What's up with that module target skin mod?

Mods hack cheating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

reluctanttheist #161 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 25821 battles
  • [III-H]

The cat is kind of out of the bag now.  So MSixteen, even if you don't really benefit from this, the hit skins are now firmly on the radar for everyone who reads these forums and sees your videos.  And those videos are certainly educational: everyone who sees those hitskins is going to say, I'm agonna git that fer myself, and now who knows how many users have downloaded the hitskins and added it to Blitz?  Certainly not the majority by any means, but it is akin to steroid use (moreso for less experienced users) for whoever employs them.  You may have thought you had public interest in mind, but I think it just widens public knowledge of these hitskins.  And Bushka had it on one of his videos too, so this really needs to be addressed by WG because I know how much it would help ME win more games (if only I used Android, ha).

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Corn_Pop #162 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:13 PM

I Blame Rocket

• Players
  • 17079 battles
  • [SCSC]

View Postdudermcgruder, on 11 September 2015 - 11:54 AM, said:

Did Cheez teach you how to post pics?  +1 Dud.

WriterDude #163 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:15 PM

My Posts Are Forum Prammo

• Players
  • 23053 battles

View PostMSixteen, on 11 September 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

i'm actually surprised that the mods haven't said anything on this thread or locked it down completely because of the blatant attacks on myself. i guess it's because i 1.) copy/pasted a conversation i had with Alo in which he gave me the go-ahead and 2.) i haven't reported any of the rude comments made by people like Viper.

This is an interesting observation. I don't see any attacks on you. Rather, I see quite a lot of discussion about game modifications, and people who are expressing opinions about them.

Or in other words, there's nothing personal here, except in the specific context that some opinions may agree with or differ from yours. To say it differently, if you say you "love" peanut butter, and someone else says they "hate" peanut butter, are they attacking you?

Objectively, some of your positions aren't consistent, and I don't understand why you don't see the inconsistency. That's okay - we all have blind spots, and it's not as though it makes you some kind of monster. However, that doesn't change the topic from game modifications to you, unless you happen to be advocating for game modifications.

Let's get back to the topic of modifications. Clearly there's a consensus that any game modifications represent an unfair advantage, a cheat. To respond to comments from others, TeamSpeak is not a game modification, so it's not a cheat. Clan membership is not a game modification, so it's not a cheat. Faster or slower devices, or faster or slower Internet connectivity, or close proximity to the game servers that reduce ping - all of those things influence the game, but are not game modifications, so they're not a cheat. 

Anyone who modifies the game does so deliberately. It's not as though someone woke up one morning, logged into the game, and said OMG, what are these mods? I don't care whether they modify the game because they're bored, or because of some specific reason, or because they're trying to gain some advantage. The fact of the modification is the cheat.

Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds were great hitters, great baseball players. Tons of home runs. And they took steroids, so there's an asterisk next to their stats. They don't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame, because they didn't do what they did with the same limitations that everyone else had. They cheated.

Here on the forums, we've talked about a dozen different things that affect stats (you've expressed derision about people who get very high WRs by playing at low tiers, for example). Some people want their WR in blue or purple at any cost. Others want to earn it the old fashioned way. In my opinion, unicorns like you, more than anyone, should be fundamentally opposed to modifications, because they make people question YOUR performance.

The way I see it, anyone who has installed mods has an asterisk hanging next to their stats. Worse, when WG expresses indifference to mods, they hang an asterisk next to EVERYONE's stats. It's not as though we upload a screenshot before each battle to prove we don't have a mod installed, if that was even possible. WG would need to address this programmatically. When anyone can cheat, who can prove that they don't cheat? 

As a forum community, we can at least have consensus that mods are unacceptable, and stop with the excuses and exceptions.

Worthy of focus fire by SPUDX.  Potato Cred Link

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

dudermcgruder #164 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:17 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 38304 battles
  • [III-X]

View PostRocket_NA, on 11 September 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

Did Cheez teach you how to post pics?  +1 Dud.

I learned how to do it all by myself :)

NICKEL_AND_DIME #165 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:24 PM

Insufficient Loyalty

• Players
  • 53331 battles
  • [III]

View PostMSixteen, on 11 September 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

you more or less kept a calm head about yourself during our argument. the person i was referring to when i said personal attacks was Viper. because he's not above starting personal attacks on people, apparently, and i did stoop down to his level. I am sorry if it splashed on to you when i lashed back.

