Around the Campfire - [SPUD] and [SPUDX] - Tactics, Tips, Brags, and General Spuddery.

Campers N Taters [SPUD] [SPUDX] campfire tater nation tater prom dress

• Please log in to reply
9980 replies to this topic

ahredstealth #21 Posted 10 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 18235 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostPsyberius, on 10 August 2015 - 12:19 PM, said:

I mostly measure my progress via WR, WN7/8, damage ratio and survival rate. Pretty much anything but STAR1. 

I don't mind STAR1, to be honest...  but yeah, it's less about what my number is and more about whether it's going up or down, and why.

A while back (I think I posted this elsewhere as well.) my winrate dropped to right about 50%  (the win rate over time is a cool feature), and I had been rolling a solid 60% before that.  I started to wonder why?  (It had to be bad teams right?)

Look at the data, my spotting went up, my damage went up, damage per game went up, survival dropped.

I was being to aggressive.  Not following my simple rule up above.  I was dying, and it costed games.  Sure, I was doing more damage, but that's because I always had someone to shoot at...  just like the Reds did.  I would die at a strategic location, and then the Reds would have it after I was gone... my team would struggle to get it back... and suddenly everything was explainable.

I do use the stats that we have...  I just don't want to obsess over them.  I've been wanting to get over 60% win rate for the past couple weeks... but I won't change my normal play style (run straight Matilda for the next 25 games) or play amounts to get it.  It'll happen if it's meant too.

Now that I'm thinking about it, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to post up what tiers people have tanks in, for platooning and what not.

Right now I'm rolling tier 2 through 9.

I've got premiums in every tier 2-8, so I'll always have those if anyone needs any help.

I've got in Tier 2: T2 light, Tetrarch, Pz. 38H  (I'm proficient in the T2 and the Tetrarch)

Tier 3: Pz S35, M3 Light, T-127  (Decent with them all, pretty good in the S35)

Tier 4: A-32 (I'm okay with this tank)

Tier 5: Ram II, T14, T49, T-25, Churchill III (I'm pretty good with the CH III, decent with the T14 & T-25, and the Ram II I struggle with.  The T49 is in there because I will never sell that tank.  I'm pretty good with it.  It's one of my favorite in the game.)

Tier 6: Fury, Victory, TOG II* (I'm decent in the Fury, pretty good in the Victory, and I'm Terribad at TOG'ing.)

Tier 7: AT 15A (I'm so-so.  Good games and bad.)

Tier 8: IS-6, T34 Indy (I'm decent in the IS-6, and so-so in the Indy.)

On top of that I've got random tanks I'm grinding through the spectrum, and my top is an IS-8 which I'm so-so in.  Hope to have a T-54 in the next week or so...  Depending on play time and in game funding.

Wargaming server will serving you kindly

FavreDollarFootlong #22 Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:09 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

View Postahredstealth, on 10 August 2015 - 12:07 PM, said:

Yeah... but I'm not looking to be in the top 100.  I was just looking at... giggle...  a bunch of potatoes... going down the STAR1 side of our clan.

If what you're saying is true, it's quite probable that my STAR1 will never show up on the clan page?  That's...  pretty wild actually...  (I will not give up rolling in my T2 Light just for a STAR1 rating on the clan page.  uh ah.)

Another caveat of STAR1 (I think...) is it penalizes you for platooning, WN7/8 do not.

ahredstealth #23 Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:13 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 18235 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostFavreDollarFootlong, on 10 August 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Another caveat of STAR1 (I think...) is it penalizes you for platooning, WN7/8 do not.

Yes it does.  You can see exactly how it effects each value by clicking on it.

EDIT: Don't let that keep you from platooning.  The stuff you learn/someone having your back more then make up for a random stat dropping.  Some people get hung up on that.  It's just not worth it.

Edited by ahredstealth, 10 August 2015 - 07:14 PM.

Wargaming server will serving you kindly

Psyberius #24 Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:29 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29241 battles
I love the history feature on wotbstars too. Very helpful in catching trends. I have at least a few tanks in tiers II through X so I can match up well with pretty much anyone for platooning. You're gonna love the T-54 BTW. I highly recommend free XPing at least the turret and D-10T2C gun (the one that leads to the Object 140) and gold your crew to 100% if you can. 

"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

FavreDollarFootlong #25 Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:32 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

View Postahredstealth, on 10 August 2015 - 01:13 PM, said:

Yes it does.  You can see exactly how it effects each value by clicking on it.

EDIT: Don't let that keep you from platooning.  The stuff you learn/someone having your back more then make up for a random stat dropping.  Some people get hung up on that.  It's just not worth it.

