What's up with that module target skin mod?

Mods hack cheating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

CptCheez #321 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

• Players
  • 15398 battles

View PostBRUENHILLDE, on 16 September 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Hi cheez. Please do remind us. I actually forgot. Was it something about rats and cheese?

Hyperlinks...how do they work?

Zulu's post wasn't even about Rocket to begin with.  But thanks for playing!

Edited by CptCheez, 16 September 2015 - 06:00 PM.

"When the going gets tough and the stomach acids flow, 
The cold wind of conformity is nipping at your nose.
When some trendy new atrocity has brought you to your knees
Come with us we'll sail the Seas of Cheese."

Rev_ianc_bell #322 Posted 16 September 2015 - 05:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 28906 battles
  • [PRD]

View PostRev_ianc_bell, on 12 September 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

3.2    You may not reproduce, distribute, publicly display, publicly perform, or otherwise use the Software, except as expressly set forth herein.  Except and solely to the extent such a restriction is impermissible under applicable law, you may not (a) decompile, reverse engineer, or otherwise access or attempt to access the source code for the Software, or make or attempt to make any modification to the Software or any portion thereof; or (b) interfere with or circumvent any feature of the Software or the Service, including without limitation any security, or access control mechanism, or use any automated scripts, tools, “bots” or otherwise exploit the system for the purpose of altering the game play oreliminating, reducing, or otherwise circumventing fees that would otherwise be payable, or attempt to do any of the foregoing.  The term Software, as used herein, includes any update or modification to the Software made available to you by Wargaming (unless provided with separate terms).  If you are prohibited under applicable law from using the Software or the Service, you may not use them.

View Posttlouie, on 11 September 2015 - 05:14 PM, said:

Here's the answer I got from Support when I asked for their stance on hitskin mods creating an unfair playfield:

Please know that you are not the first tanker that has brought the presence of in-game modifications to both the attention of us at Wargaming support and our developers.

We at support have been involved in discussions with our community team and our producers to set up some documentation that details what we would consider are illegal modifications for World of Tanks Blitz, and apologize that there is currently no rules that restrict the use of modifications such as the hit skin modification you've mentioned.

Please know that if and when a formal policy for in-game modifications is established, you will find all of this information in our forums and support knowledgebase center (https://na.wargaming...-of-tanks-blitz)and recommend that you stay tuned to these portals for any future announcements: 

Again, we know how frustrating the presence of modifications is very frustrating, but please know that we recognize your concerns and are trying to put our best foot forward in establishing a proper policy to combat modifications.

Until then we hope that you continue to enjoy the game for all of its positive aspects.

View PostPraeceladon, on 14 September 2015 - 02:55 PM, said:

Are camo mods illegal? Like adding stripes to my tank and making it dark green instead of vomit yellow tinted gray

View PostRocket_NA, on 14 September 2015 - 06:09 PM, said:

I'm in agreement about Mods.

There should be nothing that can skew the outcome of any match. 

The only issue about this for me is MSix being attacked for his motivation for his use. 

My concern is the handful of Clans with high Profile on the Forums will play fairly when CW arrives. But what about the other Clans.

I think WG needs to leave no gray area. If Mods are against the Rules as stated in the EULA then there is no gray. But the message is not consistent. It needs resolution. Otherwise this kind of conflict will continue. It doesnt benefit  the Forums, the Game or relations among player base.

View PostNICKEL_AND_DIME, on 15 September 2015 - 03:28 PM, said:

Does the EULA have a provision for players who have the hit skins installed, but do not actually utilize them?  Or is there a clause giving permissive endorsement for those who use the mods for instructional purposes?  WG really needs to speak out on this, as to if they allow it, or if they don't, and under what possible circumstances.  The feedback people are getting from WG seems inconsistent based on what is shared within this thread. 

The relevant section of the EULA appears to target mods that will effect gameplay. The hitskin mods, mods that make you float above the terrain, infinite gold or somehow altering the characteristics of your tank or munitions in a way that gives you an advantage appear to a clear violation. They may also be difficult to detect, or costly to implement a solution for. The response from wargaming: be it official, semi-official or unofficial appears to be completely incongruous with the EULA. Our clan leadership discussed mods and the hitskin mod in particular before this thread  came up and we consider them cheating. Altering the camo on the tanks otherwise has no effect on gameplay so it would be permissable to us.

