Around the Campfire - [SPUD] and [SPUDX] - Tactics, Tips, Brags, and General Spuddery.

Campers N Taters [SPUD] [SPUDX] campfire tater nation tater prom dress

• Please log in to reply
10492 replies to this topic

WareJC #8681 Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:29 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13500 battles

View Postspass5, on 23 February 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

OK, I came back to the campfire to burn off the grime from the general board.  There are a lot of angry people; I missed the whole IS-6 Fearless episode because I can only play once daily, and it was all done.  I do feel badly for those affected, and agree it sounds a bit unethical.

I need to graduate to step 2 of the SPUD program, so here goes.  Been playing blitz since I discovered it last May.  Enjoy the game, but not that great at it.  I was just under 46% WR about 2000 battles in, and decided I needed to stop sucking.  Started watching a lot of videos, stopped the YOLO maneuver, and have gotten myself just above 51%.  That is with a lot of seal clubbing though...I got the tier III Pz S35 in the winter fair, and it's a lot like a car wreck, disturbing, but I just can't stop playing it.  I only play in the evenings (three kids, so lots to do), but would like to start platooning if anyone is willing to teach me (my current clan is active, but not with platooning or training).  I'm up to Tier 7, but holding there as I'm getting crushed in Tier 8 games.   Favorite tank by far is the T-34-85, I seem to do best with mediums and heavies.

One question for the group: is it possible that you just play really badly with some tanks?  The general board seems to focus on poor driving skills as opposed to bad tanks.  But, man, there are some tanks I just can't win with.

I know the game and excell at failure to execute..doah.. besides that minor point I have alwsys prefered TD and heavy tanks with the exception of the M4 line. Play what you enjoy to get the finer points of the game then go from there. Bushka on Blizt the "How not to Explode" series is a good starting point. Find a clan that toons and does training rooms, will help your survial rate and WR. This is a very good group here and well respected. Now I am not a Spud but have been known to push a broom for a fresh tater tot or two and my op may reflect that.

"Your lack of effort or your death is not my concern. However lack of effort will lead to your death by their hand or mine."

BushiBan #8682 Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:48 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3529 battles
  • [SPUDX]
we even share our smores with JC .... and in warmer weather a Snoopy Snow cone!

SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

WareJC #8683 Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:53 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 13500 battles

View PostBushiBan, on 23 February 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

we even share our smores with JC .... and in warmer weather a Snoopy Snow cone!

Wait a minute here. Share with me? Now I know why they gave you TWO smores last night...lol

"Your lack of effort or your death is not my concern. However lack of effort will lead to your death by their hand or mine."

BushiBan #8684 Posted 24 February 2017 - 01:54 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3529 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostWareJC, on 23 February 2017 - 08:53 PM, said:

Now I know why they gave you TWO smores last night...lol

sssshhhhh, I snuck the second one

OxToxin #8685 Posted 24 February 2017 - 03:24 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15449 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostBushiBan, on 23 February 2017 - 09:54 PM, said:

I'm watching you now @_@.

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me: your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23

fubaroj9 #8686 Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 12845 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostBushiBan, on 23 February 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

I am not a huge smores fan for some silly reason so you can have mine!!!! I would rather stick a tater on a stick and have that!!!! Cooked or not!!!

BushiBan #8687 Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:14 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3529 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Postolearyjohn9, on 24 February 2017 - 11:10 AM, said:

I am not a huge smores fan for some silly reason so you can have mine!!!! I would rather stick a tater on a stick and have that!!!! Cooked or not!!!

sweet! smore for me :great:

BushiBan #8688 Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3529 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostOxToxin, on 24 February 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

I'm watching you now @_@.

oh look over there >>>>>> it's a baby wolf

Vater_Von_Tom #8689 Posted 24 February 2017 - 09:29 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 26492 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View Postahredstealth, on 21 February 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

The number one thing I see people doing wrong with a heavy tank is pushing.

Just because you have a heavy tank doesn't mean you are invincible.

You are typically not mobile enough to do a push, and you will get eaten alive.

Instead, be the anvil.

Get to a good spot on the map, and hold it.  If that's hull down, or sidescraping, or peek-a-booming, whatever...  but that is your spot, and you do not let people take your spot.  Show them your RAWR face.

Then whittle them down.

Make good shots on weak armor, or Prammo through whatever you need to.

Eventually, you will wear them down, or annoy them and they will charge out of their spots, and that's when you track them and burn them down.  Or hold them until your team cleans up, and can come at them with flank shots...

Or, your team gets inexplicably wiped out even though you were holding off 3 or 4 tanks... and so somehow they managed to lose when it was 5 or 6 on 3...  Which will happen because reasons.  Then you just take your farmed damage and move onto the next game.

This ^^^^^^ again and again and again.

Hizzoner #8690 Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:39 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17468 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostBlartch, on 21 February 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

Heavy positioning is a delicate matter.  Of course it's highly team-and-map dependent.

