Jump to content


Community Created Contest #1: Radley-Walters' Medal Race


  • Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

WhaleSmacker #141 Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 17137 battles
  • 798
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    12-10-2014

View PostJimerian, on 24 August 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

Three weeks later people will still try to submit entries and CC will be forced to lock the thread.

You know me to we'll.:P



Sh4dowSt4lker #142 Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 20967 battles
  • 390
  • [IMPR]
  • Member since:
    03-07-2015
Annoyng rules -_-, how can someone cheat by posting the timezone in a diferent post?

Tgb_matt #143 Posted 24 August 2015 - 10:39 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 43861 battles
  • 705
  • [KR0N0]
  • Member since:
    01-25-2015

View PostCC_Sly, on 24 August 2015 - 09:55 PM, said:

Hey everyone, well that went by quickly.

 

Here are your 10 winners:

  • Katherinedog
  • Alakazamfan1
  • ThemasterTanker1
  • Melo_7
  • purplemonkeys11
  • pattymelt
  • CakeIsLie
  • SGM_zorbaz
  • 2ya
  • pummlingpumpkin

Congrats. 

I didn't even know about it yet.   


 


acrisis #144 Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:50 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 18604 battles
  • 8,422
  • [EQ-TR]
  • Member since:
    12-27-2014

OMG! 

:(

Who in the world does a community contest on a weekday at 3pm EST ...

Throwing prior contest feedback about timing out the window re: working and school ...

Making it first ten five kill entries win ...

And most people find out after the fact ...

:(

 


 

   Blitz   Community   Coalition   
 BCC Forum Thread | BCC Discord invite

 Mission Poll  |  Goose Event Poll  | ... 
Looney Tooners  ||  Triarii  ||  Blitz University  ||  Basic Training  ||  Mentor

2.8 Blitz Economy - A visual of the credit coefficients | Got lag? =>  Pingplotter thread


Luckydip #145 Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:17 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Players
  • 19041 battles
  • 19
  • [C-4]
  • Member since:
    11-28-2014

 I log on yesterday saw notting new, Log back on tonight i missed the event. _-

I prefer the winning pool be increased, 10 is to damn small even though i voted for 500 each winner* like last Radley event.  Those times were fun. Saw only 10winners,  not even going to bother with this event. Grind 14mill in 2 weeks for 2tier10s, don't even feel like playing  anymore.



CC_Sly #146 Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

    Community Lead

  • Administrator
  • 3087 battles
  • 1,441
  • [WGA]
  • Member since:
    02-02-2015

For this edition, I am trying to focus more on my observations rather than the positive and negative things that happened. I am also trying to keep in mind of what variables I could control in this contest. These things consist of when the contest portion began, how long the polls were up for, What questions we asked on the polls, what avenues we used to promote the contest, and other such things. 

 

So here we go:

 

What Sly Observed from: Community Created Contest #1: Radley-Walters' Medal Race

  • Player complaints/suggestions/feedback. There were a lot of players who voiced their opinions and suggestions on how the contest was run.
    • Any "you should have had more/less winners", "Why did you chose the Radley-Walters' Medal", " or any other complaint/suggestion about how the final contest was run based on a poll vote - was noted and filed under the "you guys voted for it" section.
    • The timing of the contest. Since we had a "First to get" style of contest, I had to make a decision on when to start this. I made it based on when I thought the earliest I could reliably get the post up. 
      • This could be changed in the future in order to allow those who have school or work to have a chance. I will discuss this with Ratbat and see when our peak times are and base my decision on that.
  • Visibility seemed to be an issue for some people. The point of this contest was to promote it 95% of the forums. No news article, no Push Notification, just a forum post. 
    • This seemed to drive up the Tier restriction for the contest.  
    • The second part to this experiment will include trying to promote this through more channels and get more people to vote.   
    • Some players were saying that they did not receive enough time to prepare for the contest.
      • Not sure how I can make this more visible just using the forums - I posted everything with schedules 1 week in advanced and the polls were public so anyone could see what they were going to have to do.
  • This contest required that I answer lots of questions and moderate it quite closely. I could have let it go and just taken the first 10 valid entries as I had described in the contest rules, but it was obvious there was some disconnect between the How to Enter, Contest Rules, and the the entries themselves.
    • Not sure how I can fix this. I gave what was required and an example. Suggestions?
    • This created extra work and required I closely monitor the thread, taking away time from my other duties.  
  • Overall it seemed like the voting process caused players to look at each questions separately as opposed to how they would interact with each other as a contest.
    • People seemed unhappy about the first 10 to get the medals even though that is what people voted for.
    • Not sure how to fix this without creating a TON of extra work.     