I don't think personal attacks or Hitler comparisons are appropriate. I still would say that using the mod in public battles is cheating even if you think it isn't performance enhancing  or rationalise it somehow as a public service. I would point out that their explicit use in your videos leaves the community no reason whatsoever to believe that you don't use them the rest of the time, nor does it count as a non-cheat in my mind if you "only" use them when making videos which you have also contradicted by admitting you "sometimes forget" to uninstall the mod. I can't imagine it is a brief or convenient process to switch back and forth between the two modes and regardless even if you use it sometimes you are using it.

The module and crew locations as well as armour thickness is publicly available in graphic form. People don't need them demonstrated if you point them to the correct tools. What benefit is gleaned by a few individuals  from your including this cheat in your videos is completely over matched by the detriment to the community 

Edited by Rev_ianc_bell, 16 September 2015 - 06:01 PM.

Commandant of Predator Corps [PRD] (formerly  [PDR-R])

Check out my youtube channel

My profile at wotbstars, wblitz.net  and blitzstars

PRD/PDR-R Website: http://www.predatorswotbclan.org or visit our recruitment thread or our discussion thread RED IN TOOTH AND CLAW 

Lokeen #323 Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

General P. McDangles

• Club Wargaming
  • 38513 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostBRUENHILLDE, on 16 September 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

Let's not go there triarii. There is no one more stand up in this place then Rocket. His character and reputation will never be tarnished by a triarii dogpile. You guys don't have the stones. Just trust me on that. 

Hahaha hilarious. Hey Bruen, you forgot that YOU actually have to have some semblance of a respectable reputation before anyone gives a "dog pile" about who you vouche for lol!

Speaking of dogpile......nice profile pic. Hahahaha

someguyfromPitt #324 Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:02 PM

Jeez Louise that one bounced

• Players
  • 48974 battles
  • [III]

We should make this a sticky

this thread has solid gold poop in here that makes me laugh so much. 

Tier 10's: FV 183, T110E3, T110E4, T110E5, T57, M48, IS-4, IS-7, T-62a, Obj 140, Grille, BätChät 

There is only one TD and 183 is her name. 

I drive Joseph Stallon (IS) tanks for the win.

BRUENHILLDE #325 Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:04 PM

I HATE CHEESE

• Players
  • 15172 battles
  • [US-1]

View PostCptCheez, on 16 September 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

Hyperlinks...how do they work?

Zulu's post wasn't even about Rocket to begin with.  But thanks for playing!

It does say expert right there in your sig. You got this cheez. 

And I stand by that link. If the shoe fits cheez......

Winner of the coveted most admired Blitz forumer award for 2018!  In addition to the 2014,15,16,17 awards.

Over 13,000 profile views. Better than 99.99% of forum users. And more than all of club war gaming members combined. And I've never even started a thread or made a video. By the way everyone hates the rules quoting guy. 

Proud member of US-1 ALL AMERICANS! Americans only. To apply here check out our feeder clans Triari and Prammo first. If you are from north or south of the border do not bother applying. You are not welcome here. Thanks. 

George__S__Patton #326 Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:07 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 27350 battles
  • [501ST]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 16 September 2015 - 09:54 AM, said:

Grey areas always come up in life, and getting this resolved is to everyone's benefit.  

The fact that this thread is still ongoing isn't a good thing. So, yes, lets just conclude this immediately and leave it be.

Edited by George__S__Patton, 16 September 2015 - 06:08 PM.

BRUENHILLDE #327 Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

I HATE CHEESE

• Players
  • 15172 battles
  • [US-1]

View PostLokeen, on 16 September 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

Hahaha hilarious. Hey Bruen, you forgot that YOU actually have to have some semblance of a respectable reputation before anyone gives a "dog pile" about who you vouche for lol!

Speaking of dogpile......nice profile pic. Hahahaha

Best you can do again? Making fun of the USMC Devil Dog? Come on triarri I'd expect a little better from you guys. Putting the guy out front thats sporting the toy of the month from Toys R Us as his profile pic. Just ain't the same there since thunder left I guess. 

Winner of the coveted most admired Blitz forumer award for 2018!  In addition to the 2014,15,16,17 awards.

Over 13,000 profile views. Better than 99.99% of forum users. And more than all of club war gaming members combined. And I've never even started a thread or made a video. By the way everyone hates the rules quoting guy. 