Rule#1: wherever you go, don't go alone.  "too slow" is not a valid excuse when your team all starts heading one way... "wrong way" is also not a valid excuse.  Even if you have to turn 180 degrees and try to catch up, stay with support.  Even if you're "correct" in which direction you chose, you'll be a very correct and lonely dead person shortly.

Rule#2: move from cover to cover.  Pretty obvious, but worth repeating.  Once the firing starts, no heavy in the game can weather it from all angles forever.  You have to have solid cover - rock, building, hills, etc - to get behind and start plotting moves.

Rule#3: avoid crossfires.  If you have any armor, it's all on the front.  Pushing too far too fast and exposing your side to unseen fire is a fast n' easy way to become deceased.

Rule#4: learn to bait shots. With their atrocious aim times, heavy guns generally want a nice long while to get a good shot off.  Via sidescraping, quick in-out movements, turret wiggling, or other tomfoolery,  you can make the big gun waiting to plug you waste a round and give yourself a nice relaxing sit while waiting for the reticle to shrink.

Rule#5: when it's time to move, move.  Forward, mostly.  If the sides are clear and the enemy is sitting or pulling back, push up to the next bit of cover.  Continue this until you or the enemy are dead.

Great advice and particularly  relevant if the game meta develops as I think it might in upper tiers

Hizzoner #8691 Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:43 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17468 battles
  • [III-C]

View PostWareJC, on 23 February 2017 - 07:29 PM, said:

I know the game and excell at failure to execute..doah.. besides that minor point I have alwsys prefered TD and heavy tanks with the exception of the M4 line. Play what you enjoy to get the finer points of the game then go from there. Bushka on Blizt the "How not to Explode" series is a good starting point. Find a clan that toons and does training rooms, will help your survial rate and WR. This is a very good group here and well respected. Now I am not a Spud but have been known to push a broom for a fresh tater tot or two and my op may reflect that.

more solid advice from a solid dude

Hizzoner #8692 Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:47 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17468 battles
  • [III-C]

Btw...I think if you can buy this rare tank called a fearful or something you will have like an automatic 70%. Wr and women will throw themselves at you.

jk..no offense meant..just so SERIOUS on the forums of late

have a great weekend folks and 07 SPUDS

mark

furicle #8693 Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:54 PM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 49765 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostHizzoner, on 24 February 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

Btw...I think if you can buy this rare tank called a fearful or something you will have like an automatic 70%. Wr and women will throw themselves at you.

But women already throw things at me.

Oh, wait...

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

Prammo comes naturally to a golden russet...

Bankrockstar #8694 Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 20721 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostBlartch, on 21 February 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

Heavy positioning is a delicate matter.  Of course it's highly team-and-map dependent.

Rule#1: wherever you go, don't go alone.  "too slow" is not a valid excuse when your team all starts heading one way... "wrong way" is also not a valid excuse.  Even if you have to turn 180 degrees and try to catch up, stay with support.  Even if you're "correct" in which direction you chose, you'll be a very correct and lonely dead person shortly.

Rule#2: move from cover to cover.  Pretty obvious, but worth repeating.  Once the firing starts, no heavy in the game can weather it from all angles forever.  You have to have solid cover - rock, building, hills, etc - to get behind and start plotting moves.

Rule#3: avoid crossfires.  If you have any armor, it's all on the front.  Pushing too far too fast and exposing your side to unseen fire is a fast n' easy way to become deceased.

Rule#4: learn to bait shots. With their atrocious aim times, heavy guns generally want a nice long while to get a good shot off.  Via sidescraping, quick in-out movements, turret wiggling, or other tomfoolery,  you can make the big gun waiting to plug you waste a round and give yourself a nice relaxing sit while waiting for the reticle to shrink.

Rule#5: when it's time to move, move.  Forward, mostly.  If the sides are clear and the enemy is sitting or pulling back, push up to the next bit of cover.  Continue this until you or the enemy are dead.

View Postahredstealth, on 21 February 2017 - 09:12 PM, said:

The number one thing I see people doing wrong with a heavy tank is pushing.

Just because you have a heavy tank doesn't mean you are invincible.

You are typically not mobile enough to do a push, and you will get eaten alive.

Instead, be the anvil.

Get to a good spot on the map, and hold it.  If that's hull down, or sidescraping, or peek-a-booming, whatever...  but that is your spot, and you do not let people take your spot.  Show them your RAWR face.

Then whittle them down.

Make good shots on weak armor, or Prammo through whatever you need to.

Eventually, you will wear them down, or annoy them and they will charge out of their spots, and that's when you track them and burn them down.  Or hold them until your team cleans up, and can come at them with flank shots...

Or, your team gets inexplicably wiped out even though you were holding off 3 or 4 tanks... and so somehow they managed to lose when it was 5 or 6 on 3...  Which will happen because reasons.  Then you just take your farmed damage and move onto the next game.

