woteam BLITZ1

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

KimJongSpoon #1 Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10561 battles
  • [WT]

BLITZ1 attempts to provide a comprehensive strategic guide to the MMO World of Tanks Blitz. The strategic nature of this document means that most of the lower-level operational and tactical elements key to any successful operation, in real life or digital, must be left out. These elements can be found in other written and video guides. This document will be broken down into four parts:

Part 1: The Essence of Strategy

Part 2: Applying Prometheus

Part 3: Overall Blitz Strategic Doctrine

Part 4: Operational Blitz Sub-Doctrines

Part 1: The Essence of Strategy

All operations are broken up into three different levels: Tactical, Operational, and Strategic. Tactical operations are the boots-on-the-ground hands-on operations that actually carry out the objectives outlined by the Strategic Doctrine and Operational and Tactical leaders. In the context of Blitz, these operations include defending the cap, circling a heavy or TD, and flanking maneuvers, among other things. While competency in these aspects of gameplay is essential, they are far removed from the strategic nature of this document, and therefore are not discussed in any great detail. When discussing strategy it is important not to be dragged down by figuring out the tactical aspects of a battle or operation, that is left to when you actually face the situation that you are planning for. Operational level decisions are those that affect small groups of people, such as a squadron of aircraft or a company of soldiers. In the blitz context, these operations are the deployment of the teams, and analysis of the team lists. Again, these kinds of decisions and operations can drag a strategic thinker out of the strategic realm, wasting time and resources. Finally, we get to strategic thinking, the focus of this document. Strategic operations are more broad that the Tactical and Operational decisions made in battles, and are not limited to just one battle. Strategic operations are those that you apply over multiple battles and they help you focus your resources on a single objective. Strategic operations in the blitz perspective include founding your own strategic doctrine (discussed in later detail in section 3), setting goals for your progression down the various tank lines, and aligning your resources to accomplish that goal as soon as possible. BLITZ1 includes several real-world strategies to help the readers understand how strategic thinking operates outside of this MMO, and how it can be directly applied with minimal variation. One of these, Prometheus, will be discussed in greater detail next in section 2.

Section 2: Applying Prometheus

The Prometheus Process is a strategic planning tool developed by USAF Col. (Ret.) John Warden, one of the key planners in the US’s Operation DESERT STORM. This process is broken up into multiple elements:

1. The 5 concentric rings
  2. Centers of Gravity
  3. Parallel Attack

The 5 concentric rings model shows the importance of certain elements to an organization. This model is useful for determining your strategic doctrine going forward, and while a couple of these do not apply to blitz, this model can be edited to focus on blitz-specific items. The outermost ring in the classic 5 rings model is the Fielded Forces, such as the employees at the cash register of a corporation, or the troops on the ground of a military. Attempting to change the organization by changing these fielded forces not only is the least effective way to do so, it costs the most time and resources. The innermost ring of the classic model is the Leadership, and affecting the leadership has the most change on the organization with the least amount of energy. Before we move on with how to apply Prometheus to Blitz, let’s take a look at the new model that I developed that is specifically Blitz-oriented.

Prometheus Process 5 rings model (Col. Warden)
BLITZ1 5-rings model (KimJongSpoon)

The innermost ring of this model is the Strategic Doctrine. This is the comprised of the long-term goals that you have, and how you plan on applying all of the other rings towards them. Affecting your doctrine will have the greatest effect on how much you improve and how quickly you achieve your goals. The second ring of this model is the Operational Doctrines, which will be discussed in further detail in section 4. Operational doctrines include how you read team lists, and how you deploy in each battle. These doctrines are applied one-at-a-time to the battle at hand. The third ring is the Core Competencies, which are the tactical skills that you have as a player. This include if you know how to sidescrape, if you know your vehicle’s strengths and weaknesses, and if you are knowledgeable in game mechanics. As we can see, affecting strategy has the most impact on your goals, while affecting tactical decision-making has a lesser impact. The forth ring is Outside Resources, such as platoon-mates, who help you in-game to improve your Core Competencies. Affecting these, while do impact your progress towards your goals, is not as efficient as changing the inner-most rings. The last ring is the Vehicles, which is fairly self-explanatory. Changing from a bad tank to a good tank, or changing your equipment setup might help you towards your WR goals, but won’t necessarily do so the most efficiently, as you aren’t improving any of the inner rings. 

The second step in the Prometheus process is identifying Centers of Gravity. Centers of Gravity are the elements of the 5-ring model that you can change to help you reach your goals quickest. Because the inner-most rings affect your goals the most, most CGs are towards the middle. For example, one of the CGs that I identified for myself is in the Core Competencies: Map Knowledge. If I become more familiar with the maps, I will reach my goals sooner, which are a 65% WR, 2.0 DR, and Super Unicum STAR1, WN7, and WN8. Something that isn’t a CG for me is Vehicles, because I know only playing in the OP Cruiser IV won’t help me towards my last goal.

The third element of Prometheus is Parallel Attack. Parallel Attack just means that after you identify your CGs, you attack them all at the same time, focusing on the inner-most CGs to meet your goals as soon as possible.

Part 3: Overall Blitz Strategic Doctrine

This is where you determine your Strategic Doctrine. This doctrine should be able to be written in a short paragraph (preferably one sentence), identify your goals, and how you plan on meeting them. It should stay out of tactical and operational-level decisions. Here is my Overall Blitz Strategic Doctrine as an example:

To achieve my goals of a 65% Win Rate, 2.0 Damage Ratio, and Super Unicum STAR1, WN7, and WN8, I will focus on developing my Operational Doctrines, Improve map awareness, making fights as unfair as possible in my favor, and develop my Core Competencies to ensure that my Skills Toolkit is constantly prepared for scenarios that arise in-game.

