What's up with that module target skin mod?

Mods hack cheating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

Rev_ianc_bell #221 Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28908 battles
  • [PRD]

View PostShawk_91, on 12 September 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

The law doesn't matter if it isn't enforced.

well at the very least clans with any kind of concern for ethical conduct will enforce or discourage it within their own ranks.

Commandant of Predator Corps [PRD] (formerly  [PDR-R])

Check out my youtube channel

My profile at wotbstars, wblitz.net  and blitzstars

PRD/PDR-R Website: http://www.predatorswotbclan.org or visit our recruitment thread or our discussion thread RED IN TOOTH AND CLAW 

mjm68 #222 Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:39 PM

M.C.R.D grad class of '86

• Players
  • 28203 battles
  • [III-S]

You guys do realize that preventing the game from being ran on jail broken/rooted devices will make it so nobody can make videos anymore, right?

This is would be incorrect shoutv still works on non jail broken devices. Reflector works on PC and work through AirPlay to mirror it on your PC. Macs you just plug your device into them and record. 

Having these altered files for your device  is not honorable and if you don't need them period. Look up tank strategies on this site and learn game like everyone else.  This rash of crap has caused a cancer in game everyone is calling people Hackers, when they kill them in good play which I don't care. I have also had games that I have crew members killed 3 times even being in a good position and wiggling around, makes you wonder. 

http://www.worldofta...nk_analyzer.cgi

Semper Fidelis

sed etiam periculosum veteres

Manwolf100 #223 Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:29 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5811 battles
  • [III-Z]

This discussion has been interesting to watch. The fact that WG hasn't come in and stated definitively that using Mods is illegal is disappointing. So right now, based on the only info we have received, using a Mod like that is not a violation of any rules. I, like 99% of the people on this thread DO believe it provides an advantage.....of some sort. I've seen some logic for how it "should not", or "might not".....but it does. Guys I truly respect have said it may not be that big of a deal.

Msixteen, I actually suspect you don't use it to play better. I hope not. I would have respected you coming back and saying "guys I see everyone's point, and going forward I'm going to state in my video's my disapproval of the use of these skins". It's ok to recognize a mistake and admit a need to change. 

I didn't know anything about these until recently. I ignore accusations of hacking and cheating in game because you see that garbage in every game. People lose and assume a hack. Because they suck. But now.....there is a legitimate claim to someone being able to gain an advantage. And I hate that for the game. And I wish WG would man up and state their position on it. 

-Community Pledge Signer-

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while

defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

Sun Tzu

dorian666gray #224 Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:33 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 18125 battles
  • [EVUL]

Cheating is a very lame thing to do. Cheating at sports gets your butt kicked. Cheating at video games however gets you heralded as an exemplary player. 

Some of you nerds need to get out of your Mammaw's basement, stop cheating on video games, and start playing sports. Try cheating. See what happens to you when you're not hiding behind total anonymity. 

Edited by dorian666gray, 14 September 2015 - 02:43 AM.

ahredstealth #225 Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:02 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostWriterDude, on 11 September 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

If you called me a liar, you'd just be wrong. There's a difference.

Edited to add screenshot. :-)

Spoiler

Oh you know I love you.  I'm just messing with you because this is actually a fun thread.  At least I think it is.

View PostRev_ianc_bell, on 12 September 2015 - 09:58 AM, said:

3.2    You may not reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or otherwise use the Software, except as expressly set forth herein.  Except and solely to the extent such a restriction is impermissible under applicable law, you may not (a) decompile, reverse engineer, or otherwise access or attempt to access the source code for the Software, or make or attempt to make any modification to the Software or any portion thereof; or (b) interfere with or circumvent any feature of the Software or the Service, including without limitation any security, or access control mechanism, or use any automated scripts, tools, “bots” or otherwise exploit the system for the purpose of altering the game play oreliminating, reducing, or otherwise circumventing fees that would otherwise be payable, or attempt to do any of the foregoing.  The term Software, as used herein, includes any update or modification to the Software made available to you by Wargaming (unless provided with separate terms).  If you are prohibited under applicable law from using the Software or the Service, you may not use them.

So do we ban people that use camo skin mods and also change the spotting warning symbol or the targeting reticle?  They also modded the files.

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

Parrott_Cannon #226 Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:43 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 48416 battles
  • [DEF_V]

View Postahredstealth, on 14 September 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

Oh you know I love you.  I'm just messing with you because this is actually a fun thread.  At least I think it is.

