What's up with that module target skin mod?

Mods hack cheating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

WriterDude #1 Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:21 AM

My Posts Are Forum Prammo

• Players
  • 23053 battles

I've noticed a few videos that seem to use a skins modification that shows where the modules are on each tank. It also seems to replace the targeting reticle color, making it higher contrast.

That has to help with targeting, and provides an unfair advantage to anyone who uses it. Also, because it is only available if you jailbreak an iOS device, it is not available to all players equally. I'm surprised that WG allows that type of game modification, and I start wondering what other modifications are out there. I normally scoff at the idea of hackers, but this is troublesome.

I get that all is fair in war, and it's silly not to use an advantage - that's like choosing a disadvantage. However this seems unethical. Personally, I think everyone should have the same game experience, within the boundaries of programmed game settings and devices. What do community members think? 

Worthy of focus fire by SPUDX.  Potato Cred Link

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

Minecraftexpert_25 #2 Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:27 AM

Not a Unicum

• Players
  • 31724 battles
  • [PRAMO]
Module hit skins are banned on PC, don't know why they are allowed on blitz.

January 28, 2016- The day Alo8ight moved on in his life from WG and WoTB. You will be missed o7.

March 27, 2017- Dogface takes over as senior producer for WoTB. Fate of Senator_Ratbat unknown.

Block Quote

"The darker the purple, the darker the soul." - Ancient WG proverb. -CrimsonMG

Up up down left right down up left left down <-----my super MLG pro strats 420 no scope headshot hacks (no credit to ksftwe whatsoever)

Powman5703 #3 Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:30 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 8472 battles
Yes,I agree with OP that it does seem unfair.

powman5703_eng.png

"There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity and im not sure about the first one..."

- Albert Einstein 

By ARandomGenieGuy and pasdxd

GenericMIKE #4 Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:40 AM

The Most Generic Tanker in Blitz

• Players
  • 25937 battles
  • [COFFY]
I learned the spots from like 4 years of plying PC

You can visit Blitz Guru for current news, updates, map guides, tank guides and more!

WhaleSmacker #5 Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 17137 battles
  • [SPUD]

I was going to create a long post of how this is bad.

But these people know who they are, and they know hit skins are not right.

Unitater #6 Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:06 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 22189 battles
I just know it isn't banned since big you tubers like Msixteen use it. it does provide an advantage, it is not an unfair one. Jail breaking is the only way to add mods for iOS, rooting on android is easier. As for the reticule mods, those are legal too - they just change the size/color, so I don't feel anything is wrong with that

Edited by Unitater, 04 September 2015 - 12:19 PM.

All tier Xs acquired. Professional premium tank collector for WoTB.

Please check out my youtubeYOUTUBE CHANNEL!

Links to my guides can be found on my about me page (on profile)

Casual tanker, forum user, and pledge signer

Str8UpJack #7 Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 15135 battles
  • [III-P]

The difference of opinion on this type of mod will be very noticeable among the community. Just because it's not "illegal" doesn't mean it's not a form of cheating ;)

I would bet a mortgage payment that WG would say these types of mods are just as illegal here as they are on PC.  Not the CAMO or minimap mods.. those are pretty cool.. but when you get into module or crew hitskin mods... common sense would tell you these are an unfair advantage. 

Edited by Str8UpJack, 04 September 2015 - 12:15 PM.

Mobcrush.com/Str8UpJack / Founding Member of Triarii iii 

PixelRage #8 Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

Professional Easter Egg Hunter

• Players
  • 15170 battles

If you want I can make the module skins available for everyone as long as you have a PC but an unfair advantage for it it sort of is and it sort of isn't if you are like me I have it installed but rarely use it unless I have to and you also have a penetration indicator for this game by default so why not add an extension to it if you can. 

P.S. I love mods and I never play WoT and WoT Blitz without them

Your friendly banned forumer

https://www.youtube..../PixelRageGames

Gib_Savages #9 Posted 04 September 2015 - 12:29 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 27924 battles

If a mod creates an advantage yet is not available to all players through in-game development, then it is an unfair advantage. Whether it is illegal, cheating or not is semantics. Anybody using these and feeling good about it is just fooling themselves.

As some Youtubers have decided to promote this it is probably high time for WG to state a position on these mods with concerns to Blitz. 

EthereaI #10 Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 43220 battles
  • [PHOBO]
I just want a range finder.  Know where to hit tanks so he skins would be of no help to me.  Is there a range finder mod for IOS?  Would love to see the implement this into sniper mode.  Let them hack there devices each time an update comes, it does no seem to be stopping me from wreking them :izmena:

BRUENHILLDE #11 Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:10 PM

I HATE CHEESE

• Players
  • 15170 battles
  • [US-1]
Why WG allows this nonsense in their game I'll never know. On the other hand these mods almost always come from Russia or one of those places where the big internet credit card and bank hackers dwell. (Target and Chase come to mind) Don't be surprised in a year or so from now every penny in your bank and every credit card and all those new loans you didn't open up are invested in a Nigerian oil company. 

