What's up with that module target skin mod?

Mods hack cheating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

Firefly_1026 #41 Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:54 PM

King of Smurf and Seals

• Players
  • 23115 battles
  • [DFNT]
WG needs to hurry up and make up a list of illegal modifications on Blitz like how they did one with WOT PC

WriterDude #42 Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:58 PM

My Posts Are Forum Prammo

• Players
  • 23053 battles

View PostMSixteen, on 07 September 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

I have the module/crew location mod installed. I also played PC for YEARS before Blitz even came out, so I already knew where to shoot to damage whatever module. Not the crew, except for the driver in some tanks, but the modules like engines/ammo racks/fuel tanks I knew like the back of my hand.

The modules I have are for those who watch my videos so they can learn for themselves without having to look them up after the game. If you watch any of my videos before I installed the mods, and any of the videos after you won't notice any change in where I aim. Besides... I snapshot the majority of the time and don't fully aim anyways so the mod is no help to ME personally.

I do recognize that the mod could easily be exploited, which is the intention of the creators, but I personally don't gain any benefit from it. If you do not believe me, I don't really care. I know why I installed the mod, and it wasn't to give myself an 'edge'.

I hope that you know that I have tremendous respect for your game skills, and goodness knows you've destroyed me a zillion times plus two. I have no doubts about your skill set, gameplay, or knowledge. I've learned personally from feedback you've given me, and I'm grateful for that.

However, yes, I've seen this mod in your videos. This response indicates that you're part of the problem.

If anyone modifies the game in a way that a) improves or simplifies the game experience and b) is not available to every single player, that's a cheat offering an unfair advantage. Let's use a parallel example. Let's say a football quarterback (one of the best in the game, with super skills) said "I'm going to deflate these footballs for this game, because it makes them easier to grip." How would you react? Would you say he was cheating? Would anyone claim that making the footballs easier to grip isn't going to give him an advantage, whether that advantage makes a tangible difference or not? Even better, if he chooses to deflate his footballs, shouldn't EVERYONE be allowed to choose whether their footballs are or aren't deflated? Why or why not?

You shouldn't modify the game for any reason, much less for instructional purposes. It doesn't matter whether it gives you an edge or not; it validates and illustrates the cheat for others. Also, contrary to your intention, your action actually ENCOURAGES players to modify the game so that their game experience works like the instruction. It would be different if WG set up their training with some kind of indicators, because that's obviously a controlled context from an authoritative channel, but even that would be problematic in some ways.

Until you stop using mods - of any kind - I'll never watch another of your videos, and won't even visit your channel, because even my tiny incidental traffic will draw more attention to them. It's not personal in any way, or directed only at you - I'll also boycott every video where I see modifications to the game experience that aren't available to every player. The only acceptable game experience is the one WG designed, animated by individual skill sets. 

Worthy of focus fire by SPUDX.  Potato Cred Link

"In Blitz, there's a certain value in expeditiously moving to the inevitable." -WriterDude

cheasesteak #43 Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 19661 battles
  • [COD-R]
Well said Writerdude. 

Overpriced Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

mehliveat #44 Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

This is a cheat and against the rules.  Whoever uses this is a cheat, no matter their actual reasons or any actual advantages that they might get from it.

Therefore any results or WR that they might attain will be tainted by this cheat.  You use this mod and want to brag?  Well, too bad, you're a cheat.

Sure, WG will probably never be able to stop it since its a modification of local files.  Sure, if people just keep their mouth shut, no one will ever know about it.  

But if people do find out, then your records will be tainted from here on in.

Knight44 #45 Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:53 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 11011 battles
  • [GZR]
I know for a fact that I have had more fires and ammo rack damage since this mod showed up, and I have had to change out optics on a few tanks for wet ammo racks as a result. Also more crew hits, engine fires. Since mods can't be used on non jail broken iPads at all, WG needs to end the disparity with android OS where it is easier to implement mods than it is in IOS. Rooting android is no big deal. Jail breaking an iPad is something most people are not willing to risk.

mehliveat #46 Posted 07 September 2015 - 08:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View PostKnight44, on 08 September 2015 - 06:53 AM, said:

I know for a fact that I have had more fires and ammo rack damage since this mod showed up, and I have had to change out optics on a few tanks for wet ammo racks as a result. Also more crew hits, engine fires. Since mods can't be used on non jail broken iPads at all, WG needs to end the disparity with android OS where it is easier to implement mods than it is in IOS. Rooting android is no big deal. Jail breaking an iPad is something most people are not willing to risk.

I think this mod (or similar ones) has been around for quite a while now, maybe late last year?  So its nothing new, except perhaps an increasing awareness of them.

