Guide for New Players: Positioning Your Tank

_1204_ Guide for new players Individual tactics

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Putins_Chariot #1 Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:37 AM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles
Note: If you have been on the forums a while, you will probably learn NOTHING from this, as it was directed for very new players...  All comments, suggestions, +1's, requests for other guides, or questions can be commented here, or PM'd to me. I also know there are other guides on this stuff, but thought I'd try my own.

Some more "Guides for New Players":

Situational Awareness

Knowing Your Role

Positioning Your Tank    

Throughout your WoT career, you will learn many tricks and tips on how to enhance your game play. A key thing to learn is where and how to position your tank to get the most out of it. That's where my guides and myself come in:) I hope to help you get your tank in the right position to maximize destruction in all aspects. The most important thing is to know your tank! Know its strengths, weaknesses, and how you should play it. Hope you enjoy the read!

1. Hull Down

Overview

Going "Hull down" is some tanks only, or greatest strength. Yes, I'm talking about most all of the mid tier US heavy tanks. This tactic can be applied o ANY tank, but the USA Heavy line is built solely for this purpose. When a tank is hull down, it simply means that its hull, or base, is covered and or protected. The object covering it is irrelevant, as long as it can bounce and/or absorb shells. This could consist of, but is not limited to: Dead tanks, terrain, walls (In blitz), rocks, trains, wrecked planes (Malkovia) and so on. In real life, armies may dig trenches, or pile sandbags to make a tank "Hull down"

A few main things

1. Likely need good gun depression- Gun depression is how far down your gun can aim. Usually in WoT, you will be using hills when you are hull down. If you are on a hill, your gun will be pointing in the air! Your gun needs to be able to point down to aim level to the ground, to some extent. This is what makes the Dicker max, ans some other German TDs not yet added to Blitz so dangerous, their gun depression makes them a tiny target that is impossible to hit from afar.
  2. Tall tanks > Small tanks- Bigger tanks, like the T34, and the T29 are beasts at hull down positions. this is because they can look over many obstacles. Most mediums will drive up to a rock and cand see over it. The taller the tank, the more hull down options you have. On a hill there is no difference, except shorter tanks usually have less gun depression
  3. No weak turret- You can not have a weak turret, or turret hatch, because that is the key of hull down. Its pointless to cover 1 weakspot when another just pops up for the enemy to hit. A lot of American and some German tanks have huge turret hatches, which are super easy to nail at close(ish) range. Also tanks with flat and weak turrets, such as the cromwell and many tier 1's  can not, for obvious reasons.
  4. (Usually) No TDs- TDs usually can not go hull down because their armor is generally weaker, and/or they have weak-points. A select few are fantastic at it, such as Jagtiger, JgPzE100 at mid range, and a T28 if bottom tier (otherwise you have enough armor to just assault them). Know your TD well. It is hard to distinguish where you may be vunerable in a td.

Countering hull down Hull down enemies can be tough, but there are several ways to deal with them. Try to keep them busy while an ally flanks them. If you have a friend behind a hull down enemy, they WILL turn around. At that time you rush over the hill and its a 2 vs 1 free for all. If this is not logical or sensible for some reason, say that you are out gunned or out HP'd, then you can both get into positions and fire from cover from different angles. Usually tanks with strong frontal turrets will have weaker sides, as hes turning. If you are alone, and have a high HE load and a lot of time, try shooting high explosive ammunition in the hull downs tanks face. This is ill-logical and should be a last resort. It wastes time and money. HE shells can do SOME damage to armor way above AP penetration values. You may do 10% of full he damage if you are lucky. Please keep in mind to only shoot yellow areas with HE. Some things HE just cant penetrate. :trollface:

