Jump to content


Around the Campfire - [SPUD] and [SPUDX] - Tactics, Tips, Brags, and General Spuddery.

Campers N Taters [SPUD] [SPUDX] campfire tater nation tater prom dress

  • Please log in to reply
10138 replies to this topic

Psyberius #41 Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:49 PM

    Prestige Worldwide

  • Players
  • 29241 battles
  • 1,560
  • Member since:
    07-01-2014

View PostLibereco, on 10 August 2015 - 04:56 PM, said:

Finally a non-edgy and non-egotistical full of kids clan. I approve this clan and post. Keep it going, guise.

Thanks, Libereco! That means a lot coming from a fellow forumer and skilled player such as yourself!

We may be taters but we ain't haters. It goes against our no D-baggery rule. 

"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper


tinmanic #42 Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:53 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 19316 battles
  • 864
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    04-24-2015

View Postaramikvideo19, on 10 August 2015 - 06:21 PM, said:

Survival is a big issue with me as well. Sometimes, I think I may be too worried about being perceived as a coward and end up putting myself into bad situations because of it. One thing I've been trying to work on is keeping myself out of situations in which I'm exposed to multiple reds simultaneously, i.e., better situational awareness.

 

amen, brother - I used to be that guy that would feel sorry for the lone wolf that would just go off on his own to flank or whatever by himself, and I'd try and catch up w/ him just to give him a fighting chance...only to get smoked along with him.  So your comment about not getting needlessly exposed resonated. 

A SPUD at heart

 and potato at stomach  

 

My Stats:

tinmanic #43 Posted 10 August 2015 - 11:57 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 19316 battles
  • 864
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    04-24-2015

View Postfuricle, on 10 August 2015 - 03:52 PM, said:

On the 'advice' theme - two things that have really helped me out the last couple months.

 

  1. If you're driving a light or medium - NEVER take the same shot three times, or even twice if you're rolling a real tinfoil medium (T20, Comet, Cromwell).  Move!
  2. If you're driving most heavies - learn how to side scrape.  You might think you know (I did) but from what I've seen out there, the odds are you don't!   Start with this page on the forums, and this video from that page.  If most of that seems obvious to you, watch this video especially starting at 16:49.  That was a gigantic eye-opener for me, I bet my WR in my IS-4 has doubled since watching it, and it's helped my other heavies too.

 

I really like this, Furicicle, thanks. I've got to hammer #1 into my head some how...habits are hard for me to break - so after grinding a heavy for a while I'll start driving a medium or TD the same way without even thinking about it

A SPUD at heart

 and potato at stomach  

 

My Stats:

Psyberius #44 Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:00 AM

    Prestige Worldwide

  • Players
  • 29241 battles
  • 1,560
  • Member since:
    07-01-2014
So I'm noticing a bit of a trend here concerning survival and mediums. I know what helped me a lot was watching all the videos I could find on YouTube. Watching QuickyBaby, Bushka and others in action. Thanks to them, I'm a ton better at a using camo, view range and terrain to my advantage. I'm still working on situational and tactical awareness, but I've come a long ways from being that guy who YOLOed off to their doom. Check these guys out. 

"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper


t4four #45 Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:31 AM

    Fix the cigarette lighter

  • Players
  • 27163 battles
  • 1,663
  • [SPUDX]
  • Member since:
    06-29-2014

Not going to lie. this post is about bragging. I was sure we would get slaughtered when I saw every green rush to the middle (of Middleburg) and take up positions around base cap.  No hills and no far edge of town skirmishing.  My first instinct was to sit tight and wait. Then I assumed (correctly) their mediums would be coming around the hill soon.  I worked my way past my team mates and went for the enemy spawn. As I neared the edge of town I lit up a red.  From then on it a lesson on the benefits of focus fire. The reds stayed spread out and every one got at least a one/two punch when they popped up.  Think this is my first mastery where I did not earn any other medals.

 


Edited by t4four, 11 August 2015 - 02:35 AM.

"T4, what are you doing THERE?" - Ahredstealth

The single most game changing question I have been asked in Blitz.

 


Ookla_the_Mok #46 Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:15 AM

    Team Brisket

  • Players
  • 21760 battles
  • 4,182
  • [BRSKT]
  • Member since:
    07-03-2014

So is this the thread to roast up some food and enjoy an adult beverage?