1carburo #47 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 53863 battles

View PostBR1XT0N, on 06 September 2015 - 11:09 AM, said:

All front engine tank modules that you'd care about hitting are in roughly the same spot; all rear engine tank modules you'd care about hitting are in roughly the same spot. With that said, absolutely do not believe that it makes the difference between a good player and a bad one. Or even a good player and a better one.

I think it does make a difference. Many of us know where modules are for most tanks, but there is a significant difference between 1) recognize tank/remember module placement/aim and 2) aim at highlighted area, especially when you have to do it while driving, checking the minimap, etc.

I know anecdotes =/= data, but my modules are being damaged much more than before. Just today I got my driver killed several times, including a game where it was killed twice in a row by the same player (I asked him if he was using modules hit skin but he didn't reply). I don't know how many people are using this, and I agree bad players won't become aces because of it, but it's still cheating, and it gives a tremendous advantage.

koop123 #48 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:13 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 8331 battles

Msixteen, you have an above 70% win rate. You did so before the hit skin was installed. Many of you are amazing players and I fought hard before I died, but you and Tebra were on a different level and played the game with skill that stunned me. After being killed by you on Goldville (a game you do not remember, because. . .why would you) I stopped playing for awhile and tried to figure out how you jaunted through the game as if on a tube floating down a river. I do not doubt that you do not need it--this is not the point. You said it is for your viewers. Do you think they are sitting there, pausing the game and writing down the module locations? No, they see a purple player with the mod and think--if he uses it, so can I!! If you wanted to help them, why not explain where you are aiming--point out Armor Inspector. Point out to them how you played on PC and spent the time learning where weak spots are. . .as many of us have done in the past.

Br1x, I love you man--loved hearing your interview on Tank Boom. But I have to disagree. Many players who download this mod are getting snap shot module damage and seem not to know the basics of game mechanics. They are tantamount to the kid pressing the cheeseburger button on a McDonald's cash register, they are not the kind of player who spends hours on Armor Inspector or hours reading Garbad's posts on wotlabs and watching Zeven's stream on Twitch.

I guess we will need to get our Big Boy pants on and suck it up, it seems that this mod is here to stay.

The issue in my eyes is thus: I have a hard enough time trying to hold my own out there in the high tiers. I can play well some of the time, but most of the time it is a struggle. I am trying to manage my health pool. Trying to press through the learning curve as I mostly solo in my tier X meds. So far I am not doing well. Holding a 30% win rate in tier X meds is a clear indication of this fact. If I take damage from an unskilled player who only was able to place that shot because of the hit skin mod, this will effect me greatly when I go up against a skilled player. I now have damage and had to use a consumable, when I otherwise would not have been hit--which handicaps me when I need to fight a player who knows exactly what they are doing.

As long as WG keeps silent, there is nothing we can do: I suspect they will do nothing about it and this will just spread like cancer. Many will say: if I can't beat them, then I might as well join them. I wish we had no hit skins at all and the game was like it is on PC. This mod just makes it even more easy for people to never get better. They may not even care what modules are--they just see it as a target on a tank and press fire.

Why did Bushka uninstall it? His influence is far and wide...notice how many go to that spot on Malinovka and fire up at the mill because they can't be spotted? It seemed to spread after his video came out and I also think that clans are also a reason it is gaining in popularity. Most of the clans are just groups of friends and if one installs it, the others join in the fun.

Again. . .nothing we can do about it. It is not fun, I just have to look at it as a challenge. Add it to my ever growing list of goals in this game.

GG was close.

Edited by _Irregular_Apocalypse_, 07 September 2015 - 09:19 PM.

WR~0.23% Damage Ratio~.0009  WN9~ 35.  Avg Tier~1.10

Mistake_ #49 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 4612 battles
I use mine once in a while which is for my YouTube to give people an idea of the locations. It's like I do a YouTube video of the module/crew locations every once a week. 

My YouTube Channel - Link

mehliveat #50 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:17 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View Post1carburo, on 08 September 2015 - 07:03 AM, said:

I don't know how many people are using this, and I agree bad players won't become aces because of it, but it's still cheating, and it gives a tremendous advantage.

I actually think it might make the bad players worse, there is a guy on the Asia forum asking for instructions installing the mod.  The problem is that the guy can barely penetrate anything with the subpar hit ratio and average damage.  Now, imagine someone that can't even penetrate consistently trying to hit the components/crews, they will probably spend way more time aiming and staying far too exposed.