Visuals

2. Sidescraping- 
Overview                                                                                                                                                                    (Bad at describing... The video says it all)
Side scraping is a good tactic to know. In fact, its probably the best. Some tanks are nearly impossible to play if you do not know how to sidescrape. The FV 215b and VK45.02B are two good examples. Any tank with a "Turret on its butt" is built to sidescrape. Also tanks with turrets on the very front can turn around and "reverse sidescrape" which is very hard and difficult (skip to the picture section if interested). Tanks that hope to side scrape must have decent to strong side armor, and can not have odd angles on the side that would let the enemy get an easy penetration in. The one goal of sidescraping is to show the enemy a surface so intensely angled that even premium ammo can not penetrate you. Some smart fella's may say, "Then what about your hull?" Part of sidescraping is you have to cover your hull on a building, rock, or other terrain. When done correctly, sidescraping can bounce any and every shot. Basically get flat against a building, and poke a bit of your tank out and an extreme angle. Just reverse back in forth and every few pop out a little further and nail 'em. I have found that if you make yourself parallel with a building and JUST stick your track out, you wont take damage, though your track will be blown to Timbuktu. That will happen anyhow though, just a side effect of awesome:teethhappy: Any questions about that second part just PM me. Its not real traditional sidescraping.

Important conceps
  1. Cover your hull- Don't forget to protect your hull behind a building or other cover. If you don't do this you look like a utter idiot who has no clue how to control a WoT tank
  2. Make the angle as little as possible- The less of an angle the enemy has to shoot at, the less you will get penetrated. Don't forsake this angle for hull protection
  3. Deal with the tracks- Sidescraping is suicide for your tracks. If you try to sidescrape in any form, your tracks will be constantly blasted to oblivion. 

Countering the sidescrape

Sidescrapers can be countered in many ways. As normal, a flanker to get behind them will force them to retreat, then you can rush them and again, a 2 vs 1 free for all. A solo tactic is to rush them. Sidescrapers (including myself) think they are safe until somebody rushes them. If you rush a sidescraper, you will get a clear 90º shot at their side, which will usually penetrate.. Then you can engage in a brawl with the sidescraper, and hopefully win! Another thing you can do is use the building/object that they are using for cover. Just get behind it, forcing them to move around if they want a shot. Then you can choose if you want to engage in a brawl, or retreat

BE AWARE; Sidescrapers are usually forumers who have many battles and tons of experience. know you are dealing with a experienced player.:bajan:

Visuals

3. Facehugging    form A

Overview

To "Facehug" someone is an expression used for basically rubbing your turret in another persons face! This accomplishes not only a hilarious thing to watch, but a viable tactic. Tanks with strong turret armor work the best at facehugging, since all that the enemy can shoot is, your turret! Pretty simple to do, just keep your turret in front of their gun, don't let them look anywhere else. It is a mutual benefit. Basically creates a stand off, since most frontal turrets cant be penetrated by tanks of similar tiers. Pretty simple eh?

Main Ideas

1.  Don't let them look away- Some tanks have a good enough gun depression that they can shoot you in places other than your strong points, if they get the chance. Keep their gun focused on your turret!
  2. Remember its mutual- When facehugging, nobody gets hit! Both you and the enemy are "happy". Use that against him. Wiggle around and find small weakspots you can drill to get damage.
  3. He shoots you shoot- Usually when face hugging, the enemy will try a luck shot at your turret. Whether it works or not, that is your time to slam the gas, break away and shoot him. Then get right back in that facehug. 
  4. Don't let him escape- Don't let your prey get away! Move with him at all times (unless you are taking a shot, but then get right back with him)

Countering-

Like I said, pull away only to shoot them. If you do not want to be facehugged, use a building to scrape him off like mud on your shoes. Or dive off cliff/hill works, Or shoot out a S.O.S. As always, waiting with your newest red friend is not a bad idea also. Flankers will come, and then you can pull out and 2 vs 1 him (again). HE ammo is another viable, but bad option.

Visuals

4. Facehugging    form B

overview

My "form" of face hugging is only possible with some tanks, and can be done only to some tanks. This happens when a small-profile tank goes up to a large/tall tank and sits there. The large tank does not have the gun depression to shoot down at you. Take a look at Major Troller's video

See what he does with that maus? That is the basis of this method. Most all USSR mediums can do this, and german heavies, and a few Russians are vulnerable to it. Try to stay up against their side, So you don't get on their front where they can hit you. Get really up close and personal. Remember even a bump from the Maus hurts. Avoid getting rammed. Also make sure they do not have the gun depression to shoot down onto your weak roof or engine deck.