 

These are my observations and I did leave a few out, but any suggestions pertaining to more complex contest structure are not really valid. The more complex this is the more the workload grows exponentially.

 

Let me know what you guys thought! 


FORMER

  Please read the WoT Blitz Game and Forum rules.

   Forum Rules - EULA TOS

   Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

 


crazychimp69 #147 Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:14 PM

    Clubs Wargaming

  • Players
  • 24470 battles
  • 7,239
  • [SRT]
  • Member since:
    07-24-2014
My suggestion for the time zone thing is to add a time zone in-game... But then again... People could always change it..l

Wolfpack355

 
 

SkiFletch #148 Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:10 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 24979 battles
  • 5,911
  • [SRT]
  • Member since:
    07-07-2014

View PostCC_Sly, on 25 August 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

 

  • Overall it seemed like the voting process caused players to look at each questions separately as opposed to how they would interact with each other as a contest.
    • People seemed unhappy about the first 10 to get the medals even though that is what people voted for.
    • Not sure how to fix this without creating a TON of extra work.     

 

 

Circular argument.  You can't fix this without doing polls sequentially, something I've pointed out a lot in this process, and involving at least SOME more work.  Your only option is to pick one aspect of a contest (reward/type/tier), ask for a vote on that, and then WG pick a contest structure that fits that voting result.  Letting the inmates fully run the assylum leads to this all the time.  

 

PERHAPS actually polling people for what medal they wanted would have worked in this scenario, but still, a majority humans will pick the easy rout, not having bothered to use their eyeballs to read the fact that only 10 people get it, and engage their brains to understand that the ultimate result would yield to a race to it.  

 

Instead of asking people to post what they want and tally later, you could have given choices to that poll that had a relative difficulty to the number of winners (Raisin, Tarczay, or any of the others I suggested to you), OR if you were dead set on Radley and 10 winners, a lottery system would have seemed more fair to a majority of the player base and certainly received more participation than an hours worth of contest....

 

Some of those options represent a compromise between not a "TON" of extra work for you, while still getting to the spirit of what people want.



pilgrim2223 #149 Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:55 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11660 battles
  • 348
  • Member since:
    02-17-2015

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of this Sly, my only observation would be that a lot of English speaking countries world wide play on the NA server so trying to give a fair time period so we can all have an opportunity to enter is nigh on impossible. Some will be disadvantaged because the start time was very early morning or very late at night.

So why don't you play on the Europe sever I hear you all ask, well that's a nightmare cos there are a hundred different languages to contend with as a starter and also the mind set/mentality of  a lot of Europeans is vastly different from the NA crew.

However the contest as it was was as good as it could be and yes it is what was voted for so "Well done" for your efforts and when is the next one?


To those who "Lemming Train"...Rowing harder is not a solution if your boat is headed in the wrong direction.

To those who "Camp"....You will miss 100% of your shots if you don't take any.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further: it may be beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow, across that angry or that glimmering sea.


cashcashme #150 Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:06 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 5849 battles
  • 708
  • [SPUD]
  • Member since:
    02-17-2015
If you gave me 2500 gold for my belated entry, I would be happy. :)

Ahredstealth, on 01 July 2016 said:

I love the new economy.  It's stupid.

 

 "If you can't take the pain, then don't play the game"

   #YOLOboy                                                                                                                                                                   Worst timing of anyone in [SPUD(X)]


CC_Sly #151 Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:11 PM

    Community Lead

  • Administrator
  • 3087 battles
  • 1,441
  • [WGA]
  • Member since:
    02-02-2015

View PostSkiFletch, on 25 August 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

 

Circular argument.  You can't fix this without doing polls sequentially, something I've pointed out a lot in this process, and involving at least SOME more work.  Your only option is to pick one aspect of a contest (reward/type/tier), ask for a vote on that, and then WG pick a contest structure that fits that voting result.  Letting the inmates fully run the assylum leads to this all the time.  

 

PERHAPS actually polling people for what medal they wanted would have worked in this scenario, but still, a majority humans will pick the easy rout, not having bothered to use their eyeballs to read the fact that only 10 people get it, and engage their brains to understand that the ultimate result would yield to a race to it.  

