statistics history stats website guide

• Please log in to reply
673 replies to this topic

BlitzStats #21 Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:27 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles
<double post>

Edited by BlitzStats, 22 September 2015 - 12:27 AM.

BlitzStars.com - World of Tanks: Blitz player stats, forum signature

BlitzStars.com / (Blitz) Tank Compare

Player and Tank Statistics for WoT: Blitz

BootlegTampico #22 Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:37 AM

"LGoW" --Random Pub

• Players
  • 22549 battles

View PostBlitzStats, on 21 September 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

Well, I guess what _SEMPRIAN_ was referring to was that it is relative to a datapoint set - in this case, the 'tank averages', which will be different depending on whose data you use. In that way it is different to WN7.

I have added WN7 right next to WN8 on BlitzStars now and if you compare the two stats against the stats on other sites, you will see that the WN7s are (or should be, give or take a rounding error or two) identical regardless of site, where as the WN8s do vary.

I see. I consider WN7 irrelevant, because of WN8, but if you could have it do an average per tier, then I could see it somewhat being applicable.

Clan War Discord Server youtube Join the Legion

I would love for Wargaming to succeed, and I will push for success until I'm gone or Blitz is. 

BlitzStats #23 Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:45 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostShawk_91, on 22 September 2015 - 12:37 AM, said:

I see. I consider WN7 irrelevant, because of WN8, but if you could have it do an average per tier, then I could see it somewhat being applicable.

I personally agree with you than WN7 has been superseded and there's not much need for it any more, but lots of people like having it around it seems. And it's very easy to calculate so I've put it on for the people who care, and those who don't can ignore it. I think if you have WN7 taking averages for tiers you are half way to WN8 anyway.

Personally I'd like something different... we'll see what happens. '[edited] rating' may be an appropriate acronym for anything I come up with ;)

BlitzStats #24 Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:30 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

BETA Update 2

Many minor fixes and tweaks have happened since the site went live a week ago.

The largest of them is the new 'tank view'.

The mobile version of the view was introduced a few days ago and now the full responsive version is ready for testing.

To access the view simply click on a row in the tanks table. If you have filters applied to the tanks table, those filters will apply to the tank view (when hitting 'previous' and 'next' .

There's nothing too revolutionary about it the view, although I hope it is sleek and clear. The only real addition over the previous 'inline' view is the 'This week's <TANK> Blitz Stars' section at the bottom, in the red. This is simply a list of the players who did the 'best' in the tank in the last 7 days. (Currently determined simply by winrate). In time I hope to incorporate this kind of rolling 'Hall of Fame' in other places on the site.

The other - potentially nice - thing that the new view allows is direct linking to a person's particular tank view. For example: http://www.blitzstars.com/player/com/GoneFlanking/tank/11537 takes you directly to the player's page with the tank view open (in this case, the view shown in the screenshots below, hopefully!).

The new view is designed to be responsive and as such will look different on different screen sizes and orientations. Please let me know if you encounter any bugs!

BlitzStars.com Tank Stats view 01

BlitzStars.com Tank Stats view 02

_S3MPRIAN_ #25 Posted 26 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 11212 battles
So what are the tracked players? I assume the majority of the player base isn't in there yet

BlitzStats #26 Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:01 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View Post_S3MPRIAN_, on 26 September 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

So what are the tracked players? I assume the majority of the player base isn't in there yet

Yeah, unfortunately, unless wargaming decide to give us the averages themselves, there's no way to realistically cover the whole playerbase.

For BlitzStars, it's currently ~6.6k players tracked and the averages are based off those players. The current average winrate of all the tracked players is about 53.5% which I would guess is about 5% or so above the total playerbase average (min 100 battles in a particular tank for the stat to go towards the average - which is a fairly high bar too).

Small Update

I have added 'rolling' 30-60-90 day stats and the same will be coming to the individual tanks soon too (this data relies on a player having been tracked for 30/60/90 days of course).

I've also added a 'filtered averages' feature - where if you apply a filter to the tanks table, you will see the averages of the resulting tanks (ie. filter only heavy tanks at tiers 6,7,8 and you will see a table row of average stats for the tanks that match the filter).

Various other fixes and tweaks have happened, and the site is more and more mobile/tablet friendly as time goes on. Even added a 'swipe left/right' when viewing tank details to go to the next/previous tank in the list.

There are more features planned and things will keep evolving in the immediate future.

Asiaticus #27 Posted 28 September 2015 - 12:09 AM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 16340 battles
Nice. I am a huge fan of wotbstars.com, but it's also nice to see another take on the same problem set. Thanks for doing this.