Counter

If this is happening to you, try to reverse against a building. Watch the Maus in the vid after he has less than 1000 HP. He tries to scrape him off. It depends on the tank type and situation. If its an e25, try to reverse. Since e25 is a TD, he doesn't have a turret, and can't rotate with your tank .

Visuals

5. Angling

Overview

Angling is one of the oldest and simplest method of tank positioning. It you angle your tank, the increased armor is enough to be a lifesaver. Preety simple and easy to understand. Just off set your tank from facing an enemy dead on and your armor is used more effectively. Don't wanna fill this with more useless crap, so look at the visuals if you're still confused:)

Important basics

1. Know your tank- Know a general angle that is best for your tank. You angle too much and you expose your fragile side, Too little and its pointless, you are still exposing your weakspots. 
  2. NEVER angle in a "pike nose"- Some tanks, like is3 and is8 have a "pike nose" If you angle in a piked nose tank, bad things will happen, since you basically just gave the enemy a free shot. There is the "Stalin angle" but that should never be tried.
  3. Mind the rear- Don't forget rears of tanks can be angled too! Mostly German heavies, and in a rare scenario when the enemy has low penetration
  4. You cant angle against multiple enemies- Angling only works against one enemy. Don't try it on enemies in different directions.

Countering angled enemies

An angled enemy can be tough, but get to as many different points around him and he will have nothing to angle at. This way SOMEBODY will always be able to penetrate. Also if somebody tries to rush him and facehug or CoD him, then he/she will be forced to turn his/her turret, potentially exposing more weakspots.

Visuals

Hope you enjoyed!

Got something to add? Leave it in the comments and I can edit it in! 

Edited by _1204_, 16 August 2015 - 12:38 AM.

MRobertsRCS #2 Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:46 AM

Supreme Fettuccini

• Players
  • 30130 battles
  • [501DV]
Very nice.  +1

My E4 has a cup holder            

xXx_Elsa_From_Frozen_xXx #3 Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:50 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11478 battles
  • [SRT_]
Great detailed information! +1

Above of 99% of North American Players.                       ~2113 WN7 (Super Unicum)                    ~3200WN8 (Super Unicum)  

I'm a Frozen enthusiast and I shall never let it go! 

ARandomGenieGuy #4 Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:55 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 18238 battles
Love your guide!  Even though I knew all the terms explained, the images you used and the way you wrote it kept me reading. Nice job would like to read this guide when I started playing. 

MRKKW #5 Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:56 AM

EDM Addict

• Players
  • 21003 battles
  • [_V2_]
Amazing guide!:great: +1

Putins_Chariot #6 Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:02 AM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

View PostARandomGenieGuy, on 15 August 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

Love your guide!  Even though I knew all the terms explained, the images you used and the way you wrote it kept me reading. Nice job would like to read this guide when I started playing. 

I know:mellow: I hate writing stuff everyone here knows, but its worth it for that one noob thats gonna come across these someday.

Katherinedog #7 Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:18 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8881 battles
Thx for helping the noobs out to make our battle easier :) +1
My stats       Tier 10s Obj 140, IS 7, IS4, currently working for E100 and T57 Heavy

George__S__Patton #8 Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:42 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 32379 battles
  • [501ST]

Nice guide, very informative for those n00bs who even bother to visit us on the forum.

Also couldn't help but notice this:

View Post_1204_, on 15 August 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

Important conceps

Not the only typo since I've noticed several more. They're no biggie, really.

Edited by George__S__Patton, 16 August 2015 - 01:44 AM.

Putins_Chariot #9 Posted 16 August 2015 - 01:52 AM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

View PostGeorge__S__Patton, on 15 August 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:

Important conceps

I did that on purpose to see if anyone would catch. Didnt spell check the others that well... Just looked for red squigglys

Unitater #10 Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:05 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22204 battles
  • [GRIM]
Great guide man!

All tier Xs acquired. Professional premium tank collector for WoTB.