 

Instead of asking people to post what they want and tally later, you could have given choices to that poll that had a relative difficulty to the number of winners (Raisin, Tarczay, or any of the others I suggested to you), OR if you were dead set on Radley and 10 winners, a lottery system would have seemed more fair to a majority of the player base and certainly received more participation than an hours worth of contest....

 

Some of those options represent a compromise between not a "TON" of extra work for you, while still getting to the spirit of what people want.

 

If I were to do a more "vote for a theme" and WG will chose the contest deal - I would have to plan and write out every possible contest before that poll went up. That is far too much time and work put into this. If I were to break up the polls into each section, the process would take far too long and people would start to lose interest after the first 2 weeks. If I shortened the poll lifetime then I would get people saying they didn't have enough time to vote and the contest wasn't fair since they didn't get a chance to get their say in.   

 

View Postpilgrim2223, on 25 August 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Thanks for the opportunity to be part of this Sly, my only observation would be that a lot of English speaking countries world wide play on the NA server so trying to give a fair time period so we can all have an opportunity to enter is nigh on impossible. Some will be disadvantaged because the start time was very early morning or very late at night.

So why don't you play on the Europe sever I hear you all ask, well that's a nightmare cos there are a hundred different languages to contend with as a starter and also the mind set/mentality of  a lot of Europeans is vastly different from the NA crew.

However the contest as it was was as good as it could be and yes it is what was voted for so "Well done" for your efforts and when is the next one?

 

You are welcome! I am going to look at when we have the most people online and base my timings more off that than a "middle of the day" deal.

 

As far as the next one, part 2 of this 2 part experiment will be coming in September. Don;t expect too many changes, I plan to keep the format nearly identical since this is an experiment. Then I will gather feedback from that one as well and determine if this is something I want to keep doing for Blitz or if I want to try a different variation.  


FORMER

  Please read the WoT Blitz Game and Forum rules.

   Forum Rules - EULA TOS

   Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

 


acrisis #152 Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:55 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 18604 battles
  • 8,422
  • [EQ-TR]
  • Member since:
    12-27-2014
It all started on the wrong foot with the contest starting as the "first ten entries" time wise, versus what was asked &  understood in the poll as a "top ten (highest, best, most, ...) entries" ... 

 

   Blitz   Community   Coalition   
 BCC Forum Thread | BCC Discord invite

 Mission Poll  |  Goose Event Poll  | ... 
Looney Tooners  ||  Triarii  ||  Blitz University  ||  Basic Training  ||  Mentor

2.8 Blitz Economy - A visual of the credit coefficients | Got lag? =>  Pingplotter thread


CC_Sly #153 Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:13 PM

    Community Lead

  • Administrator
  • 3087 battles
  • 1,441
  • [WGA]
  • Member since:
    02-02-2015

View Postacrisis, on 25 August 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

It all started on the wrong foot with the contest starting as the "first ten entries" time wise, versus what was asked &  understood in the poll as a "top ten (highest, best, most, ...) entries" ... 

 

The wording was "The Top/First 10 people should win"

 

Now I suppose that I could have included a question in part 2 to ask if you guys wanted the First 10 or the Top 10. Top 10 being the 10 people who earned the most of that medal over the course of the week, or the First 10 being what the contest was. When I originally made the polls the medal was classified in the "first to get" category though, which is why I ran it that way. 

 

I can see that - however that would require a BI pull. That is a request that is made to BI. Those requests need to be filled out about a week in advance. So I could have requested it when I started the contest and have had it hopefully at the end of the contest. I will take that into account in part 2 of this experiment. This is why I do these "What Sly _______ from"

  :)


FORMER

  Please read the WoT Blitz Game and Forum rules.

   Forum Rules - EULA TOS

   Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

 


Mistake_ #154 Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:33 PM

    Senior Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4611 battles
  • 897
  • Member since:
    11-22-2014

View PostCC_Sly, on 25 August 2015 - 02:03 PM, said:

For this edition, I am trying to focus more on my observations rather than the positive and negative things that happened. I am also trying to keep in mind of what variables I could control in this contest. These things consist of when the contest portion began, how long the polls were up for, What questions we asked on the polls, what avenues we used to promote the contest, and other such things. 

