What's up with that module target skin mod?

Mods hack cheating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

reluctanttheist #301 Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:18 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 25821 battles
  • [III-H]

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 16 September 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

+1 to you... I see what you did there!

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

ahredstealth #302 Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:30 PM

King Tater

• Players
  • 19022 battles
  • [SPUD]

View PostOokla_the_Mok, on 16 September 2015 - 10:16 AM, said:

It's an example of recursion ;)

In fact, do a search on Google for recursion.  Google responds, Did you mean: recursion

You gotta love meta humour!

I like you.  You're a funny Mok

Today I went to the bathroom and forgot my phone.

There are 256 tiles in the bathroom...

SGM_zorbaz #303 Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

Executive Officer & CWNA Council

• Players
  • 25438 battles
  • [SRT]

View Postosxuser93, on 07 September 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

Two thoughts:

First: As Str8upJack already pointed out, a mod like this makes it distinctly unpleasant to play, because when I get modules damaged again and again, I will wonder "was that guy using a hack, or was I playing badly?" And when a 45% WR player wins epically, I will wonder "was that a fair win and he's getting better, or was he just a cheater?" 

Second: From a technical standpoint, my strong suspicion is that a mod like this works by accessing the game's hit skin files. Normally this type of access would be disabled by iOS's app permissions, but jailbreaking can bypass those. It may be too late now (someone has undoubtedly made copies of these files already), but it seems like WG could use some sort of encryption/permissioning system to protect these files and ensure that they were only readable by the game. Perhaps encrypt the hit skin files, and then embed the decryption key into the game's compiled binary so that it wouldn't be easily extractable by hackers. (This is just educated guessing, because although I'm a computer scientist and have done some iOS development, I haven't actually tried anything like this.)

I personally have looked at the skin files for the vanilla game, they are literally a steel gray page for the germans, brown for the americans and that famous russian color... The camo mod, is basically like taking a can of spray paint to that gray landscape. 

"Show me a man with grit, skill and zeal, who fears and overcomes fears, and I will show you a Spartan." 

SGM_zorbaz[SRT]Officer, μολὼν λαβέ

tlouie #304 Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]

View PostSGM_zorbaz, on 16 September 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

I personally have looked at the skin files for the vanilla game, they are literally a steel gray page for the germans, brown for the americans and that famous russian color... The camo mod, is basically like taking a can of spray paint to that gray landscape. 

Yes, there is zero performance difference in game,  as the game is merely wrapping the tank object with the new modded hitskin textures instead of the original textures. 

I would be happy if WG made it a togglable in game feature. 

BoomMfer #305 Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

This space for rent

• Players
  • 63374 battles
This is the thread that keeps on giving!:popcorn:

Lokeen #306 Posted 16 September 2015 - 04:57 PM

General P. McDangles

• Club Wargaming
  • 38513 battles
  • [CYCLN]

:facepalm:View PostMSixteen, on 16 September 2015 - 09:43 AM, said:

actually talking to a clan mate of yours about the very thing, so shut up and let us get on with it.

You need one of my clan brothers to teach you how to NOT install a game mod? Wow. 

TAG_PushRod #307 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17066 battles
  • [III-S]

View Post_Irregular_Apocalypse_, on 15 September 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

I will sit here in my 1920's club chair

Hey!  I like my club chair.  Does someone have a problem with them?

Hmmm, why is there a big picture of a bullet on the back of it now?

Samurai_Chicken #308 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 43254 battles
  • [SRT_]

View PostDrFerd, on 16 September 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

This is THE most brilliant post ever in the history of WOTB.  Well done.  :great:

BRUENHILLDE #309 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:25 PM

I HATE CHEESE

• Players
  • 15212 battles
  • [US1]

View PostZuluRavenShadow, on 16 September 2015 - 11:18 AM, said

Bottom line is cheating is cheating, i wont accuse you of cheating however, the impression is that if you are using these for training purposes, everyone will naturally believe you are using them in game play.  If you are not, that would be awesome however your reputation and hard work will be tarnished by the fact players will think your cheating even if you are not.

If you are, then I hope you will stop and understand that wining at all costs is a hollow victory.  Having a great WR based on your actual skill and hard work is far more fulfilling in games and in life!

I have battled you many times in game and my impression was that you were very good however, already a shadow is cast over your play now that I know you have this mod.

hope you make the right choice and I'll see you in Game, take care!