I had only platooned about 6 times prior to joining [SPUD]. I tooned about 13 times over the weekend with fellow spudsters, had a blast and won more than we lost. SonnetVolta and I even stole a win from a unicum platoon yesterday.

So yes, I'll be tooning early and often! :playing:

N0sc0pr #26 Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:33 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3986 battles

Anybody up for a platoon in a few hours? I'm not that good, but I can usually get some damage in.

Here are the tanks in my garage if you're interested in a platoon:

Tier 7 - Tiger

Tier 6 - T-34-85 (stock!)

Tier 3 - M2 Medium

"The person who said that the pen was mightier than the sword has obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

'You're an f'in ugly tank! I wanna HEAT you to death, then play with your wreck.'

Psyberius #27 Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29241 battles

View PostFavreDollarFootlong, on 10 August 2015 - 02:09 PM, said:

True. But it is done that way to compensate for an assumed increase in WR by the platoon. I read somewhere (written by face4stars himself) that the platoon penalty is statistically less than the overall gain in WR by platooned players. So as Stealth said, don't let that discourage you from platooning. The overall gain is worth it. Plus platooning is funner :P

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

furicle #28 Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 35514 battles
  • [SPUD]

On the 'advice' theme - two things that have really helped me out the last couple months.

1. If you're driving a light or medium - NEVER take the same shot three times, or even twice if you're rolling a real tinfoil medium (T20, Comet, Cromwell).  Move!
  2. If you're driving most heavies - learn how to side scrape.  You might think you know (I did) but from what I've seen out there, the odds are you don't!   Start with this page on the forums, and this video from that page.  If most of that seems obvious to you, watch this video especially starting at 16:49.  That was a gigantic eye-opener for me, I bet my WR in my IS-4 has doubled since watching it, and it's helped my other heavies too.

Edited by furicle, 10 August 2015 - 09:27 PM.

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

Prammo comes naturally to a golden russet...

furicle #29 Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:05 PM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 35514 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostPsyberius, on 10 August 2015 - 01:19 PM, said:

I mostly measure my progress via WR, WN7/8, damage ratio and survival rate. Pretty much anything but STAR1. 

Well, I'm the 29th spud by WR, but number 6 by STAR1,  so obviously STAR1 is much superior...

Although you're kicking my butt at all the above - especially survival rate! 

:B

Edited by furicle, 10 August 2015 - 09:04 PM.

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

nightporter13 #30 Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 22122 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postfuricle, on 10 August 2015 - 11:52 AM, said:

1. If you're driving most heavies - learn how to side scrape.  You might think you know (I did) but from what I've seen out there, the odds are you don't!   Start with this page on the forums, and this video from that page.  If most of that seems obvious to you, watch this video.  That was a gigantic eye-opener for me, I bet my WR in my IS-4 has doubled since watching it, and it's helped my other heavies too.

Great point about side scraping.  It took me too many games to learn this concept(before joining this forum).  

There is also a helpful app called Armor Inspector that helps with viewing armor of each vehicle.  Probably most Spuds are already aware, but thought I'd mention it.

iOS: https://itunes.apple...d905734645?mt=8

Android: https://play.google.....android2&hl=en

Psyberius #31 Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:16 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29241 battles

View Postfuricle, on 10 August 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

On the 'advice' theme - two things that have really helped me out the last couple months.

1. If you're driving a light or medium - NEVER take the same shot three times, or even twice if you're rolling a real tinfoil medium (T20, Comet, Cromwell).  Move!
  2. If you're driving most heavies - learn how to side scrape.  You might think you know (I did) but from what I've seen out there, the odds are you don't!   Start with this page on the forums, and this video from that page.  If most of that seems obvious to you, watch this video.  That was a gigantic eye-opener for me, I bet my WR in my IS-4 has doubled since watching it, and it's helped my other heavies too.

Agreed. The only exception to rule 1 is if you are aware of tank reload times and depending how many reds you're dealing with and your position relative to them. Once you get good at map awareness, camo and cover usage and knowing reload times, you can abuse most heavies and their crap reload times and hit them twice for every one of their shots. The two for one rule alone has made a big difference in my damage ratio, especially at higher tiers. If you can keep hitting a target and they don't even turn their turret or otherwise can't/won't damage you, I say keep firing. But this comes with experience. 