 

So here we go:

 

What Sly Observed from: Community Created Contest #1: Radley-Walters' Medal Race

  • Player complaints/suggestions/feedback. There were a lot of players who voiced their opinions and suggestions on how the contest was run.
    • Any "you should have had more/less winners", "Why did you chose the Radley-Walters' Medal", " or any other complaint/suggestion about how the final contest was run based on a poll vote - was noted and filed under the "you guys voted for it" section.
    • The timing of the contest. Since we had a "First to get" style of contest, I had to make a decision on when to start this. I made it based on when I thought the earliest I could reliably get the post up. 
      • This could be changed in the future in order to allow those who have school or work to have a chance. I will discuss this with Ratbat and see when our peak times are and base my decision on that.
  • Visibility seemed to be an issue for some people. The point of this contest was to promote it 95% of the forums. No news article, no Push Notification, just a forum post. 
    • This seemed to drive up the Tier restriction for the contest.  
    • The second part to this experiment will include trying to promote this through more channels and get more people to vote.   
    • Some players were saying that they did not receive enough time to prepare for the contest.
      • Not sure how I can make this more visible just using the forums - I posted everything with schedules 1 week in advanced and the polls were public so anyone could see what they were going to have to do.
  • This contest required that I answer lots of questions and moderate it quite closely. I could have let it go and just taken the first 10 valid entries as I had described in the contest rules, but it was obvious there was some disconnect between the How to Enter, Contest Rules, and the the entries themselves.
    • Not sure how I can fix this. I gave what was required and an example. Suggestions?
    • This created extra work and required I closely monitor the thread, taking away time from my other duties.  
  • Overall it seemed like the voting process caused players to look at each questions separately as opposed to how they would interact with each other as a contest.
    • People seemed unhappy about the first 10 to get the medals even though that is what people voted for.
    • Not sure how to fix this without creating a TON of extra work.     

 

These are my observations and I did leave a few out, but any suggestions pertaining to more complex contest structure are not really valid. The more complex this is the more the workload grows exponentially.

 

Let me know what you guys thought! 

 

Please don't have the *editing* rule next time because first 10 players didn't win due to editing. 

First ever contest and I participated in :playing:and didn't win just because I edited for my Timezone. 


Edited by Mistake_, 25 August 2015 - 11:39 PM.

My YouTube Channel - Link


SkiFletch #155 Posted 25 August 2015 - 11:47 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 24979 battles
  • 5,911
  • [SRT]
  • Member since:
    07-07-2014

When you say you would have to write out all the details is that something your superiors are asking you to do, or your own thoughts?  No need to answer that if you don't want to :). When I think of a "theme" for a contest, I think the type of contest. In this case, the question you asked which was ultimately amswered "Earn a specific medal" by voters would be the "theme". If you made it clear from the start that we were voting for a general type of contest, and that you guys would then work out details fit said type the best, you might get that combo of low work load for you and allowing us input to feel validated. I probably would have enjoyed the results of less input instead of more. I'm kind of on your side when I think that what we had here was info overload and the whole thing needed simplification to be more successful in basically every way. 

 

Good luck with round two :)



CakeIsLie #156 Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:26 AM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 6495 battles
  • 256
  • [IWOLF]
  • Member since:
    11-23-2012
I got the gold, exactly what I needed to train my crew, thanks Wargaming for making this event!

Favorite tanks - T-54 SU-100Y - T-43 KV-2 M4A2E4 Jpanther II - E-25 Matilda Comet

"Never give up, never surrender!"

 


acrisis #157 Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:54 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 18604 battles
  • 8,422
  • [EQ-TR]
  • Member since:
    12-27-2014

View PostCC_Sly, on 25 August 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

 

The wording was "The Top/First 10 people should win"

 

Now I suppose that I could have included a question in part 2 to ask if you guys wanted the First 10 or the Top 10. Top 10 being the 10 people who earned the most of that medal over the course of the week, or the First 10 being what the contest was. When I originally made the polls the medal was classified in the "first to get" category though, which is why I ran it that way. 

 

I can see that - however that would require a BI pull. That is a request that is made to BI. Those requests need to be filled out about a week in advance. So I could have requested it when I started the contest and have had it hopefully at the end of the contest. I will take that into account in part 2 of this experiment. This is why I do these "What Sly _______ from"

  :)

 

Appreciate the response. A lot can be said about the poll and the contest.

 

Better contest format, announcing, timing, prizes etc after the next one, I hope.

