Rockfield, terrain bug? - Tanks not outlined. Hit dirt low every time.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

acrisis #1 Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:21 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20329 battles
  • [III-X]

Yesterday I was in a T-34-85 game on the updated Rockfield (I highly dislike the modified terrain & removed cover, btw ), though I have seen this issue on the map before the update. It is just that usually it may just be a single shot or two and you move on to other targets.

And without training rooms, you don't have the benefit of investigating bugs! When strange stuff happens, I want to pull my platoon mate into a training room, pick the same map and check things out. ... Put training rooms on your fast track list WG!!!!

Anyway. Spawned in. Bunkers are to the left. Cap is to the right. Moved up to bunker one. Held position behind the low concrete outcropping to the right of bunker one. There were no enemies to shoot at near bunker two. They all went more central and were coming up behind a bit of an elevated ridge, slightly forward right. Several enemies were hulled down over there, had their turret and part of their tank appear, as they were shooting me and my team mates.

So scooting slightly forward, I would take careful aim in sniper mode and try to hit them.  The enemy tanks never not get the typical tank targeted highlight outline. No matter how much of my reticule was taken up by them.  I pressed fire anyhow, since I have the enemy square in my sights ... and figured it was an outline bug. No. Every single shot hit the "edge" of the ridge and went in right below the enemy tank, with a poof of dirt blowing up. Try again. Same thing. Try again. Same thing.

9 shots. 0 hits.

Now I know my tank's gun isn't the most accurate, it is likely that only some of these shots would have gone in, given the turret armor, I'm not a unicum, but I'm not exactly noob either. Anyhow. From my position shooting the same enemy targets along that ridge. 9 times. NOT A SINGLE shot connected. All hit the dirt.

Which leads to be believe there is some type of terrain bug on that map. And/or something else going on with tanks not outlining under certain conditions. I see it from time to time, but without paper & pencil ready, and multiple targets to focus on, next game starts, out of sight out of mind.

Anybody else have similar experiences?

Forum essentials:  > Desktop mode 
Check recent threads. Check WG staff threads. Use search.
    > WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Got lag issues ?  >> Pingplotter thread  << 
Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

FavreDollarFootlong #2 Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:37 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4501 battles

I've been experiencing something similar to this, and not just on Rockfield, but any map with rolling or hilly terrain.

When I'm targeting a tanks cupola and he's hull down, there have been several times I don't get the outline as I should.

But, in my case, I fired and actually scored a hit.

Edited by FavreDollarFootlong, 20 August 2015 - 12:37 PM.

Unitater #3 Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:40 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles
This happens on many maps. It is not a bug. Simply, your device is not rendering some of the hill at a distance, so even if you see a clear shot, DONT FIRE until you see the red outline of the tank. Otherwise you will hit the dirt

All tier Xs acquired. Professional premium tank collector for WoTB.

Please check out my youtubeYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Links to my guides can be found on my about me page (on profile)

Casual tanker, forum user, and pledge signer

acrisis #4 Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20329 battles
  • [III-X]

Here's a visual of the circumstances under which I experienced the aiming bug / terrain bug:

Image taken after I pulled back and gave up trying to shoot those four tanks ( VK, E8, Cromwell and T34-85).

At the time of firing I was closer to the cement / concrete outcropping, viewing and targeting as outlined between the lines.

The single shot dmg I did was going around left and hitting another tank away from that ridge. 

> WG Bugs and current update     > Feedback     > Vehicle Bay     > Guides     > Videos 

BE  (+)   

Blitz Community Coalition | Looney Tooners | Triarii | Blitz University | Basic Training  | Mentor

acrisis #5 Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:02 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20329 battles
  • [III-X]

I see some ninja'd in a response before I got around to posting my image. Thank you, guys :)

I hear you that it can happen in other locations. I see it once in a while as well. On hilly terrain, like you say. Just will have to make a list, I guess.

But this case was just so super bad, with the only targets I had to shoot at, and so clear cut, I just had to file it as a bug. 

Note:

- I now play on an iPad Air 2 with graphics maxed out

- I was shooting targets one map square away ... so "distance rendering" certainly shouldn't be due to graphics performance or my game settings.