Thanks, MSixteen. I took no offense, and I know these discussions can get a bit intense and I'm not always thoughtful to put fires out with water instead of gas.  I do hope to see you in-game, preferably on the green team. 

ahredstealth #166 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:28 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostNICKEL_AND_DIME, on 11 September 2015 - 11:34 AM, said:

Communication is not forbidden except when it comes to issues of profanity, threats, disclosing locations of friendly team members to the enemy, to name a few examples.  

Which raises another interesting question which has recently come up in my clan now that we are playing around with TeamSpeak...  When you end up on opposite sides in a count-in, do you bail out of TeamSpeak?  Do you go into separate rooms before the game starts with just your platoon mate?  Because otherwise it would be pretty easy to slip out where you/other members of your team are(is)...

That would be against the rules per your own definition, and I'm wondering how you handle it.  I can't flip out of the game and manipulate my TeamSpeak and then get back in the game fast enough... but luckily I've never been on the opposite side while using TeamSpeak so far, but I'm 100% certain it will happen in the future.

View Postreluctanttheist, on 11 September 2015 - 12:11 PM, said:

everyone who sees those hitskins is going to say, I'm agonna git that fer myself

I hate to try and pass myself off as a pure and innocent snow flake here, but I saw them and didn't feel the need to download them.  I like my camo and lightning bolt on my Victory.  I'm not gonna cover that up.  I wouldn't mind if the KV-3 skin didn't already have rust on it...

View PostWriterDude, on 11 September 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

I don't see any attacks on you(M16).

For cereal?

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

reluctanttheist #167 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:30 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 25821 battles
  • [III-H]

View Postahredstealth, on 11 September 2015 - 10:28 AM, said:

I hate to try and pass myself off as a pure and innocent snow flake here, but I saw them and didn't feel the need to download them.  I like my camo and lightning bolt on my Victory.  I'm not gonna cover that up.  I wouldn't mind if the KV-3 skin didn't already have rust on it...

Stalin's armor don't need no paint :B

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Rev_ianc_bell #168 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28908 battles
  • [PRD]

There has to be an alternate fix. Preventing the game from playing on rooted or jailbroken devices would make me very upset but surely they can have some kind of server-side script that can verify the relevant section of code in the client. I would wait an extra ten seconds of loading time or whatever if it eliminated this cheat.

PDR considers these types of mods to be cheating and will not tolerate their use by clan members. 

Commandant of Predator Corps [PRD] (formerly  [PDR-R])

Check out my youtube channel

My profile at wotbstars, wblitz.net  and blitzstars

PRD/PDR-R Website: http://www.predatorswotbclan.org or visit our recruitment thread or our discussion thread RED IN TOOTH AND CLAW 

WriterDude #169 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:40 PM

• Players
  • 23053 battles

View Postahredstealth, on 11 September 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

For cereal?

Yup. An attack on him would be some kind of statement that he's inherently flawed, irretrievably ruined, or an evil person. Instead, at least from what I've read, people are calling [edited]on the "I just do it for my viewers" claim, disagreeing with his stated opinions, and trying to help him understand the consequences of his thinking.  

It's important to understand the difference between disagreeing with an idea and disagreeing with the man who airs it. If we drag an ego attachment into every one of these discussions, they'll always get heated and personal.

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

WriterDude #170 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:42 PM

• Players
  • 23053 battles

View Postahredstealth, on 11 September 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

Which raises another interesting question which has recently come up in my clan now that we are playing around with TeamSpeak...  When you end up on opposite sides in a count-in, do you bail out of TeamSpeak?  Do you go into separate rooms before the game starts with just your platoon mate?  Because otherwise it would be pretty easy to slip out where you/other members of your team are(is)...

That would be against the rules per your own definition, and I'm wondering how you handle it.  I can't flip out of the game and manipulate my TeamSpeak and then get back in the game fast enough... but luckily I've never been on the opposite side while using TeamSpeak so far, but I'm 100% certain it will happen in the future.

Oh, and this too - we're practicing this exact thing.

MSixteen #171 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:43 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18538 battles
  • [_V_]

You guys do realize that preventing the game from being ran on jail broken/rooted devices will make it so nobody can make videos anymore, right?

And for WriterDude: apparently calling somebody a liar and a cheat isn't insulting. Go back and read Viper's comments

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

ahredstealth #172 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 11 September 2015 - 12:30 PM, said:

Stalin's armor don't need no paint :B

Keep letting it go, and it'll need bondo though...