Let's not go there triarii. There is no one more stand up in this place then Rocket. His character and reputation will never be tarnished by a triarii dogpile. You guys don't have the stones. Just trust me on that. 

Edited by BRUENHILLDE, 16 September 2015 - 05:25 PM.

Winner of the coveted most admired Blitz forumer award for 2018!  In addition to the 2014,15,16,17 awards.

Over 13,000 profile views. Better than 99.99% of forum users. And more than all of club war gaming members combined. And I've never even started a thread or made a video. By the way everyone hates the rules quoting guy. 

Proud member of US-1 ALL AMERICANS! Americans only. To apply here check out our feeder clans Triari and Prammo first. If you are from north or south of the border do not bother applying. You are not welcome here. Thanks. 

NICKEL_AND_DIME #310 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:31 PM

Insufficient Loyalty

• Players
  • 53331 battles
  • [III]

So, this thread begins with conversation about hit skins.  Along the way, there have been a few stray shots slightly off-topic, and now we are on the subject of bullying, but I think it ties in.

When I was a kid in school, yes- bullies existed.  But at the time, we did not have laws against the practice, so if anything the problem could be considered worse, although that is subjective and will vary based on who you ask.  In those dark pre-revisionist-historic times it was one's personal responsibility to stand up to the bully and not be defeated by him.  We didn't expect others to do this for us, as that defeated the purpose and made us look that much weaker, leading to even more bullying.  It was a rite of passage, one of those moments of transformation from boyhood to manhood.  And many of us found that once we did not yield to the bully, we sometimes even became friends with them.  But that was then, and today the situation is a bit different.  We had to deal with the issues face-to-face, as there was not an internet.  Pen-pals didn't bully, and those were the closest thing we had to the internet and e-mails and online forums at the time.

Back then, bullies were often prone to be harsh and abusive to those showing some visible sign of weakness.  The kid with glasses might have his glasses knocked off, or the kid with a bandage might have that injured area poked in a painful manner.  You know, it is kind of like what the hit skins do in the game - since they visually display where the weaknesses are in a clear "hit here" display.  So, one could presumably consider the use of hit skins to be a form of bullying as well, although personally I still consider it as cheating primarily. 

Now as to what WG considers it, we continue to wait on the verdict.  But I will have a look at some YouTube Blitz videos while I wait. 

TAG_PushRod #311 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 17066 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostRocket_NA, on 16 September 2015 - 02:32 PM, said:

It's ok to violate the EULA , as long as it suits an agenda.

Huh, I find this to be an issue amongst the "me" generations of today.  "Its ok to break the rules, as long as its for a reason".   So it starts with a meaningless video game, something that is, really, in the grand scheme of things, totally unimportant.  So what happens when faced with a decision that is truly important?  "Its ok, I can break the rules this time, its for a good reason".

I realize this dates me, but honour and integrity still mean something to me.  Its not something that you can skirt around whenever its convenient.  Sometimes being honourable costs you something, that's the very nature of it.

gosenbach #312 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 3957 battles
  • [III-X]

View PostBRUENHILLDE, on 16 September 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

Let's not go there triarii. There is no one more stand up in this place then Rocket. His character and reputation will never be tarnished by a triarii dogpile. You guys don't have the stones. Just trust me on that. 

Bruenhillde,I believe Zulu's comments that you quoted were directed towards M16, who is know to have used hit skins. Not at Rocket. I was not going to comment on this thread any longer but I thought I would try to clear that up.

Edited by gosenbach, 16 September 2015 - 06:14 PM.

conjay810 #313 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:42 PM

Meme Machine

• Players
  • 19423 battles
  • [TITAN]
I believe the overall consensus, based on M16's total lack of up votes except by rocket who himself has none, while everything else has tremendous amounts of up votes is that this mod should be banned along with all other mods, M16s use of the mod, although not actually that beneficial is still cheating and good players should set a example, no?

Best Tier 8 Tank Rankings - Best Tier 9 Tank Rankings - I disagree with a lot of my own assessments now

E100(complete)-JPZE100(complete)-E50M- GUIDE (complete)-T110E5(complete)-M48 Patton(Complete)-T-62A/OBJ140 (T-62A purchased)-IS-7 (complete)-Leopard 1 (Complete)-IS-4 (KV-4 complete)-T110E4 (T30 complete)-T110E3 (T25 AT complete)-B-C 25t (B-C 25t complete)

Premiums: IS-3 Defender, Glacial 112, T-44-100, T-54 Mod. 1, Type 62, T23E3, Helsing HO, M6A2E1, Cromwell B, SU-100Y, Shinobi

Lokeen #314 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:46 PM

General P. McDangles

• Club Wargaming
  • 38513 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostBRUENHILLDE, on 16 September 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

Triarii dogpile??? Dude everything you post is garbage. Do the world a favour and drop off the grid. 