Winner of the coveted most admired Blitz forumer award for 2018!  In addition to the 2014,15,16,17 awards.

Over 13,000 profile views. Better than 99.99% of forum users. And more than all of club war gaming members combined. And I've never even started a thread or made a video. By the way everyone hates the rules quoting guy. 

Proud member of US-1 ALL AMERICANS! Americans only. To apply here check out our feeder clans Triari and Prammo first. If you are from north or south of the border do not bother applying. You are not welcome here. Thanks. 

tlouie #12 Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]

View PostBRUENHILLDE, on 04 September 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Why WG allows this nonsense in their game I'll never know. On the other hand these mods almost always come from Russia or one of those places where the big internet credit card and bank hackers dwell. (Target and Chase come to mind) Don't be surprised in a year or so from now every penny in your bank and every credit card and all those new loans you didn't open up are invested in a Nigerian oil company. 

Cheated by a cheating mod? Sweet sweet karma.

potatosparkle #13 Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10972 battles
Makes sense people are using hit skins, since recently using ANY tank either A. my driver or loader gets killed or B. my ammo rack gets damaged unnaturally often. Of course, Wargaming has taken no action against this nor will they anytime soon, as a lot of the people using these cheats spend a good bit of money on this game or are YouTubers. But hey, as long as WG is making money and earning publicity it's all okay, right?

Edited by potatosparkle, 04 September 2015 - 04:25 PM.

-Blitzkrieg-

-I want to die but only ironically-

Top 3 favorite tanks (in order): FV215b, IS-7, Object 140

(◉ ͜ʖ◉)

_VEDDER_ #14 Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 37129 battles
  • [501DV]

I agree the skin is a little over the top but to each their own. Ideally WG should remove even the default hit skins

The Tanker formerly known as RorakSZ13

Tier X: IS-4, IS-7, Obj 268, E 100, M48A1. T110E5, Obj. 140, FV215b, Leo 1. STB-1, Obj. 263, Grille, M60, T57, AMX 50B

Premium$: Ke-Ni Otsu, Shinobi, T-35-85-Victory, SU-100Y, Tankenstein,SU-122-44, T34 Indy, IS-6, Type 62 Dragon, IS-3D, Löwe, Rudy, Nomad, Dracula, Hel$ing, Glacial, T54 Mod

"I gather speed, from you f*ckin' with me"

ahredstealth #15 Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:45 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

I'm fairly certain you could put florescent orange LED Lights on the Red tanks with blinking signs that say "Hit Here!" and half of my team still wouldn't move from spawn, let alone be able to put a shell into something remotely resembling an armored combat vehicle.

While I agree that it seems less then on the up and up, I'm not certain if this is being utilized by a large enough player base to effect me that greatly.  I also hope WG'ing will do something, but I'm not going to worry about it in the meantime until I start seeing it become more widespread.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

WriterDude #16 Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

• Players
  • 23053 battles

View PostGenericMIKE, on 04 September 2015 - 04:40 AM, said:

I learned the spots from like 4 years of plying PC

Yes, precisely. The fair and ethical way to play this is for someone to learn where to shoot. Otherwise, it turns into a shortcut, a cheat. Also, as someone else noted, I've been running into module damage a LOT more than usual - to the point where it seems I spend most of each game with an engine light. 

I've been thinking a lot about this ever since I watched a Bushka video where he had the cheat skins installed. Funny, he actually commented about the skins in the video (I don't have time to look up the video or the comment right now, but I can probably find it again). Considering how well-spoken he is about the game, and how garrulous he is in his videos, it stood out because he basically didn't know what to say about them. I'm paraphrasing my recollection, but he said something like, "Oh, and about these skins, they're just an experiment. Not sure about this, so don't pay attention to them." I think it's because he knows that they're a cheat.

Want to know the fastest way to lose your reputation as an elite tanker? Add an assistance mod. This isn't the same thing as turning down the video quality, or turning off grass in sniper mode. This is changing the game so that you have an advantage that others don't have. In Bushka's video, the module skins were also rendered with a flat military green that is darker than the standard skin. That means other tanks are more obvious against the battlefield for visual spotting, and could offer a framerate advantage in rendering

My second-tier concern is that iOS devices have to be jailbroken to install these mods. Security is generally pathetic on Android, but Apple's walled garden approach offers basic protection from exploits. Jailbreaking devices bypasses that protection so that malicious apps can be installed. So the exact people who are most likely to want this (people desperate for any advantage) are the worst audience, because they're less likely to prioritize device security.

Worse, mods - ANY mods - create a cold war environment where everyone assumes everyone else is using them, so there's a constant impulse to use them. And where's the limit? How about some clever programmer coming up with a targeting mod that automatically selects the module locations on these skins? 

I think Wargaming has a problem here. At the same time, I think the community has to take a stand for the integrity of the game, and agree not to use game modifications of any kind that aren't part of the delivered game package from Wargaming.