 

Because this and some similar ideas along the same as polled (pick ten random winners?!) are not even worth holding them or participating for, imo. Just my 2c

 


 

   Blitz   Community   Coalition   
 BCC Forum Thread | BCC Discord invite

 Mission Poll  |  Goose Event Poll  | ... 
Looney Tooners  ||  Triarii  ||  Blitz University  ||  Basic Training  ||  Mentor

2.8 Blitz Economy - A visual of the credit coefficients | Got lag? =>  Pingplotter thread


ErikBlack #158 Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:47 AM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 5923 battles
  • 1,151
  • [3AD]
  • Member since:
    12-14-2014

View PostCC_Sly, on 25 August 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

For this edition, I am trying to focus more on my observations rather than the positive and negative things that happened. I am also trying to keep in mind of what variables I could control in this contest. These things consist of when the contest portion began, how long the polls were up for, What questions we asked on the polls, what avenues we used to promote the contest, and other such things. 

 

So here we go:

 

What Sly Observed from: Community Created Contest #1: Radley-Walters' Medal Race

  • Player complaints/suggestions/feedback. There were a lot of players who voiced their opinions and suggestions on how the contest was run.
    • Any "you should have had more/less winners", "Why did you chose the Radley-Walters' Medal", " or any other complaint/suggestion about how the final contest was run based on a poll vote - was noted and filed under the "you guys voted for it" section.
    • The timing of the contest. Since we had a "First to get" style of contest, I had to make a decision on when to start this. I made it based on when I thought the earliest I could reliably get the post up. 
      • This could be changed in the future in order to allow those who have school or work to have a chance. I will discuss this with Ratbat and see when our peak times are and base my decision on that.
  • Visibility seemed to be an issue for some people. The point of this contest was to promote it 95% of the forums. No news article, no Push Notification, just a forum post. 
    • This seemed to drive up the Tier restriction for the contest.  
    • The second part to this experiment will include trying to promote this through more channels and get more people to vote.   
    • Some players were saying that they did not receive enough time to prepare for the contest.
      • Not sure how I can make this more visible just using the forums - I posted everything with schedules 1 week in advanced and the polls were public so anyone could see what they were going to have to do.
  • This contest required that I answer lots of questions and moderate it quite closely. I could have let it go and just taken the first 10 valid entries as I had described in the contest rules, but it was obvious there was some disconnect between the How to Enter, Contest Rules, and the the entries themselves.
    • Not sure how I can fix this. I gave what was required and an example. Suggestions?
    • This created extra work and required I closely monitor the thread, taking away time from my other duties.  
  • Overall it seemed like the voting process caused players to look at each questions separately as opposed to how they would interact with each other as a contest.
    • People seemed unhappy about the first 10 to get the medals even though that is what people voted for.
    • Not sure how to fix this without creating a TON of extra work.     

 

These are my observations and I did leave a few out, but any suggestions pertaining to more complex contest structure are not really valid. The more complex this is the more the workload grows exponentially.

 

Let me know what you guys thought! 

 

I very much enjoyed that you required players to post according to the rules of the contest and edits were disqualified.

_Sterben_ #159 Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

    First Sergeant

  • Players
  • 4384 battles
  • 1,224
  • [MASHU]
  • Member since:
    01-21-2015

Very nice Contest, but sadly didn't participate since I'm only at the low tier and I have TOG 2 but its a tier 6:(

so when will we expect a Radley Walters Contest for the Newbies like me?:)


I'm Back, it was a Fun Vacation in the Abyss

 


pilgrim2223 #160 Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:14 PM

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11660 battles
  • 348
  • Member since:
    02-17-2015

View PostCC_Sly, on 25 August 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

 

If I were to do a more "vote for a theme" and WG will chose the contest deal - I would have to plan and write out every possible contest before that poll went up. That is far too much time and work put into this. If I were to break up the polls into each section, the process would take far too long and people would start to lose interest after the first 2 weeks. If I shortened the poll lifetime then I would get people saying they didn't have enough time to vote and the contest wasn't fair since they didn't get a chance to get their say in.   

 

 

You are welcome! I am going to look at when we have the most people online and base my timings more off that than a "middle of the day" deal.

 

As far as the next one, part 2 of this 2 part experiment will be coming in September. Don;t expect too many changes, I plan to keep the format nearly identical since this is an experiment. Then I will gather feedback from that one as well and determine if this is something I want to keep doing for Blitz or if I want to try a different variation.  

Thanks big guy!


To those who "Lemming Train"...Rowing harder is not a solution if your boat is headed in the wrong direction.

To those who "Camp"....You will miss 100% of your shots if you don't take any.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go always a little further: it may be beyond the last blue mountain barred with snow, across that angry or that glimmering sea.





3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users