What's up with that module target skin mod?

Mods hack cheating

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
331 replies to this topic

BR1XT0N #61 Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11164 battles
  • [CMPNY]

View PostMSixteen, on 07 September 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

MSixteen

Sent: 20 August 2015 - 07:40 PM

I have created a few threads recently where it shows gameplay I have recorded. In the last few videos, it shows a mod I have installed with the intention to use it as a learning tool for my subscribers. The mod shows the location of modules and crew members of most tanks that are tier 5 and above. Just now I was told that the mod could get my account banned, but I never heard anything from any of the mods on the threads.

I decided I would rather be safe than sorry, and ask  you two whether or not the mod could get me banned, even though I don't use it for myself, so am I safe to keep it, or should I uninstall the mod asap

Alo8ight

Sent: 21 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

We're aware of the mod that you're using and the idea behind "mods", in general, are currently in discussion. While the use of mods are not enforced in Blitz, players that use mods will not be banned. Once we finalize our stance regarding mods, you can expect to see messaging within the forums,Support knowledge base and possible portal article that educates our entire community.  

Best,

Alo8ight

MSixteen

Sent: 21 August 2015 - 11:24 AM

Ok, thank you for replying. Until I get the message saying that the mod, or mods in general are banned, I'll use it so the people watching my videos can learn some more!

Edited by BR1XT0N, 07 September 2015 - 11:08 PM.

"Come and take your medicine."

Recruiting: HERE Stats: BR1XT0N Tank Videos: HERE

Proud Member of the

//©// COMPANY \\©\\

tlouie #62 Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:00 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]
Msixteen, thank you for sharing your communications with WG regarding the mod use.

Lokeen #63 Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:05 PM

General P. McDangles

• Club Wargaming
  • 38606 battles
  • [CYCLN]

So there stance is not finalized but players will not be banned. So I guess get ready for a whole bunch more people to go download it. 

....looks like it's time to start looking for a new game. :(

BR1XT0N #64 Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:09 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11164 battles
  • [CMPNY]

Good lord, this forum is really just too frustrating to post on, trying for five minutes to edit a post but can't. :/ Thanks for sharing the convo with Alo, M16. Confirms what I expected their take on game mods are.

"Come and take your medicine."

Recruiting: HERE Stats: BR1XT0N Tank Videos: HERE

Proud Member of the

//©// COMPANY \\©\\

Val_Darrant #65 Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:10 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17916 battles
  • [III-X]
Except that some of us will not jailbreak our phones so even if we wanted the mod we could not do it

"Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts"

MSixteen #66 Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:11 PM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles
  • [_V_]

View PostLokeen, on 07 September 2015 - 05:05 PM, said:

So there stance is not finalized but players will not be banned. So I guess get ready for a whole bunch more people to go download it. 

....looks like it's time to start looking for a new game. :(

if somebody is using the mod to deliberately take CAREFUL aim at your modules/crew then it will be easier for YOU to kill them, because they will take longer to aim for the module/crew that can be penetrated with the already existing hitskin ingame. the longer they are aiming at you, the easier it is for you to put a shot in to them and pull back. if you're going to quit a game because a VERY finite amount of people have a mod that shows modules/crew members, then you need to go play candy crush, because i'm pretty sure nobody has modded that game.

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

Click here for The Art of Blitz Click here for my YouTube channel!

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

Lokeen #67 Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:22 PM

General P. McDangles

• Club Wargaming
  • 38606 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostMSixteen, on 07 September 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

if somebody is using the mod to deliberately take CAREFUL aim at your modules/crew then it will be easier for YOU to kill them, because they will take longer to aim for the module/crew that can be penetrated with the already existing hitskin ingame. the longer they are aiming at you, the easier it is for you to put a shot in to them and pull back. if you're going to quit a game because a VERY finite amount of people have a mod that shows modules/crew members, then you need to go play candy crush, because i'm pretty sure nobody has modded that game.

How very nice of you to belittle my point of view with a sarcastic comment. 

I'm entitled to my view just as you're entitled to yours. I plan to respectfully disagree with you. I hope you find the ability to do the same. 

The fact is in my opinion that it is a modification designed to give an advantage in the game. It didn't come with the game. So when I signed the EULA I didn't sign on to a game with modifications available and allowed that are not accessible to all in the gaming community equally. That in my opinion is a breach of what war gaming has presented as the product to me. If I choose to continue playing regardless that's my choice and yours. If I choose to stop playing because of it that's also my choice and deserves no disrespect. 