I think these mods will only really benefit middle of the road players, ones that can hit well.  So instead of just penning the side of the tank, they pen the crew/components.  Then you go up to the unicum level players, they would probably only gain marginal benefits since they probably memorised the key locations already, maybe just a tank here or there that they don't come across that often where this might be helpful.

tlouie #51 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:24 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]

View PostMSixteen, on 07 September 2015 - 03:18 PM, said:

I have the module/crew location mod installed. I also played PC for YEARS before Blitz even came out, so I already knew where to shoot to damage whatever module. Not the crew, except for the driver in some tanks, but the modules like engines/ammo racks/fuel tanks I knew like the back of my hand.

The modules I have are for those who watch my videos so they can learn for themselves without having to look them up after the game. If you watch any of my videos before I installed the mods, and any of the videos after you won't notice any change in where I aim. Besides... I snapshot the majority of the time and don't fully aim anyways so the mod is no help to ME personally.

I do recognize that the mod could easily be exploited, which is the intention of the creators, but I personally don't gain any benefit from it. If you do not believe me, I don't really care. I know why I installed the mod, and it wasn't to give myself an 'edge'.

Do you revert the hitskin back to normal when not recording a video? If not, then it's no longer for educational purposes.

BR1XT0N #52 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11164 battles
  • [CMPNY]
I think we could go back and forth on it all day but that it really doesn't matter until WG says "yes, this is illegal and we will take action" or "No, this isn't illegal." Personally, I am just going to keep doing what I've been doing. I don't feel any need to light the torches and pass out pitch forks. There are concerns that I feel should be addressed first, like WG business model catering to Player_293492934923942934 instead of their dedicated customers. Then there's my pet gripe, this horrible forum.

"Come and take your medicine."

Recruiting: HERE Stats: BR1XT0N Tank Videos: HERE

Proud Member of the

//©// COMPANY \\©\\

tlouie #53 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:35 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]

View PostBR1XT0N, on 07 September 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

I think we could go back and forth on it all day but that it really doesn't matter until WG says "yes, this is illegal and we will take action" or "No, this isn't illegal." Personally, I am just going to keep doing what I've been doing. I don't feel any need to light the torches and pass out pitch forks. There are concerns that I feel should be addressed first, like WG business model catering to Player_293492934923942934 instead of their dedicated customers. Then there's my pet gripe, this horrible forum.

WG's stance seems pretty clear in their posted game rules

http://forum.wotblit...itz-game-rules/

2.13. Discussion on, or linking to unreleased content, cheats, hacks, Trojan horses, or malicious programs is prohibited. If you suspect that a cheat or hack exists or have any other problems or concerns on these topics, provide the necessary information to technical support.

_bel #54 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:44 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15081 battles
  • [SRT]

View PostMSixteen, on 07 September 2015 - 07:18 PM, said:

:teethhappy::teethhappy::teethhappy:

The mod is cheating, simple as that. Most game developers don't tolerate cheaters so I'm confident this issue will be resolved soon:)

Edited by _bel, 07 September 2015 - 09:45 PM.

pm beefhat for custom clan sigs

BR1XT0N #55 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:46 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11164 battles
  • [CMPNY]

View Posttlouie, on 07 September 2015 - 04:35 PM, said:

WG's stance seems pretty clear in their posted game rules

http://forum.wotblit...itz-game-rules/

2.13. Discussion on, or linking to unreleased content, cheats, hacks, Trojan horses, or malicious programs is prohibited. If you suspect that a cheat or hack exists or have any other problems or concerns on these topics, provide the necessary information to technical support.

Have to disagree. Their stance would be clear if they said it was illegal and then people who used it were warned not to. I can't imagine that WG isn't aware of someone as well known as M16 or Bushka, so to me it seems like it must not be a big deal to them. 

Proud Member of the

//©// COMPANY \\©\\

Delta256 #56 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10086 battles
  • [IMPR]

View Postahredstealth, on 04 September 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

Simmer down, Church Lady.  (Ha ha ha.  Couldn't resist.)

I agree with the first part of this statement.  It would be nice to know how many people are running the Mod.  I would bet the percentage is fairly small for two reasons.  1) The population of this game that care about it enough to load mods are probably also on the forum, and we're the minority... so you're probably talking about a minority of a minority.  2)  A lot of people aren't running jail broken devices, and/or just don't know how to work Mods.  (I fall squarely into category 2 because I'm old enough now where my VCR blinks 12:00)

The second part...  eh... not so sure.  Now we are getting into tinfoil hat territory.  "I just know I'm getting more module damage" is a statement that screams to me that it's in your head.  I haven't noticed a big change.  I've been ammo racked less in the past 100 games.  Perhaps the hit skin Mod is making them shoot for my driver instead of my ammo rack?