Proud member of US-1 ALL AMERICANS! Americans only. To apply here check out our feeder clans Triari and Prammo first. If you are from north or south of the border do not bother applying. You are not welcome here. Thanks. 

curtburrito #328 Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:08 PM

Lance-corporal

• Players
  • 23236 battles
  • [III-X]
Glad its a slow day here at my store, this is getting entertaining.  I just don't see how you can defend hit skins and keep any semblance of honor intact.  The fact that a player uses to give him an edge to play beyond their capacity should be the sign that they are cheating.  If you need War Gaming to spell it out for you in a rule before you obey it means that your ethical code is dictated by others.  I really feel bad for people like that and honestly have no respect for them at all.

reluctanttheist #329 Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:11 PM

Canuck Didactics

• Players
  • 25480 battles
  • [III-H]

Again, it boils down to this.  Our western society is what it is because of absolutes.  Right and wrong.  Failure to observes rules - or even to think that you have to - demonstrates the erosion of personal ethics.  These absolutes create the orderly society that makes life less stressful.  There are rules - we trust others are going to abide by them.  We drive and walk and live under this umbrella.

If enough people do what they think is right for them, that's called anarchy.  Things do downhill really fast.  Do we want this game to become a free-for-all, or do we want a fair and enjoyable playing experience?  That's what this really is about.

Edited by reluctanttheist, 16 September 2015 - 06:13 PM.

Tanks:  _X: T110E5, T110E3, FV215b(183), IS-7, Obj.140  _IX: M103, T-54  _VIII: IS-6, T34, Lowe, T-44, IS-6, IS-3D  _VII: T-43, Comet, E25, AT-15A, SU-122-44
Usually on in the evenings Pacific time.  Intake Contact for Triarii Clan (PM for details)
Be a better player  |  Click here if you have lag  |  Graphics Settings for iOS  |  Check your ping with Pingplotter  |  Get good: watch Bushka!  |  Check out tanks on Tank Compare  and  BlitzHangar

SkiFletch #330 Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:12 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30367 battles
  • [SRT]

There are two seemingly legit issues with hitskin mods.  The first is that they are not available to everyone.  In fact they are available to an exceptionally select few of the player base who both knows of their existence (folks that read here) AND are willing/knowledgeable/able to root/jailbreak their devices.  Not everyone reads the forums.  In fact I'd venture less than 10% of the player base does.  Further, of those that do, not everyone has the knowledge/desire to jailbreak/root their phone.  Many may be trepidatious about bricking their device, many may not have the time to search and actually go through with the effort to do so.  And even further, many may not be able to if the device is shared or loaned.  The point is, everyone can download the game, but far from everyone can use the mod.  That creates the possibility of unfair play and an unfair advantage.  And many folks get really angry about issues of fairness in life, hence the 16 pages and counting here.

The second issue arises from the first.  If you feel that the hit skins offer a competitive advantage, ALL gameplay becomes suspect.  "Did that guy just hit my ammo rack because he learned the module location through study, or did he just hack a hit skin on it?"  The tinfoil hats are on all the time now because you don't know who is using it and who is not.  The mere existence of a mod like this causes some to doubt everything.  That taint's the level of fun in the gameplay and leaves everyone suspicious of each other.  Finally, promoting such a mod that creates distrust through youtube videos only furthers suspicion/hate/resentment/etc.

SkiFletch #331 Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30367 battles
  • [SRT]

View Postreluctanttheist, on 16 September 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

Again, it boils down to this.  Our western society is what it is because of absolutes.  Right and wrong.  Failure to observes rules - or even to think that you have to - demonstrates the erosion of personal ethics.  These absolutes create the orderly society that makes life less stressful.  There's rules - we trust others are going to abide by them.  We drive and walk and live under this umbrella.

If enough people do what they think is right for them, that's called anarchy.  Things do downhill really fast.  Do we want this game to become a free-for-all, or do we want a fair and enjoyable playing experience?  That's what this really is about.

Just read this after my post.  Couldn't agree more.  CC, I see that you're reading this...  When you do, consider that longterm distrust that such a mod creates may have an effect on the amount of time/money those of us who read these forums spend in the game.  I realize we're an insignificant portion of the player base and the revenues you guys generate, but folks that don't feel they're being treated fairly will often just walk away from a mere entertainment experience that is no longer entertaining.

CC_Sly #332 Posted 16 September 2015 - 06:15 PM

Community Lead

• Players
  • 3092 battles
  • [WGA]

Official response in regards to mods can be found here:

http://forum.wotblitz.com/index.php?/topic/31847-mods-in-blitz/

LOCKING THIS TOPIC.

FORMER

Please read the WoT Blitz Game and Forum rules.

Forum Rules - EULA TOS

Find us on Facebook & Twitter!

Also tagged with Mods, hack, cheating

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users