I suggest that these 2 responses to my question "Heavy Advice" be posted to the SPUD reference page.  They have been so helpful for me.  Although I need a lot of practice and experience, I now feel much more confident rolling out in a Heavy.  I had searched high and low for tips like these, and I couldn't find them anywhere.  Thanks again Blartch and Stealth!

Bankrockstar #8695 Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 20721 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Boosters and Enrichment

Is it just me?  I really don't see much value to these latest features of Blitz.  I am accumulating a bunch of boosters while playing, but don't really see much value there.  I haven't even figured out how to use them.  I can't imagine actually buying them.  

I can see the value of Enrichment, but the pricing seems way too high, unless you plan to focus on 1 or 2 tanks.  

Just wondering what others are thinking.....

BushiBan #8696 Posted 25 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3529 battles
  • [SPUDX]

Welcome back Bankrockstar!

I have you added in-game, but haven't been on at the same time as you. Hit me up for a platoon if you see me on. Always more fun to dish out justice to the Red Team when running in a pack.

I'm a heavy junkie myself and am currently running the KV-1, a gift from Stalin himself. I'm new to the game and a heavy is certainly good at breaking one of yoloing ways, and learning how to angle and sidescrape. I'm going to be switching up to the T-1 soon as it provides more mobility.

I haven't used the boosters as of yet, so I cannot speak on them.

Enrichment seems to be way way way overpriced for what you get. You could actually purchase numerous Premium tanks for the same amount that Enrichment costs.

The only way I would ever consider Enrichment at the current cost was if there was a tank that I played almost exclusively, then I might consider it. Otherwise I'll run one of my Premiums for grinding credits and use my money to purchase other tanks.

I have a feeling the cost of Enrichment will be coming down, but again this is WG we are talking about so all bets are off.

See you in-game.

flappyfrog #8697 Posted 25 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27960 battles
  • [III-C]
Great tips re: heavies.  I find that once a losing streak gets going, I push more in heavies to "try harder" which does not work obviously. I basically have to just put the tanks away.  Anyway thanks for the great reminders. O7 spuds.

[/url]

mike82198 #8698 Posted 25 February 2017 - 10:49 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39334 battles
  • [CRATE]

View PostBlartch, on 21 February 2017 - 12:44 PM, said:

View PostHizzoner, on 24 February 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

Great advice and particularly  relevant if the game meta develops as I think it might in upper tiers

With knowledge of the meta in upper tiers allow me to offer an alternative to the above quoted advice - if your team isn't dying and you're not getting flanked, sit still and just wait for that big gun to shoot someone else. I don't ever put myself in front of ready to fire TDs. I used to do that in 2015 but not now when there's 4 of them on the enemy team every battle. 

A bit of random advice: if you know you're definitely going to get shot, remain calm and if possible choose when and where and make sure you get to shoot back ASAP. Examples:

1) an E100 is fully reloaded and is barreling at your IS4. Do you retreat automatically? Not necessarily. Where are your teammates and enemies? Where would you want to stop your tank and his tank in order to be safe from further threats while allowing your friends to support you? Freezing him in front of a corridor occupied by your allies may be the difference between survival and death. It's better to be rammed for 150 and facehug than to be nuked in the posterior by a TD.

2) an IS7 is about to turn the corner and shoot your E5 while you're reloading. Push up to the corner and bump him as he comes. His gun depression and penetration are awful and by moving back you're only giving him a better chance to hit your weak lower glacis. He will reverse back after shooting and you will waste precious time chasing him while reloaded. You have the DPM advantage in this engagement - don't let the higher alpha gun disengage and trade at his rate of fire. 

Edited by mike82198, 25 February 2017 - 11:03 PM.

mike82198 #8699 Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 39334 battles
  • [CRATE]

View Postflappyfrog, on 25 February 2017 - 01:48 PM, said:

Great tips re: heavies.  I find that once a losing streak gets going, I push more in heavies to "try harder" which does not work obviously. I basically have to just put the tanks away.  Anyway thanks for the great reminders. O7 spuds.

That's many people and in pretty much all tank types and is the opposite of what you should be doing. If you can't adhere to a variation on "three losses and I put the iPad down/go sealclub" that many like then camp. That ugly word. Sit back, relax, get s'mores. Whatever tank you're in. Let the battle evolve without your urgent input for a minute. Unless you're doubling your hp in damage you have culpability in the loss and it's usually through dying too early. 

t4four #8700 Posted 25 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

Fix the cigarette lighter

• Players
  • 37974 battles
  • [SPUDX]
Your input/expertise is very much appreciated mike. In regards to your E100 example, in pub matches I would be curious as to how much faith you have in team mates offering the support you need? Although I suppose that is just as situational as the rest.
I like turtles

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users