I'm just not ready to jump on the "everyone is using it" bandwagon.

It would be nice for Wargaming to say something official on the matter though, and if they can tell some how who is using hit skins.  Just saying something to that second part would probably deter some people from using them.

Although I would like to think otherwise, try typing "world of tanks blitz" into your search bar in Safari/preferred browser. The search terms that pop up aren't encouraging. Hacks and whatnot, if they continue to be unmoderated, will have a negative impact on the community and the game. It will only be a matter of time until someone implements a free cam hack, allowing you to see anywhere on the map, for example.

I sometimes drive Warships too.

tlouie #57 Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:57 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]

View PostBR1XT0N, on 07 September 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

Have to disagree. Their stance would be clear if they said it was illegal and then people who used it were warned not to. I can't imagine that WG isn't aware of someone as well known as M16 or Bushka, so to me it seems like it must not be a big deal to them. 

So exploit in a specific way until they come right out and say don't exploit in that specific way?

Would users of any mod be willing to send WG a support ticket describing what their mod does and asking for clarity on its use?

I didn't think so.

Edited by tlouie, 07 September 2015 - 11:02 PM.

CptCheez #58 Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:23 PM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

• Players
  • 15398 battles

View PostStr8UpJack, on 06 September 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

I guess the answer is WG devs insert some code into the game that prevents the game from loading on a device that is Rooted or Jailbroken..( is that even possible ? )

Yes, that's possible.  There are games out there right now that will not even load if your phone/ipad is jailbroken.  Ingress is a perfect example.

"When the going gets tough and the stomach acids flow, 
The cold wind of conformity is nipping at your nose.
When some trendy new atrocity has brought you to your knees
Come with us we'll sail the Seas of Cheese."

BR1XT0N #59 Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:34 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11164 battles
  • [CMPNY]

I mean, look. I'm really not interested in getting into an argument that defends the use of the mod. Some of my good friends are vehemently against it and I don't want to get into a scuffle with any of them about it. Especially since I don't use it now, nor will I at any point in the future. My stance remains though that people are getting more upset about it than they should be. We have no way of measuring whether or not modules are actually being damaged with greater regularity. In my opinion, it is just too easily influenced by confirmation bias for us to say "yes module dam has increased" or "no it has not" without data. Finally, I stand by my assertion that the advantage a mod like this gives a player is minimal.

The bottom line for me is that if WG doesn't back up what they say, no one will take their rules seriously. If you look at the state of matches, with the blocking, the harassment, and so on, it's clear that many users don't take the rules seriously at all. That WG is unwilling or unable to enforce their EULA in game is a much more serious problem than module hit skins.

Proud Member of the

//©// COMPANY \\©\\

MSixteen #60 Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:40 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 17593 battles
  • [_V2_]

A while ago I did message the Mods about the hitskin. This is the conversation.

MSixteen

Sent: 20 August 2015 - 07:40 PM

I have created a few threads recently where it shows gameplay I have recorded. In the last few videos, it shows a mod I have installed with the intention to use it as a learning tool for my subscribers. The mod shows the location of modules and crew members of most tanks that are tier 5 and above. Just now I was told that the mod could get my account banned, but I never heard anything from any of the mods on the threads.

I decided I would rather be safe than sorry, and ask  you two whether or not the mod could get me banned, even though I don't use it for myself, so am I safe to keep it, or should I uninstall the mod asap

Alo8ight

Sent: 21 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

We're aware of the mod that you're using and the idea behind "mods", in general, are currently in discussion. While the use of mods are not enforced in Blitz, players that use mods will not be banned. Once we finalize our stance regarding mods, you can expect to see messaging within the forums,Support knowledge base and possible portal article that educates our entire community.  

Best,

Alo8ight

MSixteen

Sent: 21 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

Ok, thank you for replying. Until I get the message saying that the mod, or mods in general are banned, I'll use it so the people watching my videos can learn some more!
Alo8ight

Sent: 21 August 2015 - 11:37 AM

:honoring:

As for WriterDude: I am truly sorry that you will not be watching my videos because of any mods I have installed.

Apocalypse: I do not expect that people are pausing the video and taking notes of where the mods on each of the tanks are, but it will show them the general area from the quick glances on them, and that is the idea behind using the mods. Because ingame, you aren't spending any more time than necessary to aim to get your shot off, and quick glances are all you'll ever get at a time. And also for your point of Bushka uninstalling it... his influence is much more "far and wide" than mine is. He has a few thousand subs and I don't even have 100.

Edited by MSixteen, 07 September 2015 - 10:47 PM.

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

Also tagged with Mods, hack, cheating

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users