66_75_63_6b_20_79_6f_75 #68 Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:25 PM

I Blame Rocket

• Players
  • 17079 battles
  • [SCSC]
I tried to Jailbreak my Ipad. Can no longer be done. Since 8.4.1 Update, Jaibreaking no longer works. You can no longer get 8.4. Currently no Jaibreaking option availible for Apple products. The Update specifically addresses the loop holes the Jailbreaking exploits. So as far as I have seen, once 8.4.1 forced Update occurs, Mods will be history. 

Val_Darrant #69 Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:28 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17916 battles
  • [III-X]
The approval by abstentia is pathetic

"Everybody Counts or Nobody Counts"

osxuser93 #70 Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:38 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11611 battles
  • [III-Z]

View PostDelta256, on 07 September 2015 - 04:50 PM, said:

Although I would like to think otherwise, try typing "world of tanks blitz" into your search bar in Safari/preferred browser. The search terms that pop up aren't encouraging. Hacks and whatnot, if they continue to be unmoderated, will have a negative impact on the community and the game. It will only be a matter of time until someone implements a free cam hack, allowing you to see anywhere on the map, for example.

I don't know exactly how this game is implemented, but from my experience with how games like this typically work, showing the hit skins for tanks is probably much more trivial than being able to view the map from any location (I'm assuming you mean being able to spy on red tanks? A free cam would be basically useless otherwise.). 

We all know that those with new, powerful devices (i.e. iPad Air 2) are already at a slight advantage over those with old, slow devices (original iPad mini like I have). I occasionally crash mid-battle when someone texts me and my device runs out of memory. Don't get me wrong, I'd love more stability improvements, but I can't blame WG because I have an old device. But this seems like a preventable cheat. Am I going to need to jailbreak my device to be on a fair playing field with the noobs who are trying to take a shortcut to skill? That is wrong. 

While I believe WG has some responsibility in this to make it clear what is and isn't against the game rules, it ultimately falls upon the players to be responsible individuals and not to promote and spread the use of cheating mods. This goes even (especially) for skilled and influential players.

mehliveat #71 Posted 07 September 2015 - 11:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View PostMSixteen, on 08 September 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

For noobs, yes, they will overexpose themselves?

But for a decent/good player?  They will use it when its safe to do so.  When an enemy got its side to you?  Do you just pen where ever?  Or do you go for the crew/components, everything else being equal.

The effects on unicums will be marginal, but still there.  Because you now know exactly where everything is, rather than just their approximate locations.  Granted, it will be pretty rare this makes a difference, but it still do.  E.g. You got a tank half in cover.  You can easily pen it out right.  But the crew/components are semi covered.  If you know exactly where everything is, you can make a better judgement on whether to go for a simple pen, or go for the components.  Because if you only knew the approximate locations, you have to make a guess or you aim just that little bit closer to the cover and run the risk of hitting the cover instead.  There will be a lot of these little decision points which may not matter in random pub games, but once clan wars hits?  Every little bit counts, especially among the ultra competitive.

MSixteen #72 Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:20 AM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles
  • [_V_]

View Postmehliveat, on 07 September 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

For noobs, yes, they will overexpose themselves?

But for a decent/good player?  They will use it when its safe to do so.  When an enemy got its side to you?  Do you just pen where ever?  Or do you go for the crew/components, everything else being equal.

The effects on unicums will be marginal, but still there.  Because you now know exactly where everything is, rather than just their approximate locations.  Granted, it will be pretty rare this makes a difference, but it still do.  E.g. You got a tank half in cover.  You can easily pen it out right.  But the crew/components are semi covered.  If you know exactly where everything is, you can make a better judgement on whether to go for a simple pen, or go for the components.  Because if you only knew the approximate locations, you have to make a guess or you aim just that little bit closer to the cover and run the risk of hitting the cover instead.  There will be a lot of these little decision points which may not matter in random pub games, but once clan wars hits?  Every little bit counts, especially among the ultra competitive.

he who goes for a marginal shot over a 100% pen is a fool.

"I'm not a sore loser, l just prefer to win and when I don't I get furious." ~ Ron Swanson

"If you can't figure out how to win in tier 8 against a tier 10, you're not going to be winning in tier 10" ~ PC9684

May my M60 and BOUGHT IS-6 Fearless forever give me bountiful harvests of whiners' salt

cheasesteak #73 Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:24 AM

Lackey to the Barons of Entrenched Corporate Greed

• Players
  • 22281 battles
  • [COD-R]
Sound like a lot of rationalization by folks who really want to use the mods but "it really doesn't help". Riiiiight. If it didn't help people wouldn't bother using it. 