TAG_PushRod #173 Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17066 battles
  • [III-S]
My own feelings on these skins are pretty much black and white. You've modified the game (a clear violation of the EULA), it changes gameplay beyond what the designer intended (for better or worse or no effect), therefore it is a cheat/hack. Period.

reluctanttheist #174 Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:00 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 25821 battles
  • [III-H]

View Postahredstealth, on 11 September 2015 - 10:44 AM, said:

Keep letting it go, and it'll need bondo though...

Bounced shells accumulate new metal, armor gets polished every game

View PostMSixteen, on 11 September 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

You guys do realize that preventing the game from being ran on jail broken/rooted devices will make it so nobody can make videos anymore, right?

Not at all.  Both Android and iOS can stream games to a PC for recording purposes without jailbreaks or mods

MSixteen #175 Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:09 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18538 battles
  • [_V_]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 11 September 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

Not at all.  Both Android and iOS can stream games to a PC for recording purposes without jailbreaks or mods

my laptop is crap, and i don't have a Mac so i would have to buy a several hundred dollar editing software that i would still need to learn how to use. not to mention probably having to buy the actual software that allowed you to mirror the screen onto your laptop and record it at the same time.

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

ahredstealth #176 Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:42 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 11 September 2015 - 01:00 PM, said:

So that's what I'm doing wrong in my KV-3.  I'm suppose to bounce shells, not just catch them with my teeth?  Huh.

Also, how do you polish rust?

View PostWriterDude, on 11 September 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

Oh, and this too - we're practicing this exact thing.

I don't understand your answer to this question at all.

You're practicing being on TeamSpeak?  You're practicing bailing on different channels?  You're practicing backing out of it all together?  You're practicing not saying anything about location?  Maybe practicing Radio Silence?

C'mon self proclaimed WriterDude.  You can do better.  I've got a high level of expectation on you, so live up to it.

BR1XT0N #177 Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11164 battles
  • [CMPNY]
I think people would get a lot more accomplished by submitting tickets to WG questioning their policy on 3rd party add ons than they will by personally attacking M16s character. I don't see the point in calling him names like cheater beyond personal gratification. I'd like to remind everyone that according to the conversation Alo had with M16, he wasn't cheating. Your anger and frustration would be more usefully directed at the cause of the disease, rather than at its symptoms.

Edited by BR1XT0N, 11 September 2015 - 07:44 PM.

"Come and take your medicine."

Recruiting: HERE Stats: BR1XT0N Tank Videos: HERE

Proud Member of the

//©// COMPANY \\©\\

WriterDude #178 Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:48 PM

• Players
  • 23053 battles

View Postahredstealth, on 11 September 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

I don't understand your answer to this question at all.

You're practicing being on TeamSpeak?  You're practicing bailing on different channels?  You're practicing backing out of it all together?  You're practicing not saying anything about location?  Maybe practicing Radio Silence?

C'mon self proclaimed WriterDude.  You can do better.  I've got a high level of expectation on you, so live up to it.

It was carefully designed to test your ability to think outside the box, of course. :-)

We're practicing comms discipline and room movement. 

furicle #179 Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:59 PM

Tuber or not tuber...

• Players
  • 48968 battles
  • [SPUDX]

View PostWriterDude, on 11 September 2015 - 02:48 PM, said:

Discipline?  What's that?   :-)

We were having a grand time last night trying to 'accidentally' mislead the SPUDs on red last night.  Generally speaking they don't seem to be buying :-)

There are separate rooms you can swap to fairly quickly, but it's almost more fun if you don't - one more angle to think about while playing.

_______  __  _____      
  / __/ _ \/ / / / _ \
 _\ \/ ___/ /_/ / // /
/___/_/   \____/____/

Prammo comes naturally to a golden russet...

ahredstealth #180 Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostWriterDude, on 11 September 2015 - 01:48 PM, said:

It was carefully designed to test your ability to think outside the box, of course. :-)

I will quite un-apologetically throw a potato at you.  You've been warned.  I've got a whole pile of them.

View Postfuricle, on 11 September 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

Discipline?  What's that?   :-)

We were having a grand time last night trying to 'accidentally' mislead the SPUDs on red last night.  Generally speaking they don't seem to be buying :-)

There are separate rooms you can swap to fairly quickly, but it's almost more fun if you don't - one more angle to think about while playing.

Ha ha ha.  "I'm in the cap circle!  Don't you see the count down?"  "All bridge!  All bridge!"  "BRB, Flanking Swamp!"  Quality.

Edited by ahredstealth, 11 September 2015 - 08:18 PM.

Also tagged with Mods, hack, cheating

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users