Around the Campfire - [SPUD] and [SPUDX] - Tactics, Tips, Brags, and General Spuddery.

Campers N Taters [SPUD] [SPUDX] campfire tater nation tater prom dress

• Please log in to reply
10539 replies to this topic

mike82198 #81 Posted 12 August 2015 - 01:58 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39649 battles
  • [CRATE]

View PostFavreDollarFootlong, on 11 August 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

I have the credits and XP to upgrade to the Pershing or T-44. If any of you are familiar with either or both, which one is the easier transition?

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm obviously much better in the T-43, but I know that doesn't always translate to the next tier...

There's one very important aspect of this decision that needs to considered: do you have any of the T-44/Pershing modules from their sister tanks in the Heavy/TD lines grinded out? T-44 has an absolutely horrific grind if you don't have any of the modules. It was my first tank line. Have a look at my stats and see how that panned out. Generally speaking, the T-44 is a bit of a rotten apple in a line of very very very good tanks. Fully loaded it is great - and leads to the best casual player tier 9/10 mediums in the game. 

I wouldn't fly up to the Patton - or up its line - before you become adept at using the gun depression of the American mediums. Soviet mediums are very straightforward. 

yhfjhrhrhfrhrdj #82 Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:32 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28456 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Postahredstealth, on 11 August 2015 - 03:20 PM, said:

I have no idea how to use it.

I'll try and look into it in the next few days, but again, most of the time I play with the volume off as to not disturb the family... mostly small sleeping members.

It does sound interesting though, and I want to at least log on and test it out!  Thanks again Furicle!

Hey stealth, it's easier then it looks and all you need is a good set of ear buds and your off to the SPUD races. The only thing is while using TS and the wife is watching TV you may get the stare lol. 

Have SPUD, will BUD

yhfjhrhrhfrhrdj #83 Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:42 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 28456 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 10 August 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

So is this the thread to roast up some food and enjoy an adult beverage?

On a side note, it was like 106F here today, my Clown Car melted. Seriously, noone go outside.

Wow! 106F might be able to fry some taters on the sidewalk lol . It was about 85F here today in Missouri. ( didn't mean to rub it in).:D 

Have SPUD, will BUD

IronSpectre1138 #84 Posted 12 August 2015 - 02:58 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5512 battles
  • [SPUDX]
I'll be looking in TS at some point. What is a countdown by the way? I saw it mentioned above and have seen it elsewhere.

Edited by aramikvideo19, 12 August 2015 - 02:58 AM.

"Traditionally, Spuds love to fight. All real Spuds love the sting of battle."

I am the official beer wench of the Spuds. I may not be a unicum, but I keep the suds flowing.

furicle #85 Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:50 AM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 51399 battles
  • [SPUDX]

FWIW I hated the Pershing and I love my T44 - and there's about a 20% difference in win rate between them for me!

If you like the 43, go for the 44!

Thinking back, I probably did have the IS3 elited before I ever bought the 44 though

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

Prammo comes naturally to a golden russet...

Ookla_the_Mok #86 Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:56 AM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28800 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View Posttpcshadow, on 11 August 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

DFW area? I'm intentionally vaguely north of that area and have a photo of my car reading 106 during my commute home.

Yes, I am also in the general area of this hellhole. So hot and miserable. Not a native Texan and the heat kicks my butt every summer.

View PostFavreDollarFootlong, on 11 August 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

I have the credits and XP to upgrade to the Pershing or T-44. If any of you are familiar with either or both, which one is the easier transition?

I'm obviously much better in the T-43, but I know that doesn't always translate to the next tier...

Hard to say definitively from your stats. Look at the advice Mike posted above and I would add...

Mediums are about feel for me and I take time to learn if one is right for me given my capabilities and limitations. I recently acquired the T-44 and have 25 or so games in it. I had the Free XP but did drive a few games without it fully upgraded and OUCH, not much of a tank. Then I upgraded to the LB-1 gun and one engine upgrade... two games later I upgraded the engine fully. As Mike indicated, grinding these modules would have sucked but the LB-1 is a powerful, accurate gun. The engines might be even more important to fend off the initial sluggishness of the 44 and turn it into the mobile killing platform it can be.