Goat_Rodeo #315 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11954 battles
  • [III-X]

View PostBRUENHILLDE, on 16 September 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

Well I see our little "Ball O' Sunshine " is at it again....Grand theft thread time....

goat_rodeo_leo_eng.jpeg

VICTIM OF THE GREAT 3.H8 BELARUSIAN THROW OF 2017. 

#NOTMYUPDATE 

BRUENHILLDE #316 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:50 PM

I HATE CHEESE

• Players
  • 15212 battles
  • [US1]

View PostLokeen, on 16 September 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Triarii dogpile??? Dude everything you post is garbage. Do the world a favour and drop off the grid. 

Best you can do to the likes of me triarii? Might want to try that one again. You been dog piling on this from the beginning. It's obviously gone beyond the outrage of cheating and now you guys are making it personal. I stand by my statement. No one and I mean no one is more stand up here than Rocket. 

Winner of the coveted most admired Blitz forumer award for 2018!  In addition to the 2014,15,16,17 awards.

Over 13,000 profile views. Better than 99.99% of forum users. And more than all of club war gaming members combined. And I've never even started a thread or made a video. By the way everyone hates the rules quoting guy. 

Proud member of US-1 ALL AMERICANS! Americans only. To apply here check out our feeder clans Triari and Prammo first. If you are from north or south of the border do not bother applying. You are not welcome here. Thanks. 

reluctanttheist #317 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:54 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 25821 battles
  • [III-H]

I get why M16 thought it would be a good idea to put the hit skins in his videos - 'Hey, let's show people where modules are'.  It does add more value to gameplay videos if people see and remember where those modules are.  And yes, it's easier than going thru Armor Inspector to learn where those modules are.  M16 has already paid that price - many of us have - in learning where at least some modules are on some tanks.

I'm sure he had no idea of the controversy that it's generated.  But in the end - it will be for the good of the game.  Grey areas always come up in life, and getting this resolved is to everyone's benefit.  

Speaking for myself, I know when I target an enemy ammo rack it's pretty rare that I get catastrophic detonation of the ammo rack.  Heck, maybe 1 in 10 shots aimed at ammo racks actually damage the module.  It's still good to target modules because the chances of causing more damage are greater, and so seeing those locations on the tanks is still a benefit other players don't have.  

The problem is twofold:

• it's partly that the hitskins do constitute an unfair benefit (small as it may be)
  • if WG does not firmly ban this and any mod, it will lead people to attempt more impactful mods that will further tilt the game in their favor.

Edited by reluctanttheist, 16 September 2015 - 05:56 PM.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

CptCheez #318 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

• Players
  • 15398 battles

View PostBRUENHILLDE, on 16 September 2015 - 01:25 PM, said:

Let's not go there triarii. There is no one more stand up in this place then Rocket. His character and reputation will never be tarnished by a triarii dogpile. 

Shall we remind people of things that you and Rocket have posted on the "other" forums, or do you not want to go there either?  Maybe you want to reconsider who it is that you White Knight for.

One last time: This is not about Triarii.  This is not about Krieg.  This is not about clans at all.  It never was.

Edited by CptCheez, 16 September 2015 - 05:56 PM.

"When the going gets tough and the stomach acids flow, 
The cold wind of conformity is nipping at your nose.
When some trendy new atrocity has brought you to your knees
Come with us we'll sail the Seas of Cheese."

BRUENHILLDE #319 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:57 PM

I HATE CHEESE

• Players
  • 15212 battles
  • [US1]

View PostCptCheez, on 16 September 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

Shall we remind people of things that you and Rocket have posted on the "other" forums, or do you not want to go there either?  Maybe you want to reconsider who it is that you White Knight for.

One last time: This is not about Triarii.  This is not about Krieg.  This is not about clans at all.  It never was.

Hi cheez. Please do remind us. I actually forgot. Was it something about rats and cheese?

Edited by BRUENHILLDE, 16 September 2015 - 05:58 PM.

Warlord49 #320 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:58 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 59358 battles
Triarii dogpile? Wow dude you must be looking in a mirror, minus the Triarii

Also tagged with Mods, hack, cheating

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users