So do we ban people that use camo skin mods and also change the spotting warning symbol or the targeting reticle?  They also modded the files.

My intial thoughts are although this sounds rather ambigious, well it just is. It pretty much allows them to make them any decision yay or nay in these cases. And probably never knowing from which country, state, regional, or international law they were referring too. They pretty much will have a final say in all cases. 

Except and solely to the extent such a restriction is impermissible under applicable law,"

CptCheez #227 Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:49 PM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

• Players
  • 15398 battles

View PostKanuuan, on 14 September 2015 - 03:43 PM, said:

My intial thoughts are although this sounds rather ambigious, well it just is. It pretty much allows them to make them any decision yay or nay in these cases. And probably never knowing from which country, state, regional, or international law they were referring too. They pretty much will have a final say in all cases. 

Except and solely to the extent such a restriction is impermissible under applicable law,"

The EULA states which applicable law.  It's Cyprus, where WG HQ is located.

12. GOVERNING (APPLICABLE) LAW AND JURISDICTION

12.1 This EULA and any dispute, claim or obligation (whether contractual or non-contractual) arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter or formation shall be governed by the laws of Cyprus, unless otherwise required by the law of the country where the user has his habitual residence.

"When the going gets tough and the stomach acids flow, 
The cold wind of conformity is nipping at your nose.
When some trendy new atrocity has brought you to your knees
Come with us we'll sail the Seas of Cheese."

Praeceladon #228 Posted 14 September 2015 - 07:55 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19234 battles
Are camo mods illegal? Like adding stripes to my tank and making it dark green instead of vomit yellow tinted gray

Parrott_Cannon #229 Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 48416 battles
  • [DEF_V]

View PostCptCheez, on 14 September 2015 - 03:49 PM, said:

The EULA states which applicable law.  It's Cyprus, where WG HQ is located.

12. GOVERNING (APPLICABLE) LAW AND JURISDICTION

12.1 This EULA and any dispute, claim or obligation (whether contractual or non-contractual) arising out of or in connection with it or its subject matter or formation shall be governed by the laws of Cyprus, unless otherwise required by the law of the country where the user has his habitual residence.

You know, I never paid attention to the Cyprus HQ location. That in itself is interesting, I'll talk to my wife about them tonight. She'll have better info than me on that. I did notice this however, still room for stipulation.

unless otherwise required by the law of the country where the user has his habitual residence.

edit: So I looked it up, it's located in Nicosia, northern region of Cyprus. Good ol Turkish controlled, unrecognized area. I gotta say, I was a little surprised and well.... Not. 

Edited by Kanuuan, 14 September 2015 - 09:33 PM.

ahredstealth #230 Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:08 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostKanuuan, on 14 September 2015 - 01:43 PM, said:

I have no idea why you quoted me here.  Final say in what cases?  banning people for other mods?  Well of course they do.  They have the final say in hit skin mods too.

I was asking if other mods should be banned as well because they also modded the game, which is against the rules, and the rules are in the user agreement, which you agree to when you play the game, which you do from where ever you are.

So, I'm not certain what you are trying to tell me?  You feel it should be a case by case basis unless you're in California, where all tanks should be required to run extra emissions equipment?

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

Parrott_Cannon #231 Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:25 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 48416 battles
  • [DEF_V]
I'm explaining it's more than likely going to be a case, on case basis. It's ENTIRELY up to them. If in doubt, it's probably best not to alter any files at all. 

MSixteen #232 Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:38 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18556 battles
  • [_V_]

View Postmjm68, on 13 September 2015 - 03:39 PM, said:

You guys do realize that preventing the game from being ran on jail broken/rooted devices will make it so nobody can make videos anymore, right?

This is would be incorrect 1.)shoutv still works on non jail broken devices. 2.) Reflector works on PC and work through AirPlay to mirror it on your PC. 3.)Macs you just plug your device into them and record. 

4.)Having these altered files for your device  is not honorable and if you don't need them period. Look up tank strategies on this site and learn game like everyone else.  5.)This rash of crap has caused a cancer in game everyone is calling people Hackers, when they kill them in good play which I don't care. 6.) I have also had games that I have crew members killed 3 times even being in a good position and wiggling around, makes you wonder. 

7.) http://www.worldofta...nk_analyzer.cgi

1.) Shou.TV is crap. I used to use it to record, but it kept crashing and would lose videos

2.) You have to pay for reflector

3.) I don't have a mac. i have an OLD laptop

4.) You're right. i don't need them. i use them to help my viewers. so when i'm about to record i install the mods for however long i'm recording so it helps people learn where they are

5.) people would call you a hacker long before any mods of ANY type would have been available. i've been called a hacker since the game called out at least once or twice a week because i make a seemingly impossible shot through a crack between buildings, or through a pipe or something.