In my mind, you decision comes down to how much Free Xp you want to burn. If you can bypass some of the 44 grind and through at least one or two pieces of equipment on it - then pick it up. Yes, the gun depression is poor but the gun otherwise is fantastic. The handling becomes agile as you upgrade and your front plate will troll rounds. I lost 4 of my first 5 matches in it then went on a massive winning streak in which I was actively flowing all over the battlefield pumping rounds into Krauts, Russkies, Capitalists, and Tea Drinkers.

Here is the catch though, it is not a 43 just up a tier. There will be an adjustment but well worth it. Have a look at my stats in the 44 and ask yourself, compared to my other mediums, how awesome is the 44?

BRSKT Discord - Now 46% Dale Doback, 28% Gritty, and 26% folklore.
Alternatively you can check out
 [BRSKT]  

Ookla_the_Mok #87 Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:58 AM

VCR is Peak Tech

• Players
  • 28800 battles
  • [BRSKT]

View Postfuricle, on 11 August 2015 - 02:45 PM, said:

FYI - I've been hanging out on the TS server daily even when I'm not playing just to see how much use we're getting out of it, and the answer is... um.... rather potato like :-)

It will be some time until I can mess around with this but I do appreciate your effort.

BRSKT Discord - Now 46% Dale Doback, 28% Gritty, and 26% folklore.
Alternatively you can check out
 [BRSKT]  

SieurPersil #88 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:02 AM

Knight of the Round Potato

• Players
  • 25048 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Postaramikvideo19, on 12 August 2015 - 02:58 AM, said:

I'll be looking in TS at some point. What is a countdown by the way? I saw it mentioned above and have seen it elsewhere.

It is a live countdown for a group to all press the battle button at the same time to hopefully end up in the same game.

Volunteer Tater Ambassador - Potentate Relationship Manager - Inter Clan Camping Liaison Officer. Knight of the round potato. Information regarding the hamac or our adirondack chairs available. Quote of the moment : "Will focus fire on WriterDude for beer"

IronSpectre1138 #89 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:37 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5512 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostSieurPersil, on 11 August 2015 - 11:02 PM, said:

It is a live countdown for a group to all press the battle button at the same time to hopefully end up in the same game.

Okay. Thanks. 

"Traditionally, Spuds love to fight. All real Spuds love the sting of battle."

I am the official beer wench of the Spuds. I may not be a unicum, but I keep the suds flowing.

SonnetVolta #90 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:51 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15037 battles
  • [SPUDX]

SPUD is doing impromptu potato count-ins at tier 8 NOW on TS. Come on in!

better sig

Paukenwirbel #91 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:52 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42852 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Postahredstealth, on 11 August 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

This man right here is a treat to platoon with in a medium.  Brawling mediums are without a doubt my favorite tank in the game to play, and Paul knows his way around one, and will bail your bacon out of the fire if you push too hard.

Anyone looking to improve on a medium should look to him for tips and tricks, maybe shadow him for a game or two.

Thanks SO very much for your vote of confidence.  That means so much coming from you!  And I'm in awe of your generosity and dedication in foster parenting, Stealth!  My highest respect!

As to meds, the Panther and Centurian lines were (ignorant me) the very first two lines I dove into with WoTB -- and simultaneously at that.  I was awful in them, and my embarrassing WRs all the way up to the Cent I and PII bear witness to the fact that if there was a way to screw up in those tanks, I learned it.  I just completed eliting the E 50 the other day (crew still about 90%), so I'm hoping my WR in it will start to level off in the respectable zone.

I've done the Russian med (almost to T-54, but I'm in no hurry) and American med lines (in middle of Pershing) more recently, and I've had much more success from learning all those really hard lessons on the Brit and German med lines.  From reading the forums and watching tutorials on YouTube, I learned so much by the end of those grinds, that I, hopefully, left the land of the med hacks.

In fact, the American med line is currently the line I have the highest WR on in the game, and the T-44 is in my top five of >100 battle tanks (61.5%).  I think one of the med gems/medium-tank-philosophy-graduate-exams in this game is the T20, and I regret selling it off after reaching the Pershing -- I've since bought some garage slots and will buy it back ASAP.  After I'd aced the T20 5-6 times, I realized I must have actually learned something.  I'm still trying to make implementing that knowledge part of each and every game, though!  Still learning!