BlitzStats #28 Posted 29 September 2015 - 10:08 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostAsiaticus, on 28 September 2015 - 12:09 AM, said:

Nice. I am a huge fan of wotbstars.com, but it's also nice to see another take on the same problem set. Thanks for doing this.

Glad you like the site so far. Hopefully things will continue to improve in the coming weeks.

In the last day or so Wargaming has introduced the Clan API endpoint meaning basic clan info can now be retrieved. I've already had a play around and introduced some preliminary features using the API.

They've also added some intriguing new API data structures, but as yet there's no unique data. So we'll see what comes of that...

tlouie #29 Posted 29 September 2015 - 11:20 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 9642 battles
  • [TAT]
BlitzStats, would you consider offering the use of 'median' instead of 'average'?

The median function for the most part returns a value close to the average in many cases, but the advantage it has is that if you have super duper unicom outlier value amongst your population, the median value is less affected by this outlier than the average would be.

BlitzStats #30 Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:42 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

Hi tlouie,

Where abouts would you like to see median instead of mean?

As far as I can remember, off the top of my head, you only 'see' mean in the tank comparisons - and the mean determines the difference numbers and the up/down arrows. The colour of those boxes is however percentile based (so the >50th percentile colour, light green, is based on the median (as 50th percentile is median)).

It is a bit of a discrepancy using the percentile banding for the tank average comparison (colours) and the mean for the numbers. I will look in to that.

There is 'unseen' use of mean in the WN8 calculations. I suppose that could be median too.... the official formula just talks of expected values. Again, I will look in to the details.

BlitzStats #31 Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View Posttlouie, on 29 September 2015 - 11:20 PM, said:

BlitzStats, would you consider offering the use of 'median' instead of 'average'?

The median function for the most part returns a value close to the average in many cases, but the advantage it has is that if you have super duper unicom outlier value amongst your population, the median value is less affected by this outlier than the average would be.

Medians are now used across the board. That means for WN8s, and for the reported values in the tank comparisons.

The player data / tank averages used for the medians and the percentile comparisons is now based on a 40k 'random' player base rather than the BlitzStars visitors/database (to remove the inherent bias involved in dealing with players who are interested in their statistics).

This 40k random player sample breaks down as follows:

~10k from each region

Each account must have 1,500 battles minimum, and have played a game in the last 30 days.

From hundreds of thousands of checked accounts, these filters left us with ~40k total, split between the regions.

The individual tanks must have tier*10 battles, minimum 40, on record, to be counted towards the averages.

These tank filters left us with over 1 million eligible tank records to use.

The resulting averages are not region specific - a player's stats are compared to the whole 40k 'average' sample.

Overall this change has made the averages much more representative of the Blitz playerbase. However, there are still instances (newer tanks, newer top tier tanks) where the number of players meeting the criteria are low. As such, we'll probably bump the number to 80k eligible accounts in due course.

Just to be double-clear:

The WN8 and tank comparisons are now based on data comparing you/the player being viewed to a randomly selected sample of the WoT: Blitz playerbase, and *not* against the rest of the BlitzStars playerbase. This gives a better view of performance compared to the 'average' player rather than just compared to the players who are having their stats checked (usually better than average).

The 'averages' used can be seen via the 'Tank Averages' page. And if anyone wants to just grab the raw .json data to use for whatever, they can.

WN7 now also shows in the player's tank table. And the columns are now filterable, so you can toggle which stats you want to see in the table via the 'columns' button. 

Lots of little things have changed, and hopefully users are starting to see some of their historical data appearing in graphs - giving the 'full experience' of the site.

Next major changes will be to the 'top players' pages, and how they work. I'm particularly interested in 'top players in last X days' type stuff.

As always, any feedback or bugs can be PM'd or posted here on the forums, or you can get in touch via the twitter account.

Xavier5A #32 Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25338 battles
  • [CYCLN]

You've done a great job with this site. Would love to help you out if you need another coder :)

I recently released an API wrapper written in node.js. I've been trying to focus on writing scripts (on top of my wrapper) to get information that you generally don't find on sites like yours. It's very nice to know real gun depression values.

I own 207 tanks. My records at Blitz Stars!

Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f) • Light Mk. VIC • T2 Light Tank • Tetrarch • T7 Combat Car • Type 98 Ke-Ni Otsu • BT-SV • T-15 • Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. J • LTP • M3 Light • Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f) • T-127 • BT-7 artillery • M22 Locust • A-32 • Sentinel AC I • Valentine II • Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f) • Churchill III • Angry Connor • Ram II • Panzer IV Anko Special • Pz.Kpfw. V/IV • T14 • Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai Shinobi • Cromwell B • Dicker Max • Pz.Kpfw. IV Schmalturm • Stridsvagn 74A2 • Kuro Mori Mine • AC IV Sentinel • T-34-85 Victory • T23E3 • E 25 • Type 62 • SU-122-44 • IS-2 • T-34-85 Rudy • Tankenstein • T6 Dracula • FCM 50 t • T26E4 SuperPershing • KV-5 • IS-3 Defender • T-54 first prototype • Löwe • Type 59

Xavier5A #33 Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:56 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25338 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostBlitzStats, on 20 September 2015 - 07:22 PM, said:

PS. Shawk, the link in your sig is broke. Maybe time to update it to something else... ;)

This is one point I don't care for. You use usernames in your URL routing. Usernames can change. Account IDs do not. Bookmarking isn't an excuse because most browsers use the page <title> as the default text anyway.

Since you many not want to break your current routing, why not support both usernames and account_id?

Edited by Xavier5A, 22 October 2015 - 11:57 PM.

Pz.Kpfw. 38H 735 (f) • Light Mk. VIC • T2 Light Tank • Tetrarch • T7 Combat Car • Type 98 Ke-Ni Otsu • BT-SV • T-15 • Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. J • LTP • M3 Light • Pz.Kpfw. S35 739 (f) • T-127 • BT-7 artillery • M22 Locust • A-32 • Sentinel AC I • Valentine II • Pz.Kpfw. B2 740 (f) • Churchill III • Angry Connor • Ram II • Panzer IV Anko Special • Pz.Kpfw. V/IV • T14 • Type 3 Chi-Nu Kai Shinobi • Cromwell B • Dicker Max • Pz.Kpfw. IV Schmalturm • Stridsvagn 74A2 • Kuro Mori Mine • AC IV Sentinel • T-34-85 Victory • T23E3 • E 25 • Type 62 • SU-122-44 • IS-2 • T-34-85 Rudy • Tankenstein • T6 Dracula • FCM 50 t • T26E4 SuperPershing • KV-5 • IS-3 Defender • T-54 first prototype • Löwe • Type 59

BlitzStats #34 Posted 23 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostXavier5A, on 22 October 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

You've done a great job with this site. Would love to help you out if you need another coder :)

I recently released an API wrapper written in node.js. I've been trying to focus on writing scripts (on top of my wrapper) to get information that you generally don't find on sites like yours. It's very nice to know real gun depression values.

Thanks, glad you're liking the site. It's been great to see more and more people using the site, and coming back, even while things are still in beta/testing.

I always appreciate some community code and had I known about the wrapper when I first started working on BlitzStars it would probably have been a useful timesaver, as the whole back-end is node. As you can imagine, at this stage I now also have my own API toolkit on the server for doing the daily stat checks etc.

When I get some more time I'll certainly have a good look over what you've done. Looks good from my brief browsing.

At the moment, I have 1 major thing I am working on (the front and back end code for the significantly improved 'top players' pages, which will offer 30-60-90-day/all time type views of the 'top players;). This is however almost done. Then it's bug-busting and minor additions/fixes, and pushing to leave BETA (with maybe a surprise feature, depending on time constraints!).

After BETA there are a couple of 'significant' features I'm interested in adding, and that may be a good time to consider if extra eyes and brains on the code would help. I certainly appreciate the offer.

Regarding the project & stack:

The project started as a way for me to get some more AngularJS and NodeJS experience under my belt (with no particular intention of the site ever going 'live;) - and so doing as much as possible (time constraints) myself was always a given.

BlitzStars is an AngularJS single page web application, with NodeJS powering the back-end (which mostly just deals with the historical player data).

90% of the code to run the site is AngularJS and runs in the user's web browser rather than on the BlitzStars web server (awesome for loads(yay puns) of reasons). So a proficiency in AngularJS is much more important than NodeJS (but hey, it's still all javascript).

View PostXavier5A, on 22 October 2015 - 11:56 PM, said:

This is one point I don't care for. You use usernames in your URL routing. Usernames can change. Account IDs do not. Bookmarking isn't an excuse because most browsers use the page <title> as the default text anyway.

Since you many not want to break your current routing, why not support both usernames and account_id?

The routing you see is all, 100%, client side. It doesn't 'exist' on any server. All actual routing to the BlitzStars server is account_id based (for example, you'll note the signature links are account_id based).

Adding an alternative player stats page route based on the account ID rather than the player name is certainly possible - but can I ask, why would it be useful? (Genuine question, if there is a / are some good reasons I'd be happy to oblige).