Please check out my youtubeYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Links to my guides can be found on my about me page (on profile)

Casual tanker, forum user, and pledge signer

Player_0000000007 #11 Posted 16 August 2015 - 02:15 AM

Theorist of Dubiously Coincidental Events

• Players
  • 32483 battles
  • [SPUD]

Really great guide. Lots of detail and time put into this one, +1. But here's some very grave news, and it's not your fault in any way: few people of the many who actually really need to read this will ever even go on the forums, let alone see this.......unless WG makes it a public service announcement in game. :)

Edited by kewlstory, 16 August 2015 - 02:16 AM.

But missiles weren't even that overpowered...

Just another demo account, nothing to see here

"Say what you like, but stop pissing on my back and telling me it's raining." Blartch

Yfilc #12 Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:37 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 12321 battles
  • [DD-O]

Nice!

But you should try and get an in-game picture of another tank that is hull-down; perhaps an enemy. 

koop123 #13 Posted 16 August 2015 - 04:56 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8461 battles

Probably one of the best guides I have seen in the last 6 months. Very nice. I think I love most of you, despite never really speaking to you in game or on the forum, is because you represent a cache of humans that I can talk to about this game. The forums ( this one, Triarii's and the Unchained forum) have been my only outlet ever since my wifi issues threw me off the reservation.

Thank you for this.

Hope it can be pinned as it will help all those future tankers who download this app and seek out advice.

WR~0.23% Damage Ratio~.0009  WN9~ 35.  Avg Tier~1.10

Mr_BushyBeard #14 Posted 16 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

The rent-a-cop

• Players
  • 13413 battles
  • [III-H]
Very well done! This should be required reading for all new players. 

WHO NEEDS ARTY WHEN YOU’VE GOT RNG TO MAGICALLY SCREW YOU?

Formerly “Augustus_Sohn”; lost a bet to my son and this was his pick. 

car105king #15 Posted 16 August 2015 - 03:29 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 14012 battles
  • [501ST]
Nice! +1 but it's for new players? Why are u using a t62, is-4 and vk?
p92XFfh.gif
Purple letters and tank names! Tier x tank names! Some awesome words describing how amazing I am! and how i am supposed to fill 5 lines?

Putins_Chariot #16 Posted 16 August 2015 - 08:02 PM

Admiral Kitty

• Players
  • 22247 battles

View Postcar105king, on 16 August 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

Nice! +1 but it's for new players? Why are u using a t62, is-4 and vk?

To noobs, anyone with a tier x is god... Plus Im just proving a point

View Post_Irregular_Apocalypse_, on 15 August 2015 - 11:56 PM, said:

Probably one of the best guides I have seen in the last 6 months. Very nice. I think I love most of you, despite never really speaking to you in game or on the forum, is because you represent a cache of humans that I can talk to about this game. The forums ( this one, Triarii's and the Unchained forum) have been my only outlet ever since my wifi issues threw me off the reservation.

Thank you for this.

Hope it can be pinned as it will help all those future tankers who download this app and seek out advice.

Why thank you :)

View Postkewlstory, on 15 August 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

Really great guide. Lots of detail and time put into this one, +1. But here's some very grave news, and it's not your fault in any way: few people of the many who actually really need to read this will ever even go on the forums, let alone see this.......unless WG makes it a public service announcement in game. :)

Yup. The sad thing is that they really need to. Stuff like angling, sidescraping, and facehugging should be in tutorial. Cut the idiots in half I bet

Flying_Cod #17 Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:39 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27109 battles
  • [III-C]
Great guide, +1 and please pin this.  

Ksftwe #18 Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:18 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 26250 battles
  • [PRAMO]

The only thing I disagree with is the notion that if you have a weak turret, or a turret weakspot, you should not go hull down. Hull down is (next word is important) ALWAYS better than staying out in the open, even if you're an M46 or Leopard 1. Even though you're not going to bounce, it makes you a much smaller target, and if you keep moving, the enemies can easily just miss rather than bounce, which is deadly if you can pen all your shots and half of theirs go sailing over your head.

On that note, it's important to always keep moving no matter how weak or strong your turret is. I would much rather have a shot miss completely than hit my turret and risk penning, even if there's only a 0.0001% chance of that happening. 0% < 0.0001%.

Edited by Ksftwe, 17 August 2015 - 09:21 PM.

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users