Would love to platoon with you folks. Forgive me if I am not able to in the next few days -- part of the Fall season of music programming is kicking in already, so I'm only able to grab a few games here and there, as I'm going to be on the road a lot more.

Looking forward to getting to know and play with all of you shortly!  Cheers!

SonnetVolta #92 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:59 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15037 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Postaramikvideo19, on 11 August 2015 - 09:58 PM, said:

So a count-in or a count-down is this: Everybody who can piles into the TeamSpeak server so it's like one messy group phone call. Then people form two-tank platoons just as normal, at an agreed-upon tier. Just now, yhfjhrhrhfrhrdj and usbrpearl were doing Tier VIIIs with me. I was also platooned with NoStuck2150 who was NOT on TeamSpeak (he was attached to me via platoon, so that was fine.)

We all say "3-2-1-GO!" and at "GO!" we press the [Battle] button. If it works, the matchmaker sees four tier VIIIs who just joined at the same time and puts us all in the same match…hopefully on the same side, but not always. It is not a guarantee of anything, but when it works you get 4 SPUDs in one game!

better sig

FavreDollarFootlong #93 Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 11 August 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

Yes, I am also in the general area of this hellhole. So hot and miserable. Not a native Texan and the heat kicks my butt every summer.

Hard to say definitively from your stats. Look at the advice Mike posted above and I would add...

Mediums are about feel for me and I take time to learn if one is right for me given my capabilities and limitations. I recently acquired the T-44 and have 25 or so games in it. I had the Free XP but did drive a few games without it fully upgraded and OUCH, not much of a tank. Then I upgraded to the LB-1 gun and one engine upgrade... two games later I upgraded the engine fully. As Mike indicated, grinding these modules would have sucked but the LB-1 is a powerful, accurate gun. The engines might be even more important to fend off the initial sluggishness of the 44 and turn it into the mobile killing platform it can be.

In my mind, you decision comes down to how much Free Xp you want to burn. If you can bypass some of the 44 grind and through at least one or two pieces of equipment on it - then pick it up. Yes, the gun depression is poor but the gun otherwise is fantastic. The handling becomes agile as you upgrade and your front plate will troll rounds. I lost 4 of my first 5 matches in it then went on a massive winning streak in which I was actively flowing all over the battlefield pumping rounds into Krauts, Russkies, Capitalists, and Tea Drinkers.

Here is the catch though, it is not a 43 just up a tier. There will be an adjustment but well worth it. Have a look at my stats in the 44 and ask yourself, compared to my other mediums, how awesome is the 44?

I always try to wait until I have enough XP/freeXP before I purchase a new tank, which is the case here. Which ever one I choose will be fully upgraded when I purchase it. Once I get home from work I will be rolling with the T-44!

And, your stats? Rock Star!

FavreDollarFootlong #94 Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

View PostSonnetVolta, on 11 August 2015 - 10:59 PM, said:

So a count-in or a count-down is this: Everybody who can piles into the TeamSpeak server so it's like one messy group phone call. Then people form two-tank platoons just as normal, at an agreed-upon tier. Just now, yhfjhrhrhfrhrdj and usbrpearl were doing Tier VIIIs with me. I was also platooned with NoStuck2150 who was NOT on TeamSpeak (he was attached to me via platoon, so that was fine.)

We all say "3-2-1-GO!" and at "GO!" we press the [Battle] button. If it works, the matchmaker sees four tier VIIIs who just joined at the same time and puts us all in the same match…hopefully on the same side, but not always. It is not a guarantee of anything, but when it works you get 4 SPUDs in one game!