6.) many tank's weak spots/ center of mass are where modules/crew reside. it's not uncommon. just deal with it.

7.) i use the skins when i'm recording so i don't have to spend so much extra time finding the pictures and putting them on my phone, then taking the extra space that i already have very little of.

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

MSixteen #233 Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:42 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18556 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostManwolf100, on 13 September 2015 - 08:29 PM, said:

This discussion has been interesting to watch. The fact that WG hasn't come in and stated definitively that using Mods is illegal is disappointing. So right now, based on the only info we have received, using a Mod like that is not a violation of any rules. I, like 99% of the people on this thread DO believe it provides an advantage.....of some sort. I've seen some logic for how it "should not", or "might not".....but it does. Guys I truly respect have said it may not be that big of a deal.

Msixteen, I actually suspect you don't use it to play better. I hope not. I would have respected you coming back and saying "guys I see everyone's point, and going forward I'm going to state in my video's my disapproval of the use of these skins". It's ok to recognize a mistake and admit a need to change. 

I didn't know anything about these until recently. I ignore accusations of hacking and cheating in game because you see that garbage in every game. People lose and assume a hack. Because they suck. But now.....there is a legitimate claim to someone being able to gain an advantage. And I hate that for the game. And I wish WG would man up and state their position on it. 

Does it give an advantage when i have them installed for recording? of course. but my play style/knowledge/skill level makes the advantage negligible. not once have i adjusted aim to hit a module. the only time it even looks suspicious is when i readjusted aim to the center mass of the side of a JPanther, which just happened to be around where his ammo rack is located.

In my first couple videos i did say that they were pretty shady, but i also said in those videos that it doesn't change how i aim or play and that it was purely used to help teach my viewers.

if WG had an official position on the matter, then this thread wouldn't be 12 pages long, and i'd either happily go on with the mods installed for my videos, or i'd happily go on without the mods and keep making videos.

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

67328 #234 Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:50 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 10635 battles
  • [S3MC]

View PostWriterDude, on 04 September 2015 - 05:21 AM, said:

That has to help with targeting, and provides an unfair advantage to anyone who uses it. Also, because it is only available if you jailbreak an iOS device, it is not available to all players equally. I'm surprised that WG allows that type of game modification, and I start wondering what other modifications are out there. I normally scoff at the idea of hackers, but this is troublesome.

You can actually get it on Android too.

Stats(WotBStars)     Tier 10: Jg.Pz. E 100, M48 Patton, Leopard 1, FV4202     Stats(Blitzstars)

Tanks in Garage: Tier 9: Conqueror--Tier 8: T-44, Panther II, ISU-152

Premiums: Type 59, T34, Lӧwe, IS-6, KV-5, Type 62, Panther M/10, AT 15A, Tankenstein, Excelsior, Pz. V/IV, Pz. IV Anko SP, AC 1 Sentinel, M3 Light, T7 Combat Car T2 Light, Tetrarch

Ksftwe #235 Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25710 battles
  • [PRAMO]
Okay I don't endorse these module mods or anything remotely cheat-worthy, but, does it really matter if MSixteen of all people use it; the guy's got a 70% win rate and I'm pretty sure he can wreck noobs with or without them. I'm not saying "make a special exception for him becuz he's good and he's my clan mate #favoritism" but why make such a big deal about it? I don't think we need 100,000 more people chiming in about how this is so ethically wrong and there's no honor in doing so yada yada.

[SCAMO] > [PRAMO]

reluctanttheist #236 Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:51 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 25895 battles
  • [III-H]

Msixteen, how do you record?  Sounds like you're on iOS for playing Blitz and Windows for your laptop.  Does the Cydia/jailbroken world provide a means of recording via USB cable?

Funny thing about your recordings: most of your viewers are from this forum.  Most of those who are in this forum use Armor Inspector, and thus also have knowledge where modules are.  Is there really much educational value in putting the module skins on for your videos?  I know I'd love to ammorack tanks more often than I do - so even knowing where they are on enemy tanks leads to precious few 1-shot-kills because I rarely drive tanks with big enough guns to damage ammoracks that thoroughly.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

MSixteen #237 Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:00 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18556 battles
  • [_V_]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 14 September 2015 - 03:51 PM, said:

1.)Msixteen, how do you record?  Sounds like you're on iOS for playing Blitz and Windows for your laptop.  Does the Cydia/jailbroken world provide a means of recording via USB cable?