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

ahredstealth #17 Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:16 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostWriterDude, on 04 September 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

Security is generally pathetic on Android

I think the community has to take a stand for the integrity of the game, and agree not to use game modifications of any kind that aren't part of the delivered game package from Wargaming.

My phone may have viruses and be siphoning money to Algerian Princes, but at least I can change my battery if I want to.

I also don't believe it's on the community to pledge anything.  It's Wargaming's product that is being tampered with.  I think the responsibility is up to them to change it.  If someone wants to use it, and it isn't against the user agreement, and WG'ing isn't voicing an opinion, it is what it is.  I'm not advocating the use of hit skins, but at the same point in time I'm not ready to get my panties in a twist about them yet either.  I definitely don't need more pledges to sign, causes to support, or girl scout cookies to buy.

Do you guys honestly feel this turns a 48% player into a 73% player?  I'm honestly asking how big of an advantage do you think this is?  You still have to move, not over expose, aim the shot yourself, know the maps, etc etc.  I'm willing to admit that it will be a much larger help to an already excellent player, but how many purples are there running around that actually need this?  And I just don't see it turning a white into a purple.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

Minecraftexpert_25 #18 Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:49 PM

Not a Unicum

• Players
  • 31724 battles
  • [PRAMO]
All I know is that if I can average 3k in all my 10's without these skins then anyone else at my level or above should be able to do the same.

January 28, 2016- The day Alo8ight moved on in his life from WG and WoTB. You will be missed o7.

March 27, 2017- Dogface takes over as senior producer for WoTB. Fate of Senator_Ratbat unknown.

Block Quote

"The darker the purple, the darker the soul." - Ancient WG proverb. -CrimsonMG

Up up down left right down up left left down <-----my super MLG pro strats 420 no scope headshot hacks (no credit to ksftwe whatsoever)

Ksftwe #19 Posted 04 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25683 battles
  • [PRAMO]
Nah, this shouldn't be legal at all. WG will hit it with the ban hammer sooner or later, but perhaps at the moment they have more pressing matters to deal with.

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

WriterDude #20 Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:45 PM

• Players
  • 23053 battles

View Postahredstealth, on 04 September 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

I also don't believe it's on the community to pledge anything.  It's Wargaming's product that is being tampered with.  I think the responsibility is up to them to change it.  If someone wants to use it, and it isn't against the user agreement, and WG'ing isn't voicing an opinion, it is what it is.  I'm not advocating the use of hit skins, but at the same point in time I'm not ready to get my panties in a twist about them yet either.  I definitely don't need more pledges to sign, causes to support, or girl scout cookies to buy.

Do you guys honestly feel this turns a 48% player into a 73% player?  I'm honestly asking how big of an advantage do you think this is?  You still have to move, not over expose, aim the shot yourself, know the maps, etc etc.  I'm willing to admit that it will be a much larger help to an already excellent player, but how many purples are there running around that actually need this?  And I just don't see it turning a white into a purple.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Well, I wasn't calling for a pledge or anything more than general agreement, but you make a good point. I'd be very surprised if this was acceptable within the EULA. According to the EULA, paragraph 3.2 (I highlighted the relevant part in boldface): 

"You may not reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or otherwise use the Software, except as expressly set forth herein.  Except and solely to the extent such a restriction is impermissible under applicable law, you may not (a) decompile, reverse engineer, or otherwise access or attempt to access the source code for the Software, or make or attempt to make any modification to the Software or any portion thereof; or (b) interfere with or circumvent any feature of the Software or the Service, including without limitation any security, or access control mechanism, or use any automated scripts, tools, “bots” or otherwise exploit the system for the purpose of altering the game play or eliminating, reducing, or otherwise circumventing fees that would otherwise be payable, or attempt to do any of the foregoing.  The term Software, as used herein, includes any update or modification to the Software made available to you by Wargaming (unless provided with separate terms).  If you are prohibited under applicable law from using the Software or the Service, you may not use them."

You can read the whole thing here: http://wotblitz.com/en/content/docs/user_agreement/

And at the same time, you're exactly right. It's not going to make Joe Potato into Joe Unicorn. But how much would this help? 5%? 10%? Any edge someone gets from the hack makes it harder for me to achieve my goals in the game. It also changes the genuineness of achievement. We don't get upset when Beyonce plays recorded music at her concerts, because Beyonce. We don't get upset when Mrs. Fields' cookies aren't actually baked by Mrs. Fields, because cookies. I'm most concerned about other things. 

I hope it doesn't seem that I'm getting too far into the crazy church lady zone. I'm not demanding some kind of unrealistic pious uniformity within the community. I feel that mods change the balance that's built into the uniform experience that WG created. It's WG's problem to fix. The key would be discovering how widespread this is. Anecdotally, I have noticed an increasing number of damaged modules, although that's not the same thing as evidence of an issue.

You've seen the number of times that we joke about the old cheat codes on the forum - left, right, left, right, start button - that's funny because of the presumption that Blitz isn't subject to those kinds of cheats. When actual players are actually implementing various cheats, that changes the calculus.

Also tagged with Mods, hack, cheating

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users