So, was the count-in a success?

tpcshadow #95 Posted 12 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39488 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 11 August 2015 - 09:56 PM, said:

I hate the cold with a white hot burning passion. I will take 106 over 6 anytime; I was out mowing my lawn and digging up a broken water pipe Saturday and Sunday. Plenty of sunscreen and fluids and it's no big deal to me. But I've grown up around here.

dementian #96 Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:10 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 47643 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Asiaticus

I have TS on my Mac and also on my tablet and phone. The preferred setup is playing on my tablet and running TS on the computer, with ear buds. That makes it easy to manage TS and see all of the different rooms that have been set up on the Triarii TS server without having to scroll up and down. If that is not practical because there are people doing stuff in the room the computer is in, I run TS on my phone and play on my tablet. That works well. Running TS on my tablet at the same time I play is awkward, but I have managed it when necessary. I use the ear buds that came with my iPhone, which work just fine. 

ENO75

As stated you can run it on the same device but I would be hesitant to recommend it on anything older than an Air. I also recommend earbuds since there have been some volume issues with one of the last patches... as a result everyone had their volumes cranked and the mic would pick up the voices as well resulting in endless echoes and feedback. Throw game sounds into that equation and it was a mess. We recommend everyone on TS3 use earbuds of some description for that reason. We get 30+ people in a room for gladiator and if the feedback loops start they take minutes to die down. 

I've used TS3 on PC for a long time and agree the interface on iOS is clunky and not as intuitive to use as PC but it just takes some getting used to.

I still haven't tried TS, but I received the above advice from guys in Triarii.  I'm going to try setting it up on my MAC and use earbuds as suggested.  Although I'm going to look silly apparently talking to myself while playing!

As far as the T44/Pershing question, I have both.  I ultimately like the 44 better, but as stated the early grind was very painful.  The Pershing definitely took some getting used to and I do enjoy it, however I think the best advice I received with this tank (actually I've begun doing this with many tanks now) is to load about half/half AP/APCR.  Funny thing about the Pershing is my STAR1/WN8 lists me as being Unicum in it...and I only have 50% win rate in it.  So it must must be a generally more difficult tank.

On loading APCR, it seems there are many that don't realize you can change to using credits to pay for it rather than gold/actual money.  It's still spendy in credits, but at least you don't spend real money.  Probably preaching to the choir here, but thought I would mention it.

Paukenwirbel #97 Posted 12 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 42852 battles
  • [SPUDX]

I agree with essentially all that's been said on the T-44/Pershing debate.  T-44 grind was painful until getting the LB-1 gun and top engine.  

Dementian is totally right on how it appears that players seem to have a higher rating for lower average WR  in Pershing for some reason.  For me, I think that's because MM seems to put me in more games as low-tier in the Pershing than in the T-44.  YMMV.

My Pershing WR took some serous hits the other night in Tier IX games with heavies and TDs flanking on Winter Malinovka and similar follies.  Still, at 57.6%WR in the M26 Pershing, 92 games in, the different metrics have me classified as "good" to "great."  Not sure I'm either, but my classifications in the T-44 (over twice the number of games) are the same with a 61.5%WR.  

Dementian is onto something here.  I really like both tanks. Very different playstyle.

dementian #98 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:05 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 47643 battles
  • [SPUDX]

That's really interesting Paukenwirbel.  Below are my numbers for the Pershing and yours.  You have a much higher WR and other numbers are comparable (other than total battles).  I'll be curious if your rating jumps once you surpass 100 battles.  I definitely don't understand how these ratings are calculated.

Mine

M26 Pershing 8 183
0.74 646 1424 1.68
5K(1)

Paukenwirbel

M26 Pershing 8 92
0.55 758 1283 1.03

FavreDollarFootlong #99 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:07 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

View PostPaukenwirbel, on 12 August 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

Dementian is totally right on how it appears that players seem to have a higher rating for lower average WR  in Pershing for some reason.  For me, I think that's because MM seems to put me in more games as low-tier in the Pershing than in the T-44.  YMMV.

The same is true for my T20 and T-43 regrding STAR1 and WN7, where's the Russian bias?

T43: WR - 71.19 STAR1 - 1.1301 WN7 - 1603 WN8 - 1907

T20  WR - 58.97 STAR1 - 1.2436 WN7 - 1491 WN8 - 2377

Given my WR in both tanks, that that seems to be quite the discrepancy, especially WN8!

Pheldagriff #100 Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9131 battles

Theme Song -

"Sucking is the First Step to Being Sorta Good at Something"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users