As it is currently, the 'URL' is human readable which de-obfuscates things in the event that a player page link is shared directly (you can get a good idea of where a link will take you - good practise). It would be simpler with account_ids - and I use tank_ids for the player tank view URLs for that reason (and non URL friendly tank names).

As an example:

http://www.blitzstar...er/com/xavier5a

vs

http://www.blitzstar...ayer/1009912015

If someone shares these two links, the top one is clear as to what it is about. The second one is much less human readable. So I consider the top link good practise.

The historical player and tank data is saved by account_id and not player name. Player name changes have happened with BlitzStars users, and so far without any major problems that I'm aware of - pages and history continue to work, and signatures update the name as and when the next historical data record is made.

You do remind me that I have yet to set up route specific page titles which is something I still have on my to-do list! I will before the BETA ends (probably..........).

Xavier5A #35 Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:23 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25338 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostBlitzStats, on 23 October 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

The advantage is that your users can use the account_id form in signatures and they will never break. If they change their username it doesn't matter, the link in their own signature didn't break.

Oh I did forget you do have a bug in your running averages (the top row on your dynamic table when filtering tanks). You don't re-total everything and calculate a new average. This is particularly obvious if you select tier I & IX tanks on my account because the average tier is way off. Your calculation:

Average Tier screenshot

I would expect the average tier here to be 7.09.

Lastly, I know some Angular.js. I use it at work ;)

Lephturn #36 Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:52 PM

First Sergeant

• Club Wargaming
  • 22174 battles
  • [III-S]

View PostXavier5A, on 23 October 2015 - 08:23 AM, said:

The advantage is that your users can use the account_id form in signatures and they will never break. If they change their username it doesn't matter, the link in their own signature didn't break.

This sounds like a tiny edge case. What % of Blitz Stars users change their name in a given month? I'm betting it's a pretty small number. And frankly, if they are going to change names then they can take the 2 minutes to update their signature. I have hundreds of friends in my list in-game and very few have changed names - maybe a few. And I don't think any have done it more than once.

Lephturn Triarii Signature Media Producer

Host of the World of Tanks Blitz podcast TANK BOOM!

Search for "tank boom" on iTunes, Stitcher, SoundCloud or your podcast player of choice!

Android user? Get the Tank Boom! App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tank.boom

af24snipes #37 Posted 23 October 2015 - 01:59 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 10877 battles
This is awesome! I honestly will be using this alongside WoTBstars.

Xavier5A #38 Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:07 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25338 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostLephturn, on 23 October 2015 - 08:52 AM, said:

This sounds like a tiny edge case. What % of Blitz Stars users change their name in a given month? I'm betting it's a pretty small number. And frankly, if they are going to change names then they can take the 2 minutes to update their signature. I have hundreds of friends in my list in-game and very few have changed names - maybe a few. And I don't think any have done it more than once.

I did say originally that it was a preference.

_VEDDER_ #39 Posted 23 October 2015 - 02:27 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Players
  • 38510 battles
  • [501DV]

Awesome work here, really very nice, quick question - what is the Frags stat you see below in my sig? I assume hats average number of games played at Tier 8+ in that 30 day period??

I think a "help" section and/or a guide to better understand an interpolate the data would be helpful. If it's already there I and am missing it my then apologies

http://www.blitzstar.../1009340310.png

The Tanker formerly known as RorakSZ13

Tier X: IS-4, IS-7, Obj 268, E 100, M48A1. T110E5, Obj. 140, FV215b, Leo 1. STB-1, Obj. 263, Grille, M60, T57, AMX 50B

Premium$: Ke-Ni Otsu, Shinobi, T-35-85-Victory, SU-100Y, Tankenstein,SU-122-44, T34 Indy, IS-6, Type 62 Dragon, IS-3D, Löwe, Rudy, Nomad, Dracula, Hel$ing, Glacial, T54 Mod, Lycan

"I gather speed, from you f*ckin' with me"

Xavier5A #40 Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Players
  • 25338 battles
  • [CYCLN]

View PostRorakSZ13, on 23 October 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

Awesome work here, really very nice, quick question - what is the Frags stat you see below in my sig? I assume hats average number of games played at Tier 8+ in that 30 day period??

I think a "help" section and/or a guide to better understand an interpolate the data would be helpful. If it's already there I and am missing it my then apologies

http://www.blitzstar.../1009340310.png

Frags is another word for kills. Maybe it is kills-in-8-9-&-10 divided by all-kills?

Also tagged with statistics, history, stats, website, guide

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users