 

On a side note, it was like 106F here today, my Clown Car melted. Seriously, noone go outside.



t4four #47 Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:26 AM

    Fix the cigarette lighter

  • Players
  • 27163 battles
  • 1,663
  • [SPUDX]
  • Member since:
    06-29-2014
Sorry if I jinx it, but I just noticed our illustrious commander is nearing the threshold of going from green to blue. In the words of Rob Schneider in just about every Adam Sandler movie.  "You can do it!"

"T4, what are you doing THERE?" - Ahredstealth

The single most game changing question I have been asked in Blitz.

 


furicle #48 Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:51 AM

    Tuber or not tuber...

  • Players
  • 36513 battles
  • 1,200
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    07-06-2014

View Postt4four, on 10 August 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

Not going to lie. this post is about bragging. I was sure we would get slaughtered when I saw every green rush to the middle (of Middleburg) and take up positions around base cap.  No hills and no far edge of town skirmishing.  My first instinct was to sit tight and wait. Then I assumed (correctly) their mediums would be coming around the hill soon.  I worked my way past my team mates and went for the enemy spawn. As I neared the edge of town I lit up a red.  From then on it a lesson on the benefits of focus fire. The reds stayed spread out and every one got at least a one/two punch when they popped up.  Think this is my first mastery where I did not earn any other medals.

 

 

T30 mastery eh? over 5K?  Very unspudlike of you... 

Stuff your mouth with 50 potato chips in celebration shame!

:-)

   _______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

Prammo comes naturally to a golden russet...


t4four #49 Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:36 AM

    Fix the cigarette lighter

  • Players
  • 27163 battles
  • 1,663
  • [SPUDX]
  • Member since:
    06-29-2014

View Postfuricle, on 10 August 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

 

T30 mastery eh? over 5K?  Very unspudlike of you... 

Stuff your mouth with 50 potato chips in celebration shame!

:-)

 

About three battles later I laid a big goose egg in my Patton, so I got back to form.  We still won, but I probably won't post that one.

"T4, what are you doing THERE?" - Ahredstealth

The single most game changing question I have been asked in Blitz.

 


Psyberius #50 Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

    Prestige Worldwide

  • Players
  • 29241 battles
  • 1,560
  • Member since:
    07-01-2014

View Postfuricle, on 10 August 2015 - 10:51 PM, said:

 

T30 mastery eh? over 5K?  Very unspudlike of you... 

Stuff your mouth with 50 potato chips in celebration shame!

:-)

Seriously! We're gonna hafta ask you to tone that down a bit. You're gonna give us a bad name! LOL

View Postt4four, on 10 August 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

Sorry if I jinx it, but I just noticed our illustrious commander is nearing the threshold of going from green to blue. In the words of Rob Schneider in just about every Adam Sandler movie.  "You can do it!"

 

I noticed this too. Didn't wanna say anything and jinx him :ohmy:


"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper


Paukenwirbel #51 Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:49 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 25590 battles
  • 473
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    12-29-2014

View Postahredstealth, on 10 August 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

 

And other times you will live up to the [SPUD] tag:

Spoiler

(I would like to point out that both Paul and I rock a 70%~ish win rate in Victories.  We rolled over a hill, I pushed too far, got lit up by the entire Red team who dominated me, and then left my platoon mate hanging in a bad spot.)

 

Both these games happened the same weekend.  (This weekend actually)

 

....

 

 

HIGH-Larious!  :-)

 

Let me start by saying what an inspiration it is to be held up as an example, nay inspiration, for all True Taters!  I'd like to thank the Nightshade Academy [self-edit]....

 

Seriously, it was an honour and a treat to get to platoon 3 games with Stealth this weekend.  I was sorry that my first performances, Oh Captain, My Captain, spuddered out prematurely.  Particularly troubling was our T-44 toon where we started off well, but then I made what at the time seemed to be a sound tactical decision to come round the rear of the red T-44 we were engaging so as to divide his attentions:  of course, in the process, I barely crested the hill and "spotted" an IS-3. BLAM.  Oops.  :(

 

In all fairness to Stealth, in the game he posted the results of, he merely peeked over the upper hill by the windmill on Castilla, trying to light up reds.  Of course, all seven were sitting below with their fingers on their triggers:  how often do you see that kind of team unity?  Rarely.  I crested the lower hill and shot the Cromwell, who tracked me. The reds' second shot was a seven-shell salvo into me, and thus went Stealth and my first SPUDtoon together!  Had to chuckle at least a little!