2.)Funny thing about your recordings: most of your viewers are from this forum.  Most of those who are in this forum use Armor Inspector, and thus also have knowledge where modules are.  Is there really much educational value in putting the module skins on for your videos?  I know I'd love to ammorack tanks more often than I do - so even knowing where they are on enemy tanks leads to precious few 1-shot-kills because I rarely drive tanks with big enough guns to damage ammoracks that thoroughly.

1.) I use "Display Recorder" nowadays to record my videos. Shou.TV, none-jailbroken and jailbroken, is trash. I don't think you can record with a USB cable, and I don't think my laptop would even be able to handle it.

2.) You make a good point. I don't actually know how many of my subscribers are forumers. I also don't know how many forumers use Armor Inspector. Another thing is I always have more views than I do subscribers, of which I also have no clue who are and aren't forumers, and if they use Armor Inspector or not. My first FV215b (183) video has over 800 views the last time I checked, while I have 107 subscribers. And most of the people that comment on my videos (of the 2-3 that usually do) aren't forumers, or at least I've never seen them here.

If I had data that shows that everybody that watches my videos also uses Armor Inspector, and/or are forumers, there would be less need for the mods while i'm recording. Although just because you're a forumer doesn't mean you're good at this game by any means, and have nothing to learn. Also just because you're a forumer doesn't mean that you use Armor Inspector. I rarely do, and when I do it's to get effective thicknesses of armor and trying to figure out the best way to angle a tank for when I wrote a review.

WriterDude #238 Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:14 PM

My Posts Are Forum Prammo

• Players
  • 23053 battles

View Postahredstealth, on 14 September 2015 - 08:02 AM, said:

LOL! Gotta say, the conversation has certainly been more thought-provoking than most. :-)

Yeah, I actually see mods as a strange thing. Someone downloads a mod to change their game experience. I mean, unless someone is so OP that they can play the game without looking at it. However, Joe Snuffy's mods don't change my experience at all - they provide a completely isolated benefit to the person who installs the mod.

I think I remember one of the Quake-engine FPS games where you could put on a skin, and the other team would see that skin instead of a super trooper guy. One of my buddies at work used to use a skeleton skin, because it was impossibly narrow and hard to target. Another would use an Eric Cartman skin, because it was really short. Everybody used to grouse endlessly about people choosing those skins, so we gave all of the same skins to everyone - nothing quite like a game with 10 skeleton guys packing rocket launchers. Back when I played WoW, we had any number of different dashboards that we could use to organize our stuff for easy access, but that was because Blizzard designed the game for that kind of modification. 

I don't care whether they punish the modders, but I think for the integrity of the game, WG should put a stop to mods.

Worthy of focus fire by SPUDX.  Potato Cred Link

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

Manwolf100 #239 Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:16 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 5811 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostMSixteen, on 14 September 2015 - 04:42 PM, said:

Does it give an advantage when i have them installed for recording? of course. but my play style/knowledge/skill level makes the advantage negligible. not once have i adjusted aim to hit a module. the only time it even looks suspicious is when i readjusted aim to the center mass of the side of a JPanther, which just happened to be around where his ammo rack is located.

In my first couple videos i did say that they were pretty shady, but i also said in those videos that it doesn't change how i aim or play and that it was purely used to help teach my viewers.

if WG had an official position on the matter, then this thread wouldn't be 12 pages long, and i'd either happily go on with the mods installed for my videos, or i'd happily go on without the mods and keep making videos.

I agree with you. I suspect they will have a position soon. I'm glad you recognize they are shady. Why not just dump em? Take the lead on that. That's what I don't understand. Why argue symantics on something you probably agree should not be used?

And Ive watched some of your videos. Thanks for doing them.

-Community Pledge Signer-

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while

defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."

Sun Tzu

reluctanttheist #240 Posted 14 September 2015 - 10:17 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 25895 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostMSixteen, on 14 September 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

1.) I use "Display Recorder" nowadays to record my videos. Shou.TV, none-jailbroken and jailbroken, is trash. I don't think you can record with a USB cable, and I don't think my laptop would even be able to handle it.

I've found that recording on my device takes a bit of a toll on game performance.  Reflector not so much - and you're recording everything onto a big hard drive, and makes editing way easier.  Display Recorder is $5, no?

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

Also tagged with Mods, hack, cheating

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users