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

furicle #32 Posted 10 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 35514 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostPsyberius, on 10 August 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

Agreed. The only exception to rule 1 is if you are aware of tank reload times and depending how many reds you're dealing with and your position relative to them. Once you get good at map awareness, camo and cover usage and knowing reload times, you can abuse most heavies and their crap reload times and hit them twice for every one of their shots. The two for one rule alone has made a big difference in my damage ratio, especially at higher tiers. If you can keep hitting a target and they don't even turn their turret or otherwise can't/won't damage you, I say keep firing. But this comes with experience. 

You're right of course, as long as the heavy isn't playing peek-a-boom too, or has a friend you don't see (as you said).

My problem is if I don't watch it I end up playing mediums (especially the slower ones like the Panther, Pershing etc) like a heavy, which they suck at, the whole time fooling myself into thinking I'm accomplishing something.  I have to force myself to MOVE when driving a medium, or I end up way to static.  The two shot rule helps keep my bad habit in check.  Lephturn and Lokeen mentioned the same thing in a podcast a while back - seems like I'm not the only one with the issue.

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

furicle #33 Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:03 PM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 35514 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postnightporter13, on 10 August 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

Yeah, here is the qualification: "Player must have at least one tier X tank and average tier 6 and above in order to qualify for top 100"

Player must have at least on tier X tank and average tier 6 and above in order to qualify for top 100

Not quite right I think - that's the top 100 page quote?

For the clan page I'm guessing it's the regular stats page note - You have to 100 games in tier 10 to get an 'official' Star 1 rating

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

t4four #34 Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

Fix the cigarette lighter

• Players
  • 26121 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Postfuricle, on 10 August 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

For the clan page I'm guessing it's the regular stats page note - You have to 100 games in tier 10 to get an 'official' Star 1 rating

I think you are correct, otherwise I have what is necessary.

"T4, what are you doing THERE?" - Ahredstealth

The single most game changing question I have been asked in Blitz.

nightporter13 #35 Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 22122 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postfuricle, on 10 August 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

You're right on both counts, I misread the Star1 description.  Here are some answers to the original question from their FAQ:

• Why players without higher tier tanks are getting a zero rating for these tiers? STAR1 is focusing on advanced players who have completed at least one full grind. It could not be guessed how players would play at tier X before he got a tier X. Tier X performance is critical for evaluating a player. It is required to complete a full grind to be competitive with STAR1.
  • What if a player does not have higher tier tanks because they have not been unlocked yet? - It will be a zero rating for these tiers and it will make a severe negative impact on the final number. In essence to be completive with STAR1 players should have at least one tier X tank.

In short, as you've stated, you need to complete at least 100 battles in at least one tier 10.  Thanks for correction.

Edited by nightporter13, 10 August 2015 - 10:24 PM.

Libereco #36 Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19271 battles
Finally a non-edgy and non-egotistical full of kids clan. I approve this clan and post. Keep it going, guise.

tpcshadow #37 Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 21407 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostPsyberius, on 10 August 2015 - 02:16 PM, said:

The other exception is a medium with a well armored turret (T-54, Centurion 7/1) in a good hull down spot. 

t4four #38 Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:02 PM

Fix the cigarette lighter

• Players
  • 26121 battles
  • [SPUDX]
If you look at my survival rate, you will see that I can't get that "stay alive" concept through my thick skull.  I will offer this bit of experience as an alternative.  If you are going to die, die well.  If you are caught trading shots with a couple greens as back up and you are the unlucky one to catch the focus fire, turn your tank to give your guys a good hull down position.  If a sniper gets you, call out where the shot came from.  If I am a low health/low tier tank, I have to qualms about going for the hat trick a being the low hanging fruit. Most can't resist a shot and will over extend themselves to get you.  So please stay alive, but remember, even if you die, you are still in the battle.

"T4, what are you doing THERE?" - Ahredstealth

The single most game changing question I have been asked in Blitz.

aramikvideo19 #39 Posted 10 August 2015 - 10:21 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4336 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Survival is a big issue with me as well. Sometimes, I think I may be too worried about being perceived as a coward and end up putting myself into bad situations because of it. One thing I've been trying to work on is keeping myself out of situations in which I'm exposed to multiple reds simultaneously, i.e., better situational awareness.

"Traditionally, Spuds love to fight. All real Spuds love the sting of battle."

I am the official beer wench of the Spuds. I may not be a unicum, but I keep the suds flowing.

tinmanic #40 Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:25 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17827 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostLibereco, on 10 August 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

Finally a non-edgy and non-egotistical full of kids clan. I approve this clan and post. Keep it going, guise.

thanks, Libereco, having you chime in here and the other thread with words of encouragement didn't go unnoticed - helps to solidify our group & its meaning, and is much appreciated!!  I get all sappy when I think of pixel tanks

A SPUD at heart

and potato at stomach  

My Stats:

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users