This is the core of the 5 rings model, and should be given a lot of focus. As a very wise man once told me, “If I don’t think I will meet my goals, I set new ones.” While this was a joke, it shows how important your goals are. If you do not have solid goals, and a plan to meet them, you will stay stationary skill-wise. Again, none of these are focused on what you will do in X situation in a battle, that is part of your Operational Doctrines, which we will discuss next

Part 4: Operational Blitz Sub-Doctrines

Operational doctrines discuss how, in general, you handle in-the-heat-of-battle decisions on a general level. Again, these should not slip into the tactical level. You can have as many of these as you would like, as they are more focused on the individual maps and tanks. Here are some of mine for reference:

1. Always go Hill on Mines
  2. Always go Caves on Black Goldville
  3. Prioritize targets who are on low health, are shooting at friendlies, or are shooting at you.
  4. Medium tanks like shooting at side armor, not frontal armor
  5. If your shells are bouncing, you are doing something wrong. Switch targets, switch ammo types, or move.
  6. If you cannot hold a position, leave.
  7. Angle
  8. Wiggle
  9. If you are spotted and sitting still, you are doing something wrong. See #s 7 and 8.
  10. Ask yourself “Where can I get in one more shot?” towards the end of each game.

I hope that this lengthy post was of some help, and I hope that people think more strategically in the future. Figuring out your Strategic and Operational doctrines are key to improving your playstyle and progressing as quickly as possible. This progression is not necessarily towards a new tank, but towards the goals outlined in your Strategic Doctrine.

If you guys would like to share your Strategic or Operational Doctrines below, it would really help everyone see how other people of different skill levels and backgrounds view the game, and how they apply their Core Competencies towards winning every game they play.

Thanks,

KJS

Tier 10s: E100, FV4202, FV215b, Death Star, Mighty Maus, E50M, T110E4, 

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

Favorite tanks: Both FVs, Panther II, VK 30.01 D, Pz. III/IV, T49, T-34-85 Victory, Comet

DrWylde #2 Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26472 battles
Extremely well-done.   You have a good mind.   This should be pinned... IMHO.

IS-7, IS-4, IS-8, ST-I, IS-3, IS-6, KV-4

Obj. 268, Obj. 704, ISU-152

E 100, E 75, Tiger II

T-62A, T-54, T-44

T30, M103

af24snipes #3 Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:34 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10893 battles

Do you drive mediums? Most of your Operational Sub-Doctrines support traditional medium tank play. As a medium driver myself, I don't have a problem with this, I'm just curious about an even deeper analysis of doctrines for HTs, LTs, and TDs.

Edit: Excuse my lack of attention to detail. I just saw that they were your doctrines for your playstyle. 

Edited by af24snipes, 12 August 2015 - 10:36 PM.

BootlegTampico #4 Posted 12 August 2015 - 10:43 PM

"LGoW" --Random Pub

• Players
  • 22672 battles
  • [-OHM-]
High level strategy. Better than most officers in my ol' unit :teethhappy:

Clan War Discord Server youtube Join the Legion

I would love for Wargaming to succeed, and I will push for success until I'm gone or Blitz is. 

KimJongSpoon #5 Posted 12 August 2015 - 11:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10561 battles
  • [WT]

View PostOmega52, on 12 August 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Extremely well-done.   You have a good mind.   This should be pinned... IMHO.

thanks!

View Postaf24snipes, on 12 August 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

Do you drive mediums? Most of your Operational Sub-Doctrines support traditional medium tank play. As a medium driver myself, I don't have a problem with this, I'm just curious about an even deeper analysis of doctrines for HTs, LTs, and TDs.

Edit: Excuse my lack of attention to detail. I just saw that they were your doctrines for your playstyle. 

No probs, I probably should have thrown some for heavies in there.

View PostShawk_91, on 12 August 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

High level strategy. Better than most officers in my ol' unit :teethhappy:

Thanks man, I got to hear a lecture from Col. Warden at a familiarization course of Squadron Officer College at Maxwell AFB, it was pretty cool.

Tier 10s: E100, FV4202, FV215b, Death Star, Mighty Maus, E50M, T110E4, 

Check out our YouTube Channel: WoTeam

Favorite tanks: Both FVs, Panther II, VK 30.01 D, Pz. III/IV, T49, T-34-85 Victory, Comet

CommandoTank7 #6 Posted 13 August 2015 - 12:37 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 23985 battles
  • [_STR8]
Amazing,  thank you for taking the time, +1!

luke4527 #7 Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:40 PM

Private

• Players
  • 18456 battles
  • [PZWOT]

View PostKimJongSpoon, on 12 August 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

thanks!

No probs, I probably should have thrown some for heavies in there.

Thanks man, I got to hear a lecture from Col. Warden at a familiarization course of Squadron Officer College at Maxwell AFB, it was pretty cool.

luke4527 #8 Posted 23 December 2015 - 05:41 PM

Private

• Players
  • 18456 battles
  • [PZWOT]
Wow bro. Thanks a lot. It's very detailed and I love your YouTube vids. I have subscribed, and am in the clan Pzwot

pistol94 #9 Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 38013 battles
excellent...

MrGoladkin #10 Posted 12 March 2016 - 04:16 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 5665 battles
So when I am starting each game with a sentence : "lets just kill this ...." and then die rushing my ISU to spot on hill and standing there still am I doing it wrong?? Yes? 

Superking75 #11 Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:01 AM

Private

• Players
  • 2098 battles
  • [CLAP]

Wow, I never thought of things that way, and it makes a lot of sense.

Did you ever or plan to make the continuation to this?

Also tagged with woteam, BLITZ1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users