Epstein didn’t kill himself

Delta256 #74 Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:33 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10087 battles
  • [IMPR]

View Postosxuser93, on 07 September 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

I don't know exactly how this game is implemented, but from my experience with how games like this typically work, showing the hit skins for tanks is probably much more trivial than being able to view the map from any location (I'm assuming you mean being able to spy on red tanks? A free cam would be basically useless otherwise.). 

We all know that those with new, powerful devices (i.e. iPad Air 2) are already at a slight advantage over those with old, slow devices (original iPad mini like I have). I occasionally crash mid-battle when someone texts me and my device runs out of memory. Don't get me wrong, I'd love more stability improvements, but I can't blame WG because I have an old device. But this seems like a preventable cheat. Am I going to need to jailbreak my device to be on a fair playing field with the noobs who are trying to take a shortcut to skill? That is wrong. 

While I believe WG has some responsibility in this to make it clear what is and isn't against the game rules, it ultimately falls upon the players to be responsible individuals and not to promote and spread the use of cheating mods. This goes even (especially) for skilled and influential players.

The freecam was just an example, its usage is banned in WoT PC iirc. I do agree though, that the players should also take responsibilty and not use unfair exploits. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. WG cannot patch everything, and those persistent enough will find a way around.

I sometimes drive Warships too.

mehliveat #75 Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:51 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View PostMSixteen, on 08 September 2015 - 10:20 AM, said:

he who goes for a marginal shot over a 100% pen is a fool.

Except that marginal shots are no longer marginal if you know precisely where everything is.

Then it's a clear YES or NO shot.

Edited by mehliveat, 08 September 2015 - 12:58 AM.

glass2707 #76 Posted 08 September 2015 - 12:57 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 30004 battles
  • [GRIM]
I don't really think that this sort of thing is wide spread and I also don't see this particular mod being a significant advantage, though possibly a marginal one.  Good players are more worried about being in the right position to avoid shots, from enemies seen and unseen, than lining up shots on specific modules.  Hitting a spot where a module is only gives something like a 30% chance to do damage to it (except tracks) if my understanding is correct.

HanYOL0 #77 Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:04 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Players
  • 15656 battles
  • [III-Z]

View Postmehliveat, on 07 September 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

Except that marginal shots are no longer marginal if you know precisely where everything is.

^ This ^

Any advantage not available to all, is an unfair one. MSixteen can try to justify the use of hit skins all he likes, and he probably doesn't need them. But, at the end of the day, these kinds of mods provide an unfair advantage. 

Community Pledge Signer

MSixteen #78 Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:35 AM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles
  • [_V_]

View Postmehliveat, on 07 September 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

if you see the module, and it's half covered by hard cover like a rock, and you shoot that instead of say the front drive wheel just because you're trying to get an ammo rack, you're a fool.

View PostHan_Y0lo, on 07 September 2015 - 07:04 PM, said:

^ This ^

Any advantage not available to all, is an unfair one. MSixteen can try to justify the use of hit skins all he likes, and he probably doesn't need them. But, at the end of the day, these kinds of mods provide an unfair advantage. 

you're right. i don't need them. i have them so those watching my youtube videos can learn where they are.

mehliveat #79 Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:53 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 300 battles

View PostMSixteen, on 08 September 2015 - 11:35 AM, said:

if you see the module, and it's half covered by hard cover like a rock, and you shoot that instead of say the front drive wheel just because you're trying to get an ammo rack, you're a fool.

you're right. i don't need them. i have them so those watching my youtube videos can learn where they are.

What if that tracks is covered and no other obvious weak spot shown?

Its interesting that you are so intent on picking apart an hypothetical example.  When on the balance of things, its obvious that more accurate data/information you have the better decisions that you make.

MSixteen #80 Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:09 AM

Full Auto Spud Gun

• Players
  • 18667 battles
  • [_V_]

View Postmehliveat, on 07 September 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

What if that tracks is covered and no other obvious weak spot shown?

Its interesting that you are so intent on picking apart an hypothetical example.  When on the balance of things, its obvious that more accurate data/information you have the better decisions that you make.

it's interesting that you're back peddling from the argument you made, even if it is 'hypothetical' after i told you how foolish it is.

and if the tracks were covered, and no obvious weak spots were shown, why the hell would you take a shot, and how would you have a shot at a crew or module if you couldn't pen?

Also tagged with Mods, hack, cheating

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users