 

In any case, I thank you very much, Stealth, for the opportunity to spend some time in the Tater Field with you, and I'm extremely grateful to be a member of this fine looking bushel of sprouting comrades -- I look forward to striking fear into the hearts of Red Taters in the garden while proudly representing the House of Tuber in many future hoe-downs!

 

o7

 


Edited by Paukenwirbel, 11 August 2015 - 06:02 AM.


ahredstealth #52 Posted 11 August 2015 - 12:59 PM

    King Tater

  • Players
  • 18330 battles
  • 7,892
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    01-25-2015

View Postt4four, on 10 August 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

Sorry if I jinx it, but I just noticed our illustrious commander is nearing the threshold of going from green to blue. In the words of Rob Schneider in just about every Adam Sandler movie.  "You can do it!"

 

Thanks boys!  I bounced around tiers a bit playing fun mediums (T-44, Vic, Fury) and OP heavies (such as the CH III) and got it a bit closer. No worries.  It'll happen if I play well enough, it won't if I don't.

 

View PostPaukenwirbel, on 10 August 2015 - 11:49 PM, said:

 

 

HIGH-Larious!  :-)

 

Let me start by saying what an inspiration it is to be held up as an example, nay inspiration, for all True Taters!  I'd like to thank the Nightshade Academy [self-edit]....

 

Seriously, it was an honour and a treat to get to platoon 3 games with Stealth this weekend.  I was sorry that my first performances, Oh Captain, My Captain, spuddered out prematurely.  Particularly troubling was our T-44 toon where we started off well, but then I made what at the time seemed to be a sound tactical decision to come round the rear of the red T-44 we were engaging so as to divide his attentions:  of course, in the process, I barely crested the hill and "spotted" an IS-3. BLAM.  Oops.  :(

 

In all fairness to Stealth, in the game he posted the results of, he merely peeked over the upper hill by the windmill on Castilla, trying to light up reds.  Of course, all seven were sitting below with their fingers on their triggers:  how often do you see that kind of team unity?  Rarely.  I crested the lower hill and shot the Cromwell, who tracked me. The reds' second shot was a seven-shell salvo into me, and thus went Stealth and my first SPUDtoon together!  Had to chuckle at least a little!

 

In any case, I thank you very much, Stealth, for the opportunity to spend some time in the Tater Field with you, and I'm extremely grateful to be a member of this fine looking bushel of sprouting comrades -- I look forward to striking fear into the hearts of Red Taters in the garden while proudly representing the House of Tuber in many future hoe-downs!

 

o7

 

 

This man right here is a treat to platoon with in a medium.  Brawling mediums are without a doubt my favorite tank in the game to play, and Paul knows his way around one, and will bail your bacon out of the fire if you push too hard.

 

Anyone looking to improve on a medium should look to him for tips and tricks, maybe shadow him for a game or two.

 

 

 

I managed to get some runs in last night with favredollarfootlong.  It was epic.  The first game we ran into an [ATT] platoon.  I think we managed to hold our own, but while we were holding our own they shredded the rest of the team, and then dominated us.  Then we ran into a [SPUD] on the red team!  Furicle was out in his T34 - 1776!  Of course I tunnel visioned, over exposed myself, and got killed because I'm pretty awesome like that.  Then we went Castilla where I finally had a good game, and FDFL and I held off I believe five tanks for the majority of the game...  Ended with us both dying, but became an easy win for the team from there, so that's positive.  As soon as I'm not rolling out with a crew at 78% FDFL won't have to carry my sorry carcass around the battle field, and hopefully I can help more.


Wargaming server will serving you kindly


FavreDollarFootlong #53 Posted 11 August 2015 - 01:39 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4501 battles
  • 438
  • Member since:
    05-29-2015

View Postahredstealth, on 11 August 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

I managed to get some runs in last night with favredollarfootlong.  It was epic.  The first game we ran into an [ATT] platoon.  I think we managed to hold our own, but while we were holding our own they shredded the rest of the team, and then dominated us.  Then we ran into a [SPUD] on the red team!  Furicle was out in his T34 - 1776!  Of course I tunnel visioned, over exposed myself, and got killed because I'm pretty awesome like that.  Then we went Castilla where I finally had a good game, and FDFL and I held off I believe five tanks for the majority of the game...  Ended with us both dying, but became an easy win for the team from there, so that's positive.  As soon as I'm not rolling out with a crew at 78% FDFL won't have to carry my sorry carcass around the battle field, and hopefully I can help more.

