinperl in a teir IX platoon. he was in his M103 and me in my Patton M46. This was the first time for me to platoon while using TS and I have to say it was great. We would talk strategy, and if one of us got wasted we help shout red team positions to the one that was still going and so on. Its so much easier then tying to type it out.... We were able to win our first 5 battles by doing this. Then as the night went on sonnet joined us and we dropped down to tier VIII and that's when it really got fun.  nightporter drop in also and platooned with sonnet. We tried the count down so we could have two SPUD platoons on the same team but we couldn't get it to work out that way and they would end up on the red team,and that was interesting to say the lest,  but it was still loads of fun. Then I think NoStuck2150 joined later and platooned with sonnet. This was the most fun that I have had on Blitz in a long time.

I would like to give a shout out to furicle for setting up the TS sever and also to stealth for stating this clan, for if it wasn't for the SPUD's I would have quit Blitz for it was becoming to much of a job instead of a game, and thanks to stealth and all you SPUD's out there for making this game fun again. Keep on Tank'n all you SPUD's, and if you cant " Don't cry because its over... Smile because it happened" :honoring:  

PS if we have a grammar cop, don't rip me to bad, I hated English in school LOL.

I think for count ins with many players it would be best not to platoon because MM will automatically try to put the platoons on opposing sides. 

"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

Pheldagriff #110 Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9131 battles

View PostPsyberius, on 12 August 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

What the heck did I just watch? LOL

The [SPUD] theme song!!

(please make it the theme song ^.^)

"Sucking is the First Step to Being Sorta Good at Something"

tinmanic #111 Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:50 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 31290 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostPheldagriff, on 12 August 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Theme Song -

oh my gosh...perfection!

Stealth & Tinman looking spudly

My Stats:

FavreDollarFootlong #112 Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:50 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

SonnetVolta and I had a very un-[SPUD]-like battle today, our apologies... If you haven't had the pleasure of tooning with him yet, be sure to pencil him in, he's a beast!

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by FavreDollarFootlong, 13 August 2015 - 12:16 PM.

FavreDollarFootlong #113 Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:58 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

Ugh, I hate hate posting pics from my iPad! Be sure to read the text at the top of the first spoiler lol!

Why does it have to be so difficult WG?!

SonnetVolta #114 Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15037 battles
  • [SPUDX]
FavreDollar is modest enough not to mention his own weighty contributions to our carries this morning. I'll post some screenshots when I get to my laptop. Watch this space!

On platooning: prior to being a SPUD, I had only ever platooned with Libereco, SieurPersil, Alexbuildit, and Lephturn. Now I've platooned with five or six SPUDs, so it's increasingly likely that I'll need to get aquainted with some different playstyles. Here's my add-on to Ahredstealth's good advice:

0. Before you click battle, tell the platoonmate how you play. Spend a sentence or two: "I play slow British heavies. My accuracy is great, but my dmg is low. I rarely climb hills because no gun depression. I head to cap circle at 2:30 most maps. I use reloading button to mean 'I'm okay, but please notice where I am.' If I repeatedly ping a red target, that means I have him permatracked and you should go kill him. What about you?"

Think of it like sex, or like the barbershop if sex unsettles you in analogies: you can trust the skilled person to intuit what you want, or you can explain what you want and win.

better sig

SieurPersil #115 Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:43 AM

Knight of the Round Potato

• Players
  • 25048 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Great text Stealth !  Good strategy tips and insights on platooning. FavreDollar is right on the money : SonnetVolta is a beast !!! Platooning is a very different playstyle than playing solo. Communication, the capacity to adapt to different tactics that you are used to and "reading" your platoonmate are key. Platooning does not work with anyone I find. If you do find someone that fits well with you, you will have a great time. After a while, you complete each other perfectly. Like mentionned above, at the beggining of a match, just a quick word : left, right, city, desert, mill or a "you lead" works great. During game, focus fire and protect each other. Dont block each other but do step in front of your toonmate to take a shot to alternate or absorb one if his HP is low. A post game breakdown is also important. Talk about what worked and didnt. About how you usually approach a certain situation or map.Learn from each other and adapt to each other.

Volunteer Tater Ambassador - Potentate Relationship Manager - Inter Clan Camping Liaison Officer. Knight of the round potato. Information regarding the hamac or our adirondack chairs available. Quote of the moment : "Will focus fire on WriterDude for beer"

t4four #116 Posted 13 August 2015 - 02:07 AM

Fix the cigarette lighter

• Players
  • 41703 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostFavreDollarFootlong, on 12 August 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

Ugh, I hate hate posting pics from my iPad! Be sure to read the text at the top of the first spoiler lol!

I have started to upload to imgur from my iPad and then wait until I can get on my computer to post to the forum. It removes the frustration a little.  Also, I don't know why, but I am amused by SonnetVolta's single base capture point.  Nice job representing the clan you two.
I like turtles

Ookla_the_Mok #117 Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:19 AM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28800 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View Postahredstealth, on 12 August 2015 - 10:31 AM, said:

Tactics Tuesdays!  Starting on a Wednesday because... POTATO!

1) Work on communication with your platoon mates.

The struggle is real. I stink at this more often than not though I do handle a pre-game shorthand fairly well. The timing of communicating can be tricky and hopefully as I platoon more regularly I will get the hang of exactly when to call out information.

Great information in the rest of this post but my brain is too tired to respond in a meaningful way. This thread may provide for some good tactical discussion because it is a sharing concept instead of the definitive type guides that exist elsewhere. 

BRSKT Discord - Now 46% Dale Doback, 28% Gritty, and 26% folklore.
Alternatively you can check out
 [BRSKT]  

Ookla_the_Mok #118 Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:21 AM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28800 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View PostFavreDollarFootlong, on 12 August 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

Sorry, i meant to multiquote. Make sure to use Chrome as your browser and select the full desktop version of the forum NOT the mobile version.  

[BRSKT]  

Ookla_the_Mok #119 Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:47 AM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28800 battles
  • [BRSKT]

3 posts in a row... how potato.

Shout out to Gusman4 for attempting to drag my corpse around various maps. We had never platooned before and he carried while I went straight to mentalerrorsville.

[BRSKT]  

Junk_Fuel #120 Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11579 battles
  • [SPUD]

Tatic Tuesday brillant idea. Lol. And I agree. I need to work on my communication aswell. I get in the mood sometimes.lol

View Postruggs225, on 12 August 2015 - 04:31 PM, said:

Is anyone from the clan good at the Cent 1, Panther 2 or Caern.  I'm struggling with those and would like to learn from somebody. Also tooning with somebody can maybe help the grind for these go faster and more enjoyable. I have all three of these tanks fully upgraded.  The Cent 1 and Caern have 100% crews and the Panther 2 is at 90%.

As for the T-44 and Pershing talk.  I only have 30 games in the t-44 and don't have it fully upgraded yet.  I see good potential in the tank but the grind is kind hard.  I love my Pershing though. For me the Pershing is one of my most enjoyable tanks, unless I get get into a tier X match.

I'm usually on at night between 8-11pm EST.

I may be able to help with the cent.  I have yet to get the other tanks on your list.  Tho the Panther has a similar play style.  Busy atm to write a guide.  But #1 rule with cent.  Never expose your hull. Hull down. Cent has the best gun depression in game.  Use it. also do not try to sidescrape with the cent. It does not work....only with pea shooting tanks will your side armour bounce shots. 

New Sig ^^ Stats

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users