The Matilda IV Guide- Doughboy’s Tank by Tank pt2

guide Matilda IV

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

d0ugh_b0y #1 Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7226 battles

Hey Guys! Many of you may not know me. I am the Killsbury Doughboy with some swagger attached. Many times when I look up a tank guide there is either a very short written description or a video made by someone just going for simplicity. I like details and I like a good read. So from this point hence I would like to begin a “Tanks by Tank”  detailed guide. 

Second up is the Matilda IV; a premium, the most average tank in WOTBlitz History

History

Due to a complaint that the provided Wargaming History wasn’t sufficient I did my own;

Under the Lend-Lease program,The Red Army ordered 1,084 Matildas. Unfortunately only 918 of the 1,084 Matildas were able to make it. The Soviet immediately used these infamous tanks at the Battle of Moscow and became fairly common during 1942. Eventually due to the rise of the Kv-1 the tank was found not too nimble, and was upgraded to the AEC3 engine. Additional refinement went to the suspension  due to the constant complaints of clogged skirt panels. Although by then the Kv-1 had defiantly surpassed the Matilda with firepower. Even with its brand new 76mm ZiS-96 it became obsolete, although still used until 1945.

Modules

The Matilda IV is by far the most average tank I have ever played, it has no great weaknesses or great strengths. Yet lets discuss the gun, the engine/tracks, and the armour. By the time the Matilda reached the outreaching arms of the Red Army I had already started becoming outgunned by the new german frontline tanks. To combat this, The Russians as they always do, the attempted to derp gun the Matilda. Yet due to the small turret the was no way to mount as large of a gun as on the KV-1. So the gun is....average at a 140 average roll it is nothing worth bringing to light and is actually one of it weaknesses. It has an AP penetration of 86mm and therefore is a poor competitor to the KV-1’s sloped armor. To combat this you must use APCR which raises the pen to 102mm. Additionally in comparison to the BP and even the Matilda its DPM is horrible at around 1776.5 HP/min.

​   The armor also is average, with absolutely no change from the original and with 75mm of armor is, just like the Matilda, can compete yet not be exceptional. It has the same type of bounce as the KV-1 so remember to angle. but remember anyone who simply decides to aim will realize that at teir 5 the Matilda’s armor is either butter or randomly well sloped so don’t rely on your armor, it won’t save you. This is not the derp tank of teir 4.

​   Finally, the improved maneuverability at a top speed of 25km/h your tank is once again average in the eyes of RNG, for a heavy tank. Yes, it moves faster than the Churchill, traverses better than the KV-1, and has better armor than the VK H but once again this tank is painfully average.

Gameplay

So, it seems that the theme here is average. Why is the world would I buy it? Well for one it is a Matilda after all and Matildas are awesome. But the true reason is that since it isn’t a bad tank in any sense and isn’t a good tank, it is a great support tank for your meat shields. To truly appreciate the Matilda IV you must play it almost like the Lowe in a sense, yes you are a medium but you play as a heavy, easily able to crush the lower ranked teir 5s who believe they can end your rear line terror reign. If you play the tank as a support tank by helping take care of the enemy front line, the lower ranked mids will most likely come after you in which case all you have to do is angle. It is after all an average tank, which can easily handle an attempted flank, a low pen mid, or an annoying td. By simply SURVIVING your team will come and help. The key here is to know your role.

Here is a great blog post by the WOT Guru to see your specific armour stats:http://wotguru.com/w...-guide-matilda/  

Just follow these tips and you will become an Ace in no time! Did I miss something you feel should be mentioned? Comment! Which Tank should I do nxt? 

[Thread moved to Soviet Tanks]

~StealthyArmadillo

epicheeru #2 Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:19 PM

Meme Lord of the 21st Century

• Players
  • 17916 battles
  • [501RV]

Good luck getting into CW!

Spoiler

Good guide, +1

Edited by epicheeru, 15 August 2015 - 09:19 PM.

Tier X: E 50 M | T-62A | Leopard 1 | IS-7 | FV4202

d0ugh_b0y #3 Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:23 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 7226 battles
Hey thanks! I am not trying to get into CW just wanna be able to provide a guide to every tank out there in the same style so that people who like my guides are able to help themselves easily

MRKKW #4 Posted 15 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

EDM Addict

• Players
  • 20723 battles
  • [_V2_]
Awesome guide! +1

SunnyBeach #5 Posted 19 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [III-Z]
Don't forget the awesome vertical range of the gun. Something like -14 deg depression and 25 deg elevation. 

Jim0265 #6 Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4671 battles
Thanks for the great guide and the time put into it. The gun depression is good on this tank,  so this is a plus in its arsenal in my view.

Also tagged with guide, Matilda IV

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users