Edited by acrisis, 20 August 2015 - 01:02 PM.

BE  (+)   

blindsniper74 #6 Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 40878 battles
  • [III-R]
Yes, absolutely have seen this since 2.0.  It happens on Winter Malikova, Rockfield, Oasis, and Mines.  Not sure if it is a rendering problem, because it did not happen like this before the update.  Perhaps with the graphics selection in the settings, they have messed things up.  Thanks for bringing up this subject.

acrisis #7 Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20329 battles
  • [III-X]
Thanks.
I'm open to rename the topic to simply Aiming / Terrain bug; if we want to compile a list inside this topic of other maps / instances where we have experienced this issue.

And PS: The bug went one way. They were hitting me pretty hard during my pre-aim, aim more carefully, scoot and shoot exercise.

Edited by acrisis, 20 August 2015 - 01:12 PM.

BE  (+)   

LE_gend_VI #8 Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:41 PM

The man, the myth

• Players
  • 20814 battles
  • [NIPS]
Temple map also! If hugged up against the buildings in the town up top you hit the wall you're on. Create space and you're fine

Psyberius #9 Posted 20 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

Prestige Worldwide

• Players
  • 29243 battles
There are definitely a few places and various maps where this happens to me as well. My memory may be false. But I don't remember this being an issue a good few (or more) updates ago. And it happens at any range and I use an iPad Air2 and sometimes an iPhone 6 Plus so draw distance isn't a factor. Best solution until they fix it is to relocate I guess :amazed:

"I have come here to kick @$$ and chew bubblegum.

...and I'm all out of bubblegum."

- "Rowdy" Roddy Piper

acrisis #10 Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20329 battles
  • [III-X]

Maybe - if we're not under direct fire or in an immediate dog fight - we can take a moment for a screen shot to have a visual memory and then share on the forum, so these things can be compiled, looked at and get fixed. Whatever the true issue is or combination of things.

BE  (+)   

tlouie #11 Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]
I see this behavior a lot when the enemy is behind craggy terrain, and I believe it's due to the distance rendering artifact.

You can see it happen if you watch the craggy terrain as you drive closer. Terrain that looks like this:

__/===\__

... will suddenly look like this as you approach:

_/=\/=\__

Edited by tlouie, 20 August 2015 - 02:07 PM.

acrisis #12 Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20329 battles
  • [III-X]

When it is distance shots, yes, there could be slight variations in terrain you can't make out.

Add to that dispersion and what should be natural ballistics and shots would hit low.

Or even if they connect, they may not have enough energy to pen whichever amount of armor.

I know what you mean, that terrain details get rendered as you about the map, but, how much artifacting could there be within one square on the map?

Especially in the above highlighted scenario, where I'm looking at a pretty smooth ridge - which I've seen from the other side and isn't the back of an alligator _/\-/\_ or has some _-0-0-_ stones / small boulders embedded in it that I can't see.

BE  (+)   

tlouie #13 Posted 20 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]
Maybe we should have a poll to see which map seems to have the most ghost shell terrain artifacts, then we can try to narrow it down to a spot on the map that the developers can reproduce the problem.

reluctanttheist #14 Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:00 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 24832 battles
  • [III-H]

I'm sure it's the render distance thing.  You guys have all seen as the app adds more polygons iteratively as you approach terrain - the view may show low detail, but the shot is based on the high detail model.  If the highly detailed terrain model close to you seems to be protecting you, it is!  But it will create some frustration for distant shooters.

That said, there are aiming bugs at the top of Middleberg - climb to the top of the upper hills and you can't shoot worth a damn.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

acrisis #15 Posted 20 August 2015 - 06:32 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 20329 battles
  • [III-X]

Color me skeptic. I'm just not convinced it is a rendering issue between different models. 100m. Highest detail. Tanks that stick up several feet above a ridge.

Certainly in the scenario I was trying to hit enemies, and with the screen shot highlight, devs certainly should be able to investigate.

A poll would be interesting.

I will certainly try to actively take note of this issue going forward in other maps and conditions. 

Now, if we had save games / on device recording and replay ability ... :harp: ...  Things would be really simple to share, highlight and investigate.

BE  (+)   

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users