Thanks for suffering thru my growing pains the the Conqueror, it was a blast!

I'm just at a loss right now; on an old alt account I had ground my way all the way to the FV215b and was actually quite decent in all the tanks in the line, I even Aced the Conqueror twice in my first 13 battles.

Hopefully something snaps into place soon...



Ookla_the_Mok #54 Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

    Team Brisket

  • Players
  • 21760 battles
  • 4,182
  • [BRSKT]
  • Member since:
    07-03-2014

August 19th is National Potato Day!

 

What will WG do to celebrate us?



ahredstealth #55 Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:24 PM

    King Tater

  • Players
  • 18330 battles
  • 7,892
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    01-25-2015

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 11 August 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

August 19th is National Potato Day!

 

What will WG do to celebrate us?

 

I'll make a call to corporate.  I don't think it's too much to ask for everyone to get gifted a special tank with a potato graphic on it.  Maybe a special IS?  With the nerf they should be just about ready to give those things away.

Wargaming server will serving you kindly


tinmanic #56 Posted 11 August 2015 - 02:46 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 19316 battles
  • 864
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    04-24-2015

View Postt4four, on 10 August 2015 - 10:31 PM, said:

Not going to lie. this post is about bragging. I was sure we would get slaughtered when I saw every green rush to the middle (of Middleburg) and take up positions around base cap.  No hills and no far edge of town skirmishing.  My first instinct was to sit tight and wait. Then I assumed (correctly) their mediums would be coming around the hill soon.  I worked my way past my team mates and went for the enemy spawn. As I neared the edge of town I lit up a red.  From then on it a lesson on the benefits of focus fire. The reds stayed spread out and every one got at least a one/two punch when they popped up.  Think this is my first mastery where I did not earn any other medals.

 

 

 

 

whoa, awesome...CONGRATS!  

I've been seeing better results from myself by waiting a bit before charging in, and I'm finding it gives me better view of where the vulnerabilities might be


A SPUD at heart

 and potato at stomach  

 

My Stats:

yhfjhrhrhfrhrdj #57 Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 21816 battles
  • 384
  • [SPUDX]
  • Member since:
    08-31-2014

View Postt4four, on 10 August 2015 - 08:31 PM, said:

Not going to lie. this post is about bragging. I was sure we would get slaughtered when I saw every green rush to the middle (of Middleburg) and take up positions around base cap.  No hills and no far edge of town skirmishing.  My first instinct was to sit tight and wait. Then I assumed (correctly) their mediums would be coming around the hill soon.  I worked my way past my team mates and went for the enemy spawn. As I neared the edge of town I lit up a red.  From then on it a lesson on the benefits of focus fire. The reds stayed spread out and every one got at least a one/two punch when they popped up.  Think this is my first mastery where I did not earn any other medals.

 

 

Nice Job t4. Kept up the good work
Have SPUD, will BUD

yhfjhrhrhfrhrdj #58 Posted 11 August 2015 - 05:15 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 21816 battles
  • 384
  • [SPUDX]
  • Member since:
    08-31-2014

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 11 August 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

August 19th is National Potato Day!

 

What will WG do to celebrate us?

 

Have a SUPD Parade with tater's, tot's, & fries. Oh... and BEER!
Have SPUD, will BUD

ahredstealth #59 Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:04 PM

    King Tater

  • Players
  • 18330 battles
  • 7,892
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    01-25-2015

HELP!

 

http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/29128-one-potato-two-potato-three-potato-four/

 

Count off SPUDS!


Wargaming server will serving you kindly


SonnetVolta #60 Posted 11 August 2015 - 08:30 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 13464 battles
  • 685
  • [SPUDX]
  • Member since:
    01-11-2015

View Postt4four, on 10 August 2015 - 10:26 PM, said:

Sorry if I jinx it, but I just noticed our illustrious commander is nearing the threshold of going from green to blue. In the words of Rob Schneider in just about every Adam Sandler movie.  "You can do it!"

 

At this point, WG is straight-up trolling him:

Spoiler

 


better sig





52 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